\V/:: \/ /\ :: The Official Neptunes | Pharrell | Chad | N*E*R*D Thread :: \/ /\ :: \V/

EDIT: Rolaholic keeps beating me to tracks...
laugh.gif

I'm trying to get hits out of the way so we can get to the gems...

I guess it's time for my age old NERD tales.....

I worked for Virgin as they were popping. Interacted with the A+R guys that signed them. Still work for one and good friends with the other.

I worked the first album. Some might say I broke them at Radio. I worked Radio in FL. Is there a better state to work a song called "Lapdance"?

And I did surprisingly well with "Rock Star" at Alternative Radio. I have the OG "In Search Of..." somewhere. Before the live band replay.

Have a ton of NERD promo **%% that I'll post when I dig it up. Hung out with Kelis. We got along great. I luh'd her way before Nas.

These dudes had SUCH a ridiculous run from late 90's into 2k.

This is a personal fave. Because NERD was on Virgin, and the same guy who signed them to Virgin managened Beenie Man, who he also signed to Virgin, they wound up doing a few joints with Beenie.

And of course...

Grabbed some quick stuff. A bunch of folders we used for promo.

I have some NERD skatedecks I need to dig up. Still trying to get them signed but I'll only do it if I get P and Chad and the last few times, I've only had access to P.

I actually have an NERD beachball! I need to find that *%$% too.

2rwm04k.jpg

154zp6p.jpg

I've watched this video probably 50+ times since it's been on YouTube:

Top 25 Neps beat, EASY.

What idiot thinks Tyler did "Strung Out" ?�
laugh.gif

You can see the huge Neptunes influence in Tyler's production with the chord progressions, bridges, etc.

Here's a slept on Mary J. joint that should have been a single.

We made a bunch of these. They were an "official" Promo item. But really they were just an iron-on, of which I had like 200, on a yellow trucker.
fan5l2.jpg

This is a long sleeve Promo T. I'm mad I have this in an XL. Back when I used to wear my %+$% STUPID big. Rocked it religiously with a pair of Goldenrod Dunks.

FRONT
beykno.jpg

BACK
s2tspd.jpg

I'd still be rocking this if I had it in a size that fit.

While they had done "Rumpshaker" on some ghost production tip, and the SWV !@%+....

It was really "Superthug" that put them on the map. That record was ENORMOUS, especially in NY, where most of the Urban A+R guys worked.

That's what got them the ill string of production/remixes, got them and Kelis their deal at Virgin.

I'm mad I never got a plaque for "In Search Of...". That album went GOLD after I had already left Virgin and they didn't do many for staff. Just a few here and there for Star Trak and some VIP's.

Same with Gorillaz. HEATED I don't have plaques for those 2 albums. I put in WORK on both.

Shout out to Colin Stanback and Patrick Moxey for signing them. And to their manager Rob Walker, who was a cool @++%%%$!@!%!, despite being an enormous pain in the %++.

Back
Top Bottom