THEE OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS SEASON THREAD (8-8) NEXT: OFF-SEASON

First things first, talent evaluation. I was never on board with bringing Ireland back once Sparano was fired. I'm pretty sure we should've started over from scratch.

Here's the thing I've been TRYING to get you to see.

You and I, have been waiting 10-20 years for greatness. You and I.

Ireland, Philbin, Sherman, Tannehill have NOT. They, have had 23 games.

Now to your point, yes, you might be right that Ireland should have left with Sparano, and started the WHOLE thing over again. Quite possible.

But overall, THIS group, has only been here 23 games. It's why I have argued that Jeff didn't have anything to do with the 08 draft, or the 09 draft, etc. The only drafts that are his are after Parcells left. So look at it. Ireland drafts for Sparano based teams one year, and then Philbin based the next. It's completely different.

So, do we keep trying to build with Philbin/Sherman/Tannehill and hope that in time, they get the right fits into the system, on the roster, etc?

Or do you blow it all up, sweep the whole group out, and start ALL OVER, again? At which point you're talkin about a firesale. Wake, traded. Tannehill cut/traded. Wallace and Hartline sold off. Grimes gone. DT's gone. Daniel freaking Thomas hopefully gone. Oline, all gone minus Pouncey probably.

The bare bones of the roster. Then 2-3 years of building, new GM, new coach, new coordinators, new roster, new grass planted on the field, everything.

So that's why I have told you to stop saying things like "Ireland's had five years to build this Oline" No, he had 3 years with Sparano's wants, and now 2 years with Philbin's wants. Two completely different styles. I'm not saying it excuses anyone, just the reality of what is being done. Try telling that to Evan Silva in 140 characters tho. That guy just flat out wants Ireland fired and has said so a billion times.

Thing is, he manages to get guys in that work late in the draft. Charles Clay in the 6th, Jones in the 5th, Miller in the 4th, and really, Pouncey/Tannehill/Jordan as his last 3 first round picks is workable. That's better than a lot of teams. But obviously we still need more and better.

So to me, it works two ways. Finish out this year, and they all die. Ireland, Philbin, Sherm, and quite possibly Tannehill.
OR
Ross gives them another year, all of them.

If he fires Philbin/Sherman, but keeps Ireland, then we're screwed again, because yet again, Ireland would then be drafting for new schemes and styles. Complete re-adjusting of how you approach the roster, etc.

By the way, things I left out from the game yesterday, Clay's drop just before half. That ball hit the PALM of both of his hands, perfect pass, right freaking there, and he dropped the ball. That would have made it 21-3 at half. CRUSHING drop.
Patriots lost their starting RT. Anyone hear, or see Cameron Wake even one time yesterday? Cam can't beat backup tackles now? We might need to sell on him asap. He's getting older, he banged his knee up, he may not be any help to us by the time we finally get good, we may need to flip him for something while we still can.

-I'm not sure McKinnie is the type of player fit for Philbin's style. Nonetheless the line has more ?'s than answers and all 4 positions (not incl. center) need upgrades

-I don't have a good feeling about playing Cincy Thursday. Talk about a stout defense that lives up to its billing. Ours folds like a lawn chair

-Wake should've been traded, now we're stuck with damaged goods

-3-0 to 3-4 is up there with starting 0-7 and losing the Luck sweepstakes

I agree, McKinnie is not a Philbin, but they needed to do something to keep Tannehill from dying. :lol:

He's a cheap 1 year rental, and he looked ok yesterday for a guy that's been on the team a week. Long as he makes us slightly better than Clabo, it's a start.

If this regime survives, I hope, and pray, they just say **** it and go ALL OFFENSE in the draft. Tannehill was their #8 investment, they are building around him, now surround him. Sign Oline help in FA, bring in a running back to comp Miller, draft Oline, draft WR's, bring in another TE, OG, OT, RB, every position. Surround him with weapons/depth. He'll be entering year 3, his improvements should start being noticeable. Last year he had no weapons, this year he has no one to block for him, at some point we have to mesh those two pieces to give him the tools he needs.

Notice Andrew Luck was given Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, Brazil in the same draft. 5 of the next 6 picks the Colts made after getting Luck was offense. Miami needs a similar approach.

Again, that's IF this regime survives.

And nothing anyone has seen should make us feel good about Cincy on Thursday. Nothing. That's going to be all bad.

And nothing anyone has seen should make us feel good about Cincy on Thursday. Nothing. That's going to be all bad.

the game being in miami has to count for something :lol:

i'm not 100% sold on cincy just cause they beat up on the jets. don't get me wrong, they're playing well. but let's not act like you guys got the broncos coming to town.

We lost to Buffalo, off a bye week, with a 3rd string QB.......at home.

You were saying?

We lost to Buffalo, off a bye week, with a 3rd string QB.......at home.

You were saying?

:lol:

can i use the "divisional matchup" plea?

nah, we'll see how it goes. i'm not saying you guys are wrong in not looking forward to TNF. but a week or two ago people are trashing dalton and the bengals...and then they hang 49 on the jets and it's like the bengals are a crazy good team again. this year has been full of roller coaster rides for almost all teams. your team is pissed and jobs are on the line. the bengals are feeling good about themselves. it'll be closer than you think.

Last edited:
:lol:

can i use the "divisional matchup" plea?

nah, we'll see how it goes. i'm not saying you guys are wrong in not looking forward to TNF. but a week or two ago people are trashing dalton and the bengals...and then they hang 49 on the jets and it's like the bengals are a crazy good team again. this year has been full of roller coaster rides for almost all teams. your team is pissed and jobs are on the line. the bengals are feeling good about themselves. it'll be closer than you think.

I don't think so. We've lost Keller and Gibson. Our best 2 options in the passing game up to this point. Who is left? Wallace? Hartline? Clay? Bengals will shut all of that down. That front 7 is bananas too.

We are on tap for Jimmy Wilson and Nolan Carroll seeing A.J. Green and Marvin Jones, yikes :rofl:

Last edited:
A few points to consider:

### It’s notable that many of the veterans that moved on from Miami during Jeff Ireland's tenure --– though some of the early decisions were made by Bill Parcells –-- have performed clearly better elsewhere, from Brandon Marshall (averaged 83 catches in two years here; 106 in four other recent years with the Broncos and Bears); to Ninkovich (a backup and special teams player here); to Philadelphia’s Evan Mathis (cut by Miami and now rated the NFL’s No. 1 guard by Pro Football Focus), to Reggie Bush (averaging 121 yards per game with Detroit, compared with 79.8 last season in Miami).

Cornerback Sean Smith, rated the 74th best cornerback last season with Miami, is 12th with the Chiefs, and the quarterback rating in his coverage area has dropped from 85.1 to 58.2.

Vontae Davis, traded for a second-rounder that Miami used on cornerback Jamar Taylor, has risen to fourth among all cornerbacks and drew praise for his work last Sunday against Denver’s high-octane offense. He was 37th in 2011, his last season in Miami.

Jake Long, ranked 46th among all tackles last season, has jumped to 12th in his first season with St. Louis.

In Marshall’s case, it obviously helped having a better quarterback (Jay Cutler over Chad Henne). But questionable coaching and evaluation also have been factors. The Dolphins mistakenly didn’t believe Mathis was worth developing and didn’t see the pass-rushing upside in Ninkovich that Belichick did.

This coaching staff couldn’t maximize Bush’s unique gifts in the open field. And the Chiefs are allowing Smith to play press/man coverage, which he preferred and thrives in. The Dolphins used him a lot in off-zone and off-man, which everyone knew wasn’t his strength. No wonder he's playing a lot better in Kansas City.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-notes-um-wake-postscripts.html#storylink=cpy

I highly respect Barry Jackson. He nailed it. Players leave here and prosper. Players come here and falter.

[COLOR=#red]Fully agree it's coaching... I've said that for weeks now. Fire everyone... this isn't the leaders to get this team going.

0 second half adjustments... I'm glad I was working... I would have broken so many things.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]In reality I believe they haven't has a huge sample size together... But Sherman blows as a play caller. He freaks out when it's a tie or down by 3 and it's obvious...

Maybe not fire everyone, but there needs to be a new OC at the least.

Daniel Thomas over Miller, constantly. No.

Not getting the ball in Wallace's hands in screens, and shallow crossing routes... just dumb.

100 other things. Just frustrating.

I've waited 27 years... just is what it is. [/COLOR]

Agreed. You have 2nd and 2 deep in New England territory, then 3rd and 2. Just run the ball! You had success up to that point. If you don't convert, you get 3 easy points anyways. I was sold a story about Joe Philbin, he made it seem like he was bringing Green Bay's philosophies with him. No wonder he didn't call plays as their offensive coordinator, he continues letting Sherman call a bunch of junk. And Sherman, the man fired from A&M and run out of GB, needs to retire like Dan Henning.

Dan Henning, Daboll, Sherman, tired of these bad offensive coordinators.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 50m

Jake Long (+15.4) up to 7th in our left tackle rankings after dominant display last night. Not quite back to his best, but is getting there

:lol: This nightmare just gets worse and worse. We replaced Jake Long with Martin and now McKinnie.

Bush, Dansby, Burnett, Vontae, Sean Smith, Marshall, etc. all playing better.

I don't like Sherman either, but it's not ALL his fault.

Yes, the 2nd and 2 was set up nice, but if Wallace holds onto the ball, it's 7.

Just before half, Tannehill put the ball RIGHT ON CLAY'S HANDS, and he dropped it. That was 7, we got 3.

I don't like Sherman most of the time, but in this instance, it's on them to catch the damn ball. He called plays that were going to be touchdowns. And they didn't hold on. :smh:

It's so frustrating to watch this team. It's so comical at this point that I actually watch games expecting us to either implode after a lead or just lose from the beginning outright.

I don't even get mad watching them play. It has been 14 years since Dan Marino retired and how many of those have been good seasons?

They either start good and end bad or start playing in the second half. They can't play four quarters to save their lives

They either start good and end bad or start playing in the second half. They can't play four quarters to save their lives

This..It's brutal when they have flashes of awesomeness and then 1or2 quarters later they are back to looking like laughing stocks..

[COLOR=#red]Not true... 2 division championships.

I'm juss sayin...[/COLOR]

:lol: :smh:

:rofl:

We thought it was bad when we were losing 62-7 in the playoffs or catching a beatdown in Oakland, now we just flat out miss the playoffs. I think from like 70-2003 we missed the playoffs twice.

:lol: Knew you'd like it.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tweeted that, but right now it's quicksand for ol' Jeff so it's time to grab our pitchforks and hop on the riot parade

Back
Top Bottom