WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

Trailers were deceptive they pretty much just showed scenes from the first 30 min of the movie. I enjoyed it, movie didn’t feel like the 90s tho, they made some nods to 90s tech, music, Street Fighter:lol:

90s references overload was starting to get annoying by the end.

When they busted out the vinyl player to play Nirvana man i was done

Brie did a tolerable job. She was on and off for me. I did not like it whenever she tried to quip, it came off really unnatural. I did think she was funny when she was being fake intense on the train or with Rambeau's neighbor though :lol:

Action scenes were a let down aside from the CGI Binary stuff at the end, but that lasted about a minute. Most of the fights had that fast choppy editing, which i hate.

Overall i'd say the movie was 5/8

Last edited:
Brie OP af. She legit turned into neo and covered 3 matrix movies in 2 hrs. And then getting nerfed in the 1st 5 minutes by Thanos, feels gonna be all over the place.

Reactions: wr
i’m starting to realize i actually liked the film more than i thought i would but it wasn’t because of CM.

fury was awesome. especially any scene with the cat. it was great to see him more loose.

mendelhson was excellent. jude was ok.

still don’t understand how nobody else gets a star trek vibe but whatever. and it’s not really a bad thing.

with Brie or the CM character though...

i liked her more than i thought i would but something about her didn’t sit right with me (aside from her running).

i don’t know if the character was supposed to be cocky but it was almost like Brie was like “i got an oscar this is beneath me” vibe. she didn’t really do anything for me to believe she was that invested. i could go back to literally every other marvel character and visualize a point where i felt like they had raw emotion. unless that’s just the CM character (almost like the cone heads) who’s supposed to lack feeling, she had zero convincing emotion

I didn’t set my expectations too high with this movie...only thing I really wanted to know was where CM has been all this dam time :lol:

This was the perfect warmup for Endgame

:lol: i said Star Trek vibe before we even got all the trailers and got slandered for it

never change NikeTalk.

Marvel is gonna pass up Star Wars and Star Trek with a more complete and relatable universe/space story across so many movies.

Definitely saw her pulls Matrix 1,2 and 3 in a short amount of time.

Djimon winning out here

Maria Rambeau looking awesome. Looked her up and found out she's a Brit.

Vibe of thw movie definitely letting you know Marvel in a brand new era.

Decent movie, it connects the obvious dots but very entertaining to revisit some of these dots from the past mcu decade. I may be one of the only few who enjoyed the no doubt song because I like that song and it definitely pertained to that scene. STILL CAN’T WAIT FOR ENDGAME.

Favorite scene: when she was shifting costume colors.

Pretty cool how they portrayed the skrulls. They’re good nor bad, but just trying to survive. Talos is an interesting dude and can’t wait to see what they do with him in the future; he definitely falls into these determined antagonist characters like Zemo, killmonger, etc... Seems like the dude will go after anyone who threatens his species. Wonder what he’ll do with have of their population is wiped out.

Last edited:
i actually didnt think bries acting was that good in this. In the slow scenes where she had to get misty eyed, sure. but where she had to have a personality and humor or deliver a one-liner...meh

scene where she was fighting the skrull when her hands were bonded, and the dialogue...felt hella power ranger to me. 'Anybody know how to take these off? No? Ok!!!' * Pow* *Bang* *Splat*'

Ok after some time to marinate, here is my review.

Where do I begin with this film? I was a big doubter first off for this film and even Endgame the minute I watched IW and was severely disappointed to keep that description short. The few months after the film I was adamant Marvel would be in quicksand after Ant-Man and Wasp and Spider-Man: Far From Home would be the universe’s saving grace to reset the garbage the Russo’s had exposed us to and start fresh again. By the time the first trailer for Captain Marvel released I was confident in my stance that the film would be an absolute **** show. Brie’s comments a few weeks back only added to the belief in the social media reaction to her and the film was becoming icing on a pessimistic cake.

Fast forward to today I walk in to the theater with a young lady which for the purposes of this review we’ll refer to as “side piece” and I’m ready to do my usual MCU film schtick of opening night regardless of how I was feeling about the film. I had been searching for spoilers all over the place for the film in particular and stumbled across one that was being touted as legit which somewhat changed my perspective on what I would possibly be seeing. Once the actual spoiler released online, I was underwhelmed to say the least but still wanted to see how it would play out on film. I can tell you right now that I was wrong...I LOVED this film.

The reasons are numerous. From the Stan tribute at the beginning to his endearing cameo referencing a quasi cult classic from my youth there were many things that made me smile. But everything boiled down to the film taking me back to a place where time was simple and coincidentally at that same time I fell in love with comics. The 90’s. The True Lies billboard in Blockbuster, the Internet cafe. I literally clapped when I saw the Street Fighter 2: champion edition cabinet. This movie was a cheesy comic book from the 90’s from beginning to end and I think it’s a thematic narrative choice that is being overlooked mostly because no one has noticed.

Brie’s acting was overtly meant to be “machismo” in the beginning to show she could be a worthy hero in the male dominated world of heroes. It isn’t until she meets with Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau that her femininity starts to show in some surprisingly well acted scenes. By the way, Lashana Lynch is thicker than frozen peanut butter. The men in the film get some great things to do as well with the obvious standouts being Samuel L. Jackson as our jovial now stern later favorite secret spy Nick Fury and Ben Mendelson as the surprisingly comical but somewhat confusing Talos. My few gripes with the film come from the latter character who is playing a leader of the greatest alien species in the Marvel universe. The Skrulls are never to be trusted so seeing them at the dinner table with Nick Fury was um, jarring to say the least with the implication that they’re now friends with the early foundations of Gaia’s mightiest heroes. How do we get the Skrulls we’re used to after that? More discussion on that on another time.

Ultimately the film was more than I expected which wasn’t much and was probably a huge factor in why I was so surprised and liked it so much. The message it had for woman both little girls and adult women was on the nose but I personally liked it. “Side piece” gave me her perspective on the film being an occasional MCU viewer and said that the movie to her gave off a tongue in cheek vibe of male takes advantage of a woman until a better man shows her how special she truly is and called it an MCU Tyler Perry movie :lol: very accurate assessment in my opinion. In closing I’ll leave you with a few things; I think the film will make A LOT of money because it has a lot of things in it casual audiences will like and MCU fans will like as well. Goose is the most alien thing we’ve ever seen in a Marvel movie. Like even Guardians never did anything that random. I loved how cheesy but fitting No Doubt’s “I’m Just a Girl” was in the fight scene. That’s a top 10 theme song of the 90’s. Did I mention Lashana Lynch being nice to look at?

Cliffs:

-Feige the gawd

-I guess I’m ready for your little Endgame or whateva

- This film imo is a top 10 MCU film, in the bottom of the 10 I’ll say because it is a generic origin story but top 10 at the end of the day because it has a tone that feels like I’m flipping through the pages of a comic. The same reason why I love Ragnarok, Black Panther and Homecoming.

6/8 for me.

Last edited:
lmao no not like that but bad in her own way.

once you see it you can’t unsee it
I already noticed something up with that in the trailer where she's running from the Skrulls in the ship/base with the restraints covering her hands.

Last edited:
the soundtrack was really disappointing to me considering it was 90s music aside from one song

Definitely the least “timepiece” feeling of all the MCU movies. It’s like they just made a checklist of 90s stuff to throw in without really fleshing out the world.

They dropped a Blockbuster and Radio Shack reference, and then threw in a payphone and filled the movie with pretty random 90s songs and called it a day. That’s not really a spoiler, right?

So...

I'm really having a hard time tracking exactly where the tesseract has been between the 40s and A1. Between the 90s and A1, shield had the tesseract the whole time? It didn't go, anywhere else?

looks like the kree had it first and when Marvell turned heel on them to help the skrulls, she had possession of it and was using it to develop hyperjump technology being that is the space stone, I guess trying to harness its power, then after this movie it connects to why Fury has it during Avengers when Loki came for it....Fury had for 2 decades plus, I’m surprised SHIELD didn’t learn much more about it in that time frame, I wanna know what happened to Goose, or if her BFFs daughter is gonna play a role in the future? She’s probably in her 30’s now.

Back
Top Bottom