Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

maybe its me but you guys don't find it annoying that the exact same phone drops pretty much every 2 months with only minor spec bumps? Like idk the way Android devices flood the market is a joke to me. IMO Each manufacturer should just do one big release per year.

Word. Its frustrating. Ive been holding on to my upgrade for over a year now. My Droid X still runs like butter and I have no issues with it. I dont want to upgrade another two years for a phone just because its a little faster or because it has ICS. Furthermore, the Nexus felt cheap to me and the camera was crappy. (I'm always using my camera phone)

How is it that the iphone 4 came out two years ago and still holds the torch for the best camera? Makes no sense to me.(BTW Im anti apple, and im basing my opinion on my girl having the iphone4)

^^^I feel you I have the Razr so at least I have a dual core LTE phone. It is rooted and Rom'd and it is dumb fast.I am gonna stick with this one for reals cause there is a better phone every few months that is really more of the same

^^^I feel you I have the Razr so at least I have a dual core LTE phone. It is rooted and Rom'd and it is dumb fast.I am gonna stick with this one for reals cause there is a better phone every few months that is really more of the same

maybe its me but you guys don't find it annoying that the exact same phone drops pretty much every 2 months with only minor spec bumps? Like idk the way Android devices flood the market is a joke to me. IMO Each manufacturer should just do one big release per year.

One of the reasons why i hated android and the phone manufacturers.
I was rolling with android since the beginning (G1) even got the G2. 

Its like every few months another phone comes out. I was thinking of getting the Sensation, then Amaze drops, then SSGS11....... so on

Said f it and went with iPhone
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

One of the reasons why i hated android and the phone manufacturers.
I was rolling with android since the beginning (G1) even got the G2. 

Its like every few months another phone comes out. I was thinking of getting the Sensation, then Amaze drops, then SSGS11....... so on

Said f it and went with iPhone
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Well, thats a PERSONAL issue.................

There hasnt been a better phone to come out since the galaxy S II, and before that, it wasnt worth changing from the evo to anything else for various reasons.

If you know how to work the system, you will have the phone you want whenever it comes out, like i do.

Why not sell your phone for the most you can get for it and pay the difference in regular price? OR try craigslist? They usually sell phones for about $150-$175 cheaper than the retail price within a month of release.

I swear by doing that, ive never ended up paying more than the UPGRADE retail for a newer phone. (I would say i saved even more because i didnt have upgrade fees and activation charges associated with getting a new phone)

Well, thats a PERSONAL issue.................

There hasnt been a better phone to come out since the galaxy S II, and before that, it wasnt worth changing from the evo to anything else for various reasons.

If you know how to work the system, you will have the phone you want whenever it comes out, like i do.

Why not sell your phone for the most you can get for it and pay the difference in regular price? OR try craigslist? They usually sell phones for about $150-$175 cheaper than the retail price within a month of release.

I swear by doing that, ive never ended up paying more than the UPGRADE retail for a newer phone. (I would say i saved even more because i didnt have upgrade fees and activation charges associated with getting a new phone)

If you feel overwhelmed, just buy a Nexus. Forget about everything else. Since ICS came out, specs don't make that big of a difference since ICS is pretty damn smooth on most phones. CPU/GPU matter for graphic intensive tasks like games, but that's about it. Camera is an important feature, but that's it. Buy a Nexus.

If you feel overwhelmed, just buy a Nexus. Forget about everything else. Since ICS came out, specs don't make that big of a difference since ICS is pretty damn smooth on most phones. CPU/GPU matter for graphic intensive tasks like games, but that's about it. Camera is an important feature, but that's it. Buy a Nexus.

Originally Posted by solesavage

Word. Its frustrating. Ive been holding on to my upgrade for over a year now. My Droid X still runs like butter and I have no issues with it. I dont want to upgrade another two years for a phone just because its a little faster or because it has ICS. Furthermore, the Nexus felt cheap to me and the camera was crappy. (I'm always using my camera phone)

How is it that the iphone 4 came out two years ago and still holds the torch for the best camera? Makes no sense to me.(BTW Im anti apple, and im basing my opinion on my girl having the iphone4)
Yeah this is the reason I can't pull the trigger on the Nexus.  it also felt cheap to me and I just don't like the phone long term.  Want an iphone but want a phone with LTE if I am going to have it 2 years.  At this point I am debating which I can sell for more between the iphone 4s and galaxy nexus when the iphone 5 comes out if it has LTE
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by solesavage

Yeah this is the reason I can't pull the trigger on the Nexus.  it also felt cheap to me and I just don't like the phone long term.  Want an iphone but want a phone with LTE if I am going to have it 2 years.  At this point I am debating which I can sell for more between the iphone 4s and galaxy nexus when the iphone 5 comes out if it has LTE
eyes.gif

Anybody hear about this new Spring upgrade plan starting tomorrow?

Sprint launches early upgrade promo, wants you to stay and chat awhile
upgn2.png

In an industry where customer churn can be likened to the fearsome troll under the bridge, Sprint has launched a program designed to keep its favored subscribers around for another two years. While not everyone is eligible -- those who've upgraded less than eight months ago, corporate outfits and those in collections need not inquire -- the program lets customers buy their way out of their current commitment and become eligible for a new, subsidized handset. The promotion begins February 12th and is set to run through the 14th of April, where the amount you pay correlates to the time since your last upgrade. So if you're currently pining for the Epic 4G Touch or the iPhone 4S, just give your local Sprint store a call this Sunday. They just may be able to hook you up.

So I can upgrade right now for $55 or wait till April (hopefully Galaxy Nexus LTE drops or something better) and only pay $36. 

Android smartphones is about choice. Its like ice cream at baskin robins you can mix and pick any flavor you want. Yea manufactures make many various types of phones but they are catering to many customers who have different taste. However manufactures are failing on the updating the software and just abandoning the phone, that i can agree it wrong and if you ever bought a phone from manufacture who failed to update the software you should move on and look at something else.

The Galaxy Nexus is a reference design and is not meant to compete with many types of Android devices that are being released its used to showcase the innovation of software and what kind of hardware can go into a phone. Some manufactures might or will surpass what the Nexus devices can do and that how Google wants it. For them to innovate and use the Android system to flex its muscles.

I'm using a Nexus S 4G right now and used it with gingerbread, then updated to ICS. The hardware is old compare to what is released today but the software is so damm good that going to phone with customized version of gingerbread is like driving you vehicle backwards.

Technology waits for no one you either want the tech or not.

Android smartphones is about choice. Its like ice cream at baskin robins you can mix and pick any flavor you want. Yea manufactures make many various types of phones but they are catering to many customers who have different taste. However manufactures are failing on the updating the software and just abandoning the phone, that i can agree it wrong and if you ever bought a phone from manufacture who failed to update the software you should move on and look at something else.

The Galaxy Nexus is a reference design and is not meant to compete with many types of Android devices that are being released its used to showcase the innovation of software and what kind of hardware can go into a phone. Some manufactures might or will surpass what the Nexus devices can do and that how Google wants it. For them to innovate and use the Android system to flex its muscles.

I'm using a Nexus S 4G right now and used it with gingerbread, then updated to ICS. The hardware is old compare to what is released today but the software is so damm good that going to phone with customized version of gingerbread is like driving you vehicle backwards.

Technology waits for no one you either want the tech or not.

Anybody hear about this new Spring upgrade plan starting tomorrow?

Sprint launches early upgrade promo, wants you to stay and chat awhile
upgn2.png

In an industry where customer churn can be likened to the fearsome troll under the bridge, Sprint has launched a program designed to keep its favored subscribers around for another two years. While not everyone is eligible -- those who've upgraded less than eight months ago, corporate outfits and those in collections need not inquire -- the program lets customers buy their way out of their current commitment and become eligible for a new, subsidized handset. The promotion begins February 12th and is set to run through the 14th of April, where the amount you pay correlates to the time since your last upgrade. So if you're currently pining for the Epic 4G Touch or the iPhone 4S, just give your local Sprint store a call this Sunday. They just may be able to hook you up.

So I can upgrade right now for $55 or wait till April (hopefully Galaxy Nexus LTE drops or something better) and only pay $36. 

^yup.

I ended up getting an Inspire 4g off ebay back in november for cheap because i was sick of my old blackberry bold 9700... been running cm7 on it and haven't had many complaints until recently. single core system is starting to lag with all the new intensive features from apps etc.

considering getting the gs2 skyrocket with my upgrade. i reserved a $50 best buy gift card for my upgrade... questions though...

i've never purchased/upgraded a phone at a big box store like best buy- how does it differ from getting it directly from my att store? ie warranty, tech help, etc. does it differ at all?

anyone have a skyrocket? opinions? experiences?

^yup.

I ended up getting an Inspire 4g off ebay back in november for cheap because i was sick of my old blackberry bold 9700... been running cm7 on it and haven't had many complaints until recently. single core system is starting to lag with all the new intensive features from apps etc.

considering getting the gs2 skyrocket with my upgrade. i reserved a $50 best buy gift card for my upgrade... questions though...

i've never purchased/upgraded a phone at a big box store like best buy- how does it differ from getting it directly from my att store? ie warranty, tech help, etc. does it differ at all?

anyone have a skyrocket? opinions? experiences?

Apple seeks to ban Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, but it's really going after Android 4.0

Apple's intellectual property quest has traditionally gone after manufacturers and their dubiously familiar form factors, but now it looks like the company is aiming straight at Google and Android 4.0: Apple has filed a new motion in the US for a preliminary injunction that would ban the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google's flagship Android device.

While Samsung has been the target of Apple's ire with a barrage of other lawsuits, the Galaxy Nexus' hardware isn't really the center of attention here. Since the claim is specifically about key software patents in Android 4.0, other manufacturers putting the latest stock Android OS on their devices could be open to similar lawsuits if the court rules in Apple's favor.

Here are the patents at stake:

US Patent No. 5,946,647 - this patent was filed in 1996 (issued 1999) and covers detecting data, such as a phone number, in an email or web page, creating a link to that data, and initiating an action like calling the phone number when the user selects the link. The data could also include addresses, dates, etc.

US Patent No. 8,086,604 - this patent claims priority back to 2000 (issued Dec. 2011) and covers searching multiple sources of information (on device and elsewhere) through a single search interface, such as Siri. Apple specifically touts Siri in its injunction request, but also argues that a unified text search is covered by the patent as well.

US Patent No. 8,046,721 - this patent claims priority back to 2005 (issued Oct. 2011) and covers Apple's signature slide-to-unlock feature. While Apple already has patent coverage on an image unlock feature, this newest patent is obviously intended to be a bit broader — likely addressing potential workarounds implemented by Google and OEMs over the last couple of years.

US Patent No. 8,074,172 - this patent was filed in 2007 (issued Dec. 2011) and covers providing word suggestions while the user types on a touchscreen keyboard, where the suggestions can be accepted or rejected by the user.
Apple already won a ruling over patent #5,946,647 back in December, when the US International Trade Commission banned the importation and sale of HTC Android devices including the Sprint Evo 4G, Verizon Droid Incredible, AT&T Aria, and T-Mobile G2. The other patents in Apple's new claim are relatively new — all having been issued in late 2011 — so we'll have to wait and see what the court decides. We'll be monitoring the progress of Apple's new patent suit closely, and will update you accordingly.

Matt Macari contributed to this report.

from TheVerge.com

You got to be kidding me!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Apple seeks to ban Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, but it's really going after Android 4.0

Apple's intellectual property quest has traditionally gone after manufacturers and their dubiously familiar form factors, but now it looks like the company is aiming straight at Google and Android 4.0: Apple has filed a new motion in the US for a preliminary injunction that would ban the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google's flagship Android device.

While Samsung has been the target of Apple's ire with a barrage of other lawsuits, the Galaxy Nexus' hardware isn't really the center of attention here. Since the claim is specifically about key software patents in Android 4.0, other manufacturers putting the latest stock Android OS on their devices could be open to similar lawsuits if the court rules in Apple's favor.

Here are the patents at stake:

US Patent No. 5,946,647 - this patent was filed in 1996 (issued 1999) and covers detecting data, such as a phone number, in an email or web page, creating a link to that data, and initiating an action like calling the phone number when the user selects the link. The data could also include addresses, dates, etc.

US Patent No. 8,086,604 - this patent claims priority back to 2000 (issued Dec. 2011) and covers searching multiple sources of information (on device and elsewhere) through a single search interface, such as Siri. Apple specifically touts Siri in its injunction request, but also argues that a unified text search is covered by the patent as well.

US Patent No. 8,046,721 - this patent claims priority back to 2005 (issued Oct. 2011) and covers Apple's signature slide-to-unlock feature. While Apple already has patent coverage on an image unlock feature, this newest patent is obviously intended to be a bit broader — likely addressing potential workarounds implemented by Google and OEMs over the last couple of years.

US Patent No. 8,074,172 - this patent was filed in 2007 (issued Dec. 2011) and covers providing word suggestions while the user types on a touchscreen keyboard, where the suggestions can be accepted or rejected by the user.
Apple already won a ruling over patent #5,946,647 back in December, when the US International Trade Commission banned the importation and sale of HTC Android devices including the Sprint Evo 4G, Verizon Droid Incredible, AT&T Aria, and T-Mobile G2. The other patents in Apple's new claim are relatively new — all having been issued in late 2011 — so we'll have to wait and see what the court decides. We'll be monitoring the progress of Apple's new patent suit closely, and will update you accordingly.

Matt Macari contributed to this report.

from TheVerge.com

You got to be kidding me!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

that's ridiculous.

if there is no competition, the monopolizing company will get stale.

ultimately it screws us- the consumers.

that's ridiculous.

if there is no competition, the monopolizing company will get stale.

ultimately it screws us- the consumers.

Originally Posted by rillo561

YO!, that better not delay the Galaxy Nexus coming to Sprint.

Google is not make Samsung lose this case. Sprint is not gonna make Samsung lose this case, Verizon is not gonna make Samsung lose this case, etc....Apple will be destroyed in this case. I'm sure of it.

Originally Posted by rillo561

YO!, that better not delay the Galaxy Nexus coming to Sprint.

Google is not make Samsung lose this case. Sprint is not gonna make Samsung lose this case, Verizon is not gonna make Samsung lose this case, etc....Apple will be destroyed in this case. I'm sure of it.

Back
Top Bottom