• Straight Talk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nexus 5 2015 possibly?

GOOGLE PLS! Instacop if so.

The Moto 360 is now $150 straight from the Motorola website. Finally get to put the gold face on a leather band and not pay $300 for it.

9f2f8b19017ed24a2f813891afc84db682668643.png

Really tempted to just do this man. 

That's pretty dope :nerd:

Still unsure what about owning a smart watch tho.

Last edited:
That's pretty dope :nerd:

If you're used to traditional watches it can be a tough adjustment.

I ended up taking my Moto 360 back. At the time the battery life was terrible (approx. 8-9 hrs,) the weight difference is dramatic, and it wasn't of much use for me because my phone is out on my desk 90% of the time anyways.

Its definitely a cool idea but not compelling for people like me.

That's pretty dope
nerd.gif

If you're used to traditional watches it can be a tough adjustment.

I ended up taking my Moto 360 back. At the time the battery life was terrible (approx. 8-9 hrs,) the weight difference is dramatic, and it wasn't of much use for me because my phone is out on my desk 90% of the time anyways.

Its definitely a cool idea but not compelling for people like me.
Yeah see I'm not even supposed to have my phone out at my desk, and while I wouldnt be able to respond to things like GroupMe, I could always see my texts or even switch GroupMe to text mode. Push Bullet used to be my solution for that, but the notifications only stay mute for an hour and too many times someone has been at my desk while that timer goes off an they see messages flying across the screen.

I dont even own a watch as it stands now, could kill two birds. I hope the new Moto 360 doesnt come too soon cause I'm still on the fence about this and I know they'll discontinue it, and I'm not paying $300 for a smart watch.

Now on Tap is :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Google photos is fantastic. i think the apple photos app x google photos cloud is a great combo. already liked what google was doing with photos, this is a big step in the right direction.

google's battery doze...meh. seems like a good idea, problem is really on the hardware imo. i think more manufacturers should really take the timeout to minimize PCB real estate and maximize battery size so to have the highest mAh they can fit...plus software optimization. that will go further imo.

CM12.1 nightlies...couple things. i've been using it long enough to say the battery life isn't as good as touchwiz. standby is still great, and i can easily get 1.5 days on this with moderate usage, but i do notice a slightly higher consumption rate. hard to notice tho.

google camera doesn't play nice. crashes a lot. touchwiz camera was optimized for this camera so obviously google camera is barely taking full advantage of the hardware.

performance is top notch. no lag. and notifications still is :pimp: on stock.

still a few bugs. one where i can't swipe to answer a phone call, or unlock screen, stemming from not registering touch at all. happens rarely tho.

all other apps work fine. idk of any other stock ROMs for note 4 :nerd:

Last edited:
$150 would be my threshold for buying a smart watch. $300 is simply too high for a novelty item.

That new photos app on 5.1.1 is clean. Just got it today

Now on Tap is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Google photos is fantastic. i think the apple photos app x google photos cloud is a great combo. already liked what google was doing with photos, this is a big step in the right direction.

google's battery doze...meh. seems like a good idea, problem is really on the hardware imo. i think more manufacturers should really take the timeout to minimize PCB real estate and maximize battery size so to have the highest mAh they can fit...plus software optimization. that will go further imo.

CM12.1 nightlies...couple things. i've been using it long enough to say the battery life isn't as good as touchwiz. standby is still great, and i can easily get 1.5 days on this with moderate usage, but i do notice a slightly higher consumption rate. hard to notice tho.

google camera doesn't play nice. crashes a lot. touchwiz camera was optimized for this camera so obviously google camera is barely taking full advantage of the hardware.

performance is top notch. no lag. and notifications still is
pimp.gif
on stock.

still a few bugs. one where i can't swipe to answer a phone call, or unlock screen, stemming from not registering touch at all. happens rarely tho.

all other apps work fine. idk of any other stock ROMs for note 4
nerd.gif
What kind of SOT do you get?

I still prefer Google Maps for mostly everything but I do use Waze when there ridiculous traffic or weather. Google does the same I just like how Wave's operates at the time I need it.

[COLOR=#red]Yeah that's basically how I feel about Waze versus Googlemaps. And yes Gabe mentioned Google owns Waze, I knew that for sometime. But the level of granularity for specific situations cannot be matched as far as a plus for Waze. For everything else I use Googlemaps.[/COLOR]

If your phone supports it, try out Google Spotlight Stories. It's a collection of 3d stories that were originally on the Moto x. They're all really good. I'm partial to Duet and Help.

Now on Tap is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

it has a nice, new look to it and makes it easier to manage photos without being tied down to google+

the previous image editor, which was basically snapseed built in is now gone though - really big negative for me. the new image editor is garbage

I was at 7/11 grabbing a delightful brisk iced tea and this dude next to me grabs a drink and starts walking to the counter and then said "damnnnn that's salty" and i asked what happened and he said his watch disconnected from his phone 
roll.gif

I'm running M. Very smooth so far.

Oddly, Google didn't announce Multi-Window support yesterday. It's indeed there now. It has to be activated via ADB, but it's there.

I still prefer Google Maps for mostly everything but I do use Waze when there ridiculous traffic or weather. Google does the same I just like how Wave's operates at the time I need it.

[COLOR=#red]Yeah that's basically how I feel about Waze versus Googlemaps. And yes Gabe mentioned Google owns Waze, I knew that for sometime. But the level of granularity for specific situations cannot be matched as far as a plus for Waze. For everything else I use Googlemaps.[/COLOR]

i thought there would be complete integration with waze and google maps. didn't think it would continue as a standalone app. i hear waze is the love with those speed traps...and i need that since my car wants to go fast (wrx) and i drive past interstate storm troopers all the time..

Now on Tap is :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

performance is top notch. no lag. and notifications still is :pimp: on stock.

all other apps work fine. idk of any other stock ROMs for note 4 :nerd:
What kind of SOT do you get?

under 3..like 2.5 at best? but my phone has gone 2 days without needed to be charged on 12.1. im not one of those on the phone every 5 min dudes, nor do i need it for work anymore.

it seems that the nexus 6 is a better option for stock android since its optimized for such. and it seems cyanogen is the only stock android option for note 4 which is fine with me, occasional bug aside.

anyone getting 2 days of battery with nexus 6?

stock android is dead opinion from phone arena..

Stock Android is dead
Posted: 29 May 2015, 04:00, by Victor H.Tags: Android+ Editorials+
Stock Android is dead

Android M has arrived with a fancy unveiling yesterday: the crowd of developers at the Moscone Center in San Francisco witnessed impressive new features, improvements to app permissions, web experience, app links, mobile payments, fingerprint support, and power and charging. Awesome, right?

Wrong.

Most of what we saw at the unveiling will eventually make its way to future (and some current) Android phones, but not really in the way that Google itself envisioned it. The fact is that in reality, Google's vision for Android M doesn't matter. And that is because Android M, in its pure form, will never make it to the most popular devices running on this platform - the Galaxies, Ones, and Gs of the world. And while most of M's key improvements will still eventually come to these phones, this is guaranteed to happen much later than the Q3 2015 timeline that Google has set.
STOCK ANDROID IS DEAD

It's time for a reality check: how many smartphones you know of that are running on stock Android, the way Google intended Android to look on phones?

We can tell you the answer right away: one, the Nexus 6. And would you really use a gigantic 6-inch device that doesn't even fit in your pocket? Our polls say that most people would use a phone with a screen of a size between 4.5” and 5.7”, and that's the sweet spot for an overwhelming majority of users. How many such phones with stock Android do you know of? Exactly: zero.
STOCK ANDROID NEEDS ITS ‘IPHONE’, AND THAT’S NOT A GALAXY PHONE

To be fair, there used to be such a phone: the Nexus 5, a 5-inch phone that Google introduced way back in late 2013, almost a year and a half ago, and that is now discontinued. The Nexus 5 was in many ways a dream phone: sold for half the price of a flagship, it featured an excellent, well-calibrated display, pure, fast Android with instant updates, a good (but not great) camera, the convenience of wireless charging, and it was equally appealing to regular folks and developers (it was practically unbrickable). We sincerely hope that Google makes a similar phone this year.

Looking at the larger picture of the world, there are a few arguments to be made about stock Android. Those with knowledge of the platform will be quick to say that there are some phones that run Android in a near-stock version: the Moto X (2014 edition), the Sony Xperia Z series, and so on, but the problem is that close enough is often too different to count. Key features are missing, and the one that is missing sorely is the speed of operation of Nexus devices.

The Galaxy Note 4 can be quite laggy, especially after sitting idle for a while
The Galaxy Note 4 can be quite laggy, especially after sitting idle for a while
In 2015, lag is still an issue on Android top-tier devices: the Samsung Galaxy S6 stutters, the Galaxy Note 4 is even worse, and the issue plagues an overwhelming majority of phones. Compare real-world performance of those non-stock Android devices with the 2013 Nexus 5 and you’d be surprised how the older phone runs much smoother, faster, better.

It's not just lag, though, it's a whole lot more. Devices from leading brands come with an interface that is not a slight change over stock Android: it's a complete overhaul with different icons, different apps, different animations, different style, no app drawer. It's so different that unless you are a techie you'd have a hard time recognizing that it is actually Android that phone is running, and the change has been so profound that some custom ROM makers like Cyanogen are challenging Google itself and trying to make a Google-less Android.

Then, you have Android One, Google's attempt to bring stock Android with timely, guaranteed updates for two years to devices in emerging markets. Android One devices, however, are not a true solution to the larger issue of not having a great stock Android experience: after all, Android One devices are affordable devices good in their own right, but not on par with flagship-grade devices, as their low price forces quite a few compromises.

What we're getting to is admitting a simple fact: stock Android, the version that Google spends billions working on and polishing to perfection, the best Android out there, is not available on a great no-compromise phone that most people would want to use at the moment.

Without a Nexus 5 of sorts, stock Android and Android M is just an idealistic idea with no material presence. And this has to change.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Stock-Android-is-dead_id69838

Back
Top Bottom