Under Armour?

Are there any new UA models like the apollo or fortis that I should look into? Something similar to the two mentioned. I might go with the apollo 2s since i like the design better than the 1. I won't be running in them, just walking around and wearing them to the gym.

Last edited:
Are there any new UA models like the apollo or fortis that I should look into? Something similar to the two mentioned. I might go with the apollo 2s since i like the design better than the 1. I won't be running in them, just walking around and wearing them to the gym.

The speedform geminis are like the apollos with more cushion.

At some point I will get a pair of Gemini to have a pair with more cushioning. I have been more than pleased with the Apollo 2. It's better to have more cushioning but it is adequate on the A2 that your feet won't get tired all day. Better for jogging/running as it's not higher off the ground than the Gemini.

The Charged Reckless is an alternate to the Apollo 2. Bandit 2 another one too. Slingshot/Slingride if you want a knitted upper instead of mesh.

Last edited:
^Geminis and apollos are on my list to try eventually

I have the Fortis and love them... cushion and fit are excellent.  I love that it has a lot of flex-grooves, almost nike-free esque yet blends that with the fantastic cushion.  I think I went half size up, you could prob stay true unless running in them I think half size up is the right move

Let us know what's up if you end up getting a pair.

I like the look a lot, regardless of how similar it is to the first Drives.  I still have four pairs of those and three pairs of Spawns so I'm not even thinking of any UA bball shoe to be honest.

^^^ yes, and still have a pair in closet - white/red. What's up?
Can you tell me your thoughts on them? They seemed to be one of UA's best shoe before the first cfd and i see a seller on ebay selling them for 55 shipped. I remember some people saying they preferred them to the kobe 4 at the time.

Last edited:
Materials were great - real leather and real soft. Micro g was low and responsive. Traction is indoor only but good on almost any floor - extremely dusty will be a problem. For $55 they are really good.

Materials were great - real leather and real soft. Micro g was low and responsive. Traction is indoor only but good on almost any floor - extremely dusty will be a problem. For $55 they are really good.
thanks. Most likely a cop for me since the cfd 1 is one my favorite shoes.

How heavy are these CFD 3s? I like the look of the hi but theres not many CWs in europe yet...

I saw a site list the weight as 390 grams = 13.8 oz for the mids, lows are .2 oz lighter for a size 9. Seems about right in relation to the past two iterations.

Excited for the new retail location here in downtown Philly. I bet they will carry mostly training gear, as that product will target our demographic.

anyone squat, deadlift, or do cleans in the Apollo 2s? Would there be too much foot movement in the shoe?
I have not, but I wouldn't recommend doing any of those lifts in any kind of running shoe.  The Apollo 2's use Charged and Micro G so they are no exception.  Depends on how serious the lifts are though.  Seen plenty of people doing those lifts in runners, but they usually take it easy.

If I am going to go through the trouble of doing those lifts, I'm going to go for efficiency.  Cushy foam midsoles do not help with efficiency and power transfer.

I'd deadlift barefoot or in minimal shoes.

Squat in weightlifting shoes or something with a firm, stable base.

Cleans in lifting shoes or firm trainers.

I wonder if UA will release a lifting shoe.  Adidas and Nike both have theirs and they're very popular with great reviews.

I have not, but I wouldn't recommend doing any of those lifts in any kind of running shoe.  The Apollo 2's use Charged and Micro G so they are no exception.  Depends on how serious the lifts are though.  Seen plenty of people doing those lifts in runners, but they usually take it easy.

If I am going to go through the trouble of doing those lifts, I'm going to go for efficiency.  Cushy foam midsoles do not help with efficiency and power transfer.

I'd deadlift barefoot or in minimal shoes.

Squat in weightlifting shoes or something with a firm, stable base.

Cleans in lifting shoes or firm trainers.

I wonder if UA will release a lifting shoe.  Adidas and Nike both have theirs and they're very popular with great reviews.

Gotcha. Im gonna try out the free trainer 1.0. I always did those lifts in running shoes and don't feel as stable as I would like but I never gave it much thought.

You might get away with light weights. They have no support whatsoever or very minimal. It's for walking/light run. I would give the Charged Ultimate TR low trainers a try instead or wait for the Rock's shoe next year

Last edited:
Really depends on the purpose and goals.

If you're just doing those lifts casually without trying to make serious gains, and there's nothing wrong with that, I don't see a problem with wearing shoes like Apollos.  I would still stay away from air based shoes or something softer like Boost or Asics gel.  We on NT tend to be a bit snobby about shoes, but lots of people out there don't care and wear one pair of shoes for everything.

Now if you're hitting the weights a little more seriously or you lift according to some kind of program, then footwear is crucial, along with other gear like lifting straps, wrist straps, knee sleeves and so on.

It probably matters to no one, but I hit 455 squat in Nike Air Veers. They got son beat up I've switched to some Jordan Flight Club 90s (I think) for squats and Nike Air Flight Falcons (I think) for deadlifts. The flatter bottoms with less height is seems like are much better.....just my two cents.I would adivise you to not to a "squishy" shoe for moving heavier weights, but for your run of the mill gym goer then their trainers should be fine. I used UAs "Gridiron Trainer" I believe it was and it worked well.....that's also around the time I had a thing for shoes with a strap

That's a pretty impressive number.  I've always been a crappy squatter and power lifter in general.  Much better at body weight stuff and overall athletics and sports.  I've never had the dedication or will to stick to just lifting.

Deadlifts and squats will do wonders for explosiveness.  Would highly recommend to include them in workouts if possible.

That's a pretty impressive number.  I've always been a crappy squatter and power lifter in general.  Much better at body weight stuff and overall athletics and sports.  I've never had the dedication or will to stick to just lifting.

Deadlifts and squats will do wonders for explosiveness.  Would highly recommend to include them in workouts if possible.

Totally recommend! To me, they are some of the best movements....so fulfilling.

Really depends on the purpose and goals.

If you're just doing those lifts casually without trying to make serious gains, and there's nothing wrong with that, I don't see a problem with wearing shoes like Apollos.  I would still stay away from air based shoes or something softer like Boost or Asics gel.  We on NT tend to be a bit snobby about shoes, but lots of people out there don't care and wear one pair of shoes for everything.

Now if you're hitting the weights a little more seriously or you lift according to some kind of program, then footwear is crucial, along with other gear like lifting straps, wrist straps, knee sleeves and so on.
haha no body builder or oly lifter over here... Just trying to be as athletic as i can be. Ill keep the apollo 2s for casual and get a pair of free trainer 1.0s before looking at more serious lifting shoes like the crossfit lite TR, metcons, etc.. Now if i can find out what Westbrook does to move like that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom