WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

I liked Dr.Strange but I gotta thing for trippy, other dimensions, and bending reality concepts. So I would rank Dr. Strange over Capt Marvel.

Depends on the project. He hasn't had experience with action yet. That's pretty much the only concern I would have with him

AVENGERS: ENDGAME - Every Major New Reveal (And Possible Spoiler) From This Month's Empire Magazine

There Was Very Nearly Zero Marketing
Iron-Man.jpg

So far, we've had two posters, two trailers, and one TV spot for Avengers: Endgame. That's not quite enough for some but it's by no means a bad haul for such a secretive movie. However, did Marvel Studios consider doing no marketing whatsoever for the Avengers: Infinity War sequel?

"We did," Joe Russo confirms. "We talked about all scales of marketing."

"The thing that's most important to us is that we preserve the surprise of the narrative,"
he continues. "When I was a kid and saw The Empire Strikes Back at 11am on the day it opened, and sat there until 10pm watching it back to back to back, it so profoundly moved me because I didn't know a damn thing about the story I was going to watch. We're trying to replicate that experience."

Does Kevin Feige Regret Those Deaths?
Steve-Rogers.jpg

Infinity War obviously wraps up with characters like Star-Lord, Spider-Man, and Black Panther all turning to dust after the Mad Titan snapped his fingers and unleashed the power of the Infinity Stones but does Feige regret such a bold storytelling decision?

"I was a hundred percent confident in that ending," he says, "until about the Monday before release. Then I started to get really nervous. It was like, 'Wait a minute: what have we done?' For years, leading up to the release of that ending, people were going, 'These movies are predictable. The good guy always wins.'"

"And for years I was thinking, 'Just wait.'"

The Snap Was Nearly Saved For Avengers: Endgame
Natasha.jpg

"We had so much story in those early drafts of Infinity War that, if anything, we thought we maybe shouldn't do The Snap until the end of act one of Endgame," says McFeely. Feige, meanwhile, confirms that adapting that moment from the comics was always a priority: "We talked about that ending for years and years and years. It was the reason to adapt Infinity Gauntlet."

"What was the most shocking thing we could do?" he asks. "End the movie with The Snap."

As for whether or not he thinks the cliffhanger ending is a bad thing, Feige adds: "I understand why people would use that word, but it comes to an end, and that end is, Thanos wins."

What Makes Endgame Different To Infinity War
Banner1.jpg

The Russos point out that the movie's ending leaves them in a position where they had to say, "Alright, we have no idea how the story can move forward from here. We've just killed half the characters"according to Joe.

McFeely, meanwhile, notes that after telling the previous movie from Thanos' perspective, the biggest change here is that there's a much narrower focus on Earth's Mightiest Heroes. "Infinity War had 23 people on the poster," he says. "That dictated a certain type of pace and a certain type of movie."

"There's only, what, nine people on the poster for Endgame? So maybe you can do a different type of storytelling."

What Comes Next?
Lang.jpg

"The jumping off point for [Endgame] is the question, 'How do you move forward when you've lost like this?'" Anthony says. "What is the way forward from that kind of experience?'"

According to McFeely, Thor is "not blaming anybody but himself" and he "does have a lot of guilt" for failing to deliver the killing blow to the Mad Titan the last time they crossed paths.

"I don't want to say it's a laugh riot," the writer notes when asked about the first act. "It comes from a darker place."
Why The Heroes Didn't Just Vanish
Rocket.jpg

In the comic books, when Thanos snaps his fingers, half of the universe just vanishes. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, however, they turned to ash. Now, Feige has elaborated on why that change was made and who exactly came up with it.

"Dan DeLeeuw, our visual effects supervisor, and our visual effects team, came up with the ash effect. We didn't want people to simply disappear, and people think they had been teleported somewhere. It needed to seem much more permanent than that." Looking back, it's fair to say that Marvel made the right decision in this regard.

Test Screening Reactions
Steven.jpg

Remember that feeling you were left with after watching Earth's Mightiest Heroes perish? Well, those same reactions were what Infinity War received during test screenings as well.

"When we do test screenings, you can judge the authenticity of reactions based on when the applause starts," Feige reveals. "Here, there was nothing. Nothing. Silence. The best reactions after were like, 'I hated it, but I loved it.' 'I hated it, but I understand why it had to happen.'"

Feige also reveals that it was always the plan to kill off some big names as Spider-Man's demise was "filmed on the first or second day of what would be an almost two-year process."

Endgame Will Feature An "Epic Narrative"
Thor.jpg

After Feige jokingly said that Avengers: Endgame will be three hours of Steve Rogers in a support group meeting, Anthony Russo more seriously states that we can expect an "epic narrative" and McFeely promises that "It's just the most. It's just the biggest."

That's hardly a surprise and it's clear this movie will take us to some surprising places.

This Movie Will Change The MCU Forever
Hawkeye.jpg

"We are in different territory, possibly than anyone's ever been in before in terms of a movie series,"Markus says in regards to how Endgame will impact the rest of this shared world.

"The MCU continues to exist. Who happens to be in it is fluid and evolving things where, because it's all connected, you can't reboot one. All the parts have to work together. Things continue, but like life, losses are real, and change is real."

As for why we've heard very little about what comes next, Feige adds: "It's not even just about spoilers. It's about keeping the focus on what we're working on."

Focusing On The Original Six
Cap1.jpg

"He's been our guy since we started at Marvel," Markus says in regards to Captain America. "He's the barometer for the team. You go look for Captain America and if he's still fighting, you keep fighting. But if he's sitting on his butt in the dirt, saying, 'Oh God,' that really, really means you lost."

"People would point out that that Cap wasn't in Infinity War a whole lot," adds Feige. "And Iron Man didn't really speak for that last half hour because of what was going on. But those characters, and all of the original six, are very much the focus of Endgame in a very personal and emotional way."
empire-may-2019-avengers.jpg

empire-may-2019-thanos.jpg

empire-may-2019-subs-endgame-cover.jpg

Sometimes the allure is too strong.
Didn't even Joakim Phoenix swear off CBMs at some point? I'm sure glad he rescinded his stance.
I hope the same applies to Peele.

**** Joaquin Phoenix. He was originally offered the part as Doctor Strange but didn’t want to sign a multi picture deal. Fast forward he’s playing Joker in what was billed as a one shot Joker film but is planting the seeds of a young Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman while WB is trying to seduce him into multiple appearances by offering him producers credit :rolleyes

i think phoenix took the joker role because its not required to sign a multi-year deal and its a one-off, i think he said not wanting to fulfill a commitment so that sounded like the offers are for franchises that would lock him in for years

in one of the interviews where he said he's turned down those roles, he said he hasn't met a director that said "f the big set pieces but lets focus on character" until he met phillips

as for peele, he seems real focused and just loves horror and wants to do/direct "original" content, i know he is rebooting the twilight series which is already turning back to his statement of "original content only" but i am not sure if he will direct or just produce and to what extent he'd take the series to so we'll see

maybe if marvel tries the horror genre with cbm like fox's attempt at new mutants or dc's trench

**** Joaquin Phoenix. He was originally offered the part as Doctor Strange but didn’t want to sign a multi picture deal. Fast forward he’s playing Joker in what was billed as a one shot Joker film but is planting the seeds of a young Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman while WB is trying to seduce him into multiple appearances by offering him producers credit :rolleyes

doesn't mean he'll take it and the joker film is still a one-off at this time

I think Phoenix didn't want to sign a multi picture deal, he just always wanted to do a one off and be done with it
hence the decision to the Joker

while i enjoyed get out and think it was very well done, even though i think he chickened out on the ending even the alternate one (cause really black dude in that situation is getting blasted)

i need to see more out of peele, cause his show was very hit or miss.. and that movie with the cat was terrible

The Big 3 :blush:

They are THE Avengers. I’ve always loved how Alex Ross portrayed them in his paintings.

8045A496-3624-47A5-A5DE-0C42E9D4F452.jpeg

19B54ADD-6CAE-44C1-A35D-3E3DF8AF438B.jpeg

4E5800AD-068F-4BFF-A505-14C484AA80AA.jpeg

8A6E46C4-6E6C-44E8-804F-276FB2018382.jpeg

And this is probably my favorite portrait that he’s done of the Avengers. It was for the 75th anniversary, you guys remember those posters right >D>D....Owning this portrait is on my bucket list but it goes for big money. I love how the most synonymous members make up the A, and my favorite part is Hulk being in the background and his back being Loki’s hands over his face

6B91FBFB-FCDE-4AE7-A15F-3BABB40F6B27.jpeg

Can you spot everyone? Hercules, Mar-Vell, Black Knight, Enchantress, Immortus, Kang, Ultron, Wonder Man....so much detail. Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom