This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
"what a game it would have been in Cavani would have...."

A quote I'm tired of hearing after every game

Thought he was supposed to be in form right now :lol:

Son, Cavani is the most inconsistent bastard ever.

Just scored 4 goals the other week and scored last game. Goes ghost today against a CHILD on post.

I don't understand it

Last edited:
We're talking aggregate sporting culture though. I'm sure you can point to instances of it happening in America but the overarching culture and standards for whats acceptable and what's not are very very different.

I won't argue that there are no differences between American and European sports culture and sports discourse because there obviously are.

But I think the main reason for "the better team lost" narratives is the bigger factor luck plays in football in comparison to sports with higher scores. In football, a dominant team will lose more often than in basketball, for example. This NY times article touches on that issue:

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/sports/soccer/with-new-book-seeking-truth-in-statistics-of-soccer.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3As%2C%5B%22RI%3A7%22%2C%22RI%3A12%22%5D[/URL]"]

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/science/soccer-a-beautiful-game-of-chance.html?_r=0

However, I completely agree that the whole "the better team lost" stuff is disrespectful to the actual winners and generally try to avoid being like that, even though I'm European. :wink:
[/quote]

That makes sense but I think my underlying point that in America, attributing failure to bad luck or another teams head-to-head triumph to good luck, just isn't accepted no matter what degree of luck is inherent in the sport.

And I'm not trying to be to be disrespectful to or overly critical of European sport. While this specific perceived difference in American sport culture is a positive to me, I do think that ultimately it is derived from larger aspects of American Society. A culture that often tends to manifest itself in many other more significant ways that tend to be far more ugly in nature relative to most European societies, things like male violence, machoism, uber competitiveness, and gross ignorance, the list goes on.

Last edited:
Balo. Please come back to form.

Saw a theory on Reddit that Balo works best in black and red. His best year in ManC when they won their away kits were black n red lol. Please be true

View media item 2118613
But he was on Milan last year :lol:
Oh that's the thing he was on a relative slow comeback season over there but picked an injury that took him out for months. More of a confidence boost

I used to do that "The better team lost" when I was salty about Chelsea beating everyone I was rooting for in the CL back in 2012 :lol: :smh: To be honest, Xavi's bitter @#$ also brainwashed me to think like that when I used to be a Barca fan. One of the greatest midfielders I've ever seen but also one of the most salty dudes of all time after a loss.

Then I remembered I'm a Portugal fan and that winning is the only thing that matters :lol: Man, all the "better team lost" tears this summer were glorious :pimp: Felt good to be on that side for once

Last edited:
Internal Man U hype bandwagon

Memphis > Martial > Rashford

Soon enough y'all will turn on Marcus

I swear you're always more worried about our young guys than us :lol:

Talking all about hype yet you have a convenient memory though forgetting all the years of "this is Theo's year","Ramsey/Jack are world class" and Iwobi/Gnabry > Martial recently :lol: :rolleyes. Clown logic
fifa-17-box-art.jpg

Like what has martial ever done to be considered on the cover of fifa17?

Word to...

View media item 2175972
and

View media item 2175973

If it's that serious to you and you really want a reason then $$$ :lol:. Same reason Freddy Adu,Wilshere and bum *** Clint Dempsey have also been on the cover over the years

Haven't seen these FIFA covers in a while and all I can think is Rooney is one ugly motha******.

That's some British ******** right there
no its not, we hear it in america all the time, they said it about both Madrid Derby CL finals, despite Real outplaying Atlético for large portions of both.

No we don't, only Americans that say that **** are soccer commentators that try too hard to sound English (looking at you Fox Sports). When was the last time you heard Steve Kerr or Bill Bellichik say we deserved to win?

memph is trash

it's crazy to think this same time last year if  you were to read the dumb responses in here you would've thought memph was the greatest young player ever.

Swagger, potential and a good looking young brother (dude look like me) will do that to perception.

Didn't watch him in the Eredivisie but YouTube and a few of you guys in here :nerd: had me ready to sip the Kool aid.
Man don't put the Kool Aid down or listen to these short sighted fools, Memph gonna be great one day soon. He gotta get out of bum *** Manchester. Like I said before, put him on loan to PSV this winter, get his feet back under him and then sell him to Arsenal next summer when Alexis dips and Wenger goes on his conquest against Westeros.

Last edited:
Man don't put the Kool Aid down or listen to these short sighted fools, Memph gonna be great one day soon. He gotta get out of bum *** Manchester. Like I said before, put him on loan to PSV this winter, get his feet back under him and then sell him to Arsenal next summer when Alexis dips and Wenger goes on his conquest against Westeros.

I'm so with this. :lol:

United supporters swore Memphis was the 2nd coming of Cristiano :lol:

TBH i think he'd be best at Liverpool, join back with his boy Wijnaldum, Klopp can set him straight

Last edited:
I know both sides of the NT derby will have my head for saying this, but I think both Memphis and Ox would be better at Liverpool.

Memphis and Ox on both wings, Coutinho and Henderson midfield with Mane and Firmino up front

Would be fun to watch. And I think the "pressure" of being at a big club would be off Memphis' back. Not saying that Liverpool isn't a big club, but the mentality is different there. Its not a hollywood atmosphere. Ox could be taken to that next level playing under Klopp.

memph is trash

it's crazy to think this same time last year if  you were to read the dumb responses in here you would've thought memph was the greatest young player ever.

Swagger, potential and a good looking young brother (dude look like me) will do that to perception.

Didn't watch him in the Eredivisie but YouTube and a few of you guys in here :nerd: had me ready to sip the Kool aid.

I am with this. Memphis to arsenal and Woodward will give you 40 for Alexis.

I really want to watch more Barcelona games this season. I usually only watch a handful and a few CL games here and there.

But with EPL and Ligue 1, I don't want to get burnt out watching too many games

Last edited:
I want to watch more Dortmund games this year, I really like their setup... but my school doesn't offer Fox Sports, only NBCSN 
mean.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom