Wale, when will you blow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is old that he no longer is w/ 43 but whatever happened to "loveday"?... a friend of mine somehow got a hold of some of the unreleasedsongs like "i hate my job," "she dont neeed it," "ridin in that black jont," etc...

are those ever ging to get released because they are fiyahhhhhh

Originally Posted by StockDead

it seems like no matter how much success Wale has, no matter how much music he gives away free, no matter how many ridiculous shows he does, no matter how much he keeps achieving things that are unprecedented for an unsigned artist, people are still hating and questioning

in the last 6 months this dude:
has toured Europe for 5 months with Mark Ronson (who just got nominated for 3 Grammy's and will win at least 1)

signed with Mark Ronson who will be producing and overseeing his album

been featured in THE FADER, front page Sunday Style section of The Washington Post, in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY as one of 8 people to watch in 2008, in XXL Show and Prove, in Rolling Stone On The Edge, in Complex, in VIBE, in The New York Times, in The Boston Globe and on THE COVER OF URB MAGAZINE WITH JUSTICE!!! I mean, how many unsigned rappers get on the cover of a major music magazine with one of the biggest groups in the world right now?!

getting spins on WKYS, WPGC, XM Radio, Sirius, Power 106, Hot 97, Power 105...these stations are spinning to support, not cuz their parent companies told them to

is on the remix to one of the biggest songs of the year (Chris Brown/T-Pain "Kiss Kiss remix")

is on the remix to MIA's "Boyz" remix

is on a effing remix with Mary J. Blige and Maroon 5 produced by Mark Ronson

performed at the BBC Electric Proms with a 56 piece orchestra which was broadcast live in the UK

is featured on the BBC Radio 1 40th Anniversary compilation

performed at the VMA's BY HIMSELF! it wasn't like he was 50's hype man

has his own MTV You Hear It First

had Nike license one of his tracks for their website

had iTunes Single of the Week

has had over 25,000 people download his critically acclaimed mixtape 100 MILES AND RUNNING

got sponsored by Remy Martin

had a song prominently featured on ENTOURAGE

did a song with Rhymefest

got Lil Wayne on the Nike Boots remix for free

has done solo shows around the country

AND THIS IS ALL WITH NO RECORD DEAL AND NO PUBLICIST

if this isn't strategically "blowing up" I dunno what is. The fact that you are even wondering should tell you something. Is it safe to say that the majority of your favorite rappers are or have been signed to a major label? and did you know about them before their first single? most likely no. The fact that Wale has an international fanbase, is doing solo shows around the country, has 2 million plays on myspace and almost 2 million page views should indicate that he is building himself a solid foundation so that when he does get the major label push, when he does have 4 singles on the radio, when he is on tour with ______, when it comes time to the VMA's, Grammy's, etc, everybody will know him and he will have blown up on a worldwide scale and he will be around 10 years from now, pertinent as ever.

What were 3 of the biggest songs this past year? Umbrella, Party Like A Rockstar and Crank That right? go check the sales. Shop Boyz and Soulja Boy are not touring. They are not selling out venues. People buy the single and the ringtone and that's it. People do not invest in them as artists.

Wale is blowing up in a new model for the music business. Not only that, he has done it at a pretty remarkable pace. Wale is going to the first artist on a new wave of artists whose success will not be defined in the way artists were judged as recently as 5 years ago.

He was offered his first record deal 7 months ago but passed because he did not want to become another Lil ____ or Yung ____. Now that he's finally gotten himself to a place where he feels he will get the attention he deserves from a major, he is signing and the label will serve a purpose in filling in the gaps. He will record a classic album, go platinum, go on tour, win Grammy's and be mentioned with the greats in the next 2 years.

Stop hating and start participating if you don't wanna see hip hop die.

Only YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU can prevent hip hop from dying

I havent been to church in two months but this should hold me over to mid 2008.

dj heat.

if you look @ the myspace "plays"

wale's music "spun" 2 million plus.

meanwhile, raheem and tabi put together didnt even equate to 1 mil. (but i did browse raheem OLD page doe. lol.

mix it up...now baby mix it up...

lol.

i am animal thug....i luuuuv evvvvveeeeddddyyyboooddddyyyyyyy.........if the world is bigger then nt ..i dont wanna live in it

thats wild...i was bumping that album in my ipod this morning and herd that skit....

Put the AK away Animal Cub...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by iCan

dj heat.

if you look @ the myspace "plays"

wale's music "spun" 2 million plus.

meanwhile, raheem and tabi put together didnt even equate to 1 mil. (but i did browse raheem OLD page doe. lol.

mix it up...now baby mix it up...

lol.

Seek help.

i've met him a few times before and he's a real cool dude, i wish him nothing but the best.

i'm a bit unmoved by his production though. i wish him & oddisee would do a track or something just to show certain local artists that the hip-hopscene is bigger than tabi/wale...

Wale and Tabi are two of the best artist that rep us well.alot of other artist from this area or elsewhere just dont have the look,skill or know how to get outthere. Tabi seems more out there cuz he has alot of connects cuz he was in fashion before music. so alot of his folks are BET and MTV people,whom he got hisclothing to from time to time. he also has a pretty good team behind him.Wale is backed by some of the best reps and music folks in the game also. just cuz heisnt as visual aint nothing. dude has done crazy tours over seas and the per diem(pay per day,along with show pay) he gets is siicckk for a new artists. plushis fan base is crazy. dude got folks from DC to down under lovin him.he actually is being humble to me. he could be grabbin all these DMV awards and on ourstations 24/7,but he doesnt get on vote ballots to give other unheard artist a chance.either way,dude is in a good spot. being in the music industry i can tellu,Wale makes out alil better being indie artist doing stuff for himself and getting almost all the fruits of his labor back to him.rec industry is crazy rightnow. he's been grindin so hard on his own,that when labels started callin,they had to step to him with some good%*!+,not that BS fools sign on to. lessonlearned for local artist or anyone tryna get on;your hustle aint enough,hustle until there aint no where else to go. dc is a drop in the pond compaired to therest of the world.u gotta hit everyone if u expect a label to get u to be heard by everyone. as long as we support him,he'll shine soon enough.

^

Even with that speech...

Fact still remains...

Dude hasn't cranked out a "hit" in 2 years...

And my "per diem" per day is alot more than his, but I'm "signed" so... lol.

wooow,great for you. just wondering though, do you have a solution,better yet a helpful suggestion for him? something positive to help him get to the"big time"? any ideas on what his next hit should be? i only ask cuz it seems once again,u along with others, do alot of barber shop talkin,and notenough supporting. not sure if your in the industry or not,and it doesnt really matter.but point is even if folks feel Wale isnt doing much,they should atleastbe supportive of what hes done so far. source mag,pretty big but not crazy huge.fader,urb cover,mtv awards,mtv news,now thats something.all im saying is we cango back and forth about artists and what their doing all day and night. the fact remains,i along with others will supporting the dude.so u can continue tothrow hate sideways. he wouldnt be doing his job well if you werent doing yours.thats all any area asks.not that u support eevverryone,cause alot of folks arejust crap. but those of quality just support them. wale,tabi,raheem,dopeville,gas'd,everydaypple,hofe,etc. lastely,as i finish my "speech", thetrue big time is determined by ones self. dude could be totally happy with rockin a crowd of 30,000 and getting doe for tellin folks about our city through themic. let him do his flow and u do u. i enjoy haters though. yall are the best motivators.lol. - gone

grs18 wrote:

. he could be grabbin all these DMV awards and on our stations 24/7,
*sees view potential of thread and advertising capability*

DID SOMEONE SAY DMV AWARDS AND STATIONS??!!! I will be one of your hosts for the evening!!!

lol, thats whats up. im doing my best to be in town that weekend to support. casted my votes already and then some,lol. do you know if they ever added anaward for movie or short film?

DC.. whens the last time Flexx has been down to see Liz? Did he DJ the Jordan Party this summer again?

Real talk here for the new forum Offensive Linebacker "grs18" (blocking hard for WALE! and Ian in another thread) who just joined the forum...

WALE! has got to be the most defended hip-hop artist in the history of rap music... Well, history of mankind!

Or, WALE! has one of the most sensitive core fans in the history of hip-hop.

Take your choice.
indifferent.gif

Slim is a grown$%!% man, let alone has an account here and speaks for himself when he feels the need.

Y'all "supporters" continue to make it seems like dude is y'all savior. Like all y'alllittle getwits is gonna be in a big "ring around the rosey" circle in the middle of Dupont jumping for joy when another true hit is played on theradio.

WALE! doesn't want to be known as just a "go-go rapper."

Me knowing the man the way I think I do (or did), I doubt he wants to be known as the "savior for MD hypebeasts" either.

Jesus Christ.

It's not the support, its how you support.

This is hip-hop. Dude is an emcee -- a decent one at that. Y'all make him look like some slum, which he is not, not at all.

And yes, I have supported dude -- getting a little bit of $$$ in his pocket from behind the scenes when I had the chance to. And I'll do it again if theopportunity presents itself.

That's support. Bustas.

Y'all shoe dudes man.........................................................
laugh.gif

E-tainment.

As hard as I know Kev goes at folks here...

I have to agree with the aforestated quotes.....

Wale does actually come on THIS very Forum and either states his case, defends whatever or just chimes in, as ALL other Forum Members do.

SOOOOOooooo.. this leads me to ask this rhetorical question....? How many Artist who have as much CRITICAL Acclaim (did I get that right?) come ON a MessageBoard to yuck it up with their critics AND fans...as well as mix among the Common Folks?

I think Wale has done exactly what he intends on doing. Staying a regular ace dude who is tryin to do big things. I said it once and will state it again. IfWale doesn't mind the critisism why should any of his fans OR 'Supporters'?

I mean... if you can criticise him, doesn't that mean you are listening to his music? Thats better than those who only listen BECAUSE they like him.

Ask Howard Stern.... half his listeners are composed of people OR WERE... those who wanted to hate on him to hear what he said next.. just like those who likehim. They want to hear what he will say next.

Maybe those who critique do it because they want him to cater to their kind of music? Who knows. But if I were the artist.. I'd just be glad it'sanother ear hearing my product.

I say..... Unless YOU ARE his Road Manager.. Business Manager or Affiliated in such a way , where it benefits Wale's career... stop being so sensitive andSupport by buying his music and listening....

But it is a forum, so I suppose you can [Digital Underground] say what ya like[Digital Underground]

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Like all y'all little getwits is gonna be in a big "ring around the rosey" circle in the middle of Dupont jumping for joy when another true hit is played on the radio.

The mental image of that is just
eek.gif

grs...they didn't add a film award. I'll bring that up to them for next year. Good idea.

Rock...he goes down there weekly I believe. Don't know if he did that event though.

Originally Posted by DCshoechick

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Like all y'all little getwits is gonna be in a big "ring around the rosey" circle in the middle of Dupont jumping for joy when another true hit is played on the radio.

The mental image of that is just
eek.gif

roll.gif
i know right...i'm laughin' like sh_ over this joint..

Real talk here for the new forum Offensive Linebacker "grs18" (blocking hard for WALE! and Ian in another thread) who just joined the forum...
what are you talking bout man.. why are you even bringing my name up? cause he said "tru that" to something i posted?

*EDIT*

yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom