• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you browse the web, navigate, pay for stuff, call and text message from a washing machine though?

:lol:

In the end you can talk yourself out of it by justifying the price as the equivalent of many other things but in the end its still 800, whether its a phone or a washer/dryer

Unless its something you know you iant gonna be using hardly ever

I remember paying 675 retail for the s7 on release day and thinking that was OD for a phone. But I use the phone everyday and I love my phone a year later and can't live without it. For me personally it was worth it despite the hefty price tag.

switching from my iPhone 6s to the galaxy s8 when it comes out. 
pimp.gif

that phone looks futuristic b. i just wish they upgraded the camera more

Man I just got the G6

@KingFoamNYC can I jump to the S8 even though I justgot the G6 a few days ago?

U can jump to the S8 if half of your device is paid off, if it's under 14 days I would just bring it back cause I'd your well qualified I'm quite sure you have at least a couple hundred bucks to put on the G6 to qualify for the jump upgrade.

switching from my iPhone 6s to the galaxy s8 when it comes out. :pimp:
that phone looks futuristic b. i just wish they upgraded the camera more

We won't know about the camera until the reviews come out.

Software > hardware

Pixel is king because the software takes full advantage of the optics and I'm quite sure the sensor the Pixel uses is the same 12mp Sony sensor that everyone uses.

Last edited:
OK, long story here that I hope some of the more savvy Android and/or VZW peeps could help me out with, if possible. Any ideas on what could have caused this, or how I might be able to work around the current situation would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any ideas how my phone reverted to Korea Telecom as it's svc provider, and thoughts on how I might be able to change it back????

So my US-VZW stock S7 Edge updated to 7.0 over the weekend. OTA wouldn't install so I had to do it using VZW's stupid software assistant tool. Anyway, the update sticks and I'm pretty happy with Nougat. Then yesterday at lunchtime I get a push to update it again (noticed it had a dif baseband version - went from -QA2 to -QA4). I give it a shot OTA, and lost my network connectivity - couldn't make/receive calls, check VM or send/receive SMS/MMS. In fact, my service provider was listed as "KT Twophone Service"... Korea Telecom. I'm in Massachusetts, btw. Weirdly, though, I still had network data access. So all afternoon I couldn't get it to find any local US carrier network signal and there was no option to even search for one. Just KT.

Couldn't install the update OTA or w/ the VZW Assistant, so I called VZW support. Turns out my university's plan with them won't allow them to provide comprehensive support, but we tried network reset, settings reset, unseating & reseating the SIM, etc. Nothing worked. After about 90 mins with them (vey good peeps in Maryland) we agreed there wasn't anything more we could do, and I'd probably need a new phone (covered by warranty). Then 10 mins later my signal magically re-appeared and I received an influx of messages/VMs.

Then this AM I start up the SiriusXM app as I'm leaving or work & turn off my wi-fi (like I do every AM) and the phone literally screamed at me for about 5 seconds and then restarted. No more signal. 
mean.gif
 So all day goes by and by now both my laptop & desktop can't recognize my phone when I connect via USB - neither VZW assistant nor Android FT find the phone when I select File Transfer under USB options, even after setting USB debug under Dev tools.  So I take it to network svcs at the school and they tried swapping out the SIM for me to see if that was the issue. No dice. They order the replacement phone and send me on my way. I get home and at 5:30 I suddenly, once again, get service again. Bunch more msgs & VMs to check, and stupid, stoopid me thinks I should use this chance to try to re-DL the OTA. Dumb idea. There goes the network again. Wifi & mobile data still both worked fine, though. So, I decide "all right, one last thing to try as a last ditch attempt to get svc, I'll back everything up and factory reset."

Backup went fine, but here's how I end up with a useless hunk of $600 nothing -- I successfully complete the factory reset but on startup I still don't have network connectivity. And my gatdam Google acct, which I need to verify in step 2 of the re-initialization of the phone, has 2-step authentication, step #2 of which is.... via text message code. Well, with no svc, I can't get the authentication code they send to my phone, and I hadn't ever activated the web version of VZW Message +. So I try to turn off 2-step in my Google acct and you know wha I need to do in order to do that? Receive a code via text. Son of a *****..... And Google's "alternative method" for receiving the code takes THREE TO FIVE BUSINESS DAYS. W...T...F...

So, I went from having a great phone, to a phone that I could at least use for everything but calling & texting, to an absolutely useless phone unless I can get Google to undo my 2-step auth.

Hopefully Google gets back to me quickly, my new phone shows up ASAP or I can get a loaner tomorrow, because I got Royals raffles I need to be ready to get calls for, dammit!!!

Anyway, any thoughts on what might have janked up the network settings? I haven't seen any similar stories anywhere of a US phone reverting to a Korean service provider, which I'd imagine was used during QC to ensure the antenna worked when it rolled off the assembly line. I'd imagine the antenna still works because I was still getting 4G data transfers when I turned off my wifi. Maybe the sim connections went bad? I should mention the phone didn't have any physical or water damage, btw. It was sitting on my desk yesterday at 11:30 when I received a call, and an hour later the push notification of the update came through. I think when the update didn't take that first time the phone reverted the svc provider, but it didn't seem to change anything else or cause any other issues that I was able to see.

Thanks for any insight, all!

Sounds like Kim Jong Un reached out and touched you. I know it does sound weird, but I can forsee a hack, why, only you would know though.

Sounds like Kim Jong Un reached out and touched you. I know it does sound weird, but I can forsee a hack, why, only you would know though.
laugh.gif
 that was the very first thing the guys in my office said, too.

Don't think it was a hack, tho, as the software update version is what's available in "System Update" under settings, and the phone was fine til yesterday's update failed

Last edited:
Duno why you guys are arguing about the price of the S8 like it's outrageous. And you can always get it on Swappa for cheaper than retail. I got my S7 Edge on launch month for $625 shipped with a 64GB microSD card. And it's practically paid for itself with all of the Samsung Pay promos I've gotten over the past year.

If anything, throw shade at HTC for the U Ultra.

We won't know about the camera until the reviews come out.

Software > hardware

Pixel is king because the software takes full advantage of the optics and I'm quite sure the sensor the Pixel uses is the same 12mp Sony sensor that everyone uses.

[COLOR=#red]I have a 7 Plus for my personal phones ( broads love FaceTime and iMessage :lol:), and a Pixel for my business phone (file manager and handling attachments are much better), and yes I agree. My Pixel cannot hold Samsung's jock hardware wise by any means...heck it's still not even water resistant, but the user experience is so clean and smooth and uncluttered. Now I see what Nexus heads been saying this whole time.

To be honest the Galaxy S8 is already behind from the start...it's shipping with Nougat 7.0 while the Pixel is already updated to 7.1...and you know how long Samsung takes to update their OS skin.

And if we talking cameras...gatdam that Pixel camera is hands down the best camera I've ever had on any smartphone. It's so real that I take pics with it then upload it to my MS OneDrive account and then pull it down on my iPhone from OneDrive and save it to my camera roll. **** is straight Plantains.

I now have mixed feelings about the S8. I think I'll wait to cop the new Note and new iPhone. [/COLOR]

I really find it stupid to do a review on a new phone vs an older phone. Just read a comparison for the S8/8+ vs the Pixel/XL and of course they said the S8/8+ was the better because of updated specs.

Oneplus 3t owners: are you satisfied with this phone? Any annoying flaws? I'm thinking about trying to get one of the new matte black versions when it goes on their site
nerd.gif

Ideally I'd like to wait for a Pixel 2 or Oneplus 4 or whatever else later on, but my Oneplus one is on its last legs
laugh.gif
I love mine. For a few hundred less than other flagships, I'm really pleased. Only annoying thing right now is some wakelocks but I think its strictly a wi-fi issue and the recent update should fix that I hope.

It's blazing fast, good screen, no issues handling anything I throw at it, good design, etc. I'm less excited about the bottom firing speaker after having one in the front, but oh well. I was also thinking about waiting to get a Oneplus 4 or see what else popped up, but I got mine a couple months ago and no regrets.

The S8 has been looking amazing, I can't wait to see the reviews. I don't see myself trading in or upgrading from my 3T anytime soon, but hopefully it delivers.

I really find it stupid to do a review on a new phone vs an older phone. Just read a comparison for the S8/8+ vs the Pixel/XL and of course they said the S8/8+ was the better because of updated specs.
Same.  Even comparing it to the iphone 7. But in the case of the iphone 7 it still could out perform the S8 as it often does with some recent android headsets
Gotta be honest, I'm not that impressed
I can "kinda" see how, but it's pretty to me

OK, long story here that I hope some of the more savvy Android and/or VZW peeps could help me out with, if possible. Any ideas on what could have caused this, or how I might be able to work around the current situation would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any ideas how my phone reverted to Korea Telecom as it's svc provider, and thoughts on how I might be able to change it back????

Got a loaner phone this AM til my replacement S7E comes in -- an iPhone 5s. This thing blows. Unless you're Tyrion Lannister or you're from the Shire, why would anyone want something this small????

Back
Top Bottom