THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Micah Downs, still getting love over Marcus Williams, all these years later. Marcus owned that clown in head-to-head matchups. How Micah Downs was a McDonald's All American, I'll never know. Glad he was exposed for the fraud he was in college. Didn't help that his father was a lunatic.

On another note, Justin Holt vs. B-Roy in the first round. I watched that Lincoln team destroy Garfield in person at the state tourney in 2002 (Lincoln ended up winning the title). Holt was fouled on the first two possessions, hit all four free throws, did the Darius Miles celebration, and you just knew it was over in the first two minutes. It should be noted that Marcellus Kemp (leading scorer for Garfield) was injured and missed that tournament, but I'm still not sure they would have won because Garfield was so poorly coached. But, man, Holt was a beast in high school.
Facts, I was there too. Garfield coach Floyd I think, trash coach

used to hoop with all these cats in the 99-02 high school range. Marcus Williams was super nice. T-will, and brooks were next level in hs. B Roy was head at rim level his soph/junior years, by the time he was killing at UW his hops were way down.

He pulled that "number" out of thin air during that convo with Jay Williams. He doesn't know man. :lol:

Oh ok. So you are from out there.

Explain the differences in the sections of the city.

Who is from where.

Where are the hoods at? When I was out there I didn't see any.

Haha by no means am I claiming to be about that life or anything but I did grow up in Rainier Valley in the 90s and moved down to Skyway (up the hill from Rainier Beach) toward the 2000s. Seattle has changed a lot in the past decade because of Amazon money so there's been gentrification and a lot of people have been forced to move south to Kent (Rodney Stuckey), Auburn, Federal Way (Jaden McDaniels), Tacoma (Isaiah Thomas), etc.

However, the hoods up until the recent gentrification of the past decade or so were Central District (CD), which is where Garfield High is (Brandon Roy, Tony Wroten, Jaylen Nowell), and then as you go down Rainier Ave/MLK the Southend which includes Franklin High (Jason Terry, Aaron Brooks, Peyton Siva) and Rainier Beach (Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford, Nate Rob, DeJounte Murray, Kevin Porter Jr.). If you were to drive down Rainier Ave from Franklin High School toward Rainier Beach, some parts is still beat (pass Columbia City) but a lot people got bought out and/or developed on. Anything from CD and north today isn't hood at all IMO. Nathan Hale, where Michael Porter Jr. went to senior year is up there near Northgate, he pretty much got recruited by Brandon Roy, who coached at the time, and his pops was assistant coach at UW under Romar at the time I believe. O'Dea and Seattle Prep High are both north of Garfield in downtown area-ish, where some other hoopers and football guys came out from.

Marvin Williams is from Bremerton, which is about an hour west across the waters and is sort of a military community. Bothell (Zach Levine) is essentially northeast of Seattle and is a true suburb not too far from Microsoft's HQ in Redmond.

Most people that visit Seattle don't really come to the Southend like that because there's not really much down here unless you got family or friends from here. Yelp and Trip Advisor will tell you to go to Cap Hill, Downtown/South Lake Union, or upward (Ballard, Fremont etc.). Now people might check out a place in Georgetown or Columbia City, but I'd highly doubt it because the spots most people want to check out are centralized.

dmbrhs dmbrhs

Were you able to see Ridnour in HS?

Ryan Appleby?

Any stories?

I think I saw Appleby once at state. Never saw Ridnour. He was this mysterious dude who lived, like, a few miles from the Canadian border. It was a big deal when he signed at Oregon over Washington....then was drafted by the Sonics, so then local fans had to embrace him.

The craziest story about basketball in Washington from that time period was the 3A state title game in 2001. It was Rainier Beach, with Nate Robinson, the twins (Lodrick and Rodrick Stewart), Tyrone Shepard (this 6'8" behemoth in the middle), and a bunch of super athletic black dudes vs. this lilly-white white team from what is essentially Trump country. It wasn't even close. Mount Vernon destroyed them in the title game. People were shocked. Mount Vernon went undefeated that season.

Also, my comment about Garfield's terrible coaches is completely warranted. I think it was 2002 (I can't remember, and don't feel like looking it up), but after our girls team had won the conference title game, we stuck around in our seats for Garfield vs. Franklin, because this was the big Aaron Brooks vs. Brandon Roy showdown. Marcellus was healthy as well. Intense game that Franklin won. Franklin routinely beat Garfield with inferior teams because their coach was amazing.

206to813 206to813

Good breakdown. Thanks for explaining all of that. I have always had a soft spot for Seattle and over the last 20 years, yall pumping out so many ball players definitely made me even MORE interested.

When I was out there 2 years ago, I made sure to find a way to drive past Reiner Beach HS due to the history they have with basketball.

How was Nate as a High Schooler? Did people think he was going to be the one that made it out? I remember the Stewart Twins getting most of the hype but then they didn't do much at USC/KU.

Nate seems like a wild dude that was saved by sports.

Facts, I was there too. Garfield coach Floyd I think, trash coach

used to hoop with all these cats in the 99-02 high school range. Marcus Williams was super nice. T-will, and brooks were next level in hs. B Roy was head at rim level his soph/junior years, by the time he was killing at UW his hops were way down.

Yeah, Brandon in mid high school could FLY. His knees were deteriorating in high school already. We just didn't know how bad it was until many years later.

206to813 206to813

Good breakdown. Thanks for explaining all of that. I have always had a soft spot for Seattle and over the last 20 years, yall pumping out so many ball players definitely made me even MORE interested.

When I was out there 2 years ago, I made sure to find a way to drive past Reiner Beach HS due to the history they have with basketball.

How was Nate as a High Schooler? Did people think he was going to be the one that made it out? I remember the Stewart Twins getting most of the hype but then they didn't do much at USC/KU.

Nate seems like a wild dude that was saved by sports.

Everyone assumed Nate would make it as a pro athlete in some regard, but I thought it'd be as a running back. He was dog crap as a CB (his one year on the UW football team showed that). I did NOT think he'd have the NBA career he had, especially after leaving early. And, I'll never forgive the NBA for gifting him those dunk contest titles just for being short.

The Stewart twins were victims of their father. Lots of talent and athleticism, but overbearing father. He decided they were a package deal when it came to recruiting, and wouldn't listen to anyone who wouldn't take both. They would have been better off in different places. Not saying they would have thrived apart, but their dad insisting they play together ruined their potential careers, and turned off every major program in the country. Just stupid.

Yeah, Brandon in mid high school could FLY. His knees were deteriorating in high school already. We just didn't know how bad it was until many years later.

Didn’t even know B-Roy ever had that kind of bounce. Makes me even more depressed about how his career went:frown:

Loved dude’s game...

Yeah I thought Nate was going to make it in football, he did his thing in highschool track as well.

This gotta be one of the worst fits of all time

This....

315C51B6-867A-4E41-881A-442894865FD7.jpeg

and when he made Grown men...dress in his image :rofl:

CDF7F0E8-57C9-40DE-B7B5-2732AF913ECF.jpeg

E7336DF8-35C9-4168-9EC7-6DE3FDEADCE1.jpeg

So with Isaiah Thomas, when did yall know he was special? When he went away for Prep School?

Also, I am SURE everybody thought Wroten was the ONE right? I remember hearing so much about dude

Didn’t even know B-Roy ever had that kind of bounce. Makes me even more depressed about how his career went:frown:

Loved dude’s game...

Effortless bounce, so fundamentally sound, just impossible to guard. My best friend, who actually had to play against him in high school, still talks about how he could get up back then. I mostly only saw him when my school was playing against him (same conference, graduated same year). My friend plays in adult rec leagues with all sorts of people (even Jamal Crawford will show up sometimes), and I ask if Brandon plays, and he said he shows up sometimes just to shoot the crap with his friends. But, Brandon can't even play men's rec league because his knees are that bad. My friend is bummed, because he actually would like to play against him, if only for the fact to know his knees are good enough for it. It's incredibly sad. We talk about it from time to time.

So with Isaiah Thomas, when did yall know he was special? When he went away for Prep School?

Also, I am SURE everybody thought Wroten was the ONE right? I remember hearing so much about dude

Missed this, but my last post sums it up. Drugs got to him, sadly...I think. Unless I'm thinking of someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom