*Update* Can Irv Gotti save Def Jam? Vol. passion buckets are full!, Vol 2. Joie Manda...who???

Powers that be over at Def Jam are some %#++ fam.

Sad what they're doing by not doing
30t6p3b.gif

Just seen this dude by my old job about 2 weeks ago cheesin' while drivin' a Phantom...didn't look broke to me.

Man...I love his music...but everytime I learn about Jay...I start wondering how much of a punk this dude is...
30t6p3b.gif

Everyone has their flaws I guess...

This was an incredible interview. 

EDIT:

YO ON THE EXTENDED INTERVIEW...I KNEW THIS WAS TRUE!!! 

WHEN GOTTI AND THEM WERE TRYING TO START A MUSIC UNION THE FEDS KICKED DOWN HIS DOOR!

DAMMIT...I REMEMBER READING THAT A WHILE AGO TOO... 

MAN THEM DUDES ARE SHADDDDDDY
30t6p3b.gif

I THOUGHT IT WAS A CONSPIRACY BUT TO HEAR HIM SAY IT JUST CONFIRMS THIS MESS...MAN...THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST INTERVIEWS ON MUSIC I'VE EVER HEARD.

damn Irv was pretty passionate about Def Jam in that video, sounds like he would fix Def Jam's problems

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Man...I love his music...but everytime I learn about Jay...I start wondering how much of a punk this dude is...
30t6p3b.gif

Everyone has their flaws I guess...

This was an incredible interview. 

The stories about him always make him seem a bit insecure... 
i guess it's a good thing for him though, maybe it's what drives him to be so successful.

Originally Posted by cartune

Def Jam is the taj mahal of rap and the biggest artists there is Rihanna and Justin Bieber somethings wrong.
I feel what Illphil & Black saying its clear why Irv wont get the job because he isnt sastified with nodding his head and kissing *!#. Shakir wasnt either. They should have gave Shakir that job as soon as Jay said he was leaving. 
I heard even Doug Morris when he ran Universal questioned why is there an R&B artist was running Def Jam.
30t6p3b.gif

You got the label (Def Jam) answering to the Hub (Universal) who answers to Board Members (who play golf and still listen to Frank Sinatra) making decisions about Young Jeezy's budget

The worst thing to happen to rap is that it became popular and profitable fat cats controlling the ears of urban america

Realest @@@ you ever said. Everyone felt like Reid was a R&b guy. For Doug Morris to say that is telling...The biggest L Def Jam took was losing Shakir. Dude was Both Ross and Jeezys A&R and thus understood the streets and the story of the artists. no coincidence that under him Jeezy went multi plat. I remember being there when he died, it was like a dark energy in the office sucking the vigor out of everyone. Artists messed with him because by all accounts he was a good standup dude...and close enough to Reid and good enough for him to be groomed for Presidency. And Irv isn't lying. It was only after he died that I can recall him Being called President. Before it was like he was VP of A&R Barry Weiss is cool and all....but Def Jam is THE driving force of the culture. If you were born in the 80s, you grew up on Def Jam music...from Warren G to Redman and Def Squad to Meth to Ja To Jay to X....then you had Cormega who was also on the label and mad other people....There'd be times when I'd be in the office shocked that I was even in that building. It was one of the most surreal experiences in my life. Like People cared they were at Def Jam...we get CDs and go to shows and industry @@@ and mess with *%#+ there and drink open bar...but at the end ofnThe day, you executed and busted your %*% for the pride.Word to me, I swear I was born in the wrong era because Ida done almost anything to have been at Def Jam back then when X and em were bubbling. Kevin as the good cop, Lyor was the bad cop and Julie was like the glue. Its no shock that they all took their expertise to Warner...Lyor eventually is named Chairman of WMG, Julie is President of Atlanic and Kevin was EVP under Lyor...Kevin being a guy who worked from the bottom being an unpaid intern all the way to President in like 10 years. Was there resentment about Julie and Lyor being Jewish running the label who had a stranglehold on the game? Probably...but one thing you can't front on them about was dedication. Lyor went to Long Beach to check out Warren G...he went to Yonkers to check out X....Even at Atlantic, Julie has been known to take the subways instead of using car service because she wanted to show an example of being practical about costs.Cmon b....we don't even have people like that anymore. def Jam doesn't have. That personality anymore from anyone in the executive level. I do like that No iD gotna position and Sha Money...but they need a president who knows the game from the ground up to the executive level....and only Irv Gotti, Dame Dash and Chris Lighty fit the bill...

And for the Feds to do that at that moment then try to get him on money laundering....which then implicated Lyor as his boss...crazy.

At this point I don't even care if Irv and Dame are broke....those guys are cerebral and know the game. Now that they're older and hopefully more mature, I'm sure either of them would do fine executive wise.

Like you got got guys who'd bleed form the culture and we can't even have them up there because some middle American consumers wouldn't know the records they'd put out or some old dude with money out the %#$ doesn't want these wild street guys in the executive board room.

Makes you think sometimes.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Irv Gotti is dead broke.

This guy isn't going to be relevant again.
Funny that you can say that when I'd bet good money he.....

A) Has more money than you now and has made more money than you will see if your life.

B) Is more relevant than you could ever dream to be.

Call it a hunch.

Where ya'll come off saying %+%% like this, I have no idea.

Dipset i dont know you from a can of dirt but from your post per capita rate, im almost 95% percent sure your "dead broke". no shots

Originally Posted by illphillip

Aye fam... I'ma need you to come up off some stories... i know you got a few gems under you brim that you haven't let out... Hell even if its on the one on one convo level. I NEED to hear them.  Like I LOVE hearing boys like him, Jack, & Joe tell stories, it just adds to why I love this culture soooooo much.

Soooo smoke you a spliff, crack you a hieny and holla at me BC I NEED THEM FAM
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

I loved interview, and I just hope Def Jam puts the right person in charge eventually.

listening to the interview now.

but real talk, i dont see a way def jam rising from the ashes. nowadays, up and coming artists are smart enough to put out quality music out themselves for free without any major label help. from there, they can build their fanbases, do thier little shows and all the money goes to them. we seen it done with a couple of mixtape artists already and i see it continuing.

Yea but a lot of those artists eventually connect with a major label. Cudi. Drake. Wiz. At least for distribution.

And Def Jam could be that label. But they aren't doing the deals really.

Look at what's happening at WEA. That's where Lyor, Julie and the old Def Jam team are.

Atlantic (The A in WEA) made TI a star after Arista (LA Reid) let him go. They signed Wiz. Lupe.

Warner (The W in WEA) signed Currency, Theophilus, Maybach Music.

They are still committed to the music. And investing in artists. Now, they may never see the light of day if they don't come with records.

But at least they're going for it.

Yo Cake, anytime man. PM me.

The funny thing is, I forget mad #!#$ until someone or something, sometimes on here, reminds of something from back when.

Sha Money brought the homie Big KRIT in tho...thats one thing they did right!

Btw what exactly is Sha Money's role?

Forgot about KRIT. Good call.

Definitely a step in the right direction.

I think Sha is VP of A+R.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

YO ON THE EXTENDED INTERVIEW...I KNEW THIS WAS TRUE!!! 

WHEN GOTTI AND THEM WERE TRYING TO START A MUSIC UNION THE FEDS KICKED DOWN HIS DOOR!

the rumors were about "black industry insiders creating their own distribution" and being shut down by the govt.

I think this was the first time it was ever cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom