**WASHINGTON WIZARDS 2012 Off-Season Thread ** Welcome to DC, Bradley Beal!!

pimp.gif
Can't wait for that Wizard Scrimmege

You can't trade players claimed off the amnesty waiver wire until July 1.

With Billups, he would be a free agent by then. And which team is really going to commit 3 years to Arenas at this point?

I hadn't realized that players were ineligible to be traded until July 1, so signing Billups would make little sense for that purpose.  
However, it looks like other teams ARE bidding for his services, knowing that he isn't likely to walk away from $14 million by retiring.  As for Arenas, all you're talking about is committing to 3 years at the veteran minimum of $1.4 million.  Washington wouldn't have been a good fit for obvious reasons, but another rebuilding club should've given him a look.  The Orlando trade was a disaster because of expectations and salary.  In terms of production, what Arenas, in his diminished state, brings to the table is at least worthy of a minimum salary over the next 3 seasons.  

No sense in spending just because you have it. None of the FA's who realistically would have gone to DC, would put the Wizards over the top. What's the point in building another 5/6 seed at best team? I think the Wizards are in the position to build their team like OKC. Young talent + role playing vets. They have their Kevin Durant IMO (w/ Wall)...the '12 draft could legitimately land them their Westbrook with the talent pool. 

So I wouldn't say they're letting cap space go to "waste". More like preserving it for when it'll really matter.

How many more young players do the Wizards need to stock?  We've seen this movie before.  In today's NBA, the minute you draft a "franchise player," you're on the clock.  You have two contracts to get it done.  He'll play out his rookie deal, you'll pick up the team option, and then you'll sign whatever max offer sheet he may get as a restricted free agent.  After that, you're facing unrestricted free agency and unless you've PROVEN to that player that you're in the process of building a contender you can expect to see him walk away and, in many cases, take less money to play for a winning team in a big market.  Bird rights give drafting teams an edge, but in many cases that advantage is more than mitigated by the potential endorsement boon players receive by signing with one of the big market clubs.  

Lottery picks are a gamble.  Go back and look at any NBA draft in history and look at the top 10 selections.  There are no guarantees.  There are PLENTY of busts even in the top 3.  Wizards fans should know that as well as anyone, having selected two of the biggest busts ever to be drafted with the top pick.  

What free agents are out there in 2012 that would make this team better?  We're not getting Dwight Howard.  We don't need a point guard.  Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, et al. are restricted.  Camby, Duncan, Garnett, and Ray Allen will be receiving social security checks.  

We could've used this offseason and our heaps of cap room to sign four year contracts that were extremely front-loaded, so that the final two years of the deals paid those players well under their market value.  At that point, you could then trade them for other known commodities.  That trick won't work as readily next season, because JaVale McGee becomes a restricted free agent will almost certainly draw an inflated contract, similar to Deandre Jordan.  What's the plan then?  Keep sucking and praying the lottery picks pan out?  

The harder the salary cap is, the more essential it becomes to secure talent at advantageous prices.  Teams that overpay get stuck.  Teams that underpay enjoy better productivity AND better flexibility.  Guess which way the Wizards are headed now? 

just RSVPd for the scrimmage..hopefully get my hands on a Wall jersey 
pimp.gif
.. see you all there

^good event/atmosphere for the family & kids.... my nephew had a good time...

as far as the scrimmage though
indifferent.gif
... this dude blatche hit 3 treys from downtown and was begging for the rock each and every time.. reminded me of the game when he was so thirsty for the triple double

Michael Lee @MrMichaelLee 21s

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Nick Young has decided to accept his 1-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer from #wizards, sources say: wapo.st/uVUUJT

He'll be elsewhere next year....oh well.

Anyone else think John Wall hasn't learned the idea of change of pace yet? Damn dude SLOW DOWN sometime.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Anyone else think John Wall hasn't learned the idea of change of pace yet? Damn dude SLOW DOWN sometime.
well after game 1 last night this is painfully evident he hasn't learned yet, drawing fouls is cool and all but it seems like he don't ever finish these wild drives to the hoop. Always bricks the layup or gets stuck in the air and forces a bad pass (which effectively ended the game last night)

Not ready to jump off the bridge after 1 game because there were some positives, Crawford and Young got off to a sizzling start but we got idiots like Blatche throwing guys under the bus already
30t6p3b.gif
, I want him gone so bad
mad.gif

Great atmosphere last night, it felt like a real game and that people were actually there to see the home team instead of the opposing team.  Hopefully now Wall releases that he's not going to get those close calls when he drives to hole like other players in the league, or at least he's not going to get the calls just yet.  You have to "earn" your way to get that.  Can't believe we blew that lead, but some things still haven't changed yet. 

Kris Humphries was getting booed every time he touched the ball or got his name announced.  In the 4th quarter when he went to the free throw line the crowd started chanting "Reggie Bush",
laugh.gif
 cold world.
we got idiots like Blatche throwing guys under the bus already  

What did he say??

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Great atmosphere last night, it felt like a real game and that people were actually there to see the home team instead of the opposing team.  Hopefully now Wall releases that he's not going to get those close calls when he drives to hole like other players in the league, or at least he's not going to get the calls just yet.  You have to "earn" your way to get that.  Can't believe we blew that lead, but some things still haven't changed yet. 

Kris Humphries was getting booed every time he touched the ball or got his name announced.  In the 4th quarter when he went to the free throw line the crowd started chanting "Reggie Bush",
laugh.gif
 cold world.

What did he say??
RT @drayblatche: I may have had a bad game but that's cause I need the ball in the post not taking jump shots all game

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

laugh.gif
 cold world.

What did he say??
From his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/drayblatche
I may have had a bad game but that's cause I need the ball in the post not taking jump shots all game

From the BF Blog
"I said that I need the ball in the paint to be effective. You can't keep having me pick and pop and shoot jump shots. Give me the ball in the paint. That's where I'm most effective at. I've been saying that since training camp. I need the ball in the paint. I don't want to be the pick and pop guy I used to be, because that's not working for me. As I was saying, when the double team came, I kicked it out and we made good plays."

"I'm not saying the offense has to run through me," he continued. "But I prefer to be in the paint."

Blatche was asked to confirm if plays are called for him to pick and pop.

"It's our typical plays," he said. "But in a situation like this, you need to make them pay by throwing it down to me. If they're going to double-team me, let me kick it out, swing it around and somebody's going to get an open three. It's all about rotation and getting open shots. Why are we making it hard on ourselves?"

For the record, Blatche had two dunks, but otherwise missed all four of his shots inside of nine feet. Maybe that wasn't a great plan.

Told of Blatche's comments, John Wall made a face and seemed caught off guard.

"I don't know," he said. "In practice, he gets the ball on pick and pops, and in practice, he gets the ball on the block. Whatever the play is called, that's where the ball has to go."

Link

His quote from January...I'll put it in as large font as I can
"If anybody watched me grow into this team and into this league, they'd know that I've never been a back-to-the-basket, bang-bang down player.  I'm more of a face-up and a finesse player. That's who I am.  I can't force myself to be a different player that I'm not."

Link

I hate this guy...I really do.  Probably my least favorite DC athlete EVER. 

As far as Wall...young man needs to learn to SLOW DOWN.  He has a tendency to go too fast and thus put up wild/out of control shots.  If he can let the game come to him rather than the other way around, he'll be 10x more effective.  I expect a much better showing tomorrow night from him. 

Another thing, I'm LOVING what Ronny Turiaf is bringing to the table.  Dude is so damn smart on the floor.  Haven't had a front court player with his caliber of b-ball IQ in over 10 years.  No joke.  Dude is like an extension of the coach while on the floor.  He's got his limitations, but he's exactly the type of player this team needs. 

*Chris Singleton will be starting in the very near future.  One thing I was wondering...Why didn't Singleton see more time guarding D-Will last night?  I would have much rather had Wall (who struggled) chasing around Gaines/Morrow.  Singleton has the ability to be one of the most dominant perimeter defenders in the NBA.  He's going to be a good one. 

Not a wizards fan, but I saw the first half of last night's game bc I like Wall and Jordan Crawford, and I have no idea how you guys lost. I turned it off thinking the Wizards look like they're going to be a problem this year. You got fast and athletic players who can play defense and get out in transition at each position, and that first quarter was pretty good basketball. I' m guessing somewhere along the way, the defense and hustle went away, and people started chucking (which is usually what happens with young teams), but from what I saw it looks like the Wizards have a team that should make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed at worst if they can get their $*%% together.

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

from what I saw it looks like the Wizards have a team that should make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed at worst if they can get their $*%% together.
laugh.gif

*sigh*

More of the same....

The amnesty clause NEEDS to be used asap on Blatche. This dude is sucking the life out of the team.

Also, Singleton needs to start.

Yeah, more of the same indeed. Watching Andray Blatche play basketball is profoundly depressing. Sadly, it seems inevitable that the Wiz will be in the running for worst team in the league this year, not to mention the dumbest. The fact that we lost in the way we did to that putrid Nets squad was a sign of things to come.

Seriously, does Flip run any other plays outside of an iso? I couldn't believe the way we collapsed against the Nets on opening night, and some of the shots we were taking, even out of timeouts. Just awful.

Good game last night against the Hawks.........................

1. I hate Za Za Petruilia (don't care about spelling)
2. I hate Blatche

It just seems like we stopped caring last night for some reason.  I completely agree about John Wall being a mad man on some breaks (that aren't even fast breaks) but the kid plays hard and wants to be great.  You can tell he wants to win.  He has fire to play the game.  And I have faith that he will mature and be great I just hope he is a wizard when that occurs.

Other then that, Nick Young last night hit some tough shots.  I feel bad for dude some times, only player on our team that is a pure scorer. Not too much else positive to take from last night.  Our defense looked shaky, and committed way too many fouls.  They were in the penalty with something like 8 mins left in the half. 

Anyone see John Wall yell at Flip "Get him out of the game"?

Give you a wild guess as to who he was referring to.

Thanks ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg and DoubleJ's for posting that information.  DoubleJ's is right, the anesty clause NEEDS to be used for Blatche immediately if not sooner.  I'm sure Wall and Blatche are going to bump heads again before the season is over if not by the end of the week. 

Back
Top Bottom