THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I assume you aren't watching this game right now then. They were sagging off him all game and he was hitting shots all game. Going into the 4th. Daring him to shoot, he was making shots, and there was no adjustment.

To be fair though, Bron is an unstoppable player if he's hitting jumpers.

Yeah my bad im not tuned in so I dont really remember it completely. Yeah that sounds about right but Pop did the right thing. If they guard him up Bron goes to the hoop and is basically unstoppable. If he's hitting those jumpers its over though.

Pop **** the bed when he took Timmy out that one stretch for rebounding though from what I remember.

A career 30% 3pt shooter is gonna just going to extend their game out to the 3pt line?
Yes. Every shot % goes up when you practice it more. His form was butter. Just didn't work on the range as much. Today's 3pt culture, Money would've definitely created a stronger 3pter in his arsenal. No offensive weaknesses.

when mentioning the past era stars in the new era, why does everyone leave out how there's no more illegal defense in this era? we gonna act like MJ, T-Mac, Shaq, AI, Timmy D, KG ALL didn't talk about how they hated how the NBA implemented that rule?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yes. Every shot % goes up when you practice it more. His form was butter. Just didn't work on the range as much. Today's 3pt culture, Money would've definitely created a stronger 3pter in his arsenal. No offensive weaknesses.

His two motion form doesn’t lend itself to be a particularly strong 3pt shooter. It’s why guys like Jordan, Kobe, Demar, etc are really good in the middy but poor from 3 where as guys like Dame and Steph are lethal from 3 but take more floaters instead of actual jumpers in the middy. There are exceptions though.

This is why I think in 2020 Jordan probably takes and makes a few more 3’s but it wouldn’t be a crazy difference. The real thing is that he’s one of the best midrange shooters ever so the need to shoot a ton of 3’s wouldn’t be as necessary.

Last edited:
His two motion form doesn’t lend itself to be a particularly strong 3pt shooter. It’s why guys like Jordan, Kobe, etc are really good in the middy but poor from 3 where as guys like Dame and Steph are lethal from 3 but take more floaters instead of actual jumpers in the middy. There are exceptions though.

This is why I think in 2020 Jordan probably takes and makes a few more 3’s but it wouldn’t be a crazy difference. The real thing is that he’s one of the best midrange shooters ever so the need to shoot a ton of 3’s wouldn’t be as necessary.
Bald derozan

Bald derozan

Haha Demar isn’t in the same stratosphere of Jordan as a midrange shooter tbh it’s too bad we don’t have Jordan’s midrange numbers for most of his career but a prime example

Jordan shot 52% from the middy in 96-97

the emphasis on 3’s is because the middy is inefficient for most but when you’re like in Dirk or CP3 or Jordan tier of midrange shooting it doesn’t matter nearly as much.

Defenses are definitely more complex in this era. That's a direct result of improved offensive skill and more shooting prowess. It can also thus be argued that playing defense in this era is more difficult because of the space defenders have to guard

The elite of the past eras would adjust in terms of their offense. Besides just their own personal skill, the fact that offensive strategy has also evolved and again shooting at every position is emphasized. More spacing, more outside shooting, creating driving lanes.. would benefit those players

Jordan would still eat today and imo score more especially in the optimal offense suited for him

Defenses are definitely more complex in this era. That's a direct result of improved offensive skill and more shooting prowess. It can also thus be argued that playing defense in this era is more difficult because of the space defenders have to guard

The elite of the past eras would adjust in terms of their offense. Besides just their own personal skill, the fact that offensive strategy has also evolved and again shooting at every position is emphasized. More spacing, more outside shooting, creating driving lanes

Jordan would still eat today and imo score more especially in the optimal offense suited for him

are you familiar with the illegal defense rule change? or are you really saying that didn't make a difference?

are you familiar with the illegal defense rule change? or are you really saying that didn't make a difference?
I just explained to you that defenses are more complex. There are major differences

I'm also making the point that defending is actually more difficult today because of the 3 point shot, the fact that teams are getting 4-5 shooters on the court and floor spacing

You look at Demar who doesn’t take any 3’s, Luka May not be a good 3pt shooter,

the spurs had to completely rework Kawhi’s form so that he could effectively shoot 3’s. Two motion shots are really hard to make 3’s at a consistent clip

Jordan in all likelihood wouldn’t have been a good or a high volume 3pt shooter in 2020 but in his late prime he was shooting high 40’s and low 50’s from the middy. That plus high volume of free throws? Would be money regardless

I just explained to you that defenses are more complex. There are major differences

I'm also making the point that defending is actually more difficult today because of the 3 point shot, the fact that teams are getting 4-5 shooters on the court and floor spacing

Defending is easily more difficult today. I think the main reason for everything you mentioned - improved offensive skill, more shooting prowess, evolved offensive strategy (spacing, shooting, driving lanes) - is mainly because of that rule change. i really think people see what harden puts up & thinks Jordan would easily outdo that, but they don't think into consideration that Harden's game is built perfectly for the present game while Jordan's wasn't. I agree 100% with what shoe said regarding the jordan improving his 3pt game.

Michael Jordan was the greatest one one one scorer and he benefited a lot from the era he played in. Extrapolating his inflated scoring average + all the advances in the game to a 40+ average is probably off by a lot. 40+ average would be 13+ pts more than what Kawhi is averaging lol.

Defending is easily more difficult today. I think the main reason for everything you mentioned - improved offensive skill, more shooting prowess, evolved offensive strategy (spacing, shooting, driving lanes) - is mainly because of that rule change. i really think people see what harden puts up & thinks Jordan would easily outdo that, but they don't think into consideration that Harden's game is built perfectly for the present game while Jordan's wasn't. I agree 100% with what shoe said regarding the jordan improving his 3pt game.

Michael Jordan was the greatest one one one scorer and he benefited a lot from the era he played in. Extrapolating his inflated scoring average + all the advances in the game to a 40+ average is probably off by a lot. 40+ average would be 13+ pts more than what Kawhi is averaging lol.
I get where you're coming from however Harden wasn't even in my framework when discussing Jordan

If not 40, Jordan would still be among the league leaders in scoring. The floor spacing would benefit him, I believe he'd be double digit FT attempts and double team or not I believe he'd still be a force at the cup. Again I think he'd be Leonard (the past 2 years) on roids. And there were obviously 2-3 diff versions of Michael so that kinda gets murky but overall I don't think it's unrealistic for him to be in the mid 30's for some seasons

Especially if you get him in an optimal system and coach. He wouldn't even necessarily have to chuck 3's and make em but if he had 3-4 shooters with him at all times.... with a coach that plays the math game...

Haha Demar isn’t in the same stratosphere of Jordan as a midrange shooter tbh it’s too bad we don’t have Jordan’s midrange numbers for most of his career but a prime example

Jordan shot 52% from the middy in 96-97

the emphasis on 3’s is because the middy is inefficient for most but when you’re like in Dirk or CP3 or Jordan tier of midrange shooting it doesn’t matter nearly as much.
MJ's touch in the midrange was almost weird it was so good. Like, he'd be drifting left, twist right, hang in the air, double clutch, switch hands, eyes closed, and drop it in from 15' out. unreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom