Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Noel fell to us I'm not sure I'd wanna take him. His offensive game is so limited and he's so thin. He doesnt have a strong enough base or enough size to really defend/bang in the post. He can be a shotblocker and get easy to buckets but so what? What is separating him from Chris Andersen right now? At least Birdman hits his free throws too :lol:

I dunno, just seems like being 6-10 and jumping really high isn't enough of a skillset to warrant such a high pick. Wasn't that the extent of Vesley's talents? (I'm sure Noel will be better than Vesley's, but still I don't see him bein a franchise or star player).

walltattoo613a.jpg

More on Wall's Tats

If Noel is there at #2, Orlando is sitting pretty. They can either take him or trade back. As far as the latter, you just know teams will be calling to move up to take him if he's there.

Wizards need scoring in the worst way, and Bennett can get buckets. What people sleep on is Porter can score as well.

If the latest rumors are to be believed, Cleveland's actually considering Alex Len at #1.  I certainly don't understand it, but let's go along with it for the sake of discussion.

Now we would actually have a choice between Porter and McLemore or Porter and Noel.  Would you still prefer Porter in such a scenario?

Every point guard's dream, I'm sure.
I think I would take McLemore....

What happened to Shabazz Muhammad stock? He was the number one player out of high school last year smh....

There's not a need for McLemore. I could see Cleveland taking him if they believe Dion Waiters is a really a 6th man. But Beal isn't a 6th man...he's the teams starting 2 for the next 10 years and I don't think the Wizards are dumb enough to use a 3rd pick on a reserve.
Even if Noel fell to us I'm not sure I'd wanna take him. His offensive game is so limited and he's so thin. He doesnt have a strong enough base or enough size to really defend/bang in the post. He can be a shotblocker and get easy to buckets but so what? What is separating him from Chris Andersen right now? At least Birdman hits his free throws too 
laugh.gif

I dunno, just seems like being 6-10 and jumping really high isn't enough of a skillset to warrant such a high pick. Wasn't that the extent of Vesley's talents? (I'm sure Noel will be better than Vesley's, but still I don't see him bein a franchise or star player).
People are making too big of a deal about Noel's weight. If not for the injury...he would have came into the combine weighing more than Anthony Davis did last season. I don't get the Birdman comparison. Obviously, whoever takes him is going to have to develop them like most big men have to be developed coming into the league. If you think his peak potential is Birdman...I don't know what to tell you. I don't think anyone is drafting him with the believe that he's going to be a finished product putting up 20 and 10 in his first year. However, in this draft...being a world class shot blocker and someone who can hit the boards with anybody is someone worth taking with a top 3 pick.

Man hopefully this is our last time at the top of the lottery seeing the playoffs, makes me realize it would be ill to see the wiz back there

We just need more pieces...

Man hopefully this is our last time at the top of the lottery seeing the playoffs, makes me realize it would be ill to see the wiz back there

We just need more pieces...
I felt the same way man, I would love to see the Wiz back in the mix. It was cool to see some fresh faces doing well in the playoffs (Paul George, Hibbert, Kawhi Leonard, etc). Hopefully that will be Wall and Brad Beal soon :pimp:

Nothing better than rooting for a young team and seeing them come up.

Even though they didn't win, I bet Pacers fans (their real OG fans) got more enjoyment out of following their team this year than the Heat "fans" with their 2k roster.

Aside from drafting John Wall and Bradley Beal—two no-brainers (and one-and-done college players)—just look at the pattern of foreign-schooled or experienced college players that Grunfeld has followed since Leonsis took majority ownership prior to the 2010 NBA Draft:

Kevin Seraphin – 17th overall, 2010 – Born in the French Guiana in 1989, Seraphin only started playing basketball in 2004. But in 2006 he joined Cholet Basketball Academy in France where he developed under dedicated basketball instruction until entering the 2010 draft.

Trevor Booker – 23rd overall, 2010 – Spent four years in college playing for Oliver Purnell at Clemson.

Hamady N’diaye – 56th overall, 2010 – From Senegal, spent four years at Rutgers, won Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Jan Vesely – 6th overall, 2011 – Groomed in Czech club system, started playing professionally at age 17 in Slovenia and went to play in Serbia at age 18.

Chris Singleton – 18th overall, 2011 – Spent three years at Florida State playing for former Wizards coach Leonard Hamilton.

Shelvin Mack – 34th overall, 2011 – Spent three years at Butler, played in back-to-back NCAA title games.

Tomas Satoransky – 32nd overall, 2012 – Groomed in Czech club system, has played in the Spanish ACB League since 2009 (age 18).
Aside from drafting John Wall and Bradley Beal.... every other player on that list has been a waste of time.  I don't even see Seraphin sticking around, as they'd be foolish to overpay to keep him.

Not a very "Spurs-like" list of draft selections, and certainly not the way to prove that Washington's on the right track.  Those two "one and done" "no brainer" draft picks are the foundation of the team, not the international guys.  How is that closer to the Spurs' model than OKC, a team with international CONTRIBUTORS, not international bench fodder, and a GM plucked straight from the Spurs' front office.  

You don't replicate the Spurs' success just by drafting players from overseas.  The Spurs have the best international scouting program in the league.  Somehow, I doubt they would've taken Vesely and Pecherov.  Literally every foreign player Grunfeld's drafted for us has been a bust, with the POSSIBLE exception of Seraphin.  (If you're picked 17th and you stick around the league for a decade, you're ahead of the curve.) 

That list isn't a pattern of excellence; it's a pattern of incompetence.  The whole thesis of the article suggests that Grunfeld was held down by Pollin and now he's free to pursue the Spurs model.  Nonsense.  He drafted international players while Pollin was owner, he signed Fabricio Oberto when Pollin was owner, he eschewed young players in favor of established veterans while Pollin was owner.  (Trading established veterans for young players isn't necessarily a "Spurs move" anyway, as the Kawhi Leonard trade proved.)

This just sounds like somebody who's been duped by "TedsTake."  We're every bit the penny pinching bottom feeders we were in the Pollin era.  We still sell draft picks.  We still cut corners.  We're still deathly allergic to the luxury tax.  Literally the only thing that's changed, aside from the uniforms, is that a few ping pong balls have bounced our way.  Without Beal and Wall, this article doesn't get written and there is no positive spin for the Leonsis era.   

Our draft record isn't one of a nascent Spurs dynasty.  It's a monument to failure. 

This is just another bad team with a PR problem that decided to clean house, not unlike Portland following its 'Jailblazer' debacle.  

Going with four year players and international guys is the tried and true means of kowtowing to "conservative" fans who want clean cut, "high character" players who represent the antithesis of Allen Iverson.  

The Wizards' clean-up act is no different than the NBA's series of edicts designed to placate racists outraged by the Ron Artest brawl.  

For reference: the Pacers/Pistons brawl occurred in 2004.

The very next year, the NBA instituted its dress code AND the one and done rule.  They also launched "NBA Cares."

If you think that's a coincidence, there's a Blatche in Brooklyn I'd like to trade you. 

There's not a need for McLemore. I could see Cleveland taking him if they believe Dion Waiters is a really a 6th man. But Beal isn't a 6th man...he's the teams starting 2 for the next 10 years and I don't think the Wizards are dumb enough to use a 3rd pick on a reserve.

People are making too big of a deal about Noel's weight. If not for the injury...he would have came into the combine weighing more than Anthony Davis did last season. I don't get the Birdman comparison. Obviously, whoever takes him is going to have to develop them like most big men have to be developed coming into the league. If you think his peak potential is Birdman...I don't know what to tell you. I don't think anyone is drafting him with the believe that he's going to be a finished product putting up 20 and 10 in his first year. However, in this draft...being a world class shot blocker and someone who can hit the boards with anybody is someone worth taking with a top 3 pick.
I never liked the idea for drafting for need in the NBA. Drafting for need got Portland burned twice. I think you should always take the best player available. I just think in that scenario that McLemore would be the best player on the board but I could be wrong

I never liked the idea for drafting for need in the NBA. Drafting for need got Portland burned twice. I think you should always take the best player available. I just think in that scenario that McLemore would be the best player on the board but I could be wrong
You never draft for need unless you have a certified star at the same position, or you just drafted/signed somebody new at that position...it isnt smart to draft back to back SG's in the top 5 unless McLemore was coming in with some LeBron type talent..wich he is not

The Wizards' clean-up act is no different than the NBA's series of edicts designed to placate racists outraged by the Ron Artest brawl.  

For reference: the Pacers/Pistons brawl occurred in 2004.
The very next year, the NBA instituted its dress code AND the one and done rule.  They also launched "NBA Cares."

If you think that's a coincidence, there's a Blatche in Brooklyn I'd like to trade you. 

Im not saying those arent coincidences but wasnt the one and done rule being thrown around, people wanted a rule of that nature implemented for a while, and i thought it was being put into motion long before the malice at the palace but that brawl was the final domino that led to its creation

I had four tickets to the Nats vs Rockies game that starts in 5 minutes. I can't make it and I was just given the tickets this morning. I know it's late but figured if any local cats on NT want them....

They are yours.

I can't even justify doing up there and selling them or hitting craigslist as I have a busy day of Yard Work I am so eagerly looking forward to. :smh:

I think Matt on NT is taking two....so that leaves two left.

Let me know.

Thanks

1. I don't think McLemore would be the best player on the board. There's a reason why he's all over the place right now on mocks going anywhere from 2-6.

2. Portland didn't really draft based on need in 2007. Virtually every damn GM in the league thought that Oden was a can't miss next great dominant big. He would have gone #1 regardless of who had the pick.

^ True, I remember everyone saying Greg Oden was the cant miss pick and everyone wanted him, while durant was elite and had all nba potential as well just oden a higher ceiling

Does the philosophy of drafting the best on the board apply in the second round cause im thinking if we dont grab otto we need to be praying reggie bullock drops to us

I had four tickets to the Nats vs Rockies game that starts in 5 minutes. I can't make it and I was just given the tickets this morning. I know it's late but figured if any local cats on NT want them....

They are yours.

I can't even justify doing up there and selling them or hitting craigslist as I have a busy day of Yard Work I am so eagerly looking forward to. :smh:

I think Matt on NT is taking two....so that leaves two left.

Let me know.

Thanks

I wish I saw this post this morning :smh:

Today was my day off :lol: :frown:

The team has gotten better hopefully we can keep wall and beal together even tho i wouldnt blame him for leaving smh

What ya'll think of this alleged talk of the #3 pick for Luol Deng?

I don't like it one bit. Luol is good on a good team. But I don't want to trade Otto for a guy who is 28 and has only played 2 full seasons out of a possible 10. Seems like a classic Wizards move.

I don't like it one bit. Luol is good on a good team. But I don't want to trade Otto for a guy who is 28 and has only played 2 full seasons out of a possible 10. Seems like a classic Wizards move.

From what I've been reading, all the rumors are coming from the Bulls and they're just gauging Deng's value.

It would be such a dumb move if it goes through. Hopefully these rumors have the same merit as the ones that had us dealing Beal for Rudy Gay.

To make matters worse, it's #3 AND Okafor.  

He's not only the team's best rebounder but he also becomes a big expiring contract if we're in the market for a mid-season trade.  If we lose Okafor to free agency, at least we gain plenty of cap space to make some additions.  

If we overpay Deng, we add yet ANOTHER injury-plagued player who never quite lived up to his potential while decimating both the team's front line and any hope of creating cap space next summer.  

You can NOT be a good defensive team unless you're also a good rebounding team.  Okafor for Deng in and of itself would be problematic.  Okafor for Deng AND #3 assures that the Wizards will be softer in the middle than Kevin Duckworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom