Thinkin about getting a dog. Any suggestions?

Are u looking to adopt a puppy or an adult dog? Puppies are a LOT of work, make sure you're ready to COMMIT and have the necessary funds plus the free time to take care of them.

A lot of puppies are given away due to the fact that owners have time constraints and find it bothersome to care for them, don't be one of those owners.

Do a lot of research before you pick out your potential breed. There are many different breeds that are compatible with your lifestyle... Oh and train them young and early.

Are u looking to adopt a puppy or an adult dog? Puppies are a LOT of work, make sure you're ready to COMMIT and have the necessary funds plus the free time to take care of them.

A lot of puppies are given away due to the fact that owners have time constraints and find it bothersome to care for them, don't be one of those owners.

Do a lot of research before you pick out your potential breed. There are many different breeds that are compatible with your lifestyle... Oh and train them young and early.

Pomeranian - easy to train, little so you don't have to feed it much, don't need much exercise since they're small

OP - do you have a lot of space for the dog? Is it going to be primarily indoors/outdoors? Do you have a lot of time to take care of it?

I'm partial to Olde English Bulldogge's only cause thats the pup that I have. They are a bit stubborn, but totally loveable and playful. They are not as prone to hereditary conditions like your regular English Bulldogs (hip problems, respiratory problems, eye problems, etc...). OEB's can get pretty big though so you will need some room. My pup is about 40lbs now at a little over 7 months old. I have a buddy with an adult male that is 100+lbs.

OP - do you have a lot of space for the dog? Is it going to be primarily indoors/outdoors? Do you have a lot of time to take care of it?

I'm partial to Olde English Bulldogge's only cause thats the pup that I have. They are a bit stubborn, but totally loveable and playful. They are not as prone to hereditary conditions like your regular English Bulldogs (hip problems, respiratory problems, eye problems, etc...). OEB's can get pretty big though so you will need some room. My pup is about 40lbs now at a little over 7 months old. I have a buddy with an adult male that is 100+lbs.

Pomeranian - easy to train, little so you don't have to feed it much, don't need much exercise since they're small

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Olde English Bulldogge

they look pretty badass
olde-english-bulldogges-papillon-10.jpg

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

I'm looking to get a puppy. I have the money for it and the time to commit to it. I'm definitely gonna research the breeds before I choose one, just looking to get some ideas of breeds thru this thread.

Mojodmonky1 wrote:

I live in a 2 story (plus basement) rowhome so I don't see space being a problem. I live a block away from a big grassy park and another 4 blocks away from another nice park so it'll have alot of time both indoors and outdoors. Like I said before time isn't a problem either.

I'm looking to get a puppy. I have the money for it and the time to commit to it. I'm definitely gonna research the breeds before I choose one, just looking to get some ideas of breeds thru this thread.

Mojodmonky1 wrote:

I live in a 2 story (plus basement) rowhome so I don't see space being a problem. I live a block away from a big grassy park and another 4 blocks away from another nice park so it'll have alot of time both indoors and outdoors. Like I said before time isn't a problem either.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by scshift

I want a dog like the one in Proper English's old avy 
pimp.gif

Japanese Spitz.. great breed.. very smart, easy to train, & very loyal.. oh and they have "self cleaning" coats that dont shed at all. 
pimp.gif

their coat stays white

Paris%20Head%20Shot%203.jpg
Must get dog
pimp.gif

When I graduate college and have my own pad, I'll definitely look into getting one

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by scshift

I want a dog like the one in Proper English's old avy 
pimp.gif

Japanese Spitz.. great breed.. very smart, easy to train, & very loyal.. oh and they have "self cleaning" coats that dont shed at all. 
pimp.gif

their coat stays white

Paris%20Head%20Shot%203.jpg
Must get dog
pimp.gif

When I graduate college and have my own pad, I'll definitely look into getting one

+1

I had been considering getting a puppy for years and my biggest concern was the amount of time I would have to commit to it.  When I finally got my pup, it was everything I expected and WORSE.  The first week was, for lack of a better word, hell.  I was constantly exhausted from getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night in 30 minute shifts cause she would always be crying/barking and pissing her crate throughout the night.  My office is a solid 20 minutes (with no traffic) from my house and I would have to leave once or twice a day to come home to check on her, feed her, etc.. etc... (this is in addition to the multiple home visits my wife would have to make).

If I had to estimate, my pup has probably cost me close to $10K in the last 5 months since I got her (including the cost of the dog itself, supplies, damage to the house/clothes/shoes, insurance, and a $3K surgery to fix her entropion).  That being said I have no regrets.  It is such a stress relief to come home after a long day at the office and take a walk or hang out on the couch with my pup.  As childish and weak as it sounds, it really brightens my mood to be around my dog.

Here' a pic of my pup when she was still around 6-8 weeks old that I pulled off the breeders website.  She is the one in the middle.

3girls.jpg

+1

I had been considering getting a puppy for years and my biggest concern was the amount of time I would have to commit to it.  When I finally got my pup, it was everything I expected and WORSE.  The first week was, for lack of a better word, hell.  I was constantly exhausted from getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night in 30 minute shifts cause she would always be crying/barking and pissing her crate throughout the night.  My office is a solid 20 minutes (with no traffic) from my house and I would have to leave once or twice a day to come home to check on her, feed her, etc.. etc... (this is in addition to the multiple home visits my wife would have to make).

If I had to estimate, my pup has probably cost me close to $10K in the last 5 months since I got her (including the cost of the dog itself, supplies, damage to the house/clothes/shoes, insurance, and a $3K surgery to fix her entropion).  That being said I have no regrets.  It is such a stress relief to come home after a long day at the office and take a walk or hang out on the couch with my pup.  As childish and weak as it sounds, it really brightens my mood to be around my dog.

Here' a pic of my pup when she was still around 6-8 weeks old that I pulled off the breeders website.  She is the one in the middle.

3girls.jpg

If your up for it & will put the effort into a somewhat stubborn breed, go the Siberian Husky route.
23hknb8.jpg
mines

If your up for it & will put the effort into a somewhat stubborn breed, go the Siberian Husky route.
23hknb8.jpg
mines

Back
Top Bottom