Washington Wizards Season Thread - Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

Should the Washington Wizards trade Bradley Beal?

• Total voters
I’d share that sentiment if it was the same front office, but it’s not so I’m a bit more optimistic, cautiously optimistic if you will. We had Ernie since 2003 and then Tommy right after (who worked under Ernie), so that’s basically 20 years of Ernie Grunfeld influence. For the first time in 20 years we have guys in the front office who came from the outside. We’re going to be garbage for a while but hopefully we’ll end up with a higher pick than the 8th or 9th pick like it’s been for quite a bit now.
The current draft odds work against us, unfortunately. Also, next years draft is garbage-we should have been rebuilding this past season.

We’re going to be garbage for a while but hopefully we’ll end up with a higher pick than the 8th or 9th pick like it’s been for quite a bit now.
This was the real problem. They were halfway trying to win and they'd be like 8-15 every year. With a front office that couldn't draft.

The whole thing was basically pointless. Everybody has known this. Bringing back what they had would have repeated this ridiculous process. I trust the new regime to draft better but they need a shot to build with higher end talent. This was the only way to do that.

I know it will never happen because we’re too big of a market but this makes me wish Ted just moved the team out of DC. The DMV and Bmore as a whole deserves infinitely better.

This is, sadly, the conclusion I reached around this time last year:

At this point, if Ted wants to pout about his self-inflicted attendance woes and move the team, I'd welcome that.
In the modern, post ABA merger era, the following expansion teams have won championships: Dallas Mavericks, Miami Heat, and Toronto Raptors. The Minnesota Timberwolves and Memphis Grizzlies have made conference finals. Only the Charlotte Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans can compete with the Wizards' futility.

Unless and until Ted finally releases this franchise from the dismal curse of his failed "leadership," Seattle has a more realistic shot at contention in the next 15 years than we do.

I don’t understand why we had to abandon Jordan Goodwin, one of last year’s few bright spots who’s paid almost nothing, as part of the Beal trade.

I look forward to seeing what Phoenix will get for Beal in a year when they realize that an older, shorter Devin Booker wasn’t actually their missing piece. If they’re paying someone to take Beal off their hands, maybe I’ll change my mind about this giveaway, but Miami’s piddling offer now looks like a goldmine in comparison.

This trade was just a cheaper version of putting our franchise player on waivers, Josh Smith style.

Welcome to rock bottom, Wizards fans. Surely there’s nowhere to go from here but up…. right?

It’s not like we’re gonna whiff at #8 and draft some tweener based on the strength of his play against future used car salespeople. :nerd:

The current draft odds work against us, unfortunately. Also, next years draft is garbage-we should have been rebuilding this past season.
Totally agree, we should have moved Brad last season or the season before but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommy Sheppard was not a very good GM outside of moving Westbrook.

But wassup with KP frfr over there :nerd: Who they saying he’s talking to? He too holds all the cards here no?

NY won’t leave DC hanging like Phx. Maybe. Hopefully.
Quickley will thrive in a bigger role somewhere he can get it. Him + some throw-ins like Evan for monies to work. And the Wiz could maybe even have that ‘24 first of yalls back too in exchange for 🦄; soon to be set free anyway.

I know my guy still loves the city & hates how things played out. I saw the video he did to wrap up his successful campaign this year.

Just hope the feeling is mutual between this FO too. I can’t find a more perfect fit; player & contract + Obi guaranteed to play more.

This doesn’t get any more perfecter for the Knickerbockers. 1 PF upgrade & we got them undrafteds next chance.
Young pg + first rounder. That’s already looking better than the scraps Beal ‘anem left y’all hanging with.

Thankfully tho they sent that man west and not to south beach.

This was the real problem. They were halfway trying to win and they'd be like 8-15 every year. With a front office that couldn't draft.

The whole thing was basically pointless. Everybody has known this. Bringing back what they had would have repeated this ridiculous process. I trust the new regime to draft better but they need a shot to build with higher end talent. This was the only way to do that.
The thing is Ted wanted that post season revenue, he didn’t care if we were simply a play-in team, that money meant more to him than rebuilding. Now, that it’s clear we will struggle to even become that, he’s ostensibly fine with rebuilding since he can’t really make that extra revenue anyways. To a certain extent, I get it-the Wizards are a business but I think the ownership only cares about the short term and negates any/all long-term strategy. This even goes back to the Abe era so I think this entire mindset and culture needs to change but sadly I don’t think the current Leonsis ownership cares enough to actually make this kind of mentality shift.

I’m just glad they finally got Beal outta here. Slim was ALWAYS hurt and when he did play, it was clear he isn’t a #1 on a winning team. Hell he shouldn’t have been the #1 on this team last season.

Glad they’re finally rebuilding with a new front office. It’s long overdue.

We literally got rid our our best player for nothing. I assume Chris Paul gets a buy out?
I wanted a rebuild like everyone else but Meth is completely right. Welcome to rock bottom. We now need to tank next year in hopes for a number 1 or 2 draft pick. Thats my only hope at this point.

Definitely rock bottom.

It's real tough to be a Wiz fan man, it's been pointless for decades and the ownership could care less about us. Guess only up from here?

We literally got rid our our best player for nothing. I assume Chris Paul gets a buy out?
I wanted a rebuild like everyone else but Meth is completely right. Welcome to rock bottom. We now need to tank next year in hopes for a number 1 or 2 draft pick. Thats my only hope at this point.
Definitely rock bottom.

It's real tough to be a Wiz fan man, it's been pointless for decades and the ownership could care less about us. Guess only up from here?
On the plus side, they gonna be giving out Wizards tix for free soon enough.

If it is Boston, then the invitation has been pulled. We don’t want your frail *** anyways.

1687375023234.gif

Starting lineup about to be Monte, Kispert, Deni, Morris and Gafford:rofl:

If they even sniff 25 wins I’ll be shocked.

I don't mind the team taking its medicine and going for a full rebuild. We weren't close, and we weren't going to get closer by creating a "superteam" of third-tier players while drafting in the late lottery.

My issue is that the current group seems dead set on treating what talent we did have as liabilities rather than assets.

We need an actual MVP level player, and none in their right mind will sign here in free agency, so that only leaves draft picks and trades. If you're going to hold up OKC as the model for a rapid rebuild, don't forget that they traded their core for multiple firsts and landed a young star in SGA right off the jump. OKC would not be where they are now if they just gave their stars away for nothing and tried to rebuild one lottery pick at a time. That requires losing for MANY consecutive years and drafting perfectly. We had #1, #3 (twice), #6, and two #9 overall picks in the John Wall /Bradley Beal era. There's no margin for error when you go one lottery pick at a time. Everything would have to break our way. The Thunder picked three future MVPs in the lottery and still couldn't get it done.

Cap space can be an asset, but parking another team's bad contracts (as OKC did in absorbing Al Horford, Chris Paul, and Kemba Walker's deals) isn't going to create the same return as trading a good player.

What are we doing here? With the new lottery rules, you get the same chance at a #1 pick if you finish with the fourth-worst record as you do if you're an historically bad team with a single digit win total. I don't see the point in dumping even our young players on team friendly deals, like Jordan Goodwin, just to get empty roster spots, and rushing to find takers for what few talented players we have without maximizing the return. We need young stars and multiple lottery picks.

I don't know what the "draft compensation" would be with this proposed deal, but it had better net us more than just a future 27th overall pick, or else we'd have been better served trying to extend KP and THEN trading him. Winger seems to be in a rush to tear down whatever we had, and we need to absolutely maximize our value there, as Utah did, if we're to have any chance of competing before the end of the century.

But hey, all those second round picks might be just what he needs to take the Capital City Go Go over the top.

Clippers did the Wiz a favor, they weren’t getting anything back from the KP trade anyway …But of course they would be one of the teams involved in a trade breaking down like this, literally can’t get right :lol: :smh:

Let me get this straight: Washington traded Bradley Beal, Rui Hachimura, and Kristaps Porzingis…. And didn’t even get ONE first round pick?

Maybe this new management cares more about cap space and plan to sign the next big free agent (yea right :lol: ) than anything cuz they clearly moving like draft picks not part of their rebuilding plan :lol: :smh:

New management wants the clean the books and they have so far. Ideally, would've been nice to secure a first round pick or two but understandable why they couldn't.

Beal's NTC forced them to negotiate with a select few. The Suns stepped up to eat the Beal contract but they don't have firsts to trade. Two first round pick swaps and six second rounders ain't bad.
Players that opt-in have little trade value, hence Porzingis not getting a first round pick back. Do think they should've got one of the firsts from the Grizzlies.

Back
Top Bottom