Toys "R" Us Christmas catalog from 1996...

man, I feel guilty being that kid :frown:, my parents must have really loved me and my brother.

anyway, it must be a lot cheaper today to buy a kid an ipad/ipad mini with an itunes gift card for games.

:wow: at some of the game prices back then. I love looking at old catalogs or ads. Someone posted a Best Buy ad from around the same year a few months ago. Couldn't believe the prices on some of the stuff in there.

>: :smh: Man THIS ************* place right here...
What they would offer you for consoles and games was just flat out disrespectful.
Don't give me that "it's a business they gotta make a profit" crap either.

Gamestop (Babbages at the time) is guilty of this sort of thing too, I remember seeing a guy sell a copy of MvC2 for the PS2 and the store only giving about 5 bucks for it, then turning around and putting it out on the shelf for more than retail because it was a "rare" game.

I'm going to be mad when they shut off the DLC servers for the current gen, but I love how it brought the prices down on some of those games.

Anyone remember how much CD-Rs cost back then? I remember my freshman year at college I got my RA to burn a disc for me since I didn't have a burner in my PC yet and he charged me 5 bucks PLUS I had to provide the CD-R.

This. I remember paying around that much for a burnt CD. Guy around my block provided the CD's though. Haha they had all the different color CD's. Get the CD back and the songs were all tagged up w/ Clue, Flex, Whoo Kidd, & Kay Slay drops.:lol:

Its a lot better today for video games because there are more places to trade old games to get a discount. Those prices though :x

Never realized the games used to cost so much. 
eek.gif
 I had a PS1 and Super Nintendo with about 20 games that me and my brothers shared. I guess we were lucky growing up. 

Game Gear :smokin

50-battery eating, could only play it next to and outlet, piece of ****. :smh:

That wasn't ****.

Try playing a Sega Nomad. You'd go through 6 batteries in 8 minutes.

After that.... No remote in the house was safe. Straight raping and pillaging batteries like a junkie addicted to alkaline.

Last edited:
I had a playstation that Xmas and got a n64 in the following June for my bday..
Crash bandicoot 1 & 2 >>>>>>>
007 for n64 >>>>>

Yeah...Christmas of '96, I wanted the Saturn because of Nights: Into Dreams. Instead, I ended up with the Playstation (along with a memory card, Final Doom, and Madden '97), thanks to my dad and godmother (RIP |I ). Ironically, it was my cousin who got the Saturn as gift from my mom :lol:

Initially, I really wasn't too trilled with my new PSX, until I played Tekken 1 and Crash Bandicoot at a friends house.

I had a playstation that Xmas and got a n64 in the following June for my bday..
Crash bandicoot 1 & 2 >>>>>>>
007 for n64 >>>>>

Yeah...Christmas of '96, I wanted the Saturn because of Nights: Into Dreams. Instead, I ended up with the Playstation (along with a memory card, Final Doom, and Madden '97), thanks to my dad and godmother (RIP |I ). Ironically, it was my cousin who got the Saturn as gift from my mom :lol:

Initially, I really wasn't too trilled with my new PSX, until I played Tekken 1 and Crash Bandicoot at a friends house.

My best friend had tekken 1, law was the man in that game :wow:

I remember Christmas of 91 I wanted either a SNES or a Genesis. I got a Sega Master System II with like 12 games because Children's Palace was going out of business and had everything on massive discount. I was an Apple/PC kid most of my formative years, mostly because my parents felt like they got burned in the crash of 83 when they stopped being able to find games for my older brother's Intellivision. Had to settle playing at friend's/cousin's houses for the other systems. Now as an adult I can indulge my hobbies a bit more than I could when I was younger. Still after a Vectrex.

on Thanksgiving after eating at my grandparents; I would get every Black Friday ad and sit in front of the fire place drooling over what I hoped to get for Christmas

this brings back memories of those good times :smokin

My family wasn't the richest so I never got any of the newer gaming systems...But boy do I remember seeing all that.

That one Christmas momma brought back home that Game Boy Pocket when everyone else had Color ( :lol: ), I was ecstatic :wow:!

Around 1997 I got the PS1. My favorite game by far was "Time Crisis" that came with the gun controller. My buddy that lived next door had the N64 with "007 Goldeneye". We loved those games. Every day it'd be a tough decision deciding which house to go to after school.

Back
Top Bottom