Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was a serious article :x

Washington Wizards should think about John Wall’s ink before signing him to a max deal
By Jason Reid, Published: June 24

Wizards point guard John Wall hasn’t proven himself on the basketball court. And apparently, Wall still is a bit of a mystery off of it, too.

Posing shirtless recently for an Instagram photo, Wall revealed several tattoos. Wall’s interest in body art is surprising, considering he previously said he did not have tattoos because of concerns over his image for marketing reasons. Many NBA players do have tattoos, and Wall isn’t breaking new ground in sharing his ink with fans through social media.

But not every player flip-flops on a topic in such a public way. Factor in that Wall is expected to receive a huge payday from the Wizards next month, and the timing of his tattoo revelation raises questions about his decision making. For a franchise with a history of backing the wrong players, that’s food for thought.

This isn’t about the merits of body art. Wall, 22, has the right to put whatever he wants on his body, and one of the advantages of youth is that you can reinvent yourself. As the face of the Wizards’ franchise, however, Wall is going to be scrutinized more than the last man on the bench. He’s always under the microscope.

Judging by his new look, Wall, who declined an interview request Monday through the team, might not be as concerned as he once was about appealing to a wide audience. In interviews before the 2010 draft, Wall made a point of presenting the type of clean-cut image teams want from college players to whom they’re considering giving millions of dollars.

The Wizards, then trying to dig out from the Gilbert Arenas mess, needed the straightest arrow possible with the No. 1 overall pick. Wall’s public comments were refreshing. Wall also conducted himself appropriately when the curtain was drawn. Basically, Wall was the anti-Arenas. The summer after he was drafted, Wall continued to make all the right moves, telling The Post’s Michael Lee, “When I first cut my hair and all that and didn’t get any tattoos, that was the main thing, having a clean image . . . to help you to be more marketable.”

Tattoos didn’t stop Miami’s LeBron James from becoming the league’s top corporate pitchman. Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant has intricate body art and makes millions in endorsements. Chicago’s Derrick Rose is “all tatted up,” as the kids say these days, and he rakes in big bucks from his corporate partners. What’s the difference between those guys and Wall? Well, everything.

James, Durant and Rose, in that order, are considered the best players in the game. In his first three seasons, Wall didn’t appear in an all-star game, didn’t participate in the playoffs or lead the Wizards to so much as a .500 record. James and Rose never tried to sell mass-appeal images to the public. They just let their play do the talking.

Durant, who cultivated a broad-appeal persona, did throw fans a change-up a couple of summers ago by unveiling his “business tattoos,” which cannot be seen when he’s wearing his jersey. Before he shook it up, though, Durant already had established himself as a potential great. Even if Durant had tattoos all over his face, the Thunder would have offered him a maximum extension. He’s that good.

Like Durant, Wall has strategically put tattoos on parts of his body that might not be visible when he’s in uniform. But if he wanted to keep the ink to himself, why the photos on Instagram?

Perhaps Wall decided to let his guard down because it seems he’s about to get paid. Maybe he believes he has arrived. He hasn’t. He’s coming off a season in which he didn’t play until January because of an injured left knee. And while he showed flashes of being an improved scorer, he’s hardly a proven commodity.

As we saw during the NBA playoffs, many young point guards are ahead of Wall. Mike Conley Jr. of Memphis is an old-school floor general. Golden State’s Stephen Curry is a shooting star. Denver’s Ty Lawson is a one-man fast break. And they all received less than the maximum deal that Wall says he’s entitled to now.

So if you still have something to prove on the court, why give your employer reason to be unsure of who you are off it?

The Wall situation almost makes you feel sorry for Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld. The way things work in the NBA, Grunfeld almost has to give Wall what he wants, even though Wall probably doesn’t deserve it at the moment. Often, when teams take a wait-and-see approach, players get miffed and then bolt when they become unrestricted free agents. The Wizards can’t afford to lose Wall, but handing out a huge contract to an unproven commodity has to give them unpleasant flashbacks.

The Wizards gave Arenas a $111 million extension despite his immaturity and history of knee injuries. They rewarded Andray Blatche with $28 million despite the big empty space between his ears. Depending on the size of the salary cap, Wall could receive a contract for as much as $79 million or $81 million.

Wall’s best basketball should be ahead of him, and the Wizards are confident they’ve seen enough to roll with him long-term. But the Wizards’ poor record in picking winners brings one thought to mind: Buyer beware.

For more by Jason Reid, go to washingtonpost.com/reid.

Jason Reid is an idiot. I'm glad he's getting torn to shreds over what he wrote. I heard him on the radio today defending his article and it was sad hearing him backpeddle. He kept saying it's not about the tats...my question is, why write about them? He did his best Skip Bayless impression and it's pathetic. Washington Post should be embarrassed having this guy on payroll.

Well he is the best player on the team. It is difficult to hold his lack of all-star appearances against him. He has played for a terrible franchise with a group of players whose collective basketball IQ wouldn't hit triple digits. Feel sorry for the kid.

That was one of the stupidest articles I've ever read. Dude is literally saying they should be cautious of resigning Wall because he decided to get Tattoos after saying he wouldn't when he was 19....get out of here. And Lebron never tried to appeal to the mass market??? :rofl: :rofl:

That was one of the stupidest articles I've ever read. Dude is literally saying they should be cautious of resigning Wall because he decided to get Tattoos after saying he wouldn't when he was 19....get out of here. And Lebron never tried to appeal to the mass market??? :rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing. Wall is a young dude, let him live. So because he isn't an all-star he can't change his stance on tattoos? Jason Reid should be fired for this piece of crap article.

^ pretty nice interview

When i read your post i was like :x but after reading the interview i read its a healthy weight

Dude is really strong

^ pretty nice interview

When i read your post i was like :x but after reading the interview i read its a healthy weight

Dude is really strong

Wall is what 6 foot 4? 210lb at that height is solid for a basketball player given all the cardio they do. But Adrian Peterson is 6 foot 1 and around 220lbs and i remember when portis played for the skins dude was 5 foot 11 (listed...i think that was gracious) and was around 220lbs as well.

Today is the big day....come on Otto!

Last edited:
Jason Reid articles are usually garbage. Dude hypes Lebron in every other article and bashes Washington teams/players in between. Forget the Washington Post, he should take his "talents" to the Miami Herald.

^ pretty nice interview

Dude is really strong

Wall is what 6 foot 4? 210lb at that height is solid for a basketball player given all the cardio they do. But Adrian Peterson is 6 foot 1 and around 220lbs and i remember when portis played for the skins dude was 5 foot 11 (listed...i think that was gracious) and was around 220lbs as well.

Today is the big day....come on Otto!

I thought it wasnt solid muscle and that he gained it while lounging this off-season

I really want to dude to kill it on the boards this season

^ we need to have more faith
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/0...x-len-no-1-orlando-likely-to-trade-no-2-pick/
The Wizards, according to a source, have placed Anthony Bennett at the top of their board. Bennett combined with John Wall and Bradley Beal would give the Wizards a dynamic threesome with plenty of offensive versatility. While some in the organization still like Otto Porter and think he is a safe choice, Bennett is the guy they are leaning toward.
And there you have it.  

Most of the mocks have the Wizards taking Porter, as is sane and logical.  I firmly believe they'll pick Bennett, thus dooming both. 

Incompetence finds a way.

If Otto is available and they don't draft him.... I promise Ernie won't make it through the night. Otto just makes too much sense.

Otto wants to wear #35 on behalf of Otto Sr.

Last I recall, there's a Wizard with a big $*@ tattoo of the #35 on his arm :lol: :lol: :lol:

Otto wants to wear #35 on behalf of Otto Sr.

Last I recall, there's a Wizard with a big $*@ tattoo of the #35 on his arm
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Booker tweeted "Disrespect?" 
laugh.gif

Cleveland saved us from ourselves and probably saved Grunfeld's job by reaching on Bennett with the #1 pick.

I'm pleased with the Wizards' choices.  Realistically, there are probably only a couple of future All Stars in the class.  Is Porter one of them?  Probably not - but everyone expects that he'll be a solid player in this league for many years, and this was a pick we absolutely could not afford to miss with.  He'll come in right away and make a difference on this team, and that's exactly what we needed.  

Immediately after the Rice trade was announced, I started hearing it from friends who felt we'd added another knucklehead to the locker room, but I'm fine with that move.  I'd like to think the d league was the best thing to happen to Rice.  He came on very strong down the stretch, didn't sulk, and performed well in a gritty and unglamorous league with older, more seasoned competition.  We didn't address our need for a backup point guard, but that's a position you want veteran leadership and stability from anyway.  It's best met through free agency.  Glen Rice Jr. is a guy who will compete hard in camp and could not only make our roster, but make his way into the rotation.  For a second round selection, that's a win in my book.  

This was a draft absolutely filled with head scratching moves and outright debacles in the making.  I'm so glad that, for once, we weren't attached to ANY of them.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom