Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by ikari XD

As a bartender, I've seen the wide range of how people view tipping. I've had folks not tip me. I've had folks steal my tips that were on the bar while I was helping other customers. I've had folks (usually servers/bartenders from other bars) tip me a ridiculously high percentage for stuff ($7 tip for a pitcher 
pimp.gif
). I've had people show the usual respect of $1 a drink which is highly appreciated.
At the end of the day, you are paying for a product, but you are tipping for appreciation for service. I don't have a barback. I cut my limes, I wash my glasses, I tap my kegs and restock my fridge. I clean up messes and make your @!* popcorn. I also handle a bar that can be stacked 3 deep all around the bar. When I can, I also offer conversation and all of that good stuff. If you don't want to tip, that's your prerogative. But don't expect me to be waiting on you after that first initial round. I'm going to take care of EVERYONE else, reload the dishwasher, check the score for the game, and chop it up with the waitresses. And expect to get exactly an ounce of liquor in your mixed drink. No more, no less. Because that is what I'm being paid for...to make and sell drinks.

Oh, and I'll be teaching 10th and 11th grade this semester. Would be nice to get tipped for that 
laugh.gif
preach my brother i bartend aswell,,, and i also have no barback,,
people that dont tip and say we have it EZ need to work int the service industry for a week and see how it feels to work hard and not get tipped

I'm a busser at a local Mexican joint here in Tucson, & I make $7.35 + tips, while the waiters make $4.25 + tips (granted I work harder than 75% of the waiters at my place) and most of those waiters really do LIVE off of their tips. I'm 18 & pay no bills (scholarship ftw) so the $ I make is good, however I know a majority of the workers at my restaurant live mostly off their tips.

Originally Posted by Purpledino

If you don't tip in Vegas, don't get served for a good 2 hours.
i tipped the cocktail chick a few bucks and she goes "take my whole tray baby" and hands me 7 mgd's and my whiskey or whatever i ordered.
roll.gif

Question though, if I don't tip I should expect bad service??? I doubt it, or they'll get reported. Waiters should have thought about their job before applying. You know you're working for minimum wage, you knew what it was when you signed up. You just have to ask what the service really is. Most of you are sugar coating it. "oh he's a liaison between you and the cooks and everyone else". Word?? You mean to tell me I have to pay this guy money for using his legs or wheels to just tell other people what I JUST said? If thats the case why don't I tip at fast food joints?? They do the exact same then. You can call me cheap or whatever, I really don't care. I just don't understand why I should pay MORE than whats required for someone just walking around.

I hate when I eat out with friends and the whole table tips but you got that one person who refuses to chip in with the tips then we all gotta chip in a little more

if you too poor to tip then don't eat out

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

The people that deserve tips don't get them (or at least to my knowledge they don't).  Take for example UPS and USPS workers who have to get out of their vehicle and deal with the elements (rain/sleet/snow/heat) as well as animals like dogs just to ensure you get your packages.  They deserve tips but don't get them.  

I personally am an Apple employee in NYC.  I had to deal with people on a daily basis who don't speak the same language as me but I still have to help them get their iDevices.  One day last year I sold over 50 iPhones in less than 3 hours.  Where's my tip?
I tip my UPS & Postal Service carriers religiously...they look out for me...

As for you selling over 50 iPhones in less than 3 hours...I'm pretty sure that's b/c they were high in demand...not your exceptional customer service...& if it was due to your customer service (which I highly doubt) ask for a raise...why should you be getting a tip?

Originally Posted by amel223

I hate when I eat out with friends and the whole table tips but you got that one person who refuses to chip in with the tips then we all gotta chip in a little more

Tipping has nothing to do with being poor. I'm far from poor, and I don't understand the concept.  It's like giving charity to the restaurant. Hell, even rich people don't tip. When you go out to eat you don't say I want some good service today, youwant good food.Period.

We tip 20% unless they are absolutely horrible, higher than 20% if its a special night.
Like there's an italian place by us that has Buy 1 get one M-Thursday, so if we go there & eat bills only like 40 w/ appetizers vs 60 so we'll give her like 25%-30% since it's not her fault hahah

There is a guy at work that puts cash on the table and REMOVES it as the waiter/waitress F's things up....
I am not a fan of going out with him since by doing that I always feel that we're getting the food from the movie Waiting lol

Originally Posted by xAiRMaXiNx

Tipping has nothing to do with being poor. I'm far from poor, and I don't understand the concept.  It's like giving charity to the restaurant. Hell, even rich people don't tip. When you go out to eat you don't say I want some good service today, youwant good food.Period.
You DO understand the concept.

Rich people DO tip.

The whole experience of going out to eat is not just the food, it is the service and the ambiance as well. 9 times outta 10 you won't go to a place crappy place with horrible service just for the food.

Agree with it or not, tipping is part of the culture of dining out in the US. If you don't want to tip or are going to complain about it don't go out to eat. Simple.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

The whole experience of going out to eat is not just the food, it is the service and the ambiance as well. 9 times outta 10 you won't go to a place crappy place with horrible service just for the food.
Uh, I go out to eat for the food. Perhaps you go out for more than that, so good for you. You can pay more for that.
Agree with it or not, tipping is part of the culture of dining out in the US.

Well, that much is obvious.
If you don't want to tip or are going to complain about it don't go out to eat. Simple.

That's not how it works. Tipping is optional. If it wasn't optional then, yeah, you wouldn't go out to eat if you didn't want to tip.

so true,  i avoid inviting those type of people out tho,  their usually the type that won't pitch in on a 30 pack of beer yet expect a beer or 2 to be handed their way or their the type to not pitch in on weed and expect to get high for free.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

i never knew ppl tipped ups and fedex workers...

This. They never stick around long enough anyway. Half the time they don't even ring the doorbell, I just hear my dog barking and see the truck driving by.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

Uh, I go out to eat for the food. Perhaps you go out for more than that, so good for you. You can pay more for that.
Agree with it or not, tipping is part of the culture of dining out in the US.
Well, that much is obvious.
If you don't want to tip or are going to complain about it don't go out to eat. Simple.

That's not how it works. Tipping is optional. If it wasn't optional then, yeah, you wouldn't go out to eat if you didn't want to tip.

Then stick to getting sandwiches at Subway or rootie tootie fresh n frutiy's if you want to go out JUST for the food.
Not tipping is a D--- move no matter how you put it.

so true,  i avoid inviting those type of people out tho,  their usually the type that won't pitch in on a 30 pack of beer yet expect a beer or 2 to be handed their way or their the type to not pitch in on weed and expect to get high for free.

I remember one night two dudes out of 10 did not tip whatsoever and everyone had to pick up the slack, especially with tipping being ADDED TO THE BILL automatically (which is normaly for larger groups)....never invited those clowns out to eat again
sick.gif

i doubt any of the non-tippers on here has ever asked a waiter what type of red would pair well with their foie gras.

I doubt it as well.

if the service was good and you don't tip you're either broke/cheap....no one can say otherwise. don't come at me like "i never tip i don't agree with it".  if you never tip and don't agree with it you're cheap.

/

Servers in Ks make 2.13 an hr, why? Because the Kansas Legislator deemed it necessary that people tip. So while you may not tip, understand that your legislator thinks that you will and make min wages accordingly. If you are really against tipping, go to your congressmen tell them to raise the min. wage for servers. And for those of you who say that we should have thought about this before we took the job, it's a two way street, you should have thought about tipping before you went out to be served...

Originally Posted by pookieman

THEY WORK FOR THEIR $%!*%%! TIPS...THEY MAKE LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE AND COUNT ON TIPS TO MAKE A LIVING....WRAP THIS UP ALREADY
You guys still aren't getting it...

Perhaps you guys don't understand what would occur if tipping was not there?

You guys ever shop at a store where they work on commission vs a similar store where it's salary?  The service at the commission spot is ALWAYS going to be better when there is an incentive there for the worker.  

In addition to that, the prices you guys pay for the food will go up...its simple....they make less than minimum wage, so their job is to provide you with the BEST service possible. If you are too cheap to tip when this service is complete, go buy yourself a McDonalds meal or go out in a group of 8+

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Servers in Ks make 2.13 an hr, why? Because the Kansas Legislator deemed it necessary that people tip. So while you may not tip, understand that your legislator thinks that you will and make min wages accordingly. If you are really against tipping, go to your congressmen tell them to raise the min. wage for servers. And for those of you who say that we should have thought about this before we took the job, it's a two way street, you should have thought about tipping before you went out to be served...

/THREAD

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Then stick to getting sandwiches at Subway or rootie tootie fresh n frutiy's if you want to go out JUST for the food.
Yeah, because Subway is comparable to a nice sushi dinner, right?

Why is it a **** move? Perhaps you should provide an argument rather than make a seemingly baseless claim.

You guys ever shop at a store where they work on commission vs a similar store where it's salary?  The service at the commission spot is ALWAYS going to be better when there is an incentive there for the worker.  

In addition to that, the prices you guys pay for the food will go up...its simple....they make less than minimum wage, so their job is to provide you with the BEST service possible. If you are too cheap to tip when this service is complete, go buy yourself a McDonalds meal or go out in a group of 8+
So what you're saying is there has to be incentive to force people to do their jobs. Receiving the pay that they signed up for isn't good enough. I'll try refusing to do my job until I have more incentive and see where that takes me.

Unless it's different from state to state, no one actually makes less than minimum wage. While their hourly wage can be less than minimum wage, if the employee does not make at least minimum wage with tips, the employer must compensate them.

Why is it a **** move? Perhaps you should provide an argument rather than make a seemingly baseless claim.

So what you're saying is there has to be incentive to force people to do their jobs. Receiving the pay that they signed up for isn't good enough. I'll try refusing to do my job until I have more incentive and see where that takes me.

Unless it's different from state to state, no one actually makes less than minimum wage. While their hourly wage can be less than minimum wage, if the employee does not make at least minimum wage with tips, the employer must compensate them.
Just wondering, do your friends share your point of view?   
When you guys all go out to eat, does anybody leave a tip?    Or is it just you who doesn't?

each state has a "regular minimum wage" and a "minimum wage for servers" with the wage for servers usually being considerably less than otherwise. if you've ever seen the paystub of a server, it's usually for pennies if anything at all (and that isn't an exaggeration by any means) the fact of the matter is, the income they make is solely based off of tips.

the fact that the department of labor specifies that it's ok for employers to pay servers considerably less, because they anticipate people will tip, should tell you something about tipping.

also, what you did say is true though. if a server, or "tipped worker" as the DOL labels them, doesn't make a certain amount in tips, the employer has to pay them the difference to make up that gap so technically they are making more than minimum wage, but they also do work as hard if not harder than other employees making the minimum wage.

Originally Posted by whiterails

Just wondering, do your friends share your point of view?   
When you guys all go out to eat, does anybody leave a tip?    Or is it just you who doesn't?
I know people that share this point of view. I never said I don't tip.

Back
Top Bottom