Wale, when will you blow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thers prolly a topic in earlier pages, idk. I just want to know what yall think about him, I personally love his music especially since he's a sneakerfreak, why he's gettin more love in the UK than in the US, and though he was in the VMA's for like 30 seconds why he hasn' reached national hype?

I was told that at his show last night at Fur, that he announced that he had been signed to a deal. Not sure of any specifics.

laugh.gif
@ the thread title...bamma just straight put it out there

Here is how a "I'm from D.C." conversation should go with an o.g. who may approach you:

"Hey Slim, where you from jo?"

"From D.C. yung. 5th and Shepherd/7th and Taylor. Also got folks at Rittenhouse."

"How old are you?"

"27"

"Oh, so you used to bang with *****, and know *******, and you gotta know ******..."

"Yeah, them my folks..."

If you can't have this convo with a local older head, you've already killed your own credibility.

That's all hip-hop is now.

It's not skills. It's not swagger. It's 100% credibility. Then the rest falls in place............................

Or falls out of place........................................

And that's all the Washington Post article -- even with the zillion "petty corrections" afterwards-- was addressing subliminally.

I personally think Pharrell can help him with a short term hit or two, but besides that..........................

Y'all keep holding on like he Marion Barry.
laugh.gif

marion barry, haha. naw it aint that i mean its the fact that 1) his punchlines are prolly the best out there, even though that doesnt make a GREAT rapper. and2) its always good to see someone from MD/DC/VA make it

IMO he needs some vicious beats...he can rap but, i don't know if he can make beats with go-go mainstream. I hope he does blow-up we need someone to put DCon the map

He just recently got a record deal with a major label, or so my ORLY owls have told me, good for him.

My-T.

I hope for the best for ANY aspiring Artist comin from the Urea... however, what everyone needs to understand is, if you get signed it doesn't mean youbecome a National Hit.

Why?

They not put any marketing behind you. Look at Def Jam. Hov was putting any of his Artist on Blast while he was at the Helm and almost had a Mutiny up there.

If you have no Marketing Dollars, you will still be a local known artist. Hopefully Wale gets Good Marketing thru his Label or Management folks pushing forMarketing Dollars.

I also hope the guy who posted his Video in the Forum and Tabey Bonet Blow up and get something behind them. I like their flow alot. For me its def. more thanPunchlines but alot to do with Content and Flow. Am I getting a story with the Rhymes other than alot of catchy one liners?

Give me something to chew on 90s style with my Song ya heard?

Also... E.. was the Fur event the one you told me about, or will that be something else?

Holla

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Y'all keep holding on like he Marion Barry.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Im no music insider or know anyone in the music industry, but from the outside looking in, how does anyone think this guy is going to get huge mainstreampublicity? Music sales are in the gutter and between Kanye and Lupe there are already rappers similar to him that are out there right now that would"hog" any spot light this guy may try to get, everyone will say the same thing "another Kanye/Lupe." Just as people complain there are tomany Jeezy type rappers out, nobody will want a bunch of these sneaker skateboard rappers out.I wish the best for him, he seems like a nice person, but some ofyou are holding on to Wale making it big like its going to change some of y'alls life.

And getting "signed" congrats, the first step, how many signed artists are there out there who have to push and push to get a CD out, wasn'tPapposse given like $2 Million and supposed to be "the next big thing" have we heard from this guy since then? Dont think so. There are countlessothers who are having trouble breaking through (at least IMO) to get there music out. Maybe if this was 1998 and he signed to No Limit back when P was givingKaine and Able 2 record deals and putting out everyone who could talk into a Mic out he would get out there, but this is 2007, about to be 2008 and i dont seeit happen.

....but what do i know?

rock deep i feel ya with the whole story in da song thing. varisox you say that he'll have to share spotlight or not get any but his flow and style to meare unique or at least among mainstream artists he's real different from kanye or lupe

on the subject of him blowin up or what not...he's takin his time so he can get a taste of the game beforehand so he wont just have his fifteen minutes offame and leave..thats why he toured around U.K and he experienced and knows what to expect going into the game.. He is def on the right track when it comes tomarketing because he's been on mtv twice already, once for the mtv news break segment and one for vma's, he's been mentioned in multiple magazinesand newspapers, and last but not least he is on a magazine cover for gods sake... IMO you cant compare him with lupe, kanye or J. he is something completelydifferent and thats why I think he will definitley blow up bigger than we all can imagine.....he is vitally needed in todays world filled with that "a baybay" and "crank dat" bull %%** we call music...whether u blow up or not ur gonna go down as one of the best lyricists i've ever heard in mybooks.. Wale keep doin ur damn thing and best of luck to you.

1) his punchlines are prolly the best out there, even though that doesnt make a GREAT rapper.

owlmedley.gif

I wish dude the best of luck, but it's gotten boring and repetitve to me. I understand he likes his jeans to be selvedge and his shoes to be colorful andhis shirts to be from The Hundreds. Is that all that's really going on? Like Rock said, gimme a story!

There's alot that's already been said, so I will just keep it at that. I think that like some said, so many people are riding on his coattails,because, not so secretly(hell, not even discretely), they seek the same spotlight. It's not about him making it, it's about the perceived notion thatTHEY made it.

See, I always viewed the music industry(something I love, yet hate all in the same breath.....) as a vehicle to use to other points of interests. Diversify.Pretty much conquer in the vein in what Sean Carter has done. What Sean John Combs has done. What Master P has done(if you think the "Tank" not being"Hot" at this point in any way effect his cashflow, then you're an idiot...). Sadly, the same audience that "loves" you today, hatetomorrow for the next "Souljaboytell'em"(BTW: 2 "Hot" singles, and BDS abundant, he's still hovering around 450K in sales. Proofthat promotion. video placement, and spins don't always equal sales....but I'm sure his ringtone game is poppin').

I see the articles on Wale(I mean, I've always gotten the industry trades, before him, and will continue to, after him). He is making headway and that is agood look for him. His perseverence has definitely been in his favor. The only advice I offer to him is to make sure your house is in order. We've talkedbefore, I've voiced the same concerns that I have always had. Everyone that bigs you up is not interested in you doing well. They're interested ingetting on as well or getting taken care of. Make sure you do your research(even on some of the things I told you) and second guess everyone. N's ain'talways your friend and in fact, It's not about friendship. This business(nor any business for that matter....) is not built on friendship. You are only asgood as your last performance or task you've completed. Once the light and luster dulls and you're no longer "on the come-up, dudes will cling tothe next sacks they can find to sustain whatever dream THEY have.

Don't be convinced by the Sack-riders that everyone that don't bow down and like everything thing you do is a "hater"and don't want tosee you do well. Reality can be a mf'er. Everything you do won't be tight. Take the good w/ the bad and adjust. Take it for what it's worth, digestit, then take the next step. Atleast you can make it calculated than take one working off of emotion. Especially from dudes with nothing to gain from you andnothing to lose from you.

I wish you the best, Homie. You know my number. We can chop it up anytime................

I am not very deep into his catalog, but whatever choices he makes I wish him the best.

This is in general:

Ultimately, all you can do in this world is make the best choices for you. Believe in what your conscience is telling you, regardless of what someone else maybe saying. And remember to stay true to who your are as an artist. Trends are what they are. They may disappear and comeback in a few years, but they don'tlast.

Lastly, I would say the first choice to be made is whether you want to make this a career or a hustle to the next thing. A career is a long standing entity. Ahustle is nothing more than a trend in that it doesn't last long. Make the choice that best meets your goals!

The only thing I can do to agree with that is, those who Hate aint always hatin... but at least everyone who has an opinion is listening to his music to knowif they like it or not.

I couldn't agree MORE with O, when he says, those who have anything to gain or lose from his success or failure and are in fact established themselves arethose who may have the best words for you.

Thats how I have always gotten ahead with my strategy. Seek out those who couldn't care less if I was successful or not. Talk to those who are establishedand want nor seek and gratuities from advice I obtain from them. Also if everyone is telling you everything you do is tight, and untouchable, they aren'ttrue management or friends.

I have learned already knew... every idea I had wasn't the best and every concept I tried to bring to life wasn't top notch, but those who weretruthful, yet not only gave me an honest reading, also gave suggestions on how I could better that concept or what I should do when back at the drawing board.

If you just get a thumbs up or down. That aint poop when it comes to constructive criticism. If someone's goin to tell you what they think.. the least theycould do is offer a solution on how they think it could be improved. Although thats not always right either.

This is where that Research O talked about comes in.

Ultimately, what you do (wale OR anyone else creating something) falls on you and what you think is right.

SEVENTH AND A....SEVENTH AND A ....... SEVENTH AND TAYYYYYYYLARRRRRRRRRR....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom