THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many have a comparable resume?

Most points all time (will not be broken in our lifetime)
6 time MVP (record).
19 time all star (record)
11 time all defensive
6 time champion
Lol that's why I'm asking are people basing it off resume or players they've seen? Seems like people weave in and out of using resume versus eye test when beneficial for their argument. Most of the people in here are around 30 and under, so they didn't see Kareem either.

As nice as that sounds the ABA had some star players early in Kareem's career and he still only had one title without Magic

And Magic had no rings without Kareem.

And MJ had no rings without Scottie.

And Kobe had no rings without either Shaq or Pau.

And LeBron had no rings without other all stars playing with him.

We can play that game with anyone . . .

Lol that's why I'm asking are people basing it off resume or players they've seen? Seems like people weave in and out of using resume versus eye test when beneficial for their argument. Most of the people in here are around 30 and under, so they didn't see Kareem either.
Well using "eye test" to judge the greatest player of all time makes zero sense at all. That's a historical accolade. "Yeah FDR was great but in my eye test Bill Clinton was the best"

I actually have heard that argument made for LeBron though :lol: "Yeah I understand if you look at all the facts Jordan was better but I never saw him play so I say LeBron's better." What...

Kareem had 15 seasons of all NBA play. MJ had 11. MJ like Magic and Bird squeezed great success into a shorter time period but longevity has to matter as well. Kareem won MVP his 2nd year in the league and all 6 came within 10 seasons only 1 of them being with Magic. That's dominance.

Well using "eye test" to judge the greatest player of all time makes zero sense at all. That's a historical accolade. "Yeah FDR was great but in my eye test Bill Clinton was the best"

I actually have heard that argument made for LeBron though :lol: "Yeah I understand if you look at all the facts Jordan was better but I never saw him play so I say LeBron's better." What...

Naw eye test def gotta play a role in rating players...mainly due to comparing em thru different eras so numbers can be skewed differently but watching on court action could help paint a better picture

And Magic had no rings without Kareem.

And MJ had no rings without Scottie.

And Kobe had no rings without either Shaq or Pau.

And LeBron had no rings without other all stars playing with him.

We can play that game with anyone . . .

Cute , but Kareem wasn't the best player on his team during his last handful of years

I mean either way I think rating players purely off the numbers is dumb too. Adjusting for competition and such is important. Bill Russell's resume is better than a lot of elite big men that I wouldn't place him over based on the film I've seen of him. Rating guys purely off of numbers and accolades probably isn't the best way to do it either.

Clearly I don't think eye test only is the way to rate guys. But how can someone who never saw Wilt Chamberlain play tell me he's better than LeBron?

Yeah, I actually did get to see Kareem play, but it was only from 1986 on, at the tail end of his career. Judging his all-time place in the game just based on those years would be like judging MJ just based on the Wizard years.

I mean either way I think rating players purely off the numbers is dumb too. Adjusting for competition and such is important. Bill Russell's resume is better than a lot of elite big men that I wouldn't place him over based on the film I've seen of him. Rating guys purely off of numbers and accolades probably isn't the best way to do it either.

Clearly I don't think eye test only is the way to rate guys. But how can someone who never saw Wilt Chamberlain play tell me he's better than LeBron?
Yeah Russell is from an era that was so different. I don't even put him in these discussions but do acknowledge he was dominant

Kareem had the most unstoppable shot ever. I can't believe dudes are debating his worthiness as the GOAT. Even before his NBA career dude was winning literally all the time.

Love this video, that "I wasn't there to watch him" thing works to an extent but there's enough footage and data out there to form a good enough opinion.

Off of eye Test and accolades (personal in modern era)

Mike
Shaq
Magic
Duncan
Bird
Bron
Hakeem
Kobe
KD
Steph

That’s it!

Steph is already better than him

Kobe passed him too

The other more recent dudes I would take over him comfortably, especially LeBron, Duncan and Shaq

source.gif

I thought we agreed to never mention Wardell in the same sentence with the GOATPG ever again after ANOTHER choke job in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom