This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
RW or RM on Toulouse is making his debut. Debut so fresh his jersey only has his number not his name lol.

That's some British ******** right there
no its not, we hear it in america all the time, they said it about both Madrid Derby CL finals, despite Real outplaying Atlético for large portions of both.

I've never ever heard that kind of nonsense said by a an athlete or coach in American sport.

I've never heard that in American sports before. American coaches in all sports are always saying the better team won.

It's not just the UK. I specifically mentioned it because I read Don Iniesta say it about the Atleti game. I love him & he's one of my favorite Barca players of all time but that was some stupid ish to say. I've also heard Bundesliga & Serie A players & coaches say it to.

If I was a reporter in the post game presser & heard that stupid ish, I'd call em out on it. :smh:

I was thinking more of the standpoint from the media but I remember specifically remember Clay Matthews something of the sort after a playoff game.

I do feel players & coaches are actually more honest overseas, american sports love to feed us bs, which makes any interview, pre, post game, half time unbearable

Last edited:
Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi Absolutely I mentioned in my initial post that I levy the charge again Europeans as a whole.

Charges pending again my Africans, Asians and South Americans. Need further evidence.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of the standpoint from the media but I remember specifically remember Clay Matthews something of the sort after a playoff game.

We're talking aggregate sporting culture though. I'm sure you can point to instances of it happening in America but the overarching culture and standards for whats acceptable and what's not are very very different.

Last edited:
The Solo pic is an example of that "european" sporting culture as you guys put it,in action with an American athlete :lol:. Check her comments when Sweden eliminated them from defending their Olympic title

Last edited:
The Solo pic is an example of that "european" sporting culture as you guys put it,in action with an American athlete :lol:. Check her comments when Sweden eliminated them from defending their Olympic title

See my post. She's been quite reasonably regarded as an insane individual by many people for some time now.

The backlash and outrage over her comments, the embarrassment and disappoint expressed by many people myself included, really proves my point.

Her comments would have 100% been par for the course in Europe.

Last edited:
We're talking aggregate sporting culture though. I'm sure you can point to instances of it happening in America but the overarching culture and standards for whats acceptable and what's not are very very different.
I won't argue that there are no differences between American and European sports culture and sports discourse because there obviously are.

But I think the main reason for "the better team lost" narratives is the bigger factor luck plays in football in comparison to sports with higher scores. In football, a dominant team will lose more often than in basketball, for example. This NY times article touches on that issue:
Because of fluke goals, low scores and the many matches that end in ties, soccer is less predictable than other major sports, as Chris Anderson and David Sally explain in their soccer book, “The Numbers Game.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/science/soccer-a-beautiful-game-of-chance.html?_r=0

However, I completely agree that the whole "the better team lost" stuff is disrespectful to the actual winners and generally try to avoid being like that, even though I'm European. 
wink.gif

"what a game it would have been in Cavani would have...."

A quote I'm tired of hearing after every game

Balo. Please come back to form.

Saw a theory on Reddit that Balo works best in black and red. His best year in ManC when they won their away kits were black n red lol. Please be true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom