Washington Wizards Season Thread - Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

Should the Washington Wizards trade Bradley Beal?

• Total voters
Ok so 2-0 check in.
So we beat the pacers and the bulls who didn't have Zach Levine and were down 17 and still came back and almost won.
Good to see kuz off to such a hot start

thats all i got...after watching a portion of each game im still not optimistic about anything.

DEC 17 2006

60 PIECE ON BEAN ( rip )

Gilbert Arenas after dropping 60 on Kobe Bryant ”YOU KNOW HOW MUCH P**SY IMMA GET NOW?!?!? I'M ON IVERSON LEVEL, I'M GETTING ALL THE GIRLS!!”​

ga 2.jpg

losing streak at 9 right now. We are finally falling back to form. mediocrity here we come!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAI TO THA ONE !!!

ga.jpg

HIBACHI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the 2nd time ALL YEAR full squad was a go. Not bad against a pretty damn good team. They play TONS of iso ball but BFD, kinda works, for now.

Interested to see the results IF IF IF ( huge if's ) they stay healthy. I dont gamble anymore but if they were healthy all year theyd be 5 in the East easy$

Looks like either Kuz or Rui bout ot be gone, I WISH they both stai though, you can nevah tell

beal peace.jpg

Looks like either Kuz or Rui bout ot be gone, I WISH they both stai though, you can nevah tell

Classic Wizards: we have two free agent forwards, we'll trade one and the other will either leave this summer or ink the team's newest untradeable albatross contract.

Trading Rui reminds me of Grunfeld dumping Kelly Oubre to bring back the ghost of Trevor Ariza in a vain pursuit of yet another first round exit. He felt he had to choose between Otto and Kelly, ultimately choosing Otto, whose horrendously overinflated new contract had to be dumped a year later.

It all goes back to ownership. We had a chance to clean house and install a competent front office, but the owner makes those hires and opted for affordable, familiar mediocrity over meaningful change.

Trading Rui would be a mistake they appear dead set on making. Granted, Tommy is a pitiful negotiator (Beal's been telling anyone with a microphone that he had no choice but to re-sign last summer, yet he managed to secure the league' s only no trade clause anyway), but the opportunity existed to retain Rui at a relative value due to his availability-restricted production. If we max out Kuz, we're stuck. As currently constructed, our ceiling is the "Wizards championship" of making a second round once after narrowly escaping a 4-5 first round series. We're better off bringing Rui back at a more modest number and moving him into the starting lineup.

Instead, he'll become yet another Wiz alum to contribute to someone else's championship contention and yet another lottery pick lost to Wizards' poor scouting/player development/training staff.

But hey, at least we'll still have Johnny Davis.

They really need to dump Barton, Morris, and Deni.

Barton is the 3rd highest player riding the end of the bench, Morris is no better than Goodwin IMO, and Deni somehow has regressed defensively and still can’t shoot for nothin.

Methodical Management Methodical Management , I thought about your post when I was reading this. I agree 100% that they should not let Rui go no matter what, but they seem kinda set on it, would be terrible to see it happen.

Been reading they want Kuz to stay, BUT Kuz wants out bad ! ......................... Maybe sign and trade ?

If it HAS TO BE 1 I guess Kuz would be the one casue he could get back more in return ? I get the feeling without Kuz, Rui would start to step up HUGE and give everyone whats been expected, ceiling is the roof for that guy !!!

Ima big big Monte fan, cat is a straight BUCKET ! would not shed a tear if Barton and Deni departed though

Would LOVE to see Mr Goodwin get ALOT more time, lotsa good things happenin when he is out there IMO

Fingers crossed tight as hell that management doesnt repeat history, lets wait and see, while holding breath lol

office.jpg

Methodical Management Methodical Management , I thought about your post when I was reading this. I agree 100% that they should not let Rui go no matter what, but they seem kinda set on it, would be terrible to see it happen.

Been reading they want Kuz to stay, BUT Kuz wants out bad ! ......................... Maybe sign and trade ?

If it HAS TO BE 1 I guess Kuz would be the one casue he could get back more in return ? I get the feeling without Kuz, Rui would start to step up HUGE and give everyone whats been expected, ceiling is the roof for that guy !!!

Ima big big Monte fan, cat is a straight BUCKET ! would not shed a tear if Barton and Deni departed though

Would LOVE to see Mr Goodwin get ALOT more time, lotsa good things happenin when he is out there IMO

Fingers crossed tight as hell that management doesnt repeat history, lets wait and see, while holding breath lol

office.jpg

My read on Kuz is that he’s not only looking to maximize salary, but also to maximize his role. He’s already won a championship.*

In a Wizards game broadcast earlier this year, he was quoted as suggesting that the team “run the offense through him.” If he wants to be a #1 option, that’s something he may try to explore this summer. Realistically, though, I can’t think of a single team in the league who would hand him the keys to their franchise.

He’s repeatedly characterized this as a “business decision” while being careful not to rule the Wizards out as an option. We all know the Wizards can - and likely will - pay him more than anyone else, to their eventual detriment.

That said, when you go public in expressing your interest to explore free agency at the beginning of the season, that sends a message to management - and to every other GM in the league. The media will invariably turn it into a distraction, and they have. While the “he wants out” stories are likely overblown, based on the above I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that he’d welcome a trade to put a different team in pole position to retain his services this summer, as I suspect it’s likely to come down to money.

The Wizards, being desperate, seem intent on trying to overcompensate for the possibility that they’ll be publicly spurned by a player for whom they essentially gave up two first round picks (Wall for Russ, Russ for Kuz).

So now, they’re on the verge of throwing away Rui, who represents another first round pick, so they can show Kuzma they’re “committed.” It’s sad.

Rui with Kuzma’s usage would likely put up similar numbers. I think the Wizards would like to see him play better on the defensive end, show up more consistently, and pull down more rebounds, but if they move him - as they seem hellbent on doing - I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his career followed a Bobby Portis trajectory where he winds up playing a key role on a championship team. I’ll be happy for him when that happens.

Anyone following this team should by now have learned never to overpay for second-rate talent. You get boxed in. With every iteration of this team, management continues to buy high and sell low.

With this trade, we’ll sell low on Rui to buy high on Kuzma.

groundhog day.gif

I kinda respectfully disagree on the the Rui vs. Kuz thing. Rui is an excellent mid-range scorer and corner 3pt shooter, but they’d be a significantly worse team with him playing Kuz’s minutes. Kuzma is a much better defender, ball handler, passer and overall leader. He absolutely takes some “wth” shots, but a few have been game changers.

Rui is a great 6th man (when available) but he’s not a starter on a team that’s even attempting to win. When (not if) he’s traded hopefully they can either get a big man that plays defense or a solid 3pt shooter.

If they could put together a deal with some combination of Rui, Morris, and Barton to the Spurs for Poletl and J. Richardson, I’d be happy

dang, y'all both have me convinced Rui is gone and THAT is not good in any way shape or form, I agree he is GREAT 6th man, cant figure out wy in the world they wanna dump him, F'd up IMO.

If MF'n Kuz would just buy in 100% they could roll, what is his problem ? DC a great place to be, got hella talent around him, not sure what else you would look for in a possible suitor.

"SAD" may be the word that ties this all together, I know they aint contenders but I SWEAR they could make a little noise with THIS cast and everyone healthy ( I know I know ). Porzingis said it the other day. TOTALLY different team with BB in the lime up and thats only happened twice.

That trade you put together Rootin4EverybodyBlack would be amazing cause Poetl IMO is one of those pieces that would fit perfectly.

KUZ FOR JOHN COLLINS ! :tongue:

BASKETBALL GODS, HAVE YOU NO MERCY ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? EVER ???

sweater 2.jpg

I kinda respectfully disagree on the the Rui vs. Kuz thing. Rui is an excellent mid-range scorer and corner 3pt shooter, but they’d be a significantly worse team with him playing Kuz’s minutes. Kuzma is a much better defender, ball handler, passer and overall leader. He absolutely takes some “wth” shots, but a few have been game changers.

Rui is a great 6th man (when available) but he’s not a starter on a team that’s even attempting to win. When (not if) he’s traded hopefully they can either get a big man that plays defense or a solid 3pt shooter.

If they could put together a deal with some combination of Rui, Morris, and Barton to the Spurs for Poletl and J. Richardson, I’d be happy
And how does that translate to win differential? We’re currently a 30-40 win team with this “big three.”

For me, it’s not about “who’s the better player” so much as “which moves brings us closer to title contention.”

Maxing out three fringe All Stars doesn’t make you a title contender. It makes you the New York Knicks.

And how does that translate to win differential? We’re currently a 30-40 win team with this “big three.”

For me, it’s not about “who’s the better player” so much as “which moves brings us closer to title contention.”

Maxing out three fringe All Stars doesn’t make you a title contender. It makes you the New York Knicks
I’m confused. How does keeping Rui get them closer? I know it provides more cap room but it’s not like they’ve ever been able to sign big name free agents :lol:

>>>>> For me, it’s not about “who’s the better player” so much as “which moves brings us closer to title contention.” <<<<<

what moves bring them closer right now ???

Ive seen trying to bring in Ayton ?? sending Kuz , Monte and Deni

Rui showed tonight, ironically enough, that he can contribute HUGE, night before he had that goose egg though, he just seems like a cat ya wanna keep, IMO

TAMOTSU
rui 9.jpg

I’m confused. How does keeping Rui get them closer? I know it provides more cap room but it’s not like they’ve ever been able to sign big name free agents :lol:

The situation I’d like to avoid is one where we trade Rui now when his value is low and then lose options/flexibility this summer, when the team will inevitably throw everything they have at Kuzma to keep him from bolting. At that point, you’re locked into an inadequate nucleus and your “star” contracts will be difficult to move without attaching picks. We’re stuck for another generation.

At least if we maintain the option to match on Rui, we’re not forced to overpay Kuz just so management can save face. It gives us flexibility.

Personally, I’d rather flip KP and clear the logjam that way, but he can’t stay on the floor and mainly only shows up for first quarters.

It’s not that I don’t think Kuzma has value; it’s that I don’t think our team building philosophy should be to sign three Kris Middletons with no Giannis.

We’re much closer to the bottom of the standings than the top and the longer we “wait to see how we look when we’re healthy” (spoiler: like a 5 seed), the longer the inevitable rebuild will take.

Have the Wizards managed to sign many high impact free agents? Not counting MJ, the biggest signings we’ve managed have been Gil (by the grace of a coin flip) and Paul Pierce in his twilight (thanks to Sam Cassell.) By that same token, how many lottery picks has the team successfully developed?

Let’s be real: it would take an idiot-proof, franchise-altering draft pick or a random act of competence in selecting a new head of basketball ops and GM to make this team relevant.

Either way, mediocrity does not get us any closer. If we max out three second-tier players, any incoming GM will have their hands tied and we won’t lose enough games to land an impact player through the draft.

Damn, all makes pretty good sense to me

Scary how history continually repeats itself with this entire organization

I was/am just hoping that they could get to that 5 seed ( realistically highest possible ) and make some people nervous, use that "winning changes everything" mentality

The HEALTHY take once agaon went out the window last night with Porzingis, and this right before a road trip, cant win for losing.

STILL alotta fun to watch watch and partake in. Any team with Delon Wright is where its at for me. Guess I will just hope that a change is finally somehow on the way AND RUI STAYS.

[Bill Simmons]: “We (the Wizards) have this nucleus that has no chance at winning the title, let’s pour more money onto it. That’s the classic Washington Wizards move right?”

those of us who forget history are doomed to repeat it

i just kinda liked this line up, most I have since the Agent 0 , Jamison and Caron days

Can Ovecheckin hoop ???

Yeah it’s sad liking our current line up more than any in recent memory but still realizing that we are so far away from being contenders.

Back
Top Bottom