THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can go down a rankings list for this senior class now and pick a random kid that’s ranked 145 or something...and headed to Winthrop. If he ends being a lottery pick...there’s no underdog story there?

Didn’t see this part but

does this kid have superior hoop genetics and hand eye like Steph? And does he Have an NBA father?

that has to account for something I think

Again it’s relative to your definition on what an underdog is

for me, if youre an NBA son who is all state in HS, gets an D1 scholarship, then is league bound by your sophomore year (he could of left after 2) I have a hard time finding the underdog story in that. Then ended up being a high lotto pick. I don’t see it.

For me, not getting looked at by high majors doesn’t mean you’re an underdog.

We’ll agree to disagree here. Because I’d argue by the very definition of underdog...that the path that a non ranked, mid major prospect that ends up becoming a high draft pick qualifies one as such.

Nobody knew who Ja Morant was 3 years ago...he went to Murray state and became a #2 pick. That’s underdog to me...

If Scotty Pippen Jr ends up killing at vanderbilt and becomes an NBA lottery pick...that’s an underdog to me. I don’t really know if it matters who his dad is. One of my best friends is the son of an NBA legend...and I can tell from first hand experience that who his dad was didn’t mean **** basketball wise. His superior hoop genetics didn’t give him any more advantage than ****** who could everything he could...without “hoop genetics”.

I feel like there is definitely a difference between being an underdog and exceeding expectations. That seems to be getting blurred a bit when it comes to this though.

Saying Steph is an underdog is like saying Bronny James is an underdog if he makes it to the league and balls out.
Nah that's cool.

In high school he was an all-state player that won 3 conference titles in his 3 years playing in NC and then went on to college where he continued to dominate and was an All-American his Soph and Junior years. Then was the #7 pick in the draft where most thought he clearly should've gone higher.

Being skinny is the only "knock" he's ever had. Born with a silver spoon, but worked hard, was incredibly skilled and was ALWAYS a dominant basketball player at every level.

Just doesn't really scream underdog TO ME. I understand if people feel otherwise though.

Nah.

First of all, there’s a big difference between growing up in this day and age where everything is so easily hyped up through social media and LeBron is able to promote his son every day of the week. Steph was coming up in the time where MySpace was the biggest social media and Facebook was first released. There’s also a big difference between being the son of LeBron ******* James and Dell Curry.

Curry was a little skinny *** kid at a private Christian high school that couldn’t muster up any better scholarships than Davidson. I’d say going from that to turning himself into the player he was at Davidson and who he is today is a decent underdog story.

We’ll agree to disagree here. Because I’d argue by the very definition of underdog...that the path that a non ranked, mid major prospect that ends up becoming a high draft pick qualifies one as such.

Nobody knew who Ja Morant was 3 years ago...he went to Murray state and became a #2 pick. That’s underdog to me...

If Scotty Pippen Jr ends up killing at vanderbilt and becomes an NBA lottery pick...that’s an underdog to me. I don’t really know if it matters who his dad is. One of my best friends is the son of an NBA legend...and I can tell from first hand experience that who his dad was didn’t mean **** basketball wise.

So by no means is having a rich NBA dad a guarantee that you’ll make the league, but it unequivocally gives you enormous life advantages that allow you be a kid and grow with the sport without worrying about where your next meal is coming from, and that’s before you get to the superior genes that someone like Steph inherited.

SCJR was winning state titles at Sierra canyon and got a scholly to Vanderbilt.I can’t get jiggy with him being an underdog

Idk how Ja grew up, but a 6’3 athletic marvel going to Murray state and becoming a lottery pick don’t scream underdog to me either. I’m sure he was all state as a High schooler and was on NBA radars since the end of his freshman year.

Nah.

First of all, there’s a big difference between growing up in this day and age where everything is so easily hyped up through social media and LeBron is able to promote his son every day of the week. Steph was coming up in the time where MySpace was the biggest social media and Facebook was first released. There’s also a big difference between being the son of LeBron ****ing James and Dell Curry.

Curry was a little skinny *** kid at a private Christian high school that couldn’t muster up any better scholarships than Davidson. I’d say going from that to turning himself into the player he was at Davidson and who he is today is a decent underdog story.

steph “not being able to muster up any better scholarships than Davidson” just isn’t true.

just like post bulls era, the NBA just has to find its footing as far as how people digest the NBA in 2020.

The public got conditioned to Steph Bron KD Cavs Warriors.NBA kind of got lazy and rested on this and now that that element is gone, there’s no angle as close to that rivalry yet.

LAL/ LAC has that potential if they meet in the playoffs. Big market rivalries with stars always works. Giannis. The league actually has to put in the effort to build the next wave and massage that relationship with the consumer.

Last edited:
When I think of an underdog I think of Devean George or like Dennis Rodman or something.

just like post bulls era, the NBA just has to find its footing as far as how people digest the NBA in 2020.

The public got conditioned to Steph Bron KD Cavs Warriors.NBA kind of got lazy and rested on this and now that that element is gone, there’s no angle as close to that rivalry yet.

LAL/ LAC has that potential if they meet in the playoffs
With the way social media posts moments of games or highlights real time, casuals probably don’t mind “following” the league this way as opposed to spending 3 hours watching the whole thing

With the way social media posts moments of games or highlights real time, casuals probably don’t mind “following” the league this way as opposed to spending 3 hours watching the whole thing

Yep Yep. Now how do you actually quantify that in a way that represents the league’s standing is the issue.

When I think of an underdog I think of Devean George or like Dennis Rodman or something.

I'm not conflating a person's non-basketball life to their basketball prospects. I feel like that's a COMPLETELY separate conversation. I am speaking simply about on-court basketball activity...and the different paths/levels of development players embark on.

KD - I’m assuming you’re talking about the ‘14 Spurs. Duncan was the best player on that team in that series...Kawhi averaged 11ppg.

Dirk - I’m assuming you’re talking about the 14 Spurs again. Kawhi averaged 11ppg that series.

Blake & CP - I’m assuming you’re talking about the 2012 Clips. Kawhi rookie year. Those the ones that stuck out immediately to me.

But cook.

I look at more than points scored to determine a player’s impact on a series. Im not saying I’m right or you’re wrong but I see where the disconnect is. If I’m being honest I would say KD was the best player on the last 3 warriors teams but I’d assume that you’d say Steph was. Again, tough to say who’s right but that’s sports, right? Having said all this, however, I don’t see how anyone can Have another player ahead of LeBron.

Steph was a physical underdog for sure. Undersized, average athleticism...and the fact that his dad was an NBA player means very little.

NBA players whose father was also an NBA player is an extreme minority.

I don't think anyone on here can come up with 30 names throughout nba history of a player whose father was also an NBA player... And the nba drafts what.. 60 players a year?

If you can name 30 names... Please list them.

Of the top 50 players in nba history, how many had a son who made the nba?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom