*Update* Can Irv Gotti save Def Jam? Vol. passion buckets are full!, Vol 2. Joie Manda...who???

Get More: Music News

thoughts on Gotti and his comments...

I think he is right.

If not him then who?

Update:

The new president of Def Jam- Joie Manda

joie-1.jpg

[color= rgb(128, 128, 128)]“Running Def Jam is the greatest challenge of my career and I am appreciative to Barry Weiss for his faith in appointing me to this position. I’m excited to work alongside Steve Bartels, who is one of the most talented music execs in the business and who has played such an important role in building the IDJ team. The Def Jam artist roster has always been synonymous with the greatest in hip-hop, and I intend to carry that tradition into the future.â€[/color]

Chairman & CEO of Universal Republic and Island Def Jam Barry Weiss says:
[color= rgb(128, 128, 128)]“As we look to expand Def Jam and our creative urban music activities even further, there is no one better to lead them than Joie. He has emerged as one of the most respected young executives in today’s Urban music landscape, possessing all the qualifications and experience  that are essential to run Def Jam, the world’s most important hip-hop destination. The entire Def Jam family looks forward to working closely with Joie as he puts his unique imprint on the next chapter in the label’s storied and successful history.â€[/color]

I've never heard Irv be that passionate...damn near convinced me.
laugh.gif

Good arguments though.

I've always respected Irv... Always thought he should've gotten the job instead of Jay.

If you don't know anything else about Irv you know he's Hip Hop to the core and knows what he's doing in that position.

This is why i %%%*$ with Irv... Whether he's right or wrong you know hes ready to ride for what he believes in. He's the perfect Candidate for the job and he's completely right

LET DEF JAM DIE PLZ

Seriously these major record labels are not good for hip hop anyway you look at it. We dont need record labels all in the artists music giving out bad deals. These days an artist doesnt need that machine like in the past look how many artist blew up without a major.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

LET DEF JAM DIE PLZ

Seriously these major record labels are not good for hip hop anyway you look at it. We dont need record labels all in the artists music giving out bad deals. These days an artist doesnt need that machine like in the past look how many artist blew up without a major.
Word.

Indie Label + Distribution > Major

Early in the game majors were good for hip hop but since the cd era is over and the internet era has begun, major haven't adjusted.

Artists and fans alike to need help this shift happen, stop supporting the garbage and the real talent will become "mainstream"

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

LET DEF JAM DIE PLZ

While I agree 100% I want Def Jam to be the last label to die when it comes to Hip Hop.

Great points by Irv. We come from the same era. I love how he says it wasn't just about a song.

I get passionate about music. When people say it's just "entertainment", well it's more than that to some of us.

I think the consumer is also to blame for the state of the music for the reason I mentioned above. They don't care about the music or the artists anymore.

They just want a song to sing along to or to vibe out to. They don't demand substance from their music anymore.

More on the topic....

It ain't really Def Jam anymore. It's Island/Def Jam. They keep the name because it's a brand. No one from DEF JAM is even involved anymore.

So in a way, Def Jam is already dead.

awwsome is correct. Indie with distribution is what's up. But let me say one thing on that note....

You need real industry experience to make it happen in that situation. I work at a very big indie with distribution. And the reason we can compete with the majors....is because at one point, we all worked for the majors.

We played ball on that level. Took our passion and our experience somewhere else and continue to play ball at that level.

So the majors have their place. Don't hate on them. Look at Gee Roberson. He's legit and he's running a major. Jay Z was Pres at a major.

It is just that much better for everyone though when independents prove that they can do it too. So you don't NEED the majors.

I loved this intv.

Gotti said what a LOT of people in the business were thinking about LA Reid...honestly when I was at Def Jam, i saw and heard a lot of things people were saying and could understand why they felt the way they felt. You gotta understand, Def Jam is THE hip hop label. Gotti hit the nail on the head about them.

He's not PC and he definitely ha no filter, but he understands the game from a basic level organically as a DJ and producer all the way up to the executive level. Him and Dame are basically the same person now except Dame seems less confrontational that Irv...

Yo dont count guys like Irv and Dame out. They're day to day guys and artists need that. He was DEAD on about Jeezy. His own label seems to have abandoned him and he's made them WAY more money and sales than Ross. In retrospect, it's messed up because these are guys who live and bleed our culture and they wont even get another shot or fair shake at being heads of the culture that WE build.

Irv Gotti for Prez.

Sadly....and just based on what some of you may think of my personality from this board....

The fact that he is not PC and has no filter is why he will likely never be President Of Island/Def Jam.

Corporate/Major labels don't go for too many of those kinds of guys. And sadly, they accept it more when it's a caucasian with that personality.

I had the same problem there. I always did what people said was a great job. But I couldn't play the politics. Especially when I was younger. You can't just talk to me however you feel. I don't care who you are. 

Now that I'm older I could handle it better. But it's funny because I have a couple of majors after me now, and I'm like...."I'm good".

Just don't need those headaches. I still can't tap dance too good. HA!

I think Dame and Irv were always better when they worked for themselves and their own movement. Those guys are fighters.

Guys like Jay and LA, while shrewd businessmen, are FAR less confrontational.

Why not give him a chance. How much worse can he make it then it already is.

You aint never lie Phil.

The majors and corporates...they understand how lucrative the culture is..but they leave the rauchiness etc to the artists. Even when Irv had a show, I knew it was a wrap for him. Besides the fact that he was halfway blackballed out the game, I knew certain majors and industry powers don't want to be associated with cats like him who openly have extramarital situations. Its hypocritical because all these industry cats have mistresses and side chicks just off them being men with money and power..

Like Hell, Jay used to sell crack. Cmon. Irv can't get a shot because Feds ran up in 825?

"I get passionate about music. When people say it's just "entertainment", well it's more than that to some of us.
I think the consumer is also to blame for the state of the music for the reason I mentioned above. They don't care about the music or the artists anymore.
They just want a song to sing along to or to vibe out to. They don't demand substance from their music anymore."

I know you were kinda off topic with this Phil,but this @+#* REALLY hit home for me.

Def Jam is the taj mahal of rap and the biggest artists there is Rihanna and Justin Bieber somethings wrong.
I feel what Illphil & Black saying its clear why Irv wont get the job because he isnt sastified with nodding his head and kissing *!#. Shakir wasnt either. They should have gave Shakir that job as soon as Jay said he was leaving. 
I heard even Doug Morris when he ran Universal questioned why is there an R&B artist was running Def Jam.
30t6p3b.gif

You got the label (Def Jam) answering to the Hub (Universal) who answers to Board Members (who play golf and still listen to Frank Sinatra) making decisions about Young Jeezy's budget

The worst thing to happen to rap is that it became popular and profitable fat cats controlling the ears of urban america

This is almost the full interview. I haven't heard anyone talk as passionate about the music business as Irv. He really goes in about half way.

Originally Posted by cartune

Def Jam is the taj mahal of rap and the biggest artists there is Rihanna and Justin Bieber somethings wrong.
I feel what Illphil & Black saying its clear why Irv wont get the job because he isnt sastified with nodding his head and kissing *!#. Shakir wasnt either. They should have gave Shakir that job as soon as Jay said he was leaving. 
I heard even Doug Morris when he ran Universal questioned why is there an R&B artist was running Def Jam.
30t6p3b.gif

You got the label (Def Jam) answering to the Hub (Universal) who answers to Board Members (who play golf and still listen to Frank Sinatra) making decisions about Young Jeezy's budget

The worst thing to happen to rap is that it became popular and profitable fat cats controlling the ears of urban america
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by shortkid23

This is almost the full interview. I haven't heard anyone talk as passionate about the music business as Irv. He really goes in about half way.

LOVE.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom