THREAD CLOSED

What are you most looking forward to? (Two choices allowed)

• Derek Carr's return

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Amari Cooper's third season

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Khalil Mack in his prime

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Marshawn Lynch where he belongs

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Defensive improvements

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Showdown in Mexico City

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Revenge against Kansas City

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
The more I come back to articles about JDR and his past decision making with coordinators the more I want him gone. He has a poor track history with coordinators dating back to Jacksonville and that has not improved in three years with us. Coordinators have been scapegoats for him there, jettisoned when he's needed to demonstrate "accountability", and it's his politicking that has kept in afloat (playing on being a homegrown Raider definitely helped make him accepted with us). There is no consistency in his decisions on coordinators, and he absolutely benefited last year from having a coordinator who (as NorthOakland said yesterday) was well attuned to our player's strengths and generally positioning them to succeed. That, along with Carr progressing further as a top 10 quarterback in the league, salvaged many awful defensive game-plans last year.

This ship is sunk. For the sake of the argument, let's assume things don't get better (which I frankly think is likely, since we're on the verge of announcing that Conley is done for the year and we're entering a second half that will starve us of winnable games). We can correct this with wholesale changes in the staff and potentially picking in the top ten of the draft. Mark, who might be fat with satisfaction from successfully scheming for a new stadium, must understand that to get the people of Vegas and Southern California to buy in (literally) once the move happens that he will need a competitive team. That should be enough to be aggressive in paying top dollar for the right head coach to come. We have the pieces on hand to entice anyone; it's simply a matter of willingness to demand results.

kind of surprised that a guy who was known for firing coordinators hasn't fired any yet.

kind of surprised that a guy who was known for firing coordinators hasn't fired any yet.

I think it has to do with comfort. Jack wasn't feeling pressure before. This season was the first with heavy expectations and we've lost it before we even hit the bye week. After Mexico City I would expect him to fire people.

what really hurts is we have the offensive personal to put up huge points against what is a terrible Patriots defense but its looking like another prime time egg.

**** @buffalo and @miami probably L's too

Let me press the board with this question. Could we see tables turn in the division and watch a team like the Chiefs dive the rest of the season and weaker teams rise to take its place? What if the Raiders take care of business Thursday and a team like the Chiefs suffers a losing streak similar to Oakland and yet somehow we hold and finish the season enough to birth a wildcard.

Let me press the board with this question. Could we see tables turn in the division and watch a team like the Chiefs dive the rest of the season and weaker teams rise to take its place? What if the Raiders take care of business Thursday and a team like the Chiefs suffers a losing streak similar to Oakland and yet somehow we hold and finish the season enough to birth a wildcard.

If that exact situation happened then the staff stays intact and we can presume there were growing pains that are now done.

But the Chiefs are too well coached for that to happen. And we don't have a capable staff.

Anything is possible but the team has shown me no confidence

I have little faith that we can out coach Andy Reid on a short week but in theory we win two straight and we're at .500 at the half way point of the season.

Carr's health is crucial but if the defense continues to play well enough to win and with an offense that has all the pieces but is just underperforming, anything is possible these next ten weeks.

you'd think that Downing would let Carr loose, but its quite the opposite. granted, Carr is coming back from two injuries, but the play calling in general is hella weak. they were more aggressive with Cook in against the Texans, than they've been all season. Richard needs more reps too.

Some positive...
IMG_5598.PNG

On the real tho, if something were to happen in the coming days for Downing I'd expect Mike Tice to fill that role...

On the real tho, if something were to happen in the coming days for Downing I'd expect Mike Tice to fill that role...

I was thinking about it earlier, I don't think anyone on the current staff even has any OC experience

Back
Top Bottom