• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Google's Ground Rules For Android 6.0's Permission System Won't Let OEMs Easily Grant Permissions To Pre-Installed Apps (Read: Especially Bloatware)

From its announcement at Google I/O to today, we keep uncovering new information and subtle details regarding the new permission system in Android 6.0. What we weren't able to know, however, was how OEMs were going to treat (or be forced to treat) this new feature. Would they be able to remove it completely? Circumvent it for their own apps? Could they abuse it to grant permissions to bloatware? Well, we now have our answers thanks to the updated Marshmallow Compatibility Definition Document.

In it, Google explains that apps that target API level 23 will have to request permissions to access certain protected features. OEMs won't be able to avoid this, they will need to have dialogue windows for permission requests (ie the pop-ups) and a central location to manage all permissions (as in the Settings). These are non-negotiable (MUST) requirements.

More important however, is the fact that OEMs won't be able to (MUST NOT) grant permissions to pre-installed apps. There are two exceptions here. The first treats these like any other app, requiring them to ask for permissions before doing anything substantial. The second is when these apps are standard replacements for default ones, like the phone, camera, contacts app, etc.

Essentially, this means that an OEM like Samsung or LG could still replace the dialer and the camera and grant them the right to actually do their job without pestering users with requests when they first launch them. However, they won't be able to install other apps and grant them all the permissions without asking for them. If Asus and HP and other OEMs want to include a ton of bloatware with their devices to offset their price, and make it non-removable to worsen the situation, you will still have control over whether that bloatware actually does anything substantial in the background and without your knowledge or if it stays there castrated and harmless.

Here is the text from the CDD:

9.1 Permissions

Permissions with a protection level of dangerous are runtime permissions. Applications with targetSdkVersion > 22 request them at runtime. Device implementations:

MUST show a dedicated interface for the user to decide whether to grant the requested runtime permissions and also provide an interface for the user to manage runtime permissions.
MUST have one and only one implementation of both user interfaces.
MUST NOT grant any runtime permissions to preinstalled apps unless: the user's consent can be obtained before the application uses it or the runtime permissions are associated with an intent pattern for which the preinstalled application is set as the default handler.
I'm happy about this. It will definitely help a little with the crappy pre-installed anti-viruses, scanners, and whatnots that keep scouring your storage and grabbing whatever information they find to do God knows what with it.

Source: Android 6.0 Compatibility Definition Document (PDF)

I really like it so far. It's the "sweet spot" for me.

Do you have the 6p also coming in? Do you think that phone will be too big in size compared to the 5x? just curious cause I've never had a phone bigger than 5" and am considering the 6P after I get my $$ together in a few months. That size kind of has me iffy on it though

Honestly, even the 5" M8 is big for my taste. I have a feeling I'll "just deal with it" with the 6P. I'm a one-handed Swyper and have a feeling I won't be able to do that anymore.

I really like it so far. It's the "sweet spot" for me.

Do you have the 6p also coming in? Do you think that phone will be too big in size compared to the 5x? just curious cause I've never had a phone bigger than 5" and am considering the 6P after I get my $$ together in a few months. That size kind of has me iffy on it though

I have a Nexus 6, the 6P will be fine. I am not worried. It is nice to be on a smaller device for the time being though.

I have a Nexus 6, the 6P will be fine. I am not worried. It is nice to be on a smaller device for the time being though.

gotcha. can't wait to hear your reviews on both. I just wish I could see the 6p in person before I possibly buy it. Makes it tough to put up $500+tax without knowing how the device feels/fits in your hand and even if I wanted to sell on craigslist or w/e I would lose some $$.

Last edited:
Just pre order a 32gb 6p. They seem to be all out of 64gb , will be returning my current phone

Seeing some pre-orders for the Z5 Premium today for a 1st week of November release. Interesting...

$899 price tag....will wait til end of November early December and see if prices drop. Seeing that the Z5 dropped about $100 in the first few weeks after releasing.

Last edited:
If you sell your phones a lot, for the extra $50, you might as well go 64GB. Most people don't need 128GB, but plenty of people need 64GB (I'm not one of them).

I appreciate the advice! Repped.

I'm one of those people who can live very well at 32GB but I'm honestly I'm really wanting that 128 just so I can put plenty of movies and pictures on my phone. and depending on the volume of Spotify (my iPhone 5 has much louder audio output than all of the androids I've tried) I may try to sell my 5 and hold all my songs on that 6P

Agreed, I'm thinking the same thing. I might want to take advantage of local storage. I'm currently streaming or downloading everything.

not sure if it's the same for the 6p but a dude on reddit had bought a 32gb 5x last Friday and said less than 25gb of storage was available.

Thanks for the heads up! Repped.

I originally went with a 32GB in graphite, but changed my mind to the white which forced me to go up to the 64GB. After thinking about it for a bit, it's "only" $50 for the peace of mind. I'm already somewhat low on space with my 32GB M8, but now that I might have a phone that takes decent pics and vids, I'm gonna be utilizing a lot more HD space.

Sounds like everyone agrees to go with larger storage space. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

How's the edge of the screen on the sides, where the glass meets the plastic? Is it kinda sharp like the og Nexus 5 or is it more rounded off?

That was the only thing I didn't like about it; how it was a little annoying when swiping.

eyes.gif
Looks like my iPhone 
alien.gif

I guess HTC doesnt like making a profit  

How's the edge of the screen on the sides, where the glass meets the plastic? Is it kinda sharp like the og Nexus 5 or is it more rounded off?

That was the only thing I didn't like about it; how it was a little annoying when swiping.

I don't have a 5 next to me, but I think it's nearly identical.

HTC gave up. They are trying to sell an overpriced mid-range devices on the fact that it's bootloader is unlocked and will get timely updates. That phone is a terrible option for anyone. Why would you go with that over the OPO, Moto X Pure or Nexus 5X? It doesn't do anything better than any of those.

Last edited:
I hope Josh is all types of wrong. Using fast charging still taking 2.5 to 3 hours to fully charge 
indifferent.gif
.. about 3 hours SOT 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Will wait for everyone else's full review.. but I'd be feeling some type of way if I had one on the way 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Dude has a defective unit. Everyone is saying a little bit over a hour to fully charged and at least 6 hours of sot

I hope Josh is all types of wrong. Using fast charging still taking 2.5 to 3 hours to fully charge :stoneface: .. about 3 hours SOT :stoneface: :stoneface:

Will wait for everyone else's full review.. but I'd be feeling some type of way if I had one on the way :lol:  

Dude has a defective unit. Everyone is saying a little bit over a hour to fully charged and at least 6 hours of sot

Yea I've read a few reviews that took about an hour to fully charge. Has to be a defective charging brick/cable or the phone itself.

Take it fwiw, from reading reviews, the 5X has some performance issues. Some lag and not as snappy as it should be

Back
Top Bottom