Time will tell

Originally Posted by tim teufel

i hope you have a real job while you're chasing your dream.
How does that even pertain to the situation? Why are you wasting your hope on whether or not dude has a job or not? Is son asking you for a loan? I know that your just trying to be funny, I aint gonna hit you with the Sigel, but if son aint asking us to paypal him some funds, and isn't complaining about a financial struggle at least think of something clever. 

Truth, you ever stop and ask what it is they would like to see in you during these tryouts? 

MonStar1:
Ska, 

I don't think you understand that "YET" might not be a possibility.
I completely understand that you feel like the window is closing down to the size of a mouse's hole in the wall. I feel you. Changes nothing on what I've said about maintaining that 'yet' attitude instead of riding this 'desparate hour, has to happen now or MY LIFE IS OVER... SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE RIGHT NOW!' attitude.
MonStar1:
I'm not sure what your friend's financial situations were before they made it but mine isn't great
I don't want to get too much into their personal lives, not out of protection to them (since I haven't even said their names or anything), but because this isn't about them. But the 1 friend that I went to community college with back in 1999, his financial situation was worst than 'bad'. Me and him were in a few group homes/foster homes together, and I don't know how socially aware you are of 'placement kids', but it SUCKS for those of us who turn 18 and literally had NOOO ONE to rely on for anything.
MonStar1:
I'm struggling just like other college grads. . If I get a crazy injury more than likely there wont be a "yet" man.  I grind everyday to network and open a door for myself.  I look at most of the "semi-pro" guys in my area and they been in the same positions for years claiming "yet".  I don't say "yet" because there's pressure from other sources to "give it up man" or "grow up already".
First off, ++*! them other sources. You give up this dream when YOU feel like it really isn't a possibility.

Second, like a few others have mentioned in the thread, you have to CHASE THIS DREAM while accepting that THE CHASE MIGHT NOT LEAD TO A LEAGUE. I'm telling you, you are FAR more attractive to a suitor (this goes for dating, too
laugh.gif
) if they can tell that you are not desparately hoping they let you latch on to them, but that you have a confidence that you KNOW they are strongly considering you. Feel me? Watch Pursuit of Happyness a few more times. Dude sleeping in the bathroom talking about "Don't worry son; we're gonna make it. Daddy's gonna be big time someday. Here, let me cover you up with these newspapers." Like, what the HELL are you talking about you're gonna make it when you're sleeping in a damn public bathroom?
roll.gif
But... we all know that's a true story, and we all know how it ended up. And you better BELIEVE there were people in his circle talking like "Dude, you have gone bat $$*% crazy." Hell, his wife left him. But he thought "Just hasn't happened yet." I could talk to you for DAAAAAAAYS about personal struggles I've been through... hell, GOING THROUGH... where the odds of getting what I wanted... NEEDED... were EXTRA skinny, and sometimes, I made those odds even worse by thinking "Man, maybe everyone is right. This just ain't meant to be."
MonStar1:
I want...no I need "now".  And honestly you can call it a victim mentality but I feel like 98% of people would've quit by now if they walked in my shoes.
You think 'overseas team manager' doesn't know that? Say you run some open gym tomorrow somewhere and there's some dude from Australia looking for talent. He sees you. He likes you. You know damn well he's not thinking "Well I'm gonna make that guy's day and ask him if he wants to come back w/ me to Australia. And I'm sure he just barely started playing basketball yesterday and probably has a couple rich %*! parents he'll have to leaver behind, but I'm sure he'll come with me."
laugh.gif
HELL nah. These dudes know what's up. They know that every-damn-one of you talented hopefuls has had to FIGHT and keep grinding and strapping on ankle weights and clocking in to Best Buys and meat wherehouses. They know what's up, and that's why they're not JUST looking for who's the most talented, but also who's the most talented and mentally prepared. Of course they know they're not going to get some dude with the mental strength of Kobe, but they don't want some dude with a deafeatist/victim mentality, either.
MonStar1:
But I will keep what you said in mind.  I don't want to sound like I have a victim mentality but the constant struggle takes a toll on you.  Keeping positive energy is very important and I'll do my best to keep that mindset.
Like I said, I could talk for days on personal struggles I've been through and I'm still going through. My 3 friends I'm talking about, by no means did they have it easy... but one thing that I have learned (from them, and from myu own experience, and from observing/learning from the struggles of others) is that the less needy you are, the more attractive you are; the less desparate you are, the more opportunities you have for success. Being frantic causes you to have tunnel-vision, makes you start to give up hope.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Truth, you ever stop and ask what it is they would like to see in you during these tryouts? 
Yes and no.  From the get go you just have to play and figure out how to stand out given the make up of your teamates.

After the tryouts I always ask for feed back.  When I went to Dayton I played well and get invited back for another look.  After the invite back I emailed the coach and asked him what he wanted to see from me and what I should work on in order to make the team.  I received nothing back.  I went there again and played well.  I emailed the coach again afterwards.  I received nothing back.  The owner and player personel guy had good things to say and believed I have game.

I'm not going to lie.  I know they want to see more ball-handling and passing out of me considering I'm 6'1.  But at most of these tryouts I'll be on the court with 2 other guys that are smaller or my size and they are less athletic than me.  Coaches will always assign positions based on size.  I'll tell the dude "I play the point. I'd like to showcase those skills."  they be like "oh ok yeah just show us what you can do when you get the ball".  I think I need to just be a ignorant d-bag and demand to bring the ball up. 

MonStar1:
I want...no I need "now".  And honestly you can call it a victim mentality but I feel like 98% of people would've quit by now if they walked in my shoes.
You think 'overseas team manager' doesn't know that? Say you run some open gym tomorrow somewhere and there's some dude from Australia looking for talent. He sees you. He likes you. You know damn well he's not thinking "Well I'm gonna make that guy's day and ask him if he wants to come back w/ me to Australia. And I'm sure he just barely started playing basketball yesterday and probably has a couple rich %*! parents he'll have to leaver behind, but I'm sure he'll come with me."
laugh.gif
HELL nah. These dudes know what's up. They know that every-damn-one of you talented hopefuls has had to FIGHT and keep grinding and strapping on ankle weights and clocking in to Best Buys and meat wherehouses. They know what's up, and that's why they're not JUST looking for who's the most talented, but also who's the most talented and mentally prepared. Of course they know they're not going to get some dude with the mental strength of Kobe, but they don't want some dude with a deafeatist/victim mentality, either.
I don't agree with this. There's a difference between a defeatist attitude and a hunger for opportunity.

Lets say you have player A.  Good player decent resume.  Has some options probably.  Then you have player B.  Good player, weak resume.  But you can see the hunger.

I'm going with player B.  Why wouldn't you want to find a diamond in the rough?  If a guy is that hungry for a chance wouldn't that mean he has more to lose and will probably play harder for you?  

Don't get it twisted when I'm out there I'm vocal and intense not hanging my head. 

Bruh you can't stop grinding, if you have the talent to make it you have to keep working hard and exhausting all options. Before my injuries I knew for a fact i'd play pro basketball somewhere. Many people told me I would. I thought i'd make it so bad i'd practice interviews lol. But one day playing pickup basketball I tore my meniscus and MCL and it was all gone. I still finished my 2nd year of JuCo ball but I ended up basically being Gilbert Arenas playing on one leg. But I did everything possible to get back until my body quit.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Originally Posted by tim teufel

i hope you have a real job while you're chasing your dream.
How does that even pertain to the situation? Why are you wasting your hope on whether or not dude has a job or not? Is son asking you for a loan? I know that your just trying to be funny, I aint gonna hit you with the Sigel, but if son aint asking us to paypal him some funds, and isn't complaining about a financial struggle at least think of something clever. 
not trying to be funny at all. just simply saying he better have a job cause his dream aint panning out. its time to move on

I have no connections, but just wanted to let you know I'm rooting for you to succeed. Wishing you the best of luck.

I emailed it to my Blog Brothers. We will see if it ends up on TrueHoop. I emailed it to them and some other folsk.

MonStar1:
I think I need to just be a ignorant d-bag and demand to bring the ball up.
Okay, you know how to things can appear to be kind of the same thing but they're worded differently? Like when I call something 'a defeatist mentality', you call it 'an insatiable hunger that refuses to be denied'? Same concept here; I think there are two things that are kind of the same, but worded a little different. I don't think you need to be 'an ignorant d-bag demanding to bring the ball up', but if you told me you were going to start playing with more of a "Bow in the presence of greatness" confidence/aggressiveness, I would support/co-sign/condone that.

And obviously I don't know you, so I don't know your mentality going into these open runs and everything, but going back to the only three dudes I've told you about that I know have gone on to play overseas, I know the mentality they played with every time they played.

They weren't out there to be limited by whatever the coach was going to tell them to do, but at the same time, they didn't want to present themselves as some dude who rebels against the coach.

They were out there with a supreme confidence in their game and a mindset that they were going to play their game with the coach's framework in mind. And I'm not saying you don't do that; like I said, I don't really know you, and I'm just trying to share the little I know about three dudes who I have known to go overseas.

I hope none of my posts have come across as talking down to you or anything like that, but I would also hope that even if you thought I was talking down to you, you would have the attitude "@#%+ you and your condescending tone. I know I'm grinding as hard as I can, and I know my hard work will pay off. And when it does, it will be an even bigger middle finger to you." Feel me? Because again, that is absolutely the attitude that my three friends had, so that's all I have to go on.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I emailed it to my Blog Brothers. We will see if it ends up on TrueHoop. I emailed it to them and some other folsk.
What did you email?

And DC did you get my blog on True Hoop last time?  

Yea I emailed TrueHoop about something you posted before and I remember them posting it. I can't remember what/when it was.

Actually now that I think of it.... one of my boys plays in a Germany. He never even stepped foot on a NCAA or college floor
laugh.gif
just played some intramural and his dad got him a try out and got himself a job
laugh.gif

I will hit him up and see how exactly he did it, outside of his dad hooking him up

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yea I emailed TrueHoop about something you posted before and I remember them posting it. I can't remember what/when it was.
yeah that was the blog on FreeDarko.com.  Thanks man that was huge and you didnt have to do that. 

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Actually now that I think of it.... one of my boys plays in a Germany. He never even stepped foot on a NCAA or college floor
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I will hit him up and see how exactly he did it, outside of his dad hooking him up 
Thanks.  That's pretty weird with him having NO college experience.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Trust me, I was as shocked as you are
laugh.gif
I do know that his dad was a legend over there though, so he definitely got hooked up.
But ya all of a sudden his FB posts were being tagged all over Germany and pics of him in his new jerseys and what not were
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
surprising to say the least. The guy is literally tiny too to say the least. I'm sure the league he plays in is like one of the lowest levels in Germany so not really if that interests you still... 

You gotta just keep that love and that drive Wayne..its too many ppl that give up. You are not tied down to a family, so keep shooting until you get that Sundiata Gaines moment that puts you where you feel you belong.

There was one NTer that said he worked for an NBDL team. I think he said in Texas. Try reaching out to him. If that NTer sees this, I mean no disrespect, only looking to help one of us.

In the end, if you have given your all and it doesn't pan out, coaching is a great way to share that love and knowledge with younger bball lovers and a way to stay intimate with the game.

God's blessings to you in your pursuit.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Trust me, I was as shocked as you are
laugh.gif
I do know that his dad was a legend over there though, so he definitely got hooked up.
But ya all of a sudden his FB posts were being tagged all over Germany and pics of him in his new jerseys and what not were
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
surprising to say the least. The guy is literally tiny too to say the least. I'm sure the league he plays in is like one of the lowest levels in Germany so not really if that interests you still... 

In Germany there's Pro A, Pro B, and Regionallia which is the lowest.  I'm not sure you heard me but I'd play ANYWHERE.  I'm not turning down anything.  The deadline for teams to sign was Jan. 31 for Germany I was told by an agent.
tired.gif

Bruh, all I can say is you gotta go harder. Yeah, your doing defensive slides at 2 a.m in the morning, but you gotta realize so are thousands of other cats doing the same AND some.

I mean, Kobe has cemented himself as a legend in the game of basketball and yet he still shoots hundreds of j's a day to improve it. You have to go 150% MORE than what you have been doing. You say you love the game, will marry it, #*$% it and parent it. Theirs some days you gotta spend your entire days in the gym, 24/7. You always gotta realize your not the only one who wants a shot...You may shoot 1,000 jumpers a day and feel satisfied but the other guy is shooting 1,100. You get what you put in.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

yeah, one of the regulars at my local 24 hr fitness just got called up to play in Thailand, from what i heard he didn't play college ball either.
he was about 5'11, left handed, long and lean, can't really shoot the rock, can barely touch the rim but he had amazing court vision,  fast as hell, was a great defender, and handled the ball very well
but he would be at the gym sun up to sun down working on his game dude was a serious gym rat.
just comes to show you hard work really pays off man, keep grinding and have faith my dude you will get looked at!

I would be interested in some techniques to increase vertical, do you have a custom program/regimen that got you up to 40"?

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

An agent would help out a lot. You need to be looking for an agent.
Through email over the last year I've contacted over 50 agents easy.  No luck "yet".
ohwell.gif
  For the most part they look at my resume and aren't impressed.  I don't even think they look at my videos.  Just gotta find somebody who believes in me.

Back
Top Bottom