Thinkin about getting a dog. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

images

One of the most loyal and smartest dogs I ever had

Co sign on the INVESTMENT aspect of it, not just money, but time. When I first got my puppy, we would take turns waking up at least every hour to two hours to make sure the dog did it's business in the appropriate place, until she was old enough to hold it all night. Went through countless shoes, furniture destruction, etc. At the end of the day - it was absolutely worth it. I cringe at the amount of money I've had to spend on the dogs, but really, no matter what, that dog will always be happy to see you, and every dog has a unique personality. I know that I will never have another dog exactly like mine. Might look the same, but it will never be HER.

So on that note - you should choose a dog that fits your "profile" so to speak. You would probably want to get a dog that is easier to raise, easier to maintain, etc. as a first time owner. Dogs require a lot of patience and proper training, and mishandling can lead to problems down the road.

One other thing - please never hit your dog.

I am now biased and after owning a Scottish Terrier, the only dog I really want in the future is another Scottie. Having two dogs is even better because they keep each other company.

Co sign on the INVESTMENT aspect of it, not just money, but time. When I first got my puppy, we would take turns waking up at least every hour to two hours to make sure the dog did it's business in the appropriate place, until she was old enough to hold it all night. Went through countless shoes, furniture destruction, etc. At the end of the day - it was absolutely worth it. I cringe at the amount of money I've had to spend on the dogs, but really, no matter what, that dog will always be happy to see you, and every dog has a unique personality. I know that I will never have another dog exactly like mine. Might look the same, but it will never be HER.

So on that note - you should choose a dog that fits your "profile" so to speak. You would probably want to get a dog that is easier to raise, easier to maintain, etc. as a first time owner. Dogs require a lot of patience and proper training, and mishandling can lead to problems down the road.

One other thing - please never hit your dog.

I am now biased and after owning a Scottish Terrier, the only dog I really want in the future is another Scottie. Having two dogs is even better because they keep each other company.

First dog? Get something easy to handle, like a lab, German Shepard, or border collie.

Husky are a handful, I have one that's @ 3 months right now and sometimes she drives me insane. I have to take her out at least 2 hrs to the park or else she let's out her energy out on my stuff. She's awesome tho, love her to death. Extremely playful and loves everybody.

First dog? Get something easy to handle, like a lab, German Shepard, or border collie.

Husky are a handful, I have one that's @ 3 months right now and sometimes she drives me insane. I have to take her out at least 2 hrs to the park or else she let's out her energy out on my stuff. She's awesome tho, love her to death. Extremely playful and loves everybody.

My JRT turns 15 tomorrow, very healthy except for having bad hearing.

Requires a lot of training in the first few months, or else it will become independent and will be difficult to manage. Lots of attention as well, if you work all day, prepare to have stuff torn up or chewed on when you get home.

That said, if you have the time to train it or play with it a lot, then you will be able to enjoy your dog a lot.

My JRT turns 15 tomorrow, very healthy except for having bad hearing.

Requires a lot of training in the first few months, or else it will become independent and will be difficult to manage. Lots of attention as well, if you work all day, prepare to have stuff torn up or chewed on when you get home.

That said, if you have the time to train it or play with it a lot, then you will be able to enjoy your dog a lot.

I've got a chocolate lab and she is great. Very easily tranined and is extremely loyal. The only issue we had was when she was a puppy she chewed a bit, but that stopped.

I've got a chocolate lab and she is great. Very easily tranined and is extremely loyal. The only issue we had was when she was a puppy she chewed a bit, but that stopped.

Pomeranian_picture.jpg

I got one of these lil buggers as a gift from my moms a few years back. i love it. they can be very territorial little creatures but theyre small, easy to handle, dont take much to feed, but their har gets really long so youll want to get cut every now and then

Pomeranian_picture.jpg

I got one of these lil buggers as a gift from my moms a few years back. i love it. they can be very territorial little creatures but theyre small, easy to handle, dont take much to feed, but their har gets really long so youll want to get cut every now and then

Dog's are expensive.... don't buy or adopt impulsively. Plan out a budget and a list of monthly expenses ahead of time so you'll have a rough idea on much u need to spend.

On average I spend about 50 dollars a month on food, 5 dollars on treats, 60 dollars every 3 months on anti-flea medication/oil rubs. You'll spend your money mostly on vet visits for the first few months since the dog will need its' first 3 or 4 shots, deworming and check up. You'll have to spay and neuter your dog 6 months down the line.

MAKE SURE U PUPPY PROOF YOUR HOUSE before u get your dog... they'll chew and eat up anything they can get their mouths on. Get a deterrent called "bitter apple spray" and seclude your dog in one part of the house, the dog won't chew on anything if u spray and proof your house.

They are such a therapeutic relief and at the same time a huge headache... they're worth it in the end. dogs will prepare u for fatherhood if don't already have kids
laugh.gif

Dog's are expensive.... don't buy or adopt impulsively. Plan out a budget and a list of monthly expenses ahead of time so you'll have a rough idea on much u need to spend.

On average I spend about 50 dollars a month on food, 5 dollars on treats, 60 dollars every 3 months on anti-flea medication/oil rubs. You'll spend your money mostly on vet visits for the first few months since the dog will need its' first 3 or 4 shots, deworming and check up. You'll have to spay and neuter your dog 6 months down the line.

MAKE SURE U PUPPY PROOF YOUR HOUSE before u get your dog... they'll chew and eat up anything they can get their mouths on. Get a deterrent called "bitter apple spray" and seclude your dog in one part of the house, the dog won't chew on anything if u spray and proof your house.

They are such a therapeutic relief and at the same time a huge headache... they're worth it in the end. dogs will prepare u for fatherhood if don't already have kids
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

laugh.gif
cosign

If you think you don't have the funds to take care of a dog that might arise over time, then it is not worth getting a dog.

Too many dogs are put down at shelters just because the owner couldn't take care of it for financial reasons.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

laugh.gif
cosign

If you think you don't have the funds to take care of a dog that might arise over time, then it is not worth getting a dog.

Too many dogs are put down at shelters just because the owner couldn't take care of it for financial reasons.

Back
Top Bottom