TIPPING....doubling the tax is being cheap?

When I go out to dinner, I expect decent service; courteous, minimum wait for food, around when I need something, get the bill promptly, etc. If a server doesthose things, I consider that average service because I expect those things out of every server I come across. If dinner goes smoothly like that, they usuallyget an average tip. I only really go above if they stand out from the general expectations somehow (e.g. free drink, comp'd dish, giving extra food, etc).

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

When dealing with male waiters...double tax...with waitresses...i tip purely by looks.

Same here
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

When I go out to dinner, I expect decent service; courteous, minimum wait for food, around when I need something, get the bill promptly, etc. If a server does those things, I consider that average service because I expect those things out of every server I come across. If dinner goes smoothly like that, they usually get an average tip. I only really go above if they stand out from the general expectations somehow (e.g. free drink, comp'd dish, giving extra food, etc).

You realize most of that is the cooks issue....unless you happen to be watching your waiter the entire time and see food chilling THEN get dropped off at yourtable...

lol sometimes I tip because of service or whatever but I go on sprees where I only tip $2, no matter what the price of the meal or how much the waitress wasfeelin me.

So writing %+%@ down on a piece of paper and than carrying out the food 20 feet deserves 15%+
roll.gif
roll.gif

btw I do tip just no damn 15%

Bring me what i ask when i ask 4 it .. don't BS wit me .. check on my table at least once .. and refill my drink when its gone .. and ill tip a goodone

man, NT is full of cheap o's that are willing to spend hundreds on sneakers, but can't give a waitress 20 percent.

If your going out to eat, you need to tip. If you are not willing to tip, take out or stay your @#! at home.

i don't tip great but i def don't think i tip bad, i never actually calculate it, but if my tab is like 30 bucks imma throw like 10.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

So writing ##%+ down on a piece of paper and than carrying out the food 20 feet deserves 15%+
roll.gif
roll.gif
Honestly, it isn't that simple. I'm not saying that we deserve a certain amount...people justseem to think that it takes no work to serve 10+ people at once.

Originally Posted by mdresident

man, NT is full of cheap o's that are willing to spend hundreds on sneakers, but can't give a waitress 20 percent.

If your going out to eat, you need to tip. If you are not willing to tip, take out or stay your @#! at home.

i don't tip great but i def don't think i tip bad, i never actually calculate it, but if my tab is like 30 bucks imma throw like 10.

You need to stop by sometimes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

So writing ##%+ down on a piece of paper and than carrying out the food 20 feet deserves 15%+
roll.gif
roll.gif
Honestly, it isn't that simple. I'm not saying that we deserve a certain amount...people just seem to think that it takes no work to serve 10+ people at once.
don't try to reason with that dude. i've tried to in other tipping threads, he's ignorant as hell.

roll.gif
roll.gif
Honestly, it isn't that simple. I'm not saying that we deserve a certain amount...people just seem to think that it takes no work to serve 10+ people at once.
I can understand when it's a crowd that big, but for 2 or 6 people or so I don't think it necessary. What I hate the most is when peopleexpect a tip.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

When I go out to dinner, I expect decent service; courteous, minimum wait for food, around when I need something, get the bill promptly, etc. If a server does those things, I consider that average service because I expect those things out of every server I come across. If dinner goes smoothly like that, they usually get an average tip. I only really go above if they stand out from the general expectations somehow (e.g. free drink, comp'd dish, giving extra food, etc).

You realize most of that is the cooks issue....unless you happen to be watching your waiter the entire time and see food chilling THEN get dropped off at your table...

Yeah, true, but when I go out to eat I'm going for the experience. Slow food, no matter whose fault that is, hampers that experience. Most places I know ofshare out the tips, so less tips for slow food is more of a stab at the kitchen for me.

You realize most of that is the cooks issue....unless you happen to be watching your waiter the entire time and see food chilling THEN get dropped off at your table...

Yeah, true, but when I go out to eat I'm going for the experience. Slow food, no matter whose fault that is, hampers that experience. Most places I know of share out the tips, so less tips for slow food is more of a stab at the kitchen for me.
Makes sense. I enjoy longer meals though, but I got what you're saying.

roll.gif
roll.gif
I can understand when it's a crowd that big, but for 2 or 6 people or so I don't think it necessary. What I hate the most is when people expect a tip.
Most waiters can have anywhere from 3-7 tables at one time, though. So it's tough balancing and remembering what everyone's asking for asyou walk by.

I know what you mean about expecting a tip, though. I feel the same way, so I never even think about it. I think people should tip, but I don't think thatthey have to.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

everyone should serve at least one day to see how complex the task really is. once you see how it feels juggling four tables, keeping an X amount of drinks filled and (at olive garden) ensuring that there are enough breadsticks on the table, you won't get as agitated when you don't get your extra BBQ sauce the moment you ask for it.
Seriously. I've had 7 tables at once, and I almost ran out of that place mid-shift.
laugh.gif
or when i'm a weak little girl and drop my tray of 3 pitches and 9 glasses everywhere. "sorry guys i'll be right back with yourdrinks, they are currently on the floor". even when i'm maniacal i can maintain my composure with my tables and get things done. the staff is a team(we split tips) so if i need something i can always ask someone else for a hand.

laugh.gif
i am NOT looking forward to christmas time.... having 7 tables full with crazed tourists for 8 straight hours
smh.gif

but seriously, serving is not that hard, the trick i have found is that if you are always extremely courteous to the table no matter what , they will like youand tip accordingly, so long as they arent from some obscure european country. people that i work with say i'm being fake, but that's what thecustomers want
eyes.gif

all i have to say is that i'm thankful that i never have you cheap %+$*$ as my customers
happy.gif

Yeah, true, but when I go out to eat I'm going for the experience. Slow food, no matter whose fault that is, hampers that experience. Most places I know of share out the tips, so less tips for slow food is more of a stab at the kitchen for me.

I've never really got terrible service that would cause me to tip someone poorly. I mean, how bad does the service have to be? Imo, slow food justisn't enough. I would have to get cussed out by the server, or she would just have to be completely, undeniably rude.

I mean I'm not the guy who leaves without tipping, but have you seen the stock market lately brah?

I'm leaving 10-15%, depending on how good you were.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

everyone should serve at least one day to see how complex the task really is. once you see how it feels juggling four tables, keeping an X amount of drinks filled and (at olive garden) ensuring that there are enough breadsticks on the table, you won't get as agitated when you don't get your extra BBQ sauce the moment you ask for it.
Seriously. I've had 7 tables at once, and I almost ran out of that place mid-shift.
laugh.gif
or when i'm a weak little girl and drop my tray of 3 pitches and 9 glasses everywhere. "sorry guys i'll be right back with your drinks, they are currently on the floor". even when i'm maniacal i can maintain my composure with my tables and get things done. the staff is a team (we split tips) so if i need something i can always ask someone else for a hand.

laugh.gif
i am NOT looking forward to christmas time.... having 7 tables full with crazed tourists for 8 straight hours
smh.gif

but seriously, serving is not that hard, the trick i have found is that if you are always extremely courteous to the table no matter what , they will like you and tip accordingly, so long as they arent from some obscure european country. people that i work with say i'm being fake, but that's what the customers want
eyes.gif

all i have to say is that i'm thankful that i never have you cheap %+$*$ as my customers
happy.gif
You're making your money. Ignore those suckas.
Being fake, the heck, you're in a business.

Yeah it sucks when people don't leave a tip but what do they expect? Make $10 per hr on top of making tips. I use to be a waiter in high school back in 98.I got paid 2:15 per hr but I made more than $45 bucks a night in tips for 4 hours of work. And this was with people leaving 15% of less. I can see leaving anice tip at a fancy resturant,but at Fridays, Chilli's,etc.... no more than 15%. some of the waiters I see have more that five tables they are serving. Soin one hour they make more than $20 in tips. Sorry but sometimes I feel like getting my own food from the kitchen.And seriouly whenever I see people look at mecrazy for not putting my change in the tip jar it ticks me off. I'm suppose to tip them to hand me my food.....whatever.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

laugh.gif
or when i'm a weak little girl and drop my tray of 3 pitches and 9 glasses everywhere. "sorry guys i'll be right back with your drinks, they are currently on the floor". even when i'm maniacal i can maintain my composure with my tables and get things done. the staff is a team (we split tips) so if i need something i can always ask someone else for a hand.

laugh.gif
smh.gif

but seriously, serving is not that hard, the trick i have found is that if you are always extremely courteous to the table no matter what , they will like you and tip accordingly, so long as they arent from some obscure european country. people that i work with say i'm being fake, but that's what the customers want
eyes.gif

happy.gif
roll.gif

And it's so true about just being courteous. You can get everything wrong...all you have to do, in most cases, is level with them...explain what happenedand apologize, and most people will get it.

The trick is having fun with the customers. It makes the time go by so much faster.

Tipping imho is from 0% to 25%. I judge my tipping depending on the performance of the server. I don't judge on the food as long as its accurate. Its notthe servers fault if the food does not come out to par.

However the server has many chances to impact me during the course of the meal. I've once left a dining experience with my girl and only left some changebased on the terrible service I've received. It ruined the feel and dining experience. The best dining experience I've received was @ Claim Jumperswhen a server went above and beyond the call of duty for my party. My girl and I left 30% for making it a wonderful event for my party. We even left a giftcertificate for a 1 lb box of candy at See's.

In my eyes a server must Earn my tip. Its not a given. Same goes with Bartenders. A bad pour =
mad.gif
. You get none.

Originally Posted by KNUDslpm

roll.gif
roll.gif
don't try to reason with that dude. i've tried to in other tipping threads, he's ignorant as hell.
laugh.gif
Why, because you've brought me no valid arguments?HarlemToTheBronx and I understand what we mean by our post. Like I said, I do tip, just not15%.

Originally Posted by mdresident

I've never really got terrible service that would cause me to tip someone poorly. I mean, how bad does the service have to be? Imo, slow food just isn't enough. I would have to get cussed out by the server, or she would just have to be completely, undeniably rude.

Its rare, but it's happened to me. A couple of weeks ago, I took my girl to this quaint italian kitchen (I'm talking really small) that is apparentlywell known throughout town. When we got there, we open the door to get seated, and the owner/waitress (an older, italian lady) just stares at us. After awhile, she said asked "how many?" without a smile or anything. We said "two", and she just turns and walks away. She goes next to atable, turns around, and looks at us again. After staring some more, she finally asks us to sit. No appetizers, it took over an hour to get our food. Probably my worst dining experience ever. The only thing that made me give a tip was the waitress who was courteous, and made small talk.

Back
Top Bottom