This Country Hasn't Changed One Bit

Originally Posted by A King Of Da Kickz

Originally Posted by InTheBean

I agree. All the old-timers in this country are obviously still racist, and they've passed their racist sentiments onto their children and grandchildren. The best we can hope for is for racism to be blanketed until it is nearly invisible, b/c it will never fully go away

Yeah, all those baby boomers from the 60's and 70's who were famous for being completely non-comformant towards their parents? Not true. They wentagainst the grain on everything their parents' generation stood for . . except for the racism part. That makes sense.

For the people that think America really has changed in 40 years. What has really changed? I'm really interested in knowing.

To say the country hasn't changed in 40 years is extremely foolish. Yes, racists today are more likely to hide it, however, there are a lot less racists.There is still a long way to go, but tremendous progress has been made.

I don't think that things are the exact way they were 40 years ago, however I do understnad where you are coming from. It's amazing how the question inour nation right now is, "Is America ready for a black president".

Originally Posted by jmoneybaggz

For the people that think America really has changed in 40 years. What has really changed? I'm really interested in knowing.

Well for one, under no circumstance would a black man ever even have a chance at becoming president 40 years ago. Doesn't get much more obvious than that ..

your own words....
.For example look at Obama. Do you think white voters actually care that he's black? It makes no difference to them what colore he his. I don't think they look at him as a Black Man.
you think that would have happened 40 yrs ago?

you think that THIS would have EVER been a remote possiblity 40 yrs ago?
Obama08_ThumbLogo200.gif

I disagree. One of my close friends had her grandparents sent to a Japanese internment camp right after the attack of Pearl Harbor.

Did you see Arabs getting sent to camps after 9/11?

Its not perfect but there is no way things are the same as it was back in the day. Not even remotely. Read up on history, ask some of your grand folks andask em how civil rights are today in comparison to the days they grew up.

Yeah, the title to this thread is pretty much flat-out non-sensical. "This Country hasn't changed nearly as much as I would haved liked it to at thispoint" would have made a lot more sense.

laugh.gif
To you all saying racism hasn't progressed one bit, what kind of !!%!#* neighborhoods do you guys live in?

And ask yourself whether you'd rather live in 2008 or 1960. I guarantee damn near 100% of black people in the world would choose 2008. I think that'smore than just "one bit" of change to me.

Obama could have happened 40 years ago...Why not? If he shared the same values as most of White America sure he could have...

Obama was raised by a white family....he got the type of education that has been achieved mostly by whites in this country. He grew up basically a white manwith colored skin. As I said, there just more assimilated minorities. That's due to the supercapitalism that has pushed America forward...But to saypeople's opions on class and racial perspective has really changed is foolish. A former crack dealer becomes part owner of an NBA team and people thinkAmerica has changed.
laugh.gif

Then that leads me to ask what do people consider "change".....? In the 1800s....A black man was property. In the 1900s...a black man was free, buthe wasn't equal to his white couterparts. So do you think that is really change? To me, the views of the white majority didn't really change. Theystill saw blacks as inferior. I think capitalism changed, and the US didn't need to rely on slavery economically...

Obama could have happened 40 years ago...Why not? If he shared the same values as most of White America sure he could have...

Obama was raised by a white family....he got the type of education that has been achieved mostly by whites in this country. He grew up basically a white man with colored skin. As I said, there just more assimilated minorities. That's due to the supercapitalism that has pushed America forward...But to say people's opions on class and racial perspective has really changed is foolish. A former crack dealer becomes part owner of an NBA team and people think America has changed.
laugh.gif

Then that leads me to ask what do people consider "change".....? In the 1800s....A black man was property. In the 1900s...a black man was free, but he wasn't equal to his white couterparts. So do you think that is really change? To me, the views of the white majority didn't really change. They still saw blacks as inferior. I think capitalism changed, and the US didn't need to rely on slavery economically...

You are not smart.

It's something that will always be there in our society, whether or not it is brought out into the open. It's a big part of the history of our country,and you can't simply dismiss it.

Its arguments like yours that create division in the first place. Change doesn't happen overnight, most change, and healthy change comes about withprogress.

No offense, but to say that a slave and a free man with fewer rights (which have grown exponentially mind you) are the same thing is borderline idiotic andshows a warped train of thought. You might as well say nevermind the change, if its not the change you want, when you want it, its not changing at all.

Originally Posted by ArsnalJ23

No offense, but to say that a slave and a free man with fewer rights (which have grown exponentially mind you) are the same thing is borderline idiotic and shows a warped train of thought. You might as well say nevermind the change, if its not the change you want, when you want it, its not changing at all.
You just misinterpreted what I said. I stated the views of the white majority didn't really change. Read up on History,...you'll realizeafter slavery, the white majority was still trying to get rid of the black race. There are 2 million black men in jail right now as we speak. Racist drug lawshave taken away freedom from a generation of black men. The Constitution states that slavery is illegal(with one exception)...if a person commits a crime, theycan still be enslaved. I guess that's why the laws are created to imprison a certain segment of the population.
nerd.gif
I'm leaving this topic alone though for good.

You've just got to rise above what you're taught... my parents are old-style Mexican people. They are very racist, but I never listened to them whenthey said not to bring a black girl home, or "dress black" (which, to them, was merely wearing basketball sneakers). You've gotta think on yourown.

Originally Posted by ArsnalJ23

No offense, but to say that a slave and a free man with fewer rights (which have grown exponentially mind you) are the same thing is borderline idiotic and shows a warped train of thought. You might as well say nevermind the change, if its not the change you want, when you want it, its not changing at all.
You just misinterpreted what I said. I stated the views of the white majority didn't really change. Read up on History,...you'll realize after slavery, the white majority was still trying to get rid of the black race. There are 2 million black men in jail right now as we speak. Racist drug laws have taken away freedom from a generation of black men. The Constitution states that slavery is illegal(with one exception)...if a person commits a crime, they can still be enslaved. I guess that's why the laws are created to imprison a certain segment of the population.
nerd.gif
I'm leaving this topic alone though for good.
Which again, would be wrong. The white majority is ignorant to a race and culture that is not their own, and therefore they're still notentirely familiar with it, thats not racism. There are definitely racists out there, but not nearly as many, and its no longer institutionalized and nationallyaccepted, which means the country has changed in some capacity.

Now in terms of the legal and prison system, black people are in that situation because of what they were born into. THIS is the problem that black peopleface, and they will continue to if they don't do something about guns and drugs in the community and fight more for better education. If we stop glorifyingthe "hood mentality" children won't grow up to idolize it, whether they have the resources to do better or not. You can't ask for money tochange a community or reparations (off topic, I know, but another issue) when you're not willing to change your mindset on why you're still there, andhow to get out of it.

I think it has changed. While racism is still abundent, at least as a culture we give more chances to other races than we did before.

The only thing I will say is that it useless to argue with people whop refuse (or are unable) to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.

Back
Top Bottom