Was Tupac's death the worst thing that has happened to the black race in the last 20 years?

OP is entitled to his own opinion, but I feel like people put wayyyy too much stock into what tupac brought to the table.

I meant as far as the evolution by way of influence on black Americans... not in terms of genocide or natural disasters.

Like today every little kid wants to be tatted up like Lil Wayne or be a successful drug dealer turned rapper like Jay-Z

Beneath the surface Tupac had a purpose, and I feel like if he had lived longer and was able to use his voice and his influence to speak to the masses, he would have gotten his points across and we would be raising more revolutionaries instead of young kids who only want to look fly, have swag, and that wanted to "ball."

Again, just a thought.

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

Not sure if you're even close to serious.
30t6p3b.gif

i feel that our youths infatuation and idolatry concerning fictional hip-hop characters combined with their antics is much worse than pacs death. i think this question proves that. i am 25 year old black male that works with kids and i will say i could care less about tupac shakur but i do care that all these kids wanna do during class is cat-daddy, cook, cuss, and wear chicken nugget hair-cuts ala whiz k; just to state a few of the ills out there.. the impact that BET MTV and other media outlets is having on our impressionable youth is much worse than the death of an entertainer. just my 2 pennies mane.

The answer to this question is BET. The single most detrimental thing to the black community (besides crack) since its creation.

Originally Posted by Key 2 Life

OP is entitled to his own opinion, but I feel like people put wayyyy too much stock into what tupac brought to the table.

I could add to this but yeah, what he said

"who shot ya? Separate the weak from he obsolete"
In all seriousness tho. Pac getn shoot really? Im pretty sure MLK getting shoot was a little more impact full.

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

With the anniversary of Tupac"s death coming up we were talking about him and this today at work, and I really couldn't think of a reason to disagree. 
Like it or not, the most influential people to the young generation have become the people in the media, mainly musicians and rappers. Yes Tupac had some derogatory lyrics and rapped about questionable topics, but he was also the son of parents who were Black Panthers... and it seemed like he had an understanding that coming together as people was the best thing for the black race. It almost seems like the East Coast/West Coast beef was put in place to kind of deflect attention off of what Tupac really wanted to rap about, and could have ultimately been the cover up for the real reason he was killed. He had the young generation ready for whatever. 

With Tupac dead that opened the door for flashy rappers and "gangster for no reason rappers" to have the platform all to themselves, and there has not since been a rapper who had that kind of following who had the "military mindset"  for the purpose of bringing black people together. So basically this whole generation has grown up to follow rappers with no substance and no purpose, which has had a direct negative effect in our youth. 

Thoughts?

I'm not saying this is definitively the worst thing that has happened to black people in the last 20 years, but I do feel like it is an interesting perspective worthy of consideration. 

And you if you disagree, what is the worst thing that has happened to the black race in 20 years? 
I want to know how people even come up with these topics and build up the idea enough to create a paragraph of material and offer a discussion about this stuff man.

Originally Posted by FEETure

i feel that our youths infatuation and idolatry concerning fictional hip-hop characters combined with their antics is much worse than pacs death. i think this question proves that. i am 25 year old black male that works with kids and i will say i could care less about tupac shakur but i do care that all these kids wanna do during class is cat-daddy, cook, cuss, and wear chicken nugget hair-cuts ala whiz k; just to state a few of the ills out there.. the impact that BET MTV and other media outlets is having on our impressionable youth is much worse than the death of an entertainer. just my 2 pennies mane.
This is what I was trying to get at. If the children had someone to emulate with a purpose and vision, things would be a lot different. 
So obviously others disagree. Cool. 

So if not him, then who? 

I wouldn't say that Tupac was the ideal person to be emulated and I don't understand why people say he was going to be so influential. I look at people like MLK and although some may not agree with the way he did things, the fact is he accomplished way more than most other people. That's the type of person who needs to be emulated, a person who was educated and had a vision of peace, not someone who raps about violence, even if he only did it in a few songs.

Not gonna say the worst thing to happen but I think if he was still alive he would have made more of an impact. I'm definitely not gonna say he wouldn't have made a positive impact if he was still alive.

tupacs death affected a certain portion of the black community. there are people who dont know anything about him or his 'message'. there are also others who feel he promoted the same negativity we see today in hip hop. his death is not important in black history enough to say it affected the race to me...it is however important in music history. we as young Black americans need to understand that there are much more important things than Sports, Drugs & Entertainment. rappers, hustlers, and 2 guards have become more influential than teachers, parents and community.

The recession.
Economists say the Great Recession lasted from 2007 to 2009. In 2004, the median net worth of white households was $134,280, compared with $13,450 for black households, according to an analysis of Federal Reserve data by the Economic Policy Institute. By 2009, the median net worth for white households had fallen 24 percent to $97,860; the median black net worth had fallen 83 percent to $2,170, according to the EPI.
Since the end of the recession, the overall unemployment rate has fallen from 9.4 to 9.1 percent, while the black unemployment rate has risen from 14.7 to 16.2 percent, according to the Department of Labor.
http://www.huffingtonpost...-americans_n_894046.html

I would put Katrina number two, but its effect wasn't felt nationwide, but it still disproportionally affected black people.

Back
Top Bottom