'We all suffer’: why San Francisco techies hate the city they transformed

https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/...ch-workers-industry?__twitter_impression=true

Techie gentrifiers now crying about being scared of the increasing amount of homeless folks and other problems that they caused themselves. These smug selfish tech bros complaining that a city they forcibly gentrified is now too "BORING" for them and they still paying $4-5k in rent while fearing for their lives and safety after leaving their startup offices. I really am wishing my hometown implodes because they are the poster child for gentrification in this nation. Other cities see the problems SF has and will think twice about the housing market and gentrification

is it true that there is **** everywhere from all the homeless people?

I’m living in LA for 6 months for work and the homelessness here is wild! I’m in the Santa Monica area on the coast and it’s pretty bad can’t imagine what skid row looks like. People are really struggling out here to find/ afford housing. Sad situation honestly

I’m living in LA for 6 months for work and the homelessness here is wild! I’m in the Santa Monica area on the coast and it’s pretty bad can’t imagine what skid row looks like. People are really struggling out here to find/ afford housing. Sad situation honestly

I lived in SM - it’s nothing compared to Skidrow man. Venice is even 2x worse.

Let them suffer and go broke living in those disgusting conditions just so they can kick it at musty hipster bars after work. I work in SF but live 30 mins away in a pristine neighborhood and 1000x better quality of life.

Regarding LA...I'm in LA almost every month but in the Redondo Beach, Torrance, etc. area. I drove through Downtown LA at night for the first time in years...God damn, that was the most apocalyptic scene of all time! Skid Row has always been bad, but it's spreading all over downtown now.

Cali city centers are dying

in the mission and tenderloin, you better watch your steps if you have to walk :lol:

I work at a startup near 16th and mission. I feel like my office should have one of those decontamination chambers after I do that 10 min walk from my car/BART to work. It's crazy how Valencia is "nice" but Mission is fiend central just one block down

Let them suffer and go broke living in those disgusting conditions just so they can kick it at musty hipster bars after work. I work in SF but live 30 mins away in a pristine neighborhood and 1000x better quality of life.

Regarding LA...I'm in LA almost every month but in the Redondo Beach, Torrance, etc. area. I drove through Downtown LA at night for the first time in years...God damn, that was the most apocalyptic scene of all time! Skid Row has always been bad, but it's spreading all over downtown now.

Cali city centers are dying

Yup, I’m in Ktown and it’s not too bad but drive 5 minutes east, good lord.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...-mumbai-delhi-mexico-city-jarkarta-and-manila

In San Francisco, the homeless population has grown by 17 percent since 2017, and when a UN official recently walked the streets she was absolutely horrified by what she witnessed

When Leilani Farha paid a visit to San Francisco in January, she knew the grim reputation of the city’s homeless encampments. In her four years as the United Nations Special Rapporteur for Adequate Housing, Farha has visited the slums of Mumbai, Delhi, Mexico City, Jarkarta, and Manila. The crisis in San Francisco, she said, is comparable to these conditions.

"The Skid is everywhere":smh::smh:

https://ktla.com/2019/06/03/human-f...camps-lure-rats-to-l-a-city-hall-report-says/

A bunch of entitled people. What the **** do you expect gentrifying the **** out of San Francisco?

Gentrifying really doesn’t create the sort of homelessness being discussed in here.

The people on the streets of SF are drug addicts with serious mental problems. The problem is America, and especially California, is very liberal and we aren’t forcing these people off the streets and into state mental institutions due to “freedom”.

The actual people truly hurt by this are the normal people that can’t live in the City. This is the barista, the teacher, the government worker, etc. None of these non tech jobs really make it possible to afford the rent.

The problem isn’t gentrification. It is the old homeowners not willing to allow rezoning and allowing more housing to be built + draconian rent control laws that make the already small supply that much smaller.

Gentrifying really doesn’t create the sort of homelessness being discussed in here.

The people on the streets of SF are drug addicts with serious mental problems. The problem is America, and especially California, is very liberal and we aren’t forcing these people off the streets and into state mental institutions due to “freedom”.

The actual people truly hurt by this are the normal people that can’t live in the City. This is the barista, the teacher, the government worker, etc. None of these non tech jobs really make it possible to afford the rent.

The problem isn’t gentrification. It is the old homeowners not willing to allow rezoning and allowing more housing to be built + draconian rent control laws that make the already small supply that much smaller.

Shout out to these NIMBY @#$ holes who refuse to let shelters and facilities be built. Amazing how these idiots on the Embarcadero are protesting against the new shelter while also complaining about the homeless/mentally ill problem. What exactly is their solution then?

And I've seen that SF is finally starting to force these dangerous people into mental institutions, but only after a certain number of incidents. What a joke!

The police will give you citations for blocking 1/4th inch of a driveway but will do absolutely nothing about the dude screaming obscenities and threats towards passerby.

SF and LA should be embarrassed to call themselves "world class cities"

https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/...ch-workers-industry?__twitter_impression=true

Techie gentrifiers now crying about being scared of the increasing amount of homeless folks and other problems that they caused themselves. These smug selfish tech bros complaining that a city they forcibly gentrified is now too "BORING" for them and they still paying $4-5k in rent while fearing for their lives and safety after leaving their startup offices. I really am wishing my hometown implodes because they are the poster child for gentrification in this nation. Other cities see the problems SF has and will think twice about the housing market and gentrification
Hunters point
Potrero hill
Ain’t gentrifying

They been gentrifying both of them, seen brochures where they showed pics of a young white couple having a picnic in HP and ****. They even gonna get to doing Sunnydale

Hunters point
Potrero hill
Ain’t gentrifying

These techies are funny. They claim to be so liberal and concerned about minority rights and treatment, being sanctuary city and all that other jazz, but they enable greedy landlords by paying their exorbitant rent prices which leads to the displacement of low-income minority families, especially in my old neighborhood(the mission).

is it true that there is **** everywhere from all the homeless people?
Where I work (SOMA/Mission), someone always takes a sh-t outside my office. Where I live, it’s usually people that don’t clean up after their dogs. I have a strict no shoes on in my house rule.

They been gentrifying both of them, seen brochures where they showed pics of a young white couple having a picnic in HP and ****. They even gonna get to doing Sunnydale
Fam still live in hunters and Potrero
Yeah they making it nice
But still hood

Back
Top Bottom