This is why the bible and other religious texts had to be written by scorned MALES

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

RELIGION = WARS

/thread.

bunch of delusional people believing in nonsense and thinks that their religion is better than the rest.
Christianity, Catholics and Muslims are the most evil of all. How can you justify thousands if not millions of people dying because of religion?

REAL TALK. with out religion, this "war" in the middle eat wont even exist.

I grew up believing in religion, but after that all has happened and yes history does repeat itself...the world will be better off with out it.

I'm sorry for the rant but if you actually open your eyes, forget the BS and accept the truth...that there isn't an omnipotent being watching over us.

But I guess do you. I'm not here to bash religion and I'm not a pro-atheist/agnostic....I could care less what people think. I just hate the fact the it affects my everyday life.

laugh.gif
... do I sense some denial? 

Atheist has SUCH a negative connotation... I should know. I said I was an agnostic in college just to slide by conversations knowing that i'd have to see some people regularly... 

All of what you said is pretty much true.

Also, I should note...religion is not the cause of ALL war... its just the cause of most of them. 

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

RELIGION = WARS

/thread.

bunch of delusional people believing in nonsense and thinks that their religion is better than the rest.
Christianity, Catholics and Muslims are the most evil of all. How can you justify thousands if not millions of people dying because of religion?

REAL TALK. with out religion, this "war" in the middle eat wont even exist.

I grew up believing in religion, but after that all has happened and yes history does repeat itself...the world will be better off with out it.

I'm sorry for the rant but if you actually open your eyes, forget the BS and accept the truth...that there isn't an omnipotent being watching over us.

But I guess do you. I'm not here to bash religion and I'm not a pro-atheist/agnostic....I could care less what people think. I just hate the fact the it affects my everyday life.

laugh.gif
... do I sense some denial? 

Atheist has SUCH a negative connotation... I should know. I said I was an agnostic in college just to slide by conversations knowing that i'd have to see some people regularly... 

All of what you said is pretty much true.

Also, I should note...religion is not the cause of ALL war... its just the cause of most of them. 

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

of course people won't believe your explainations on WHY you believe, but if i plainly ask you why you believe, answer with the actual reason you believe......
laugh.gif

- most of them cant. thats where thier defense mechanism comes from. thats why they usually just clam up and reply with:

you guys are mean and degrading

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

of course people won't believe your explainations on WHY you believe, but if i plainly ask you why you believe, answer with the actual reason you believe......
laugh.gif

- most of them cant. thats where thier defense mechanism comes from. thats why they usually just clam up and reply with:

stop thinking like me, they gonna come up with a conspiracy that we're the same person giving each other props...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

stop thinking like me, they gonna come up with a conspiracy that we're the same person giving each other props...

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by retrospect90

@ Dame Theory. What do you believe in?
I don't believe in god. I can't prove there is no god, but I can disprove it to the point that I THINK there is no god. Understand the distinction here.
I'm what you would call a secular humanist...almost a utilitarianist. 

I believe in humanity and doing whats right for the greatest number of people.

Being an atheist doesn't make you a liberal. You can be just as gay-bashing, gun-toting, abortion protesting, tea-party member-ing, xenophobic son of a +!@$# as you want. An atheist is simply a lack of belief in God. 

I just happen to be a liberal cause most of the stuff being an atheist combats addresses with conservative policies so...yeah.    
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Ethics has been challenged since the beginning of time as questions of how should we act and how do we obtain and identify moral absolutes. This is the struggle of government. Once we can have a secular understanding of the world, we can be more responsible for our ultimate outcome rather than deluding ourselves as a people with false hope. 

Also... I'm a black male that had a lot of white friends growing up. So... I understand what it feels like to be marginalized for being different racially and socially. Its allowed me to be more accepting of differences and learning to address them instead of putting up walls to protect faulty ideals. Even most black people for example voted against prop 8 recently must have forgotten what it feels like to not have basic rights. Humans are selfish at times and we have to remind ourselves that we are all the same people. 

Originally Posted by retrospect90

@ Dame Theory. What do you believe in?
I don't believe in god. I can't prove there is no god, but I can disprove it to the point that I THINK there is no god. Understand the distinction here.
I'm what you would call a secular humanist...almost a utilitarianist. 

I believe in humanity and doing whats right for the greatest number of people.

Being an atheist doesn't make you a liberal. You can be just as gay-bashing, gun-toting, abortion protesting, tea-party member-ing, xenophobic son of a +!@$# as you want. An atheist is simply a lack of belief in God. 

I just happen to be a liberal cause most of the stuff being an atheist combats addresses with conservative policies so...yeah.    
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Ethics has been challenged since the beginning of time as questions of how should we act and how do we obtain and identify moral absolutes. This is the struggle of government. Once we can have a secular understanding of the world, we can be more responsible for our ultimate outcome rather than deluding ourselves as a people with false hope. 

Also... I'm a black male that had a lot of white friends growing up. So... I understand what it feels like to be marginalized for being different racially and socially. Its allowed me to be more accepting of differences and learning to address them instead of putting up walls to protect faulty ideals. Even most black people for example voted against prop 8 recently must have forgotten what it feels like to not have basic rights. Humans are selfish at times and we have to remind ourselves that we are all the same people. 

FYI, Pat Tillman was an distinct Atheist.

Further proof that all of us aren't sipping chai teas and wearing birkenstocks making donations on Kiva.
laugh.gif

FYI, Pat Tillman was an distinct Atheist.

Further proof that all of us aren't sipping chai teas and wearing birkenstocks making donations on Kiva.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I ask this question and never get a good answer for it 
they would usually reply how they were taught that there whole life 

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I ask this question and never get a good answer for it 
they would usually reply how they were taught that there whole life 

I appreciate the fact that Anton, Dame, Lobo, etc. make threads like this. You don't have to like it but they certainly have great points.
Of course I'm bias because I don't believe in anything.

And what eNPHAN said is on point. Believers come in these threads and provide little to no evidence, then resort to calling us(atheists) mean bitter people who want to impose their
great intellectual capabilities on believers. 

I think our main gripe isn't so much with belief, but more so with religion which has caused many many problems throughout history. If you want to believe  in something that's fine, but when people's faith
is intermingled with matters of government, education, etc., then we have a problem. Many of us agnostics/atheists/non-believers are simply fed up with the way things are run in the U.S.

I appreciate the fact that Anton, Dame, Lobo, etc. make threads like this. You don't have to like it but they certainly have great points.

And what eNPHAN said is on point. Believers come in these threads and provide little to no evidence, then resort to calling us(atheists) mean bitter people who want to impose their

I think our main gripe isn't so much with belief, but more so with religion which has caused many many problems throughout history. If you want to believe  in something that's fine, but when people's faith
is intermingled with matters of government, education, etc., then we have a problem. Many of us agnostics/atheists/non-believers are simply fed up with the way things are run in the U.S.

Originally Posted by blackxme

Two things. 
Thanks for accepting your "bias" exists. This is real self-awareness. Also I don't knock anyone for believing in anything (I can't call you all illogical, I don't have enough time or energy to combat everyone so i'll just settle for "tolerance" right now
laugh.gif
...)  IN SO MUCH as you can rationally prove it. 

I look at it the same way conservative white america is feeling threatened here lately... they're part of the majority who never had to think about themselves before and are now being forced to address what it is that they really think for the first time and it scares them

ITS OK TO SAY YOU DON'T KNOW!

Personally I get a kick out of people trying to convert me only to have me de-convert them. 

Originally Posted by blackxme

Two things. 
Thanks for accepting your "bias" exists. This is real self-awareness. Also I don't knock anyone for believing in anything (I can't call you all illogical, I don't have enough time or energy to combat everyone so i'll just settle for "tolerance" right now
laugh.gif
...)  IN SO MUCH as you can rationally prove it. 

I look at it the same way conservative white america is feeling threatened here lately... they're part of the majority who never had to think about themselves before and are now being forced to address what it is that they really think for the first time and it scares them

ITS OK TO SAY YOU DON'T KNOW!

Personally I get a kick out of people trying to convert me only to have me de-convert them. 

Originally Posted by marath0n

Let's take scriptures out of context and attach illustrations to them.

Cool.

roll.gif
@ context

what context is the proper context, sir?

Originally Posted by marath0n

Let's take scriptures out of context and attach illustrations to them.

Cool.

roll.gif
@ context

what context is the proper context, sir?

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

WITHOUT AN IRRATIONAL FEAR IN HELL THERE IS NO REASON TO BELIEVE!
I dropped this on my Dad last night and straight !%%!@* him up. He was staring off into the distance for like 20 minutes last night. 

FALSE. That's like saying if there was no such thing as jail, i would go around murdering people

I dropped this on my Dad last night and straight !%%!@* him up. He was staring off into the distance for like 20 minutes last night. 

FALSE. That's like saying if there was no such thing as jail, i would go around murdering people

Originally Posted by oidreez

FALSE. That's like saying if there was no such thing as jail, i wouldnt go around murdering people

No... You're wrong. You have a fear of being caught. You have a fear of being forced to answer to the consequences of your actions. Plus, bad people in society get bad things done to them. To assume there would be no such thing as jail assumes that people would murder people and society would be OK with it. You have to make that jump. Since you didn't, what you said isn't really true. Addtionally, jail is a PHYSICAL consequence. We see evidence of it. Its tangible. Its real. There has never been any proof or evidence of an actual hell existing, yet everyone has heard of it and doesn't want to go there. At least compare it to something else that doesn't exist. Like you'll be banished to Tattooine if you don't worship Darth Vader... 
grin.gif

laugh.gif

FEAR is the best teacher of all. It keeps you from touching the stove, from playing in traffic, and *%!@%#% raw without a condom.
Fear.

If you can convince people that EVEN if they life a good life but DONT believe in God that they'll go to a hell of fire and brimstone for all of eternity after death... then you've successfully made someone fearful of hell. 

Originally Posted by oidreez

FALSE. That's like saying if there was no such thing as jail, i wouldnt go around murdering people

No... You're wrong. You have a fear of being caught. You have a fear of being forced to answer to the consequences of your actions. Plus, bad people in society get bad things done to them. To assume there would be no such thing as jail assumes that people would murder people and society would be OK with it. You have to make that jump. Since you didn't, what you said isn't really true. Addtionally, jail is a PHYSICAL consequence. We see evidence of it. Its tangible. Its real. There has never been any proof or evidence of an actual hell existing, yet everyone has heard of it and doesn't want to go there. At least compare it to something else that doesn't exist. Like you'll be banished to Tattooine if you don't worship Darth Vader... 
grin.gif

laugh.gif

FEAR is the best teacher of all. It keeps you from touching the stove, from playing in traffic, and *%!@%#% raw without a condom.
Fear.

If you can convince people that EVEN if they life a good life but DONT believe in God that they'll go to a hell of fire and brimstone for all of eternity after death... then you've successfully made someone fearful of hell. 

Back
Top Bottom