'We all suffer’: why San Francisco techies hate the city they transformed

Maaaaan where to begin....

Prop 47 turned many drug related felonies into misdemeanors. So jails got cleared out and put those people on the streets. Dude could get busted for drugs and be out by the shift is over by "promising" to appear in court at a later time.

Residents cry for homeless reform and resources but only if its not in their neighborhood. Look at the Embarcadero protests.

All the resources, free healthcare, free needles, all the drugs you could ever want are all easily accessible in SF. Homeless people from out of state find their way to SF increasing the population.

And yeah there are still nice parts of SF, but the bad parts are BAD.

Yea the gentrification in DC will be a case study one day. The effort to scrub DC of any culture is crazy, and the disrespectful nature they are doing it is sad. I've thought about moving down south every single day...
I mean people being kicked out of dc to surrounding areas (pg co. /moco /nova) is that really a bad thing ?those areas are goldmines with money (i hear u as far as the whole culture thing within the district limits though)

Yea the gentrification in DC will be a case study one day. The effort to scrub DC of any culture is crazy, and the disrespectful nature they are doing it is sad. I've thought about moving down south every single day...

Do it and live like a King.

Could you go more into detail

The worst kind of white liberals to ever exist are the ones occupying SF right now and turning it into classist, racist, dystopian city.
Second worst are the white liberals occupying NYC driving up rents and holding tours of the hoods for gentrifiers.
The third worst are the white liberals occupying DC turning the chocolate city bland walking their dogs on the campuses of HBCUs

The worst kind of white liberals to ever exist are the ones occupying SF right now and turning it into classist, racist, dystopian city.
Second worst are the white liberals occupying NYC driving up rents and holding tours of the hoods for gentrifiers.
The third worst are the white liberals occupying DC turning the chocolate city bland walking their dogs on the campuses of HBCUs

This is a pretty general statement lmao. What about the DC liberals who don’t have dogs?

I never fully understood the homeless situation in Cali. Is it that homeless people tend to move to warmer climates?
Not to sound like a a hole but Im sure its not people lose their job and bam they decide to sleep on the street. Surely its a drug/mental thing.
I dont remember seeing homeless people in Chicago when I visited for instance.

I never fully understood the homeless situation in Cali. Is it that homeless people tend to move to warmer climates?
Not to sound like a a hole but Im sure its not people lose their job and bam they decide to sleep on the street. Surely its a drug/mental thing.

Has a lot to do with it but also being raised there and not finding a job.

doesn't cali also give money to homeless people?

or is that a lie?

Hunters Point not gentrifying??? Wut?

https://thesfshipyard.com/live/

$900K for the smallest 600 sq ft plan and add $300-400 HOA a month on top of whatever mortgage payment.

This is why I keep repeating that these idiot out of towners are the ones that are allowing these scumbag developers and landlords to get away with these insane prices.

Anyone born in the Bay Area knows that the land in the shipyard area has been toxic for decades cause of all the radioactive waste, yet out of towners who do zero research are paying ~1 mil to live in an area that all of us purposely avoid.

Now they're suing :lol:

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/7/25/176...lawsuit-developer-contamination-toxic-cleanup

The suits, filed in San Francisco Superior Court by a prominent and politically connected Peninsula-based litigation firm, allege that the nearby toxic contamination is jeopardizing the value of their homes. They also allege that Lennar Corp. and FivePoint Holdings, the companies developing the land and selling the townhomes at the SF Shipyard, “knew they were selling badly contaminated land, yet they marketed the residential development to prospective homeowners as clean and safe.”

“When the SF Shipyard Residents purchased their homes from Lennar and/or FivePoint, they had no reason to believe they were purchasing residential property on a site contaminated with radioactive and/or industrial waste at levels potentially deleterious to their health,” allege homeowners Linda Pennington, Greg Pennington, Theo Ellington, and Victoria Trusty. “At no point before the purchase did Lennar and/or FivePoint disclose this essential information.”

How about do some damn work before moving into abandoned/dangerous/dirty areas like HP, Mission,SOMA, etc. ??? Isn't it common sense to thoroughly research the area you're moving to?

This is why I feel zero sympathy for these losers getting suckered into paying $3500 to live near 16th and Mission (2nd biggest drug dealer/fiend central in SF), and then complaining about "I can barely afford to live here"

Last edited:
I'm from Finland and i was in LA and SF last year on a holiday and was shocked to see how many homeless people there were. Literally fell on a dude sleeping on the sidewalk. And some homeless dude tried some scam in venice which he ran into me and flopped to the ground and cried that he broke his leg and i needed to give him money. Almost fell for it. Venice at night was wild to see. Back home there really aren't any homeless people because well social security is so strong in here.

good luck actually having a democratic Presidential nominee addressing this homeless situation out in da West coast.

doesn't cali also give money to homeless people?

or is that a lie?
In SF, the program is called CAAP. The homeless get $72 a month and get the option of housing in a shelter. If they're lucky, they could get a SRO IF it becomes available. They also can receive food stamps (Calfresh), MediCal.

1st and 15th yo!
actually, it's just the 1st now

Currently live in DC and I get the argument about the hyper gentrification in DC, but it’s really hard on one hand to say we need to increase the housing supply by building taller and denser neighborhoods while also trying to maintain the distinct character of existing neighborhoods, which have a distinct culture because they are low density for example.

Bruh they even changing the names of nieghborhoods and **** - like, "Ay check this out we ain't callin' it that no mo'."...

...the corner store in the hood I grew up in (LeDroit Park) now sells Port Wine and paninies. :stoneface:

:rofl: at paninies.

Man I wish I was lying...

...the Korean owner cashed out and dipped in the late 90s - sold it some some cool *** Africans that thought **** was sweet - we all told him he needed bulletproof glass, but a couple white folks had already moved in and he though it was all good.

He learned the hard way:

...when I was back home last summer **** was under new management with police up in there - crazy how police wanna protect the block now that it's a buncha white folks around huh?

IMG_0974.JPG

That's the same store from the vid across the street behind us...

Back
Top Bottom