Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

i got chinese at the drive through yesterday and there was a tip line on the reciept. that's where I draw the line.
You didnt draw the line @ chinese drive through?

Originally Posted by dvdjamm5150

There's a couple of Chinese places here where they do take-out...but instead of paying at a cashier,when they give you the bags of food,they give you a receipt and expect a tip.

Is it normal to tip for takeout when you call to order and go there to pick it up?
if you're picking up food there is no need for a tip in that instance, just draw a line where it says TIP

Thunderchunks graphs prove my thought that people usually tip because nobody wants to be knows as a bad tipper. Not really because they are morally superior to those that don't tip. As some of you make it out to be,.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Thunderchunks graphs prove my thought that people usually tip because nobody wants to be knows as a bad tipper. Not really because they are morally superior to those that don't tip. As some of you make it out to be,.

No, people that tip are morally superior.  If you go out to a restaurant and don't tip you are basically stealing money. 

But the motive behind tipping is usually selfish, according to that graph. So if you are doing something "morally right" for selfish reasons, does it still remain a good deed? As with anything, it boils down to an indirect form of competition. I look at the motive behind it. If you are tipping because you want to debunk a sterotype (like many friends I have) I don't think you can really say you are any better than someone that tips.

Again, motives. Not actions.

just to instigate: isnt paying a person money not legally owed to them (tipping) in order for them to not harm you in any way (bad service, messing with your food) considered....extortion?

Originally Posted by frink85

just to instigate: isnt paying a person money not legally owed to them (tipping) in order for them to not harm you in any way (bad service, messing with your food) considered....extortion?

True.  People should never tamper with someone's food, no matter the circumstances.  They are worse than a non-tipper, they are scum. 

But the motive behind tipping is usually selfish, according to that graph. So if you are doing something "morally right" for selfish reasons, does it still remain a good deed? As with anything, it boils down to an indirect form of competition. I look at the motive behind it. If you are tipping because you want to debunk a sterotype (like many friends I have) I don't think you can really say you are any better than someone that tips.

Again, motives. Not actions.

Well I think many people don't know that waiters and waitresses have a different minimum wage.  I did not know that until this top came up on here.  I think that may change some opinions when they realize that the tip is really paying for service and not really a "tip".

Originally Posted by cguy610

No, people that tip are morally superior.  If you go out to a restaurant and don't tip you are basically stealing money. 
^ r u serious lol morally superior i guess all da folks in asia and africa are morally inferior then. you could say they are cheap but come on really MORAL damn ... ppl who dont tip are not stealin from the restaurant they already paid for the share they are required to tip is just something extra to.

like DC said theres really nothing with moral when it comes to tipping it more like how ur raised i mean if you come from asia or raised in an asian family u will noe tat back in asia u dont have to tip n will u prob get the same or even better service so you will of course u be question the reason of tipin here

n what kind of argument is cuz upsp usp guys get paid better they dont deserve a tip tats double standard...they get paid better cuz their job requires more work. there is a reason y waiter and waitress get paid so low.

some of these post replies are ridiculous, some poster degrading ppl's moral and call them disgusting for having a different theory...like wat the graph chunk has it say tip is a VOLUNTARY extra payment... meaning we dont have to pay it. like op i really dont understand the meaning of tip cuz y should they get more for doin their job, i only do it cuz everyones doing it...oh wells but if i noe i dont have to tip i will not tip.

Back
Top Bottom