TIPPING....doubling the tax is being cheap?

am I really late? 15% is lowballin the waiter?

wow.

I didnt know that was the case till I read this little article. one point that got me, and that has always got me though is the sense of entitlement when itcomes to being tipped. I mean I've never realkly had a problem with tipping.....Im always concerned if I leave enough, BUT in the article dude saidsomething like "Waiting tables is a job everyone should be forced to do at least once, if only to learn that it's not okay to snap your fingers whenyou want something, and also to find out what it's like to eke out a living on tips.". I get that its a thankless, low-paying job, but is it REALLYthe patrons fault that the waiter "NEEDS" tips to live? How havent waiters created a union to get better wages so that tyhey dont rely on tips tolive?

anyway....thats not my point. So now, 20% is the standard?

this is why I usually like to go eat at hole in the wall joints to avoid stuff like this

Better food for a much cheaper price

I tip as good as the waiter is. Im an easy going guy. REALLY I AM. So if you are good to me, then I'll be good to you. I will give more than double thetax.

tips is to ensure you get good service. If they were already making 10+ an hour, they would not have any incentive to provide good service. The system oftipping is good for the consumer DON'T CHANGE IT.

[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]i give in between 2-5 bucks... i'm a college student with a low paying on campus job, so sue me....

[/color]

I read this at Yahoo News earlier too and I disagree.
No one really sets the rules or presidence for this kind of stuff but I am usually generous and 20%-25% are typical for a good service to me.
However, there have been circumstances when I did not leave any tips at all but it only happens on rare occassions.

Depends on the service. But usually 20% is where I stay. Sometimes more/less depending on if they keep my drink filled, seem to be nice and not hate that theyare serving people at their place of work, etc.

10-20% based on the service. If the service is horrible, however, you'll only catch me rounding up to the nearest dollar.

I have worked in the service industry, too, and I'll be the first to say that it is far from the back breaking work people in the industry make it out tobe.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

here we go again....
laugh.gif

I'm a waiter, and I say give me as much as possible.
laugh.gif

I'm not the type to get upset if I'm tipped a small amount, though. I always felt like tipping was something that should be at the discretion of theperson paying, and I still feel that way.

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

wow.

I didnt know that was the case till I read this little article. one point that got me, and that has always got me though is the sense of entitlement when it comes to being tipped. I mean I've never realkly had a problem with tipping.....Im always concerned if I leave enough, BUT in the article dude said something like "Waiting tables is a job everyone should be forced to do at least once, if only to learn that it's not okay to snap your fingers when you want something, and also to find out what it's like to eke out a living on tips.". I get that its a thankless, low-paying job, but is it REALLY the patrons fault that the waiter "NEEDS" tips to live? How havent waiters created a union to get better wages so that tyhey dont rely on tips to live?

I'm a waiter now, and I've seriously thought about both of these statements.

everyone should serve at least one day to see how complex the task really is. once you see how it feels juggling four tables, keeping an X amount of drinksfilled and (at olive garden) ensuring that there are enough breadsticks on the table, you won't get as agitated when you don't get your extra BBQ saucethe moment you ask for it.

I've definitely asked our managers how on earth is it possible for us to get paid so far below minimum wage, (which i still feel is illegal, not to mentionwe get no lunch break even tho some shifts are 8 hours) and they basically say that 'if servers were to get minimum wage, the menu price would have to goup'. So instead of reducing the managers pay (who are already making a pretty decent amount) we get the short end of the stick.

And like I always say:
If you're trying to save money, STAY AT HOME AND COOK!!!

if they do what they are supposed to do, refill my drink, make sure they are attentive, get my order right, etc, I double the tax.
if they go above and beyond that, they get more.
if they do less than that, they get less.
I wouldn't consider myself cheap at all.

-J-

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

everyone should serve at least one day to see how complex the task really is. once you see how it feels juggling four tables, keeping an X amount of drinks filled and (at olive garden) ensuring that there are enough breadsticks on the table, you won't get as agitated when you don't get your extra BBQ sauce the moment you ask for it.
Seriously. I've had 7 tables at once, and I almost ran out of that place mid-shift.
laugh.gif

im a server and honestly i based my tip on if i busted my %*% on that particular table i expect $$$...if you double the tax thats fine with me but what i hateis when a customer comes in and make a complicated %*% ORDER and don't leave nothing...i swear that gets me heated

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

emmanuelabor wrote:

wow.

I didnt know that was the case till I read this little article. one point that got me, and that has always got me though is the sense of entitlement when it comes to being tipped. I mean I've never realkly had a problem with tipping.....Im always concerned if I leave enough, BUT in the article dude said something like "Waiting tables is a job everyone should be forced to do at least once, if only to learn that it's not okay to snap your fingers when you want something, and also to find out what it's like to eke out a living on tips.". I get that its a thankless, low-paying job, but is it REALLY the patrons fault that the waiter "NEEDS" tips to live? How havent waiters created a union to get better wages so that tyhey dont rely on tips to live?

I'm a waiter now, and I've seriously thought about both of these statements.

everyone should serve at least one day to see how complex the task really is. once you see how it feels juggling four tables, keeping an X amount of drinks filled and (at olive garden) ensuring that there are enough breadsticks on the table, you won't get as agitated when you don't get your extra BBQ sauce the moment you ask for it.

I've definitely asked our managers how on earth is it possible for us to get paid so far below minimum wage, (which i still feel is illegal, not to mention we get no lunch break even tho some shifts are 8 hours) and they basically say that 'if servers were to get minimum wage, the menu price would have to go up'. So instead of reducing the managers pay (who are already making a pretty decent amount) we get the short end of the stick.

And like I always say:
If you're trying to save money, STAY AT HOME AND COOK!!!

roll.gif
roll.gif

You crack me up dude, maybe it's time to look into another profession, this seems to stress you out much.

Back
Top Bottom