*Update* Can Irv Gotti save Def Jam? Vol. passion buckets are full!, Vol 2. Joie Manda...who???

If anything Def Jam owes Irv. He brought Jay X and Ja to the label. If more executives cared about the culture like Irv we would start seeing more quality music. I hope Def Jam can be revived.

How can Irv Gotti be the President of Def Jam when he's in the club gettin' tipsy?

mzl.mdwscbvc.jpg

Originally Posted by illphillip

Look at what's happening at WEA. That's where Lyor, Julie and the old Def Jam team are.

Atlantic (The A in WEA) made TI a star after Arista (LA Reid) let him go. They signed Wiz. Lupe.

Warner (The W in WEA) signed Currency, Theophilus, Maybach Music.

They are still committed to the music. And investing in artists. Now, they may never see the light of day if they don't come with records.

But at least they're going for it.

Damn crazy.

I remember my mom having this 4 CD Box set
Beastie-Boys-Def-Jam-Music-Gro-252227-991.jpg

I used to bang all 4 CDs religiously and now looking back thinking all those artists and hits came from one label blows my mind. And to see what it has become (and is becoming) makes me
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by diceloveme

If anything Def Jam owes Irv. He brought Jay X and Ja to the label. If more executives cared about the culture like Irv we would start seeing more quality music. I hope Def Jam can be revived.

Real **%. But in this game it's all about your last hit. Industry folks are quick to forget a debt, much less corporate heads who are out of touch with the culture.Def Jams stock literally rose because of Irv. He worked xlosesly with Ja, Jay and X...between those three, the label could finance itself....then you had Lyor and em trying to meet quotas...that's why X released two albums in one year.Ns can't even A&R anymore but everyone wants to do it. People don't even know the power and responsibility those guys have. They're supposed To be the ears of the label and responsible for bringing talent in. They work hand In hand with the finance dept because Finance ha to approve signings and budget. Cats just wanna be at industry events and smash !%++...cats like Lenny S, Sha $, Shakir were the last of a dying breed.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Originally Posted by diceloveme

Real **%. But in this game it's all about your last hit. Industry folks are quick to forget a debt, much less corporate heads who are out of touch with the culture. Def Jams stock literally rose because of Irv. He worked xlosesly with Ja, Jay and X...between those three, the label could finance itself....then you had Lyor and em trying to meet quotas...that's why X released two albums in one year. Ns can't even A&R anymore but everyone wants to do it. People don't even know the power and responsibility those guys have. They're supposed To be the ears of the label and responsible for bringing talent in. They work hand In hand with the finance dept because Finance ha to approve signings and budget. Cats just wanna be at industry events and smash !%++... cats like Lenny S, Sha $, Shakir were the last of a dying breed.

In today's age of hip hop 99% of the material is about material possessions. Most people could care less about the culture unless they are profiting from it. Really Sad. Well life is a cycle, hopefully we can return to the times when Artist and A&R cared about what was attached to their name and not worried about a "Brand" or quick buck.  As a mid 20's Hip Hop fan its really sad to see what our beloved art form has become.

Speak of the devil...

I just saw a tweet from one of the guys over at DJ who work there in an important dept...dude was talking about NBA 2K12 and how if you're looking for an L it's at the addy for DJ.

Crazy man. Not even lying, I've heard stories of how there was a barbershop in the office.

Dame was disrespecting the +*+* outta them.

I lost count of how many people he told to "Shut The $!+% Up!" ...

& IllPhil I'm definitely gonna shoot you that pm bro

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Truth...

...I can't say I agree with the approach, but I do understand the whole "fight for your artist/our crew is the Roc/it's us vs. "them" feeling.

And after all that, Shawn Corey goes on to become the %#@*!%' president of the same company his right hand man was fightin' tooth and nail against on his behalf?

Same night, same fight - but one of us cats ain't playin' right...

...I'll let you tell it.

I work for Def Jam ... A lot of you guys are hilarious and know JACK S*** about what happens @ a major label, or any label for that matter ... Being blessed w/ the chance to intern here since I was 20 and now being an employee, I've been able to see a lot that goes down, and how things really work ... I have a lot to say, but obviously I can't comment a lot of it on a public forum ... but just know that our new chairman is pushing the company in the right direction

Originally Posted by shortkid23

This is almost the full interview. I haven't heard anyone talk as passionate about the music business as Irv. He really goes in about half way.

LOVE.
pimp.gif

good looks on interview

45 min interview..get some lunch and sit back and get some lunch..its good.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Speak of the devil...

I just saw a tweet from one of the guys over at DJ who work there in an important dept...dude was talking about NBA 2K12 and how if you're looking for an L it's at the addy for DJ.

Crazy man. Not even lying, I've heard stories of how there was a barbershop in the office.
Damn Karsten can you let Sav live lol .... And yes, Chrizo comes through and gives cuts sometimes .... We do not have a "barbershop" in the office

@The Encore who is the the new chairman?

are yall really screwing Jeezy over to get him to resign before he can release the album?

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Truth...

...I can't say I agree with the approach, but I do understand the whole "fight for your artist/our crew is the Roc/it's us vs. "them" feeling.

And after all that, Shawn Corey goes on to become the %#@*!%' president of the same company his right hand man was fightin' tooth and nail against on his behalf?

Same night, same fight - but one of us cats ain't playin' right...

...I'll let you tell it.

As a man I'm not sure I could've kept my cool as a member of that staff

I disagree on who Dame was fighting for though.  It was Jay's last album I think he was fighting for himself more than Jay on some "I've done all this work, 7 albums and here on his 8th and final album y'all are trying to undercut me and take the lead... Nah I'm Not Goin" type steez. I could be wrong but that's how I saw it.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

are yall really screwing Jeezy over to get him to resign before he can release the album?
Our chairman is Barry Weiss ... He replaced Mr. Reid

PS - I don't know if any of you guys know, but we just appointed No I.D. as EVP of A&R
pimp.gif

As far as Jeezy goes ... All i can say is that its not us who are forcing the album to get pushed back 
glasses.gif

Apologies for being so vague, but we had an intern fired because he came on here releasing info about a Nas track, and it trickled right back to us ... So I know people r watching

Cmon A...

It's stuff like that that irritates me man...because it's like i know how it gets...there's downtime and you go to different depts and poly and say hi...but video games? Really?

As far as the direction...

I do agree and like that Sha $ and No ID got hired. Been said that those moves would get Def Jam in a good position....I also think KRIT is gonna be a star and especially with the success of J. Cole and on a lesser scale, Big Sean it does seem that artist development is coming back. Those two know that...

But still....you gotta understand...this is Def Jam. Irv as totally right. I've been at other labels. They dont bleed the culture like Def Jam does. Sony was totally different. Even my friends at Sony arent even in the streets like how I know people at Def Jam are.

Originally Posted by The Encore

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Our chairman is Barry Weiss ... He replaced Mr. Reid
tired.gif

Dude was born into the business through his daddy and he's "well-known" for signing Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, N' Sync and T-Pain. No thanks, Barry Weiss.

Barry-Weiss.jpg

You also forget that he signed ATCQ and Clipse amongst others.

His job intv was him taking the head dude of Jive to clubs and showing him what was hot.

I'm not particularly even against him being head simply because of the fact that Def Jam has historically done well when a white guy who understood the culture was calling the shots. Do the knowledge.

Do not discredit Barry Weiss. He also signed BDP. All of Hieroglyphics. R. Kelly. Aaliyah.

ATCQ and Clipse too.

Dudes job interview was taking his boss to the hottest clubs and showing him whats up....I mean historically Def Jams always done good when a whit e guy who knows the culture was running it anyway...at the expense of making this a race issue.

Jive's roster from an Urban standpoint is second to none. This guy was signing rap records, and credible ones, when most people didn't even care about Rap.

Schooly D
Whodini
UTFO
Kool Moe Dee
D-Nice

Hi-Five!

Keith Murray
E-40
DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince ( I know you tough guys will @*%% on Will, but they had dope records early).

His brother (I think? They definitely related) is Michael Weiss. Owner of Nervous Records. Black Moon, OGC, Mad Lion. Mad ill underground @*%%.

Don't look at these white dudes and just point out the N'Sync and Backstreet without taking the time to investigate exactly what it is you are talking about.

@Encore will we at LEAST see TM103 from jeezy by the end of the year and if u have heard it is it on some classic @@%#??

Back
Top Bottom