The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Remastered tracks def sound cleaner and crisp, and bonus cuts are :smokin

Anyone know if this is dropping in vinyl form??

Im not digging the remastered tracks. Its too "clean" and "polished" to a fault. In result from the cleaner sound, some instruments now sound a bit too loud and just strong over the instrumental. It kills the ambiance and how the fluid blend of sound and abel's voice was throughout the albums. Some of the tempos of the songs sounded altered or just thrown off by sounds that once were blended in were now almost seemingly new to the track.

Nonetheless, it didnt hurt me one bit to buy the album, no regrets on that. either way i still have the originals that i will continue to play. I think im going to buy a second copy to just keep in the car and use as a ice breaker for the chicks.

Match the hype in what sense? Obviously he's not going platinum. Only Jay, Kanye, Em etc are doing those numbers. With that said, I think the quality of the music matched the hype. Most relative artist debut at about 100-200k opening week. He was at 91K (correct me if I'm wrong) for his debut. Furthermore, it was essentially music that had been free for the past year with minor differences that the average listener isn't going to notice. I'm a huge fan so my perspective is biased, but I'd honestly like to understand how the hype hasn't been matched.

Agreed with above. Dude isnt even mainstream or on tv at all, added to the fact that all of the music sans 3 songs have been out for a year now. 91K is good in my book

Man you guys stop ok. Im a huge weeknd fan as well.. but in every " Who got next thread" people were sayin the weeknd. Dont say the quality matched the hype. We are talking abiut numbers and every fan including me thought he was going to do over 90k.

Man you guys stop ok. Im a huge weeknd fan as well.. but in every " Who got next thread" people were sayin the weeknd. Dont say the quality matched the hype. We are talking abiut numbers and every fan including me thought he was going to do over 90k.
I'm not trying to attack your view point at all. Just dead to god honest trying to understand why the hype wasn't matched. My day to day life and social circle is far removed the typical crowd that would enjoy this type of music, so often the things that are hyped in my life are things I hype up.

Wait people expected him to do numbers off a re release? This guy has sold out plenty of shows and more than likely has a larger following than Frank Ocean. To put it in perspective he outsold NeYo who is an established artist with a year old material that was released for free.

Because a repacked re-release only did around 90k, he isn't likely to be the big thing next year?

Because a repacked re-release only did around 90k, he isn't likely to be the big thing next year?

Don't listen to this guy.

90K is very good for songs that we ALREADY HAVE.
This man released an improved quality portfolio of OLD songs. C'mon son :smokin

He did very well IMO

I have heard songs from dude here and there but never downloaded his stuff i liked SOME stuff i heard but again never really went out of my way to hear some of his stuff. But i picked up the trilogy from target for 11.99 and im gonna listen to each cd straight for one month so i can get a fill for each disc im a listen to hous of balloons for a month then listen to the next cd and so forth. Im REALLY liking that song wicked games or whatver its called that third verse when he talking bout he shoulda hit it raw and feeling like a million bucks and all that **** is :pimp: :pimp: that song and song number 3 cant remember the name of it been getting the instant rewind and the song party and after party mannn its very good only thing is...........listening yo dude mzkes me want to hear some new music from the dream since he sounds a lil like him

EDIT: just figured out the song i rally like IS party and after party and not wicked games

Last edited:
Im not digging the remastered tracks. Its too "clean" and "polished" to a fault. In result from the cleaner sound, some instruments now sound a bit too loud and just strong over the instrumental. It kills the ambiance and how the fluid blend of sound and abel's voice was throughout the albums. Some of the tempos of the songs sounded altered or just thrown off by sounds that once were blended in were now almost seemingly new to the track.
Nonetheless, it didnt hurt me one bit to buy the album, no regrets on that. either way i still have the originals that i will continue to play. I think im going to buy a second copy to just keep in the car and use as a ice breaker for the chicks.
this is EXACTLY how i feel.  the remastered tracks are definitely nice sonically but theyre missing what the mixtapes have. there's almost like a gritty, dark feeling that you only get with the old ones.

either way i still picked up a copy for the whip, yambs love it and i gotta support the dude.

90,970 is not good and its not bad. It's quite average.

I didn't not live up to the hype. There was people in here saying he would go platinum his first week or at least gold. There was people saying in this thread that he would sell 300,000K first week sales.

I only seen 3-4 people post pictures of 3-4 trilogy copies that they purchased. I'm assuming the rest of the hardcore fans on here just downloaded it, when they swore up and down they would purchase it, and at least 3 copies.

"Why should I buy it if I can download it"

Who cares if it was released already or people could have downloaded it....doesn't make the 90K first week numbers any more respectable or better.

Funny in 2012....90K first week = Gold

back in the day 90K first week was a fail and could get you dropped from a label...

Wicked Games getting mad radio play in MD.

I was talking to my younger brother (14) about what music he listens to..to my knowledge mainly Chief Keef, Meek trap type stuff and whatever else young teens are on.. Asked him if he listens to any R&B he said "What's R&B? You mean like The Weeknd and stuff? Nahhh" :lol:

It was kind of surprising that he even knew who The Weeknd was, much less that he immediately identified the R&B genre with him.. homie is blowing up fast

Last edited:
"Unlike you I got nothin to hiiiide"

Jumped up to my top 5.

"I don't pretend to have annnyyy shame"

Took a while but this joint grew on me like crazy. Valerie still has the throne though.

Last edited:
I think that The Weeknd is an extremely sensational breath of fresh air. Although he can be monotonous at times, its still beautiful music. Great music to make love to...

Ya Dig!

90,970 is not good and its not bad. It's quite average.

I didn't not live up to the hype. There was people in here saying he would go platinum his first week or at least gold. There was people saying in this thread that he would sell 300,000K first week sales.

I only seen 3-4 people post pictures of 3-4 trilogy copies that they purchased. I'm assuming the rest of the hardcore fans on here just downloaded it, when they swore up and down they would purchase it, and at least 3 copies.

"Why should I buy it if I can download it"

Who cares if it was released already or people could have downloaded it....doesn't make the 90K first week numbers any more respectable or better.

Funny in 2012....90K first week = Gold

back in the day 90K first week was a fail and could get you dropped from a label...

Basically you're saying who cares about the reality of the current situation?

The facts are -

1. this is a re-release of free material. those dudes who swore he'd sell 300k were probably not talking about a re-release of year old material. even eminem would have trouble going platinum releasing old songs.
2. he's barely on the radio and hasn't been interviewed once.
3. back in the day numbers are completely irrelevant, in 2012 100k is solid. back in the day everyone was going platinum, the game has changed.
4. even more important, sales don't really matter. im not sure why people try and be backseat A&Rs. the Weeknd sells out shows anywhere he goes, his online following is huge, he actually cares about his music and his image. in 2012, sales are pretty damn irrelevant.

or you can ignore all that, and just rah rah about the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom