THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, it's not to discredit. These are facts. The game has changed a ton, and players have played faster and faster since SSOL. The Showtime Lakers were the Showtime Lakers for a reason. Now it seems everyone plays at that pace.

What if I told you....the mid 80s pistons also played at that pace, and gave up a ton of points? That doesn’t go along with perception right. League wide, everybody played fast. That’s how basketball was meant to be played tbh. There’s a bell curve on this.

19E1C845-5B8F-49D1-A2D8-738F723C1A19.png

0438C95C-CC8C-40C9-A407-EF56038614AE.png

I see **** about “Magic’s era”....when the showtime Lakers played at one of the fastest paced ever and averaged 122 PPG :lol:.

People have a misunderstanding of the arc of basketball in terms of scoring, pace, defense etc. it’s a reason that today...is the fastest pace of ball played SINCE the late 70s to mid 80s.

Don’t see dudes rushing to discredit that era tho. Funny.

This is completely ignoring the offensive strategies of the day & the rule changes to defense.... the difference in today's game compared to 10-20 years ago is much more than the pace picking up.

And To put this in reference the highest PPG the showtime Lakers had during their entire tenure was 118ppg. That was a team that has two guys in the discussion of
TOP 5 EVER to play the game, along with two other HOF'ers on the roster.

Milwaukee this season is at 119ppg.......

This isn't some conspiracy or people trying to downplay the new generation at all, Simply put the NBA has set in rule changes to boost scoring & excitement. Coaches & players have adapted to the rule changes and have followed suit by employing strategies to boost offense.

There's nothing the new players can do about tit this is the era they were born in, but comparing guys numbers and stats w/o the context behind it is ridiculous. and completely undermines former players accomplishments.

It's gotta tell you something about the game when Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double and it takes 55 years for someone else to do it then all of a sudden Russ does it 3 years in a row and the year he doesn't a sophomore steps up and does the same thing. It's just hard to be blown away by that. Again I'm not hating but when stuff like that happens it takes a higher benchmark to be impressed by statistics. You gotta raise the bar even higher because the game has changed so much. Something like 6 rings, two 3 peats and undefeated in the Finals stands the test of time and will always be impressive

It's the same thing they did in football. The league actively made rule changes to cater to one side of the floor. That however does not mean everything is better and we can just discredit people from the past like y'all love to do on here.

The pace has increased as well as pretty much every team in the league adopting chucking 3s regardless of personnel. In 2014 the Rockets led the league in 3 point FGA with 26.4; this season the Spurs are LAST in the league at 27.3 3 point FGA. Everything is inflated if you ask me.

wherever he wants? you either keep him and risk losing him or nothing, or trade him for a first if you can get it. if they really want him, they can chase him in FA.
The only teams that have cap space are other teams that suck like the Hawks. Are the Hawks going to give him some ridiculous amount of money that the Wizards wouldn't want to match since they have his bird rights?

You think Bertans is going to take the MLE to play for a better team after having the best year of his career?

He fits perfectly alongside Wall and Beal and the Wizards want to keep him.

They sent Luka an invite , might as well send Lonzo one too. He’s shootings at a better percentage from 3 lol

Oh? Seems like we sure hear plenty about every Clippers loss on here these days...
uhhh is this your first day on niketalk? you must be mistaken because all i see is gifs and post cheering every laker loss in here. you will see one or two people cheering a clipper loss compared to an entire made up internet gang full of posts about lolakers

This is completely ignoring the offensive strategies of the day & the rule changes to defense.... the difference in today's game compared to 10-20 years ago is much more than the pace picking up.

And To put this in reference the highest PPG the showtime Lakers had during their entire tenure was 118ppg. That was a team that has two guys in the discussion of
TOP 5 EVER to play the game, along with two other HOF'ers on the roster.

Milwaukee this season is at 119ppg.......

This isn't some conspiracy or people trying to downplay the new generation at all, Simply put the NBA has set in rule changes to boost scoring & excitement. Coaches & players have adapted to the rule changes and have followed suit by employing strategies to boost offense.

There's nothing the new players can do about tit this is the era they were born in, but comparing guys numbers and stats w/o the context behind it is ridiculous. and completely undermines former players accomplishments.

Michael Jordan had his best season when the pace was the same as it is now.....

Oscar Robinson averaged a triple double playing at an even faster pace than today...against....well, I won’t disrespect those players he played with. He played with who he played with.

Let’s not even do wilt. And some of the 90s scorers benefited from no help defense and some mo’ ****, even when playing at a slow pace. It’s all relative. The greats are great by whatever circumstance they are in...and they produce.

Point is....great players benefit from a set of unique circumstances unique to them over time. It be insane to try and diminish one era of stats...while holding up another as “true” stats because of the inconsistencies. The only Consistency is great players being great regardless.

What were essentially doing here is discrediting players for improving as basketball players...and playing smarter basketball :lol:. We have guys maximizing their talent. That’s a GOOD thing.

What’s the obvious difference between these two players? Very interesting how THEY treat one player vs the other. We won’t talk about it though
One played for the Lakers and the other didn’t

THEY would be reppin the F outta Luka if he was one of THEM

It's gotta tell you something about the game when Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double and it takes 55 years for someone else to do it then all of a sudden Russ does it 3 years in a row and the year he doesn't a sophomore steps up and does the same thing.
Russ is one of my favorite players, but absolutely this. I never thought I'd see it, then Russ seemed to do it effortlessly. Whatever is happening, the game is changing drastically. Like I said, I think it has more to do with analytics controlling the shots teams decide to take and almost revealing how chance can be leveraged to a certain extent.

The pace has definitely changed a lot over time. There's no denying that. And when I checked raw team PPG not too long ago I saw that there wasn't really that much of a spike in raw points, but looking at shooting charts it's almost undeniable.

It's gotta tell you something about the game when Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double and it takes 55 years for someone else to do it then all of a sudden Russ does it 3 years in a row and the year he doesn't a sophomore steps up and does the same thing. It's just hard to be blown away by that. Again I'm not hating but when stuff like that happens it takes a higher benchmark to be impressed by statistics. You gotta raise the bar even higher because the game has changed so much. Something like 6 rings, two 3 peats and undefeated in the Finals stands the test of time and will always be impressive

What if I told you it took 55 years for the pace to reach what it was when Oscar was averaging a triple double? :lol:. See how that works?

And. The bar is a 20 year old 6’8 position-less Euro...averaging a 30ppg triple double in his 2nd season...while driving winning and hitting 3s and doing it from every part of the floor.

When you combine a skill increase, with pace increase and the 3pt line...you’ll have what we see today. Utilizing the 3pt line is a benefit for sure. But let’s not ignore the skill it takes to shoot step back 3s off the bounce and some more ****.

What’s the obvious difference between these two players? Very interesting how THEY treat one player vs the other. We won’t talk about it though
One is really really good and the other is really really hyped..

Point is....great players benefit from a set of unique circumstances unique to them over time. It be insane to try and diminish one era of stats...while holding up another as “true” stats because of the inconsistencies. The only Consistency is great players being great regardless.

What were essentially doing here is discrediting players for improving as basketball players...and playing smarter basketball :lol:. We have guys maximizing their talent. That’s a GOOD thing.
Again, I don't mean to diminish or hold one era over another. Just want to be clear how DIFFERENT the game is today. I'm not sure you can deny it.

While I agree that players have got better, organizations have also added analytics guys who seem to have a huge say in how a team plays.

any chance he returns at MSG friday ?:nerd:
I doubt it. Sounds like Pels wants to work him in slowly.

Did his first full practice a week ago. Did his first 4 on 4 yesterday. Doing his first 5 on 5 today.

I think the next step is for him to do a couple more 5 on 5s and then assess from there.

What if I told you it took 55 years for the pace to reach what it was when Oscar was averaging a triple double? :lol:. See how that works?

And. The bar is a 20 year old 6’8 position-less Euro...averaging a 30ppg triple double in his 2nd season...while driving winning and hitting 3s and doing it from every part of the floor.

When you combine a skill increase, with pace increase and the 3pt line...you’ll have what we see today. Utilizing the 3pt line is a benefit for sure. But let’s not ignore the skill it takes to shoot step back 3s off the bounce and some more ****.
The bar is winning :lol:. That tells you who's the best of each era, how much better are you than your peers at the ultimate goal? Rings are the great equalizer that neutralizes all the differences over the years. When all your competition is playing by the same rules, how often do you come out on top? No way around it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom