**Washington Wizards Offseason Thread** Blatche re-upped....5 years/35 mil

People fail to remember how good Gilbert was pre injury. I know it seems like a lifetime ago, but Gilbert was putting up close to LeBron numbers.....just sayin.

The Wiz need to put Young in the starting lineup and at least 30minutes. He can average around 20
Javale Mcgee should start. He can average 12ppg, 10rpg, 3 bpg
Arenas needs to be gone
Blatche should stay the starting PF
Boykins is 34 so he should be gone+the team dont need a attraction
Wall should start obviously at the one
Oberto gone
Livingstone should stay
SIngletone should stay cause of is defense
Miller should start at SF
Thornton should be a 6th man subbing for miller and blatche
Josh Howard gone
Crittenton gone
FOye.......I wish he stays but he never lived up to his potential
WIth the cap space they can sign a star or make their bench stronger
So it should be a interesting summer for the Wizards. I hope they can improve next season

Oh and I hope a jersey redesign will happen. Its been 12 years since they introduced the current set

Brondiesel wrote:
Oh and I hope a jersey redesign will happen. Its been 12 years since they introduced the current set
Looks like that could happen soon, just not for this upcoming season...

Ted Leonsis tells National Press Club that Wizards have yet to decide on No. 1 draft pick, team colors

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 22, 2010
Ted Leonsis said Friday the Washington Wizards have yet to decide on two of the issues that have most mobilized the team's fan base: whom to take with the No. 1 overall selection in next month's NBA draft, and whether to change the team's color scheme and nickname.

Speaking at a National Press Club luncheon, Leonsis -- who's in the process of purchasing the NBA franchise -- said that he has heard from fans on both issues.

"You know, one of the things that I've learned, everyone's an expert," he joked when asked about the No. 1 pick. "There's consensus on who we should take from experts, and they might be right. But we have to work [players] out, we have to interview them, we have to do our research, we have to compare and contrast, we have to articulate what type of system would we be playing, we have to build that system and bring in other picks. My goal is to get more first-round picks.

"And so there's a lot that goes into it," he concluded. "And so I'd like to share empty calories with everyone and tell you who we're gonna pick, and everyone would be excited, but it would not be true."

Leonsis was similarly noncommittal when asked about the team's nickname and color scheme. The franchise has been known as the Wizards since the 1997-98 season, when Abe Pollin said the District's gun violence and the 1995 assassination of Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, a friend of Pollin's, necessitated a change.

But many fans have requested a return to the red, white and blue color scheme used when the team was known as the Bullets. Leonsis's Washington Capitals went back to their original colors beginning in 2007, and the change -- combined with the team's increased success -- sparked a surge in merchandise sales and the "Rock the Red" slogan.

There was mild applause from the Press Club crowd on Friday when Leonsis was asked about the possibility of a similar change for the Wizards.

"I get lots of e-mails, and I see all the comments and quotes," he said. "I don't want to be someone who does [things] to make people like me or think I'm listening to them. And there's so much work to do, to figure it out. And that would be a part of everything.

"But it's not the first decision that we have to make. I probably will like red colors more than the teal blue that they have, but there's a lot that goes into it. And I intend to listen to people, but I also think Mr. Pollin made a personal decision, and I want to understand it, and I want to pay the appropriate respect that a decision like that would deserve."

Leonsis said if he wanted to, it would be impossible to make any change for next season.

He also reiterated his support for building through the draft as opposed to free agency, and said the Wizards, Capitals and Mystics would get priority in Verizon Center's scheduling decisions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/21/AR2010052104555.html

I just looked at the FA list for 2011. If they dont get Melo its going to be hard for them.
I see them trying to trade Gilbert. If one of the top guys in FA decides they are going to embrace Gilbert as a player and person thats the best hope as for value.

This idea of buying out Gilbert is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard of. If you think that John Wall will not be his own man off the court and shy away from any negativity that Gilbert might bring then he aint the PG for you. Derrick Rose is in his home town and he is not engulfed in the drama that occurs here on a daily basis.

I believe Gil can be a negative on the court and you have to consider this in a decision you make, but to buy him out, while his salary still counts against your cap is moronic at this point.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

he's actually a kind, funny dude

Actually he's not.  Gilbert is immature, and that's just for starters.
prior to the gun incident, what else had he done? when had Arenas' name ever come up in the news negatively? he took a dump in a teammates shoe, that was OD... but what else has he really done

the guy has done a lot for the community and the city of Washington DC, and does a lot for fans as well. i will agree that he is immature, but people are bashing his character far too much.

Originally Posted by dland24

People fail to remember how good Gilbert was pre injury. I know it seems like a lifetime ago, but Gilbert was putting up close to LeBron numbers.....just sayin.
Even post-injury (before the suspension) dude was playing good basketball. 

*and as far as Leonsis' comments....I think (unfortunately) the Wizards name will stay....the color scheme WILL go.  Even the seats in the Verizon center will be reupholstered from that God-awful purple, to red.  <----just a guess. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*and as far as Leonsis' comments....I think (unfortunately) the Wizards name will stay....the color scheme WILL go.  Even the seats in the Verizon center will be reupholstered from that God-awful purple, to red.  <----just a guess. 

Im starting to think the biggest problem with that team was Jamison. He doesnt defend, and him not being a better post presance made the situation more difficult.
That team you put out at the beginning of the season should have been a playoff team. Jamison getting hurt should not have made that much a difference. Im still trying to figure out what the main problem was with that start to the season.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Im starting to think the biggest problem with that team was Jamison. He doesnt defend, and him not being a better post presance made the situation more difficult.
That team you put out at the beginning of the season should have been a playoff team. Jamison getting hurt should not have made that much a difference. Im still trying to figure out what the main problem was with that start to the season.
Jamison was a huge part of the problem.  When $+$% started hitting the fan, he was always one of the first guys to point the finger while never placing any blame on himself.  On top of it all, he never really took a liking to Blatche.  Blatche is a knucklehead, but James Singleton was the first guy who Blatche respected as a vet.  That should have been Jamison, but those two clashed more than anything. 

Caron Butler was an issue as well.  He was VERY bitter at his contract situation when Jamison and Arenas were both re-upped and it was reflected in the way he played this past season in DC.  He earned the nickname "hero ball," because he would always try to take matters in his own hands to try to win games.  His attempts at this usually failed. 

Andray Blatche is a better player (right now) than Jamison.  There were a lot of politics and loyalties involved in the decisions made as to why Blatche couldn't get consistent minutes while Jamison was on the roster.  With Jamison out of the picture, Blatche showed what he could do. 

I can't wait to see how Blatche's game develops this offseason.  Dude is a match-up nightmare for 4's/5's because he can stretch the floor.  Don't let his lack of athleticism fool you...dude can hoop. 

Jamison was a huge part of the problem.  When $+$% started hitting the fan, he was always one of the first guys to point the finger while never placing any blame on himself.  On top of it all, he never really took a liking to Blatche.  Blatche is a knucklehead, but James Singleton was the first guy who Blatche respected as a vet.  That should have been Jamison, but those two clashed more than anything. 

Caron Butler was an issue as well.  He was VERY bitter at his contract situation when Jamison and Arenas were both re-upped and it was reflected in the way he played this past season in DC.  He earned the nickname "hero ball," because he would always try to take matters in his own hands to try to win games.  His attempts at this usually failed. 

Andray Blatche is a better player (right now) than Jamison.  There were a lot of politics and loyalties involved in the decisions made as to why Blatche couldn't get consistent minutes while Jamison was on the roster.  With Jamison out of the picture, Blatche showed what he could do. 

I can't wait to see how Blatche's game develops this offseason.  Dude is a match-up nightmare for 4's/5's because he can stretch the floor.  Don't let his lack of athleticism fool you...dude can hoop. 

I noticed Caron's shot selection was not that great in Dallas.
Antawn struck me as the type who could be giving those leaks on the Gilbert situation.
Look at this picture again
gilbert-playing-guns-huddle.jpg

Now compare that to Antawn and his statement for the fans.
I understand there being some politics involved but that stunt was planned, and you didnt do anything about it then?
I was personally struck by those statements Jamison made.
That team didnt have a leader. I was under the assumption Jamison was the leader of the team, and his words (while he was injured) could have gotten them back together. But that wasnt the case.
In the years previous they were not talented enough or with the right coaching imo to go further in the playoffs, but last year I felt like they would have been the "Atlanta" except would have given Orlando a fight.

Im not a fan of Washington per say, but I think that the Gilbert situation is VERY interesting.

I really would like to know what is causing Washington to react in such a negative fashion to a Gilbert and Wall backcourt.
Yes Gilbert is goofy, but if you have not spent time with the man since he got away from his situation what is the point of making it an emphasis to trade him. And what would be the point of a buyout.
I also feel like Washington is an underrated situation for Lebron, and feel like instead of waiting another year they could go after him.
Make him and Wall the faces of the franchise, take pressure off Gilbert.
Lebron could become more of a post presance. And you have a group of young guys who are way more talented depth wise than Chicago, NY, Miami, or even Cleveland.

The Wizards can blame all of this turmoil on Arenas if they want. but all of the nonsense starts at the top. If Arenas is such a cancer then why did he get such a fat contract (he actually took less than what was originally offered) with such questionable knees? This is why I haven't been able to deal with the "Wizards" since C-Webb was doing his thing. The Wizards' track record with or without Arenas has been pretty piss-poor. I hope Wall will be able to overcome such incompetent leadership.

The thing is, they're using Arenas as a scapegoat for their failure. I had the Wizards around the 5-7th seed before the season started provided they were healthy.

There was just no chemistry whenever they stepped onto the court.

Gil and Wall can co-exist in the backcourt IMO..

Leonsis will give Arenas a chance to prove himself next season, I hope he can defy all the doubters wrong.

I noticed Caron's shot selection was not that great in Dallas.
Antawn struck me as the type who could be giving those leaks on the Gilbert situation.
Look at this picture again
gilbert-playing-guns-huddle.jpg

Now compare that to Antawn and his statement for the fans.
I understand there being some politics involved but that stunt was planned, and you didnt do anything about it then?
I was personally struck by those statements Jamison made.
That team didnt have a leader. I was under the assumption Jamison was the leader of the team, and his words (while he was injured) could have gotten them back together. But that wasnt the case.
In the years previous they were not talented enough or with the right coaching imo to go further in the playoffs, but last year I felt like they would have been the "Atlanta" except would have given Orlando a fight.

Im not a fan of Washington per say, but I think that the Gilbert situation is VERY interesting.

I really would like to know what is causing Washington to react in such a negative fashion to a Gilbert and Wall backcourt.
Yes Gilbert is goofy, but if you have not spent time with the man since he got away from his situation what is the point of making it an emphasis to trade him. And what would be the point of a buyout.
I also feel like Washington is an underrated situation for Lebron, and feel like instead of waiting another year they could go after him.
Make him and Wall the faces of the franchise, take pressure off Gilbert.
Lebron could become more of a post presance. And you have a group of young guys who are way more talented depth wise than Chicago, NY, Miami, or even Cleveland.
Nope (to the bold).  There were many guys who THOUGHT they were leaders, but in actuality...they had no followers or respect.  Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.  Antawn absolved himself from any blame.  When things were going bad, everything fell solely on the shoulders of the younger players.  Sure, Tawn could give you 20/10 on any given night, but he was about as efficient as a traffic cone on the defensive end of the floor.  If you are a leader, you have to shoulder some of the blame when things aren't going well.  If you're constantly *****ing and moaning without looking in the mirror at yourself, who exactly is going to follow your words? 

Butler was the most selfish player I've seen in many years.  Everything was gravy up until the past year and a half.  When Jamison/Arenas were out in 2008-09, Butler became "the man."  He has always been a great second or third option on offense, but was forced into being the #1 with all the injuries that happened.  He was given the green-light by Ed Tapscott and did whatever the hell he wanted.  All that went to his head.  He was the consummate team player in his tenure in DC, but jealousy and ego got the best of him in his run.  You saw it when he went to Dallas.  He took MANY of his bad habits with him.  Forced shots, bad passes, trying to cross dudes up but not going anywhere etc....this is what we got used to watching here in DC, and it's a shame that he couldn't revert back to the "old" Caron when he was in a better situation. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but this team should have been broken up 2-3 years ago.  What set the franchise back was Abe Pollin's undying loyalty to the big 3.  Jamison shouldn't have gotten that HUGE deal when he was 32 years old and Arenas should have been let go to test FA rather than giving him 111 mil coming off of 3 major knee surgeries.  Pollin always viewed Butler/Jamison/Arenas as three guys who could deliver a championship to DC, but that couldn't have been any further from the truth.  The team wasn't built correctly and now there's going to be a rebuilding process. 

I'm happy as hell that Ted Leonsis has the keys to the car.  I know there aren't a lot of people that follow hockey, but he built the Caps into a legit team through building in the draft amongst other things.  Leonsis has made mistakes in the past, but he's learned from them.  I don't see how there's anyway they don't take John Wall.  I've seen the dude compared to everyone from Dwyane Wade to Derrick Rose.  He's about as much as a "can't miss" prospect that you can have, and he's the perfect person to make as the face of the franchise for the next 10+ years.  On that note, I just really don't believe there's room for Gilbert Arenas.  I'm sure that he and Wall could coexist in the back-court, but no matter what EG says to the press is nothing more than a bluff.  There have been plenty of other bad contracts over the years that other teams have traded for.  I'm confident that Arenas will be moved at some point this season.  If anything, he'll be given the Marbury/T-Mac treatment, but I'm not seeing anyway that he suits up for DC again. 

Arenas was made a scapegoat for a lot of things.  I think he's an idiot for what he did, but once Pollin's health got really bad and reality started to set in, they were looking for ways to break up the team.  Arenas' mess was the tip of the iceberg (if you remember, Butler/Jamison were moved after the suspension).  It started a domino effect.  There has been so much friction between the Wizards and Arenas that I don't see how the relationship can be repaired.  Another note...Grunfeld hasn't had any sort of face-to-face conversations w. Arenas since the suspension.  That should tell you something about where everything is headed. 

*I saw you mentioned Lebron....people say he has a bad relationship w. DC, but he has a GREAT relationship with Ted Leonsis.  I'm not saying that he'll land in DC, but as a darkhorse....you just never know.  Since no one knows what Bron's plans are, I think all teams that have a good amount of cap space are hopeful that #6 will come to their city.

The players union won't stand for Arenas being inactive for the next four years, Wizards don't want to go down that road. I doubt any team will bail them out either with short term contracts, how do you explain that to your fanbase? I can see him being traded to a team like the Bobcats for SJax and Diop. Two somewhat long, bad deals. Bobcats need a scorer desperately...

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

The Wizards can blame all of this turmoil on Arenas if they want. but all of the nonsense starts at the top. If Arenas is such a cancer then why did he get such a fat contract (he actually took less than what was originally offered) with such questionable knees? This is why I haven't been able to deal with the "Wizards" since C-Webb was doing his thing. The Wizards' track record with or without Arenas has been pretty piss-poor. I hope Wall will be able to overcome such incompetent leadership.

indifferent.gif

Do you know who Abe Pollin was?

^that was his two step vert. his straight vert was only 30 inches, which is weird, but irrelevant since he's never gonna be doing tip-offs out there.

and he clocked the fastest 25-yard dash, 3.1 seconds
pimp.gif

With all the money the Wiz paid Gil i feel like they should just keep him for the season at least and if anything trade him next year when Melo becomes available

From Michael Lee

[h1]Thoughts from Chicago[/h1]

The vibe I'm getting is that the Washington Wizards are going with John Wall with the No. 1 overall pick no matter what. They just don't see any reason to make that decision known right now, especially without doing their due diligence (interviews, workouts, etc).

Rest of Article

With Leonsis and EG saying they'd like to acquire more picks, how do you think they'd go about doing it?  I'm thinking Nick Young might be moved...the only untouchable IMO is Blatche.....but if a team is interested in Arenas (but wants Blatche in the deal), do you make that move JUST to get Gil and his contract off the roster? 

From Michael Lee

[h1]Thoughts from Chicago[/h1]

The vibe I'm getting is that the Washington Wizards are going with John Wall with the No. 1 overall pick no matter what. They just don't see any reason to make that decision known right now, especially without doing their due diligence (interviews, workouts, etc).

Rest of Article

With Leonsis and EG saying they'd like to acquire more picks, how do you think they'd go about doing it?  I'm thinking Nick Young might be moved...the only untouchable IMO is Blatche.....but if a team is interested in Arenas (but wants Blatche in the deal), do you make that move JUST to get Gil and his contract off the roster? 

I would. The way I see it is your franchise is rebuilding, you just came off of a 26 win season for a reason. If you think Blatche will be the type of player that can carry you to a championship, then you hold onto him. If he's just a good player in your eyes, you move him if it helps along the rebuilding process. That being said I'd still be hesitant to do it unless I got something good in return aside from just moving Gil.

Back
Top Bottom