Uber Driver killed by 13 and 15 yr old in DC

I don't think "smart" is the right word to use.

I think most of us believe that the powers that can easily/simply shift some things around and allow poorer folks to live more comfortably.

I don't think it IS that simple/easy but I assume that's what people want.

if you had it your way, how would that look like? please be as detailed as possible. i have had similar discussions before and the only thing people said was tax the F outta of the rich.

I'll keep it simple and name a FEW things that could help close the gap. (These are not the ONLY things)

Universal health Care
Free Child Care
Free After School Tutoring
Free Higher Education
Free shelter for the homeless

Not sure how I would ideally fix schools

Nothing I am saying should be taken as me saying these are SIMPLE fixes and/or are highly realistic.
Nothing I am saying should be taken as me saying these are SIMPLE fixes and/or are highly realistic.

on some real ****, i rather use the $$$ from the "free higher education" bucket & put it all in fixing the K-12...that alone should have its own NT thread

also, my question is how we would do it lol, no shots & im not really trying to grill you or anybody else. im legit interested in hearing about solutions to the problem.

on some real ****, i rather use the $$$ from the "free higher education" bucket & put it all in fixing the K-12...that alone should have its own NT thread

also, my question is how we would do it lol, no shots & im not really trying to grill you or anybody else. im legit interested in hearing about solutions to the problem.

Not sure if the Higher Education/Fixing K-12 needs to be an "Either or" thing. (Not sure)

But Yea, I won't pretend to be knowledgeable enough about how the US Government's Budget operates to explain how it's done.

So I can't really give an answer on "How would it be done."

Maybe RustyShackleford RustyShackleford can answer.

Poverty isn’t the end all be all. It’s the constant stress during all aspects of life. Go to sleep worries, go to schools worried, hate home worried, just a constant load on your mind. Poverty does spur a large majority of that. If you handed someone a wad of cash does that take the stress away? Legitimate question for those who’d like to answer

Free After School Tutoring

i have been thinking for a min about how we could somehow use retired folks as tutors. i feel like we can get their services for cheaper (maybe government $$$) & they are probably willing to give up 3-10 hours of their week to give back.

i have been thinking for a min about how we could somehow use retired folks as tutors. i feel like we can get their services for cheaper (maybe government $$$) & they are probably willing to give up 3-10 hours of their week to give back.

As long as they have shown a level of competency with the content, sure.

Free Higher Education
It might be a reference bias on my end, but every single person I have talked to who grew up poor but went to college did so free or practically free, myself included. I think the college debt is mainly hurting the middle class and in terms of ending poverty, I don't think that's one of the factors.

Yea your sample is highly unique then.

Well I know WAY more students that have to pay for school that don't.

Not being able to have the financial means to pursue higher education is definitely one of the issues.

Hypothetically for argument sake, let's say it is a huge problem for students coming from low income families. Just due to the fact that they make up such a low % of the total student population, it doesn't make it a wise financial decision to fix it for 100% of the population just to help them. If anything, just give it to only for those coming from those families.

I wish Tony Lewis the best as I’m familiar with his story and others from Rayful’s crew..………….but this tweet and thought process from him above is a cop out. Everyone is not going to be getting a big bag of money dropped off for them to cure their economic woes. Even if that were to occur, the average individual would spend all that money before the week was over. A lot of folks simply don’t have the right mindset in life, either to work or to not do/commit criminal acts.

A lot of folks are voluntarily signing up for jail. If that’s the path they choose to take in life I say let them. Everyone is not going to be rich, and everyone is not going to be born into the middle class unfortunately. Some folks either by no fault of their own or by DIRECT FAULT of their parents will be born poor or into poverty……..that’s just life. Either way poverty is no excuse for a life of crime or gun violence. It’s the choices people make that partly affect their outcomes in life.

If anyone has ever talked to their relatives going back to stories their grandparents, great grandparents, or great great grandparents you would know that they were in a worse economic state back then than what we are now currently as a generation. That being said there was no degree of gun violence or crime to a measurable degree like there is today. Poverty is no excuse for bad behavior and having a bad moral compass.

Right now we have young kids instead of using the internet and FREE WIFI to better themselves, educate themselves or learn a trade they instead would rather use Instagram and YouTube to make a bunch of videos posing with guns beefing with other neighborhoods and communities near them. Which is going to continue the cycle of gun violence city to city. The only thing that’s missing from these videos is someone on camera holding a big sign that reads“Police…..Please Arrest Me”. There’s simply no free healthcare, free in education, free this or free that, that is going to help folks with this kind of plantation mindset. Nor should it as far as I’m concerned.

America has enough money to go around, let’s get that fact clear first. It’s just funneled back to the top. I’m not saying everyone should be equal, but the resources are more than available. They’re actually “smart enough” to keep this cycle the way it is. Our “public servants” are making triple digits a year

Go to Brazil and then tell me if you still feel this way.

I’m obviously talking about America in regards to my response to the direct quote. Do you know who Tony Lewis is? Do you know where he’s from, do you know where I’m from, do you even know the correlation and reasoning? Go ahead and fall back on this one champ. Bless your heart.

:lol: Yall funny man.

But deuce king deuce king , you don't think having to constantly live in "Survival Mode" (due to poverty) wouldn't influence your decision making and "Morals?"

That's why crime can't just be looked at in a simplistic manner.

America has enough money to go around, let’s get that fact clear first. It’s just funneled back to the top. I’m not saying everyone should be equal, but the resources are more than available. They’re actually “smart enough” to keep this cycle the way it is. Our “public servants” are making triple digits a year

1. who said America didn't have enough money to go around? as others mentioned, it's not just only passing the money from the top to the bottom. more has to be involved for this to work & it's not as simple as you implying.
2. resources for what? be specific.
3. how much should "public servants" make? justify the # you come up with.

1. who said America didn't have enough money to go around? as others mentioned, it's not just only passing the money from the top to the bottom. more has to be involved for this to work & it's not as simple as you implying.
2. resources for what? be specific.
3. how much should "public servants" make? justify the # you come up with.
1. Nobody said there wasn’t. Nobody said anything. I’m just stating a fact

2. how about healthcare? Affordable housing? More resources to public schools? Affordable higher education?

3. How about as much as like…… a policeman or teacher? Just as much as another “public servant”. I’ll justify that by saying they work with the community just like they do.

Good enough?

1. Nobody said there wasn’t. Nobody said anything. I’m just stating a fact

2. how about healthcare? Affordable housing? More resources to public schools? Affordable higher education?

3. How about as much as like…… a policeman or teacher? Just as much as another “public servant”. I’ll justify that by saying they work with the community just like they do.

Good enough?

1. "as others mentioned, it's not just only passing the money from the top to the bottom. more has to be involved for this to work & it's not as simple as you implying."

2. we can have an individual thread on each of the topics you listed. each & every single one of them is a highly complexed subject that requires a lot more than funneling money from the top to the bottom.

3. lol what makes you think policeman or teachers are paid what they are worth? one can easily argued if we paid teachers more, we would have better teachers & we can stop always getting the bottom of the pile individuals (no shots at DC)

1. "as others mentioned, it's not just only passing the money from the top to the bottom. more has to be involved for this to work & it's not as simple as you implying."

2. we can have an individual thread on each of the topics you listed. each & every single one of them is a highly complexed subject that requires a lot more than funneling money from the top to the bottom.

3. lol what makes you think policeman or teachers are paid what they are worth? one can easily argued if we paid teachers more, we would have better teachers & we can stop always getting the bottom of the pile individuals (no shots at DC)
1627323892319.gif

What are you even arguing? What are you even talking about? Nobody said anything against anything you said. Sounds like you walked in the convo with your shirt off for no reason.

no, throwing money at things won’t solve it but poverty, as ALREADY STATED, is the reason for a lot of crimes committed in one way or the other. Look up books on powerlessness and the effect it has on individuals from birth till death

I love when someone tells another person to read up/study up on x topic/book as:
1. if the person never did
2. if there's no opposing argument for it
3. if the person agrees with the conclusion or the data used or how the data was used

I thought you were sneak dissing when you quote and unquote smart enough. Since you didn't, let's move pass this

:lol: Yall funny man.

But deuce king deuce king , you don't think having to constantly live in "Survival Mode" (due to poverty) wouldn't influence your decision making and "Morals?"

That's why crime can't just be looked at in a simplistic manner.

The word “poverty” is a little bit of a stretch in my opinion…..but even with that being said I’ll still respond. Very interesting that you would use the phrase “survival mode” DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican . I was around the way in Congress Heights yesterday……right at the corner of Malcolm X and MLK. For those that don’t know that’s where a 6 year old was shot and killed a few days ago on Friday July 16th. I posted the link below. For those that don’t know do you know why the 6 year old was killed……other than being in front of a liquor store unfortunately at 11pm at night (SMH)…..it was because her father has beef with a crew nearby.

As it stands the 6 year old was apparently not the intended target as 5 other individuals got shot that night as well but this shooting just for example has nothing to do with poverty, free education, free healthcare, or free anything. This goes back to what I stated earlier about folks in the community creating beefs and bringing gun violence into their own neighborhoods instead of trying to better themselves. That’s the real “survival mode” to me. Again, no big bag of money is going to get dropped off for folks to live by. Responsibility breeds accountability. Folks have to improve themselves in order to improve their situation.

I think free shelters actually just puts a bandaid on the problem as opposed to offering real remedies to the root causes of homelessness. The homeless situation I think is less complex than people make it out to be and should be linked to the next massive health care reform. I think its as simple as brining mental institutions back, we have learned a lot of things in the past 60 years since they were essentially barred (for good reason) I think 90% of homeless people are mentally ill.

Back
Top Bottom