THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stockton was a 5x all-defense guy and the NBA all-time leader in steals. He wasn't some schlub.
Guarding point guards back then versus the lead guards we see with the ball now. Come on. He was also a hand check god. He’d be hand checking like hell just to try and keep these guys in front of him today. Who’s saying he’s a “schlub”? He would get cooked in this era.

this era of basketball is so god damn ugly :lol:

dudes going under every screen and a bunch of guards scared to shoot perimeter shots.
Which is why saying he “cooked Prime Kidd” is a stretch. :lol: Dudes were playing him like he was TJ McConnell in that clip.

Who would he be able to guard?

He could move his feet Really well :lol:. I think Stockton understood Positional defense. He wasn’t slow. He was strong. And had crazy hands and timing.

You pretending like he couldn’t guard the perimeter is wild. Worse come to worse...throw him on the worst offensive threat.

Trae Young is my guy and I’m a big fan...but he might be one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen at PG. Hes doing fine. John Stockton isn’t beholden to an era in basketball. Especially when we seen him play from super fast to super slow and have success. He played 20 years.

Which is why saying he “cooked Prime Kidd” is a stretch. :lol: Dudes were playing him like he was TJ McConnell in that clip.

A 40 year old PG...dropping 25 against his matchup (an mvp caliber PG in his prime)....and the best defense in basketball at that time....is cooked in my book.

Idk how you’d define it :lol:. Byron Scott, J Kidd, RJ...Whoever was responsible for going under on Stock was on them. They got cooked by a 40 year old pg.

You pretending like he couldn’t guard the perimeter is wild. Worse come to worse...throw him on the worst offensive threat.
:lol: How am I pretending he couldn’t guard? I’m saying he can’t guard these guys today. That’s not the same and you know it. If you have to hide him on the worst offensive guy, then you’re proving my point that he can’t guard the PGs today. That’s all I’m saying.

Point guard play back then versus what it is now is completely different. He’s not guarding these guys like he did in the 80-90s. He’s also much further down my list of top PGs.

He could move his feet Really well :lol:. I think Stockton understood Positional defense. He wasn’t slow. He was strong. And had crazy hands and timing.

Trae Young is my guy and I’m a big fan...but he might be one of the worst defenders I’ve ever seen at PG. Hes doing fine. John Stockton isn’t beholden to an era in basketball. Especially when we seen him play from super fast to super slow and have success. He played 20 years.
Dudes in here talking absolutely reckless about Stockton. He would basically be Chris Paul in the modern era.

And it's funny, with all of the modern guards that got named, Stockton would actually be the best defender of the bunch, and all of those guys would struggle to defend HIM.

Listen to what guys like GP/Kidd/Zeke say about him.

A 40 year old PG...dropping 25 against his matchup (an mvp caliber PG in his prime)....and the best defense in basketball at that time....is cooked in my book.

Idk how you’d define it :lol:. Byron Scott, J Kidd, RJ...Whoever was responsible for going under on Stock was on them. They got cooked by a 40 year old pg.
In a clip where he’s shooting mostly wide open jumpshots, I’m not selling it to anyone as him cooking anyone :lol:.

So you’re saying he’d be a perfect fit for today :lol:

Yeah I'm saying. Not sure what D StaXX D StaXX was getting at.

in the 90s, they'd clear an entire side of the floor and run PnR. the rules prohibited help defense so you couldn't rotate over and help. there's clips of bill cartwright standing in the weakside corner 3 just so his man couldn't help when jordan isolated the opposite side of the floor. cartwright's man actually had to stay within arms length, and couldn't just camp the paint and help.

This. I'd say his numbers are slightly inflated due to the rules back then.
The majority of Stockton's assists were either for guys coming off screens or EASY post entry passes and break aways. A lot of those assist are based off Malone's ability to finish.
Stockton was really good, but he doesn't do anything remarkable imo.
I appreciate his grittiness and longevity, but I can't put him in the same sentence as Magic, Steph, & CP3.

If Stockton wasn't white would people respect his game more?
AmericanRace.jpeg

Dudes in here talking absolutely reckless about Stockton. He would basically be Chris Paul in the modern era.

And it's funny, with all of the modern guards that got named, Stockton would actually be the best defender of the bunch, and all of those guys would struggle to defend HIM.

this is the hill you want to die on? that stockton would be clamping modern day guards, and they'd struggle to guard him?

What are we considering prime Chris Paul? What seasons?

Just remember that Stockton was 17 pts/14 ast/3 stl on over 50% shooting from the field in his.

i think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the help defense rules of the 90s. that 14 assists is funny in the light when you realize you could run PnR on one side of the floor, and defenders on the opposite side were literally not allowed to stray from their man. bill ******* cartwright shot 2 threes in his career, and the bulls legit ran sets where he was in the weakside corner just so his man couldn't help :lol:

What are we considering prime Chris Paul? What seasons?

Just remember that Stockton was 17 pts/14 ast/3 stl on over 50% shooting from the field in his.
Funny when counting stats matter and they don’t :lol:. But counting stats and analytics both will show CP3’s peak as being better.

this is the hill you want to die on? that stockton would be clamping modern day guards, and they'd struggle to guard him?

i think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the help defense rules of the 90s. that 14 assists is funny in the light when you realize you could run PnR on one side of the floor, and defenders on the opposite side were literally not allowed to stray from their man. bill ****ing cartwright shot 2 threes in his career, and the bulls legit ran sets where he was in the weakside corner just so his man couldn't help :lol:
So what you're saying is that there is no way that one of the best playmakers of all time could have adapted to a spread PnR system like we are seeing a ton of in today's game? That's fine if you want to call his assist numbers inflated. You don't think he could do 9-11 per game though like today's assist leaders?

Especially when you add in the fact that he is a good shooter that would be shooting more 3s himself and putting even more pressure on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom