Trinidad James said "The South runs NY" while in NYC..

Being at a radio station? Or working at one? As a paid employee? In programming?

Again. You're making blanket statements. And they just are not accurate.

Your experience is different than mine. So it's obviously not the rule.

I work with plenty of radio stations that are owned by larger corporations that determine their playlists locally.

Period.

So yes, a program director has a boss to account to. Who doesn't?

That doesn't mean he isn't capable of making his own decisions about what he wants to play.

My statements aren't accurate :lol:

Dude I'm not going to say too much, but I know this for a fact. From what, and who I know.

A program director has to account for and give a reason why he wants to play a song.

If you get added, it's during a spot when listenership isn't high. You aren't getting played in a Rihanna time slot, because listeners are changing the station and they aren't playing you over a Drake song.

Maybe you did this at one of the few local stations, but most of them are controlled by a corporation.

Again, this is inaccurate. Your problem is you're making a blanket statement based on whatever experience you've had.

My records have gotten added and played all day. In Top 10-20 markets. And we're an independent.

I can send you Mediabase screenshots to prove it.

A program director has a boss like everyone else. I have a boss. I make my decisions. Sometimes my boss asks "what's up with this". And I tell him.

That doesn't mean I need his permission to make my own decisions.

So you were at a radio station. And you're taking that experience at one station and applying it to every radio chain?

So because Cox, Clear Channel, CBS, Emmis, Entercom, Cumulus etc. are all major corporations in the same industry, they are all operated and managed the same way?

No :lol:

Last edited:
Again, this is inaccurate. Your problem is you're making a blanket statement based on whatever experience you've had.

My records have gotten added and played all day. I can send you Mediabase screenshots to prove it.

A program director has a boss like everyone else. I have a boss. I make my decisions. Sometimes my boss asks "what's up with this". And I tell him.

That doesn't mean I need his permission to make my own decisions.

So you were at a radio station. And you're taking that experience at one station and applying it to every radio chain?

So because Cox, Clear Channel, CBS, Emmis, Entercom, Cumulus etc. are all major corporations in the same industry, they are all operated the same way?

No :lol:

Like I said, maybe whatever local station you went to.

And stop comparing it to a ordinary boss relationship, because it's not.

Yes, most radio stations are operated the same way. Because all of them are based around ad revenue. Again, you are speaking from an artist perspective. I am speaking from someone with inner workings of radio behind the scenes.

Are you getting your songs played during the day in New York City? Atlanta? Chicago? Los Angeles?

Last edited:
roll.gif
roll.gif

It wasn't even that long ago since Kendrick dropped that line

and the emotions are all coming back 

on the flip side Maino agreed when Kendrick said it so why he so mad at James 

roll.gif
roll.gif

It wasn't even that long ago since Kendrick dropped that line

and the emotions are all coming back

on the flip side Maino agreed when Kendrick said it so why he so mad at James
Cause he knows he can't see K.dot on or off the mic.

For those not familiar with Top Dog's (The Person) affiliations. Go check up on him.

I'm not an artist. And it's my job to interact with radio, every chain, on a day in day out basis.

I know quite a bit about what happens behind the scenes at radio. I've actually consulted a few in terms of launching new stations/formats in certain markets.

How is it not an ordinary boss relationship? We all have people we need to be accountable to. That doesn't mean those people don't empower us to do what we do well and make smart decisions.

I didn't say radio stations. I said corporations. To assume that just because companies are in the same industry that they are operated and managed exactly the same is asinine.

Yes, my songs have have gotten played during the say in New York, Chicago and LA. Not so much Atlanta recently. Because that LOCAL PROGRAMMER wasn't feeling my **** for his station or market.

Remember, I'm not the one who came in here making blanket statements about an entire industry. So I'm just providing some clarity.

If you don't realize that generalizations, in any capacity, usually lend themselves to glaring inaccuracies, I don't know what to tell you.

The other problem with your generalization is that things aren't even the same across different formats. You don't work AC Radio and Urban Radio the same. You don't work Pop and Latin Radio the same. etc. etc.

Last edited:
I'm not an artist. And it's my job to interact with radio, every chain, on a day in day out basis.

I know quite a bit about what happens behind the scenes at radio. I've actually consulted a few in terms of launching new stations/formats in certain markets.

How is it not an ordinary boss relationship? We all have people we need to be accountable to. That doesn't mean those people don't empower us to do what we do well and make smart decisions.

I didn't say radio stations. I said corporations. To assume that just because companies are in the same industry that they are operated and managed exactly the same is asinine.

Yes, my songs have have gotten played during the say in New York, Chicago and LA. Not so much Atlanta recently. Because that LOCAL PROGRAMMER wasn't feeling my **** for his station or market.

Remember, I'm not the one who came in here making blanket statements about an entire industry. So I'm just providing some clarity.

If you don't realize that generalizations, in any capacity, usually lend themselves to glaring inaccuracies, I don't know what to tell you.

You aren't providing clarity though.

If you go to two subway stores, are they going to be exactly the same...of course not. But for the most part they are operated the same, because they have the same goal and all of them are connected under the same umbrella producing the same product by the same means.

Go to youtube and type in DJ Law and watch him explain the radio.
Go to youtube and watch Ebro explain the radio.
These are program directors explaining the radio.

And I'd really like to know these songs you got played during the day and for which station, because I guarantee you it wasn't a local artist.

Even Atlanta where they can do more, songs go on mixshows and at night developing a following first. A random Joe blow is not being added to primetime radio out of nowhere.

Subway the sandwich shop?

That's a ******g franchise.

OK, that was a completely idiotic comparison.

CBS, Clear Channel, Cumulus etc. are all competitors. Again, to assume they are all managed and operated the same is asinine.

Been a while, but yes, I've gotten local artists on massive radio stations. Lately it hasn't been as much local. But then again, the way some tell it, indies can't get on the radio, local artist or not. But that's false as well.

I'm not providing clarity? You've provided nothing but nonsense.

Why do I need to go to Youtube to watch guys "explain the radio". I met with 2 program directors yesterday. 2 mixshow guys. 1 APD.

I'll be at one of the biggest Pop stations in the US today and one of the biggest Rhythm stations in the US tomorrow.

All owned by different corporations and all with different programming philosophies.

I'm good :lol:

Cause he knows he can't see K.dot on or off the mic.

For those not familiar with Top Dog's (The Person) affiliations. Go check up on him.

And because Kendrick didn't diss New York. He was using a metaphor of being the child of Biggie and Pac, best rapper

It's amazing to me how people couldn't get this

I'm important like the pope/I'm a muslim on pork/I'm Makaveli's offspring, I'm the king of New York
King of the Coast, one hand, I juggle them both/The juggernaut's all in your jugular, you take me for jokes

This was normal braggadocio rap.

That was totally different than Trinidad James lecture.

And because Kendrick didn't diss New York. He was using a metaphor of being the child of Biggie and Pac, best rapper

I'm important like the pope/I'm a muslim on pork/I'm Makaveli's offspring, I'm the king of New York
King of the Coast, one hand, I juggle them both/The juggernaut's all in your jugular, you take me for jokes

you was emotional during that time too just like all those NYC rappers that took it as a diss

does this fell like deja vu 

Subway the sandwich shop?

That's a ******g franchise.

OK, that was a completely idiotic comparison.

CBS, Clear Channel, Cumulus etc. are all competitors. Again, to assume they are all managed and operated the same is asinine.

Been a while, but yes, I've gotten local artists on massive radio stations. Lately it hasn't been as much local. But then again, the way some tell it, indies can't get on the radio, local artist or not. But that's false as well.

I'm not providing clarity? You've provided nothing but nonsense.

Why do I need to go to Youtube to watch guys "explain the radio". I met with 2 program directors yesterday. 2 mixshow guys. 1 APD.

I'll be at one of the biggest Pop stations in the US today and one of the biggest Rhythm stations in the US tomorrow.

All owned by different corporations and all with different programming philosophies.

I'm good :lol:

You need to go to youtube to listen to guys who actually know what they're talking about involved in the business, because you don't.

I'm talking about urban radio. Not comparing it to a pop station. This topic was about hip hop, right? So do you think I'm comparing a urban station to a pop, top 40 or country?

And it's sad you don't get the analogy. So 92.3 and 105.1, both run by Clear Channel aren't run the same? Hot 97 and Power 105 aren't run similar?

And yeah I bet you've gotten average Joe Schmoe artist play during the day :lol:

you was emotional during that time too just like all those NYC rappers that took it as a diss
does this fell like deja vu 

No I wasn't responding to what Kendrick said. I was responding to those of you who took it as a chance to pile on.

Every thread is a chance to take shots at the throne.

Like I always say, if New York didn't matter, it wouldn't be mentioned so much.
maybe so but if NYC didnt fell some type of way about Hip Hop and how they are not getting any play

it wouldnt happen you got cats from NYC crying about how Ny cant get any spins
how other regions are killing the culture yada yada yada

IMHO Kendrick and James are speaking the truth 

its kinda like a pimp reminding a *** she a *** 

NYC needs that sometimes 

Last edited:
And I never understood how dudes take to twitter to let people know that they are still

alive like how is maino going to get mad at James for stating an opinion yet you have no new music for your fans

thats waiting on it

Maino stays putting out music

why anyone cares who's on the radio is beyond me

why anyone is listening to Trinidad James' opinion on anything is beyond me

dude put out one ok tape thats the end of his chapter

maybe so but if NYC didnt fell some type of way about Hip Hop and how they are not getting any play
it wouldnt happen you got cats from NYC crying about how Ny cant get any spins

how other regions are killing the culture yada yada yada
IMHO Kendrick and James are speaking the truth 
its kinda like a pimp reminding a *** she a *** 
NYC needs that sometimes 

So do you think the culture of hip hop is positive and in a good place?

And I never understood how dudes take to twitter to let people know that they are still
alive like how is maino going to get mad at James for stating an opinion yet you have no new music for your fans
thats waiting on it

Maino has released a couple of songs over the past two weeks.

laugh.gif
 Damn Magic I knew that...I was just saying Maino wasn't as nice as K.dot. Verse for verse he can't see em.

Back
Top Bottom