Trinidad James said "The South runs NY" while in NYC..

It's hilarious to me how dudes will compare one city to 13 states
laugh.gif

Sheeeeesh, I hope you are winning

BTW who's hot from Texas?
Don't make it look like I'm ganging up the south on you now.

If I told you who was hot from Texas it won't matter to you anyway cause you don't see them and hear them in your everyday life like I do.

All in all I'm proud of where I'm from much like you.

If NY had higher standards, they'd be breaking new NY artists with updated NY sound on a daily basis. Their playlist was posted a couple pages back, seems like they have the same standards as everybody else.

Because the radio stations are corporations. Playlist aren't determined locally.

Radio playlist are determined in Indianapolis, Kansas City or wherever the head of Radio One, Clear Channel or Emmis are located.

It's no different than your local McDonald's. It doesn't determine it's menu.

We're basically in agreement about my original post mentioning the corporate stranglehold on music. If individuals who work at these stations truly wanted to, they could very well be playing anything they want instead of the rigid playlists they have. DJ Envy, Big Boy and other DJs of the like could be spinning any music they want in prime hours. If they didn't have some sort of power, then why even have individual stations? Why don't they just monopolize everything into one station completely? Cause that's pretty much what it feels like anyway.

i mess with plenty of Southern artists, maybe not alot of the newer cats but J. Cole, Pusha T, T.I., Jeezy, Ross, Luda, Young Buck, Scarface, Trae Tha Truth & UGK, are artists i respct in the south. they are much more than club music, they also got solid catalogs to prove it.

Dude!

Future has the number 1 most added record to radio at this moment. Real and True ft. Miley. What are you saying?

Cash Money ran and still runs the radio via Drake.

I will agree that ATL sends out alot of artists that are good for 1 single and then they vanish. But what are you mad about? The fact that Lyrical music doesn't get played or that east coast music isn't really played like that?

When I say Pusha T and J.Cole I say that due to the region they were musically established in. Cole broke in NC which is the south. He then moved to NY to pursue a deal. Clipse broke in the south due to how they really connected with the drug game in the south.

People say that all the time. Just cause he isnt rhyming over a trap beat he is trying to be a East Coast rapper. That's when I bring up the New School of southern artist whose content is familiar to southern life.

Nah man I'm not salty at all. Its just the truth though. The L is sitting on the table.

Dude your only further proving my point. With everyone you just named that was a boss. Jay and Puff...they had to get behind something from the south to remain relevant. They gave up on the East Coast cause they know to even make a dollar these days you have to get with the the region that holds a larger piece of the map.

You can have a succesful radio run w/o NY. You know why? NY picks up whats already jumping out here.(These are words straight from EBro of Hot 97) We don't look up north for hits. The east coast looks down south for stuff to play.

In regards to PUSHA....V.A. isnt the south? There isn't a drop of southern Influence in Pusha T...ok.

In regards to Cole...Fayetteville North Carolina isn't the South?

View media item 653956

T.I.'s first single was 24s prod. by DJ Toomp...Bring Em out was his 1st single on his 3rd album :lol:

I will not say Jay or Puff gave us anything at all. They exposed the artists you named to the rest of the country. We...The South were already rocking with these artists before they came along and attached thier name to anyone.

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Dude!

Future has the number 1 most added record to radio at this moment. Real and True ft. Miley. What are you saying?

I will agree that ATL sends out alot of artists that are good for 1 single and then they vanish. But what are you mad about? The fact that Lyrical music doesn't get played or that east coast music isn't really played like that?

When I say Pusha T and J.Cole I say that due to the region they were musically established in. Cole broke in NC which is the south. He then moved to NY to pursue a deal. Clipse broke in the south due to how they really connected with the drug game in the south.

People say that all the time. Just cause he isnt rhyming over a trap beat he is trying to be a East Coast rapper. That's when I bring up the New School of southern artist whose content is familiar to southern life.

Nah man I'm not salty at all. Its just the truth though. The L is sitting on the table.

Dude your only further proving my point. With everyone you just named that was a boss. Jay and Puff...they had to get behind something from the south to remain relevant. They gave up on the East Coast cause they know to even make a dollar these days you have to get with the the region that holds a larger piece of the map.

You can have a succesful radio run w/o NY. You know why? NY picks up whats already jumping out here.(These are words straight from EBro of Hot 97) We don't look up north for hits. The east coast looks down south for stuff to play.

In regards to PUSHA....V.A. isnt the south? There isn't a drop of southern Influence in Pusha T...ok.

No, you're proving my point.

Is that a solo Future song? As I was saying....

And you know damn well J Cole and Pusha T aren't typical south artist and have far from south styles. J Cole moved to go to St John's. The same way you can say French is trying to copy the south, I can do that about Pusha T or J Cole.

Of course they have some south influence, but I live in Va Beach b, and VA Beach has a whole lot more New York influence than south.

Last edited:
Dude!

View media item 653956

T.I.'s first single was 24s prod. by DJ Toomp...Bring Em out was his 1st single on his 3rd album :lol:

I will not say Jay or Puff gave us anything at all. They exposed the artists you named to the rest of the country. We...The South were already rocking with these artists before they came along and attached thier name to anyone.

So when Nicki & French get signed by someone in the south they got put on by the south..... When artist from the south got signed and work heavily with the East it's just the east needing the south?

Are you telling me that an artist with a True hit can afford to not get any play in NY?

Your really going to sit here and tell me that J.Cole & Pusha T aren't clearly influenced by east coast rap?

The fact of the matter is your 3 highest selling artist (Wayne, Cole, Ross/Jeezy) have east coast DNA all throughout their style and backings. The whole south were messing with them..... yet the hiphop landscape didn't know of them until those deals were signed and those songs were released through Jay's regime at Def Jam.

Fam if you really think that somehow Houston has this deep effect on hiphop yet wanna diminish how NYC until this day is still influencing the south i really don't want to discuss this anymore. But good luck trying to force dat L, tell me again how MIA ****** traditionally ride around in maybachs & are into the mafioso rap :lol:

Jay z verse on Hustling Remix solidified Rick Ross .Quality of music out the south is bad for every Rapsody ,Cole or Krit we got ten Migos and Waka copycats. No real consistent right now and doesn't seem like it's getting better it seems to be getting worse .If we don't put on good music that's actually worth more than just something to go the strip club to we out the door.That whole myth of who grinds the most wins is a lie .A lot of these cats using payola in the south to get on .Rapsody been grinding all year the south don't respect or acknowledge her grind same with Krit dude put out consistent tapes yet because he ain't making basic songs that can be rotated in an out of a strip club or club he getting no love.We can sit back and say this is revenge because the south got done dirty years ago by some award shows and magazines yet we hurting ourselves and the culture .its like breaking up with a chick and smashing a thousand ugly and fat broads to make yourself feel better you worried about body count more than quality and consistency.

T.I.'s first single was actually I'm Serious, joint stayed on BET

guess it wasn't really a hit though

this whole South/East thing is sooo tired though

regionality lines in mainstream music have all but dissolved thanks to the web

is not even worth trying to quantify at this point

Cultural influencers have a a far greater reach now, it's leading to a homogenizing of sound and styles

Last edited:
No, you're proving my point.

Is that a solo Future song? As I was saying....

And you know damn well J Cole and Pusha T aren't typical south artist and have far from south styles. J Cole moved to go to St John's. The same way you can say French is trying to copy the south, I can do that about Pusha T or J Cole.

Of course they have some south influence, but I live in Va Beach b, and VA Beach has a whole lot more New York influence than south.
Yes it's a future single.

I'll give you Pusha but not clipse. You know like I know that all parts of VA outside the beach are not NY influenced. Its a toss up. Norfolk is one of the exceptions to the rule.

I understand you saying they are trying to copy or mimic but....why can't anyone from the east coast pop with that sound then? It's the guys at the top (Jay, Diddy, Ye) knowing that the south will get behind it due to where its from.

If the south got Cash Out popping as wack as he was of course Pusha T and Cole will boom. Why not French though? Why Not Joey Badass?

Cause the truth is outside of all of us hip-hop heads on NT. The east coast hears as many future & ross lyrics as they do Hov in 2013.

It hurts to admit I know but its the way the world is. I never said it was right or wrong. I just stated the facts.

I just wanna hear some lyrics pushed to the forefront no matter where they are from.

But...

From all standpoints the south does run things. Look at it anyway you want.

"I'm serious" didn't do well which is why I didn't say that. I know the entire country felt when 24's dropped though.

I will NOT tolerate any Migos slander. Dudes are making better music than 90% of the artist out.

Still praying for a Migos x Triple 6 mafia collab

Yes it's a future single.

I'll give you Pusha but not clipse. You know like I know that all parts of VA outside the beach are not NY influenced. Its a toss up. Norfolk is one of the exceptions to the rule.

I understand you saying they are trying to copy or mimic but....why can't anyone from the east coast pop with that sound then? It's the guys at the top (Jay, Diddy, Ye) knowing that the south will get behind it due to where its from.

If the south got Cash Out popping as wack as he was of course Pusha T and Cole will boom. Why not French though? Why Not Joey Badass?

Cause the truth is outside of all of us hip-hop heads on NT. The east coast hears as many future & ross lyrics as they do Hov in 2013.

It hurts to admit I know but its the way the world is. I never said it was right or wrong. I just stated the facts.

I just wanna hear some lyrics pushed to the forefront no matter where they are from.

But...

From all standpoints the south does run things. Look at it anyway you want.

Dude, it's not a solo Future song point blank period. It's getting spin because of how hot Miley Cyrus is. She helps him tap in to the pop and top 20 stations. Future can't carry songs by himself.

And Ross is popular up to a point. He's not on Jay-Z or Em level, much less Drake or Wayne.

Again you're comparing 13 states to one city. In the city of Miami who else is hot as Ross? Ace Hood? Dude can't sell 100 and can't carry a song by himself. Atlanta is pretty much the only city that has multiple artist that are hot and can sell records.

The rest of it is a bunch of collabo and feature songs. That's why a YG will put Jeezy and Gotti on his song. Jay-Z and Nicki aren't going to appear on every New York rappers song.

Last edited:

Cultural influencers have a a far greater reach now, it's leading to a homogenizing of sound and styles

I believe that but there are some cats in here who are acting as if the South is dominating rap, when statistics just don't show that. People from all over the place are winning.... and what is bad about the south claim of them holding down the Clubs/radio is that despite their being great artist who do it from the region the same trash artist and recycled styles are what's holding them down.

That's bad for rap as a whole.

Dude, it's not a solo Future song point blank period. It's getting spin because of how hot Miley Cyrus is. She helps him tap in to the pop and top 20 stations. Future can't carry songs by himself.

And Ross is popular up to a point. He's not on Jay-Z or Em level, much less Drake or Wayne.

Again you're comparing 13 states to one city. In the city of Miami who else is hot as Ross? Ace Hood? Dude can't sell 100 and can't carry a song by himself. Atlanta is pretty much the only city that has multiple artist that are hot and can sell records.

The rest of it is a bunch of collabo and feature songs. That's why a YG will put Jeezy and Gotti on his song. Jay-Z and Nicki aren't going to appear on every New York rappers song.
Ok with Future...

What do you call "Tony Montana"? What about "Turn on the lights"? "SAME DAMN TIME"??? What?!? Diddy even jumped on that. All solo hits by future.

Anything he touches or Mike Will touches is getting spun without hesitation. C'mon now...

Im comparing a region to another region. East to South.

Ace Hood is trash and should not be mentioned in this conversation at all.

Because the radio stations are corporations. Playlist aren't determined locally.

Radio playlist are determined in Indianapolis, Kansas City or wherever the head of Radio One, Clear Channel or Emmis are located.

It's amazing how many people don't understand this.

People don't "understand this" because it just isn't the case.

Where is it exactly that all of you get your information about the ins and outs of corporate radio from? What book or website?

On the other hand, I have first hand knowledge of how this works. Does this happen sometimes? Sure. The only radio corporation where this is REALLY the case is Cumulus. Maybe Radio One to a certain extent.

Do other chains use the power of all of their stations to get what they need sometimes? Sure.

But this just isn't the case as much as some of you think it is, given how much people say this on here.

I've personally gotten songs on Clear Channel stations, CBS stations, etc etc. this year. Working with local programmers.

Big Boy is an on-air personality. Not a programmer. His responsibility is the content between the songs. The programmer handles the songs.

Same with Envy now as well unless he's still doing a mixshow.

It's appalling how many misguided, blanket statements get thrown around here as truth.

NYC started losing power when they stop collaborating..people act like g-unit/dipset/d-block/terrorsquad/rocafella's run was 100 years ago

or something..its not hard to get da crown back BUT:

-da legends need to stop being boogi and DROP MIXTAPES

-we need MORE COLLABS

It's amazing how many people don't understand this.

Where is it exactly that all of you get your information about the ins and outs of corporate radio from? What book or website?

On the other hand, I have first hand knowledge of how this works. Does this happen sometimes? Sure. The only radio corporation where this is REALLY the case is Cumulus. Maybe Radio One to a certain extent.

Do other chains use the power of all of their stations to get what they need sometimes? Sure.

But this just isn't the case as much as some of you think it is, given how much people say this on here.

I've personally gotten songs on Clear Channel stations, CBS stations, etc etc. this year. Working with local programmers.

Big Boy is an on-air personality. Not a programmer. His responsibility is the content between the songs. The programmer handles the songs.

It's appalling how many misguided, blanket statements get thrown around here as truth.
I wasn't cosigning the specifics, just the notion that the ability to break a local artist isn't as it should be. Yes there are some DJ's with leeway to spin whatever they want but for the most part the songs that are played on the radio are predetermined. Programmers aren't out here lining up artists regionally to break new acts. They're playing what they and their bosses think will generate revenue. The new kid with the buzz in the city isn't going to see nearly the representation that he should.

OK. I don't disagree with that. But then why are they SUPPOSED to play regional artists?

Is radio supposed to be charitable for some reason?

Right. They're playing what they think will help generate revenue.

I don't understand the converse though. Are they supposed to play regional artists....just because? When in reality there is not enough demand from their audience for music from "local artists"?

I love Sean Price. I love Run The Jewelz. I don't need radio to play them to enjoy them and I'm not sure there are enough people in NY that radio should.

And I'm not mad at that.

I think Run The Jewels is the best album this year. Even on here, it's a 2 page thread with no action. So how can a radio station justify playing that when even in this forum, it seems like people aren't even checking for it like THAT?

From being at a radio station.

Any other questions?

Next you're saying a lot of what I didn't say. I have no clue why you mentioned Big Boy or Envy.

Have you ever watched Ebro explain it?

A programming director has to account for any song he wants to play, and give a reason if it's different from the one that they want. Playlist aren't determined locally. Corporations determine it, because they develop playlist for ad revenue. The money doesn't go locally, it goes to Emmis, Clear Channel. They're in the business of making money, not pleasing or educating the listener. The only time slots that get a pass are the mix show ones...but pretty much from 6am to 5 you're getting the same songs every two hours.

This is why I can be in Virginia, go to New York and hear basically the same songs.

And if you got a song on the radio it was in a slot like Sunday night or late at night when the listenership is the lowest. The majority of people listen to the radio in their car or commuting(car or train)...not at home.

Last edited:
Being at a radio station? Or working at one? As a paid employee? In programming?

Again. You're making blanket statements. And they just are not accurate.

Your experience is different than mine. So it's obviously not the rule.

I work with plenty of radio stations that are owned by larger corporations that determine their playlists locally.

Period.

So yes, a program director has a boss to account to. Who doesn't?

That doesn't mean he isn't capable of making his own decisions about what he wants to play.

Being at a radio station? Or working at one? As a paid employee? In programming?

Again. You're making blanket statements. And they just are not accurate.

Your experience is different than mine. So it's obviously not the rule.

I work with plenty of radio stations that are owned by larger corporations that determine their playlists locally.

Period.

So yes, a program director has a boss to account to. Who doesn't?

That doesn't mean he isn't capable of making his own decisions about what he wants to play.

My statements aren't accurate :lol:

Dude I'm not going to say too much, but I know this for a fact. From what, and who I know.

A program director has to account for and give a reason why he wants to play a song.

If you get added, it's during a spot when listenership isn't high. You aren't getting played in a Rihanna time slot, because listeners are changing the station and they aren't playing you over a Drake song.

Maybe you did this at one of the few local stations, but most of them are controlled by a corporation.

Last edited:
OK. I don't disagree with that. But then why are they SUPPOSED to play regional artists?

Is radio supposed to be charitable for some reason?

Right. They're playing what they think will help generate revenue.

I don't understand the converse though. Are they supposed to play regional artists....just because? When in reality there is not enough demand from their audience for music from "local artists"?

I love Sean Price. I love Run The Jewelz. I don't need radio to play them to enjoy them and I'm not sure there are enough people in NY that radio should.

And I'm not mad at that.

I think Run The Jewels is the best album this year. Even on here, it's a 2 page thread with no action. So how can a radio station justify playing that when even in this forum, it seems like people aren't even checking for it like THAT?
I think you're wrong. It just seems like the demand isn't there because most are apathetic. It's like saying there's no demand for healthy food just because there's so much cheap fast food around. The demand is there ,but the people are fickle. No one is going to call radio and demand they play anything. They're just going to consume what they're given. Those who want to "eat" better will find alternatives. People are just exhausted with radio so they don't go there for their supply. Radio in this day and age is the equivalent of elevator music. You listen to it simply because its there. You don't if you have access to better options. MP3, satellite, etc. Me personally, I rarely listen to radio. It's literally last resort. I believe most people who listen to radio in this day and age do so either out of habit or out of not having those alternatives (limited resources, limited functionality in cars, etc). So while this current model of generating revenue by playing the hottest songs in the country is working, I feel like it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Radio stations could be dynamic if they chose to and garner the same amount of listeners, if not more. If either Hot 97 or Power 105 wanted to really take hold on NYC urban radio they'd have to take chances. It's safe to just play the same thing as your competitor and try to garner viewers with all the bull in between songs. But I guess the radio stations are reflecting the music. Especially in NYC. Do what's popular and you will succeed.

Back
Top Bottom