\V/:: \/ /\ :: The Official Neptunes | Pharrell | Chad | N*E*R*D Thread :: \/ /\ :: \V/

lol Yeah thats actually how I even know of Tyler he's been a member on a neptunes forum that I've been on since 05. He would always post links to his myspace, and post beats etc. I remember when he posted the cover art for BASTARD and everybody was like  
eek.gif

sick.gif
 WTH??
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by illphillip

I worked the first album. Some might say I broke them at Radio. I worked Radio in FL. Is there a better state to work a song called "Lapdance"?

Yo how hard of a record was that to break?
There was nothing "urban" that sounded similar to that song at the time - as classic as it is today, I can't imagine that was an easy sell...

...how'd you do that $!%%?

Originally Posted by caleekicks

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

eek.gif

I totally forgot about this track. This was from wanderland right?
it was left off wanderland. supposedly, its on the austrailian cd as a bonus track. i had to rip this song onto my iTunes, i got sick of the version i had with the AIM sounds in the backround
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by illphillip

I worked the first album. Some might say I broke them at Radio. I worked Radio in FL. Is there a better state to work a song called "Lapdance"?

Yo how hard of a record was that to break?
There was nothing "urban" that sounded similar to that song at the time - as classic as it is today, I can't imagine that was an easy sell...

...how'd you do that $!%%?

Appreciate it Cage.

I am a born fighter. In many respects. I fight to WIN.

And I might be pretty good at what I do. I have a song that I am the only person working right now that is Top 25 Pop, Top 30 Rhythm and Top 30 overall on Itunes.

smile.gif

Lapdance was a pretty easy sell at Rhythm Radio. Again. I was working Florida, which is probably 2nd to Atlanta as the strip club capitol of the world.

Now Rock Star....this was tough. Because when I worked Lapdance, it was the OG version. Before the replay.

Rock Star was after the re-record. So it was being worked to Alternative Radio, Alternative Radio in FL rocked HARD. This is back when Staind and Disturbed + $%$+ like that was poppin'.

But working Radio is a lot about relationships. It's really NOT about Payola like people think. If the guys that run radio LIKE you, they look out for you.

And while I was this young, urban PR cat working these white dudes in FL, we got along GREAT. Alt Rock dudes like girls, drink beer, smoke weed, kind of dig some Hip Hop. They cool white boys.

More than anything, my radio guys respect me and my opinion on music. I'm not one of these shuck and jive Promo guys. I work my records intelligently.

So Pharell was already on top of the world musically. All the ill remixes were dropping. Pass The Courvoisier n' whatnot. And I started with that. "Yo, this guy is *%+@!+# massive. Your audience knows who he is".

They weren't buying it. They basically said the record was "too Urban. Too Hip Hop. Too Rap." Really?

Because you're playing P.O.D. You're playing Linkin' Park. You're playing Limp Bizkit. These guys were HUGE at the time. At they rapped WAY more than Pharrell on Rock Star.

And I basically told guys that were friends of mine that I thought they were being racist. HA!

But that rap/rock hybrid was already massive. And NERD was just the next evolution. So I got one station to put it in. It blew up. Took that to another station. It blew up and kept it moving.

The video really helped. Rock Star broke at Rock Radio out of Florida and that's on me. Stations that no one EVER imagined would play it were the ones who got it going.

Loved P and the Neptunes and was honored to work them. And it showed in how I delivered it.

Love Kelis. She showed me her tattoos! Chad thought I was Fillipino! I'm Rican. Pharrell. Cool dude. Kind of high maintenence though. His bodyguard Big Ben is pretty cool.

I was very passionate about the project. Understood the music. Understood the current climate of music. Which is also why I'm doing well now. I know you all don't *+%! with that $%$+, but some will tell you I'm the reason Dance music is popping so hard at Radio right now. Sorry. HA!

Keep the thread alive. I'll dig up and post more $%$+.

Only N.E.R.D record I ever really liked or love is In Search Of... Not the Spymob version, but the original studio one. That album is nothing short of amazing. Everything they put after that has been so or so.

These dudes are just incredible on how they put together a song. One of my fave beats from them is a lowkey song from 702 called STAR feat Clipse.  Peep the making of:

Back
Top Bottom