• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i'm  looking to get a cell phone (haven't gotten one yet, and i'm 20 if that matters...) what's the best phone for beginners 

looking to pay between $25-$40 a month for my contract or whatever

...and if there is a cellphone thread somewhere, please link me to it...thanks in advance

How much do you want to pay for the actuall phone?

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING THIS

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Google does not wanna deal with CDMA. CDMA is too much trouble, Galaxy Nexus on Sprint/Verzion proved that. If not for the Verizon/Sprint CDMA would be dead and gone.

It was really clear that there will be no more CDMA nexus devices when their are not Google Play CDMA devices.

I wouldn't count out a verizon nexus device. The nexus 5 is supposed to couple the nexus 7 and 10. If this is true, you can pretty much bet on it coming to Verizon

what else more could samsung have done?

[COLOR=#red]Obviously give him a reach-around function built in.

Been telling y'all for the longest that cellphones have pretty much reached critical mass as far as innovation. The only thing really left to improve on is battery technology...until then it's just gonna be incremental upgrades from ALL the manufacturers.

Can't wait till dudes start expecting 4k resolution screens on 5" devices :lol:[/COLOR]

what else more could samsung have done?

[COLOR=#red]Obviously give him a reach-around function built in.

Been telling y'all for the longest that cellphones have pretty much reached critical mass as far as innovation. The only thing really left to improve on is battery technology...until then it's just gonna be incremental upgrades from ALL the manufacturers.

Can't wait till dudes start expecting 4k resolution screens on 5" devices :lol:[/COLOR]
Yup now it's a good time because companies to invent new things

Note 3 really didnt wow me either.  I like some of the features but Samsung is seriously lacking in the design department.  And dont get me wrong, to those who dont have a Note 2 and are looking to get into that category, this will be THE PHONE.  But its not really a big enough upgrade for Note 2 users in my opinion(then again I felt the same way when I had my Note 1, then after time I had to cop the 2 lol).  This is kinda the same situation as the S3 -> S4 upgrade. 

Personally, I'm leaning more toward the One Maxx as my next device when I decide to move on to my next device, depending on what HTC shows me of course.  (I still love my Note 2 but i get bored with phones easily 
mean.gif
)

Waiting for the onslaught of N3 reviews in the coming weeks before judgements are made

yall think the nexus 5 is gonna come on verizon?

Google does not wanna deal with CDMA. CDMA is too much trouble, Galaxy Nexus on Sprint/Verzion proved that. If not for the Verizon/Sprint CDMA would be dead and gone.

It was really clear that there will be no more CDMA nexus devices when their are not Google Play CDMA devices.

This. Chances of VZW seeing a Nexus phone is slim to none.

I wouldn't count out a verizon nexus device. The nexus 5 is supposed to couple the nexus 7 and 10. If this is true, you can pretty much bet on it coming to Verizon

what does the nexus 5 coupling the nexus 7 & 10 have to do with verzion?

Note 3 is definitely copped. Tired of my S3. Release date?

September 25th for international version.
October for US release.

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red][/COLOR]With all the news coming from its big event yesterday, Samsung glazed over the importance of one new feature of its Galaxy Note 3 — it's the first phone we know of that that uses USB 3.0. The benefits of the switch to the more modern standard are two-fold. The obvious plus for USB 3.0 is that it offers far faster data rates, potentially increasing the speed of transferring music, videos, and photos to and from your phone. "Potential" is an important word here: the speeds you'll actually achieve will depend on the quality of the storage Samsung has included in the Galaxy Note 3.

Another less obvious benefit is you'll be able to charge your phone directly from your PC or Mac much faster (assuming you have a USB 3.0-enabled device). USB 2.0 ports generally provide up to 500mA current, while USB 3.0 is 80 percent faster at 900mA, making plugging your phone into your laptop more akin to connecting it to a wall charger.

The nexus tablets are currently available with LTE on verizon. The way they are headed. It looks like they are trying to create a "family" of Nexus jut like there is a galaxy family.

Sure, the last year has told us that there might not ever be a Nexus Phone on VZW again, but Google and LG knows how much money they could have made with the Nexus 4 if they brought it to Verizon. Plus, it's not that far fetched considering the Google Flagship phone (Moto X) is n Verizon right now along with the LG Flagship

Last edited:

The nexus tablets are currently available with LTE on verizon. The way they are headed. It looks like they are trying to create a "family" of Nexus jut like there is a galaxy family.

Sure, the last year has told us that there might not ever be a Nexus Phone on VZW again, but Google and LG knows how much money they could have made with the Nexus 4 if they brought it to Verizon. Plus, it's not that far fetched considering the Google Flagship phone (Moto X) is n Verizon right now along with the LG Flagship
“OMG, that means the next Nexus will work on Verizon!” Not so fast. While this single LTE chip is something to get excited about, this doesn’t mean that the next Nexus will work on Verizon’s network. Keep in mind that tablets can do this neat little unlocked LTE trick because they are using data only. If you want a phone to work on Verizon’s network – at this time – you need it to connect to their 3G CDMA network as well, to you know, make calls. And since CDMA networks are about as locked down as you’ll find, with all power to the carriers, we’re still in the same position we have been since the Galaxy Nexus LTE. Now, once Verizon opens up Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE), then things could change. And since they are planning to start their VoLTE service next year, there is always a chance that we’ll see someone take a stab at an LTE-only phone when that happens.

link

The fact that the moto x is available on all carriers means that they have less of a reason to be bothered with verizon/sprint's ******** with the nexus 5 imo. Remember the nexus devices are niche products and google doesn't seem to have a problem with that. Just don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:
link

The fact that the moto x is available on all carriers means that they have less of a reason to be bothered with verizon/sprint's ******** with the nexus 5 imo. Remember the nexus devices are niche products and google doesn't seem to have a problem with that. Just don't get your hopes up.

I feel you brother. I just got a feeling that they will drop it Galaxy Nexus style. I wanna stay with Android but the Nexus 5 is the only phone that HS caught my interest. If it doesn't drop on VZW, might have to go with an iPhone

TBH I hope Google keeps the nexus line out of CDMA carriers, sprint did a horrible job with updates to my nexus S 4G and I'm sure vZW wasn't any better with the galaxy nexus. Hopefully I'll be able to cop day one and leave CDMA phones behind.

Lol y'all do know the nexus devices aren't about making huge profits right? Vzw 90 percent ain't getting one until VoLTE is rolled up and that's a MAYBE

TBH I hope Google keeps the nexus line out of CDMA carriers, sprint did a horrible job with updates to my nexus S 4G and I'm sure vZW wasn't any better with the galaxy nexus. Hopefully I'll be able to cop day one and leave CDMA phones behind.

Carriers have little incentive to keep your device updated. They want you buying a new phone.

Root and install a custom ROM on the phone?

Then you don't need to rely on a carrier to approve an OS update from one carrier to another. I didn't know this many people, especially that are more than likely younger and more tech-savy than the average customer & active online in forums, wouldn't root their phones. I have been doing it since the OG Droid on VZW.

Back
Top Bottom