WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

TDK is so damn overrated man

Ledger carried that movie for real...Batman is just hokey in comparison
Yeah I came to a similar conclusion on this years ago in the DC thread discussing it.

The best moments of the movie are all the ledger scenes.

I've said 100 times and I'll say it again. Bale's Bruce/Batman really isnt that good. Nolan gave dude nothing to work with that was compelling and as things went focused less on who was suppose to an the main character.

It was a good plot in TDK but nothing amazing. The whole Harvey Dent thing does not hold up.

What makes the movie is Heath Ledger's Joker and Nolan knew it and used it.

TDK is dope and has one of my favorite performances ever by Heath..

But the infinity saga >>>>>>>>>

Jon Bernthal killed it as Frank Castle
giphy.gif

As a comic book movie? Sure

But as a movie? Hell no!

Marvel really changed the game with their entire cinematic universe building. Because while yeah, they are technically "movies",, "Endgame" is essentially akin to a TV series finale. That's not even up for debate.

Basically the question is, can you fully appreciate "Endgame" on its own merits without watching the 20+ films prior to it? I'd say no.

"The Dark Knight" doesn't have that issue and that's how I differentiate them.

Marvel really changed the game with their entire cinematic universe building. Because while yeah, they are technically "movies",, "Endgame" is essentially akin to a TV series finale. That's not even up for debate.

Basically the question is, can you fully appreciate "Endgame" on its own merits without watching the 20+ films prior to it? I'd say no.

This has nothing to do with the quality of either movie.

It just means there's less of a 'buy in' to watch tdk than there is to watch endgame.

That's it.

I completely agree with your assessment. I am biased (slightly) but for me TDK is on an unattainable pedistol. As great as Infinity War was, it can't touch TDK.

What about just IW?

This has nothing to do with the quality of either movie.

It just means there's less of a 'buy in' to watch tdk than there is to watch endgame.

That's it.

I'd argue that the "buy in" factor certainly affects the quality of the movies.

Put it this way: you get someone who hasn't seen any Batman movies or MCU movies and have them watch "The Dark Knight" and "Endgame". Which film would they probably say is better, all things considered?

Probably TDK because they'd have no idea what was going in Endgame. That's where the buy-in factor comes into play. If you have to watch a bunch of other films beforehand in order to appreciate the most recent one,, it becomes less of a film and more a TV show.

I'd argue that the "buy in" factor certainly affects the quality of the movies.

Put it this way: you get someone who hasn't seen any Batman movies or MCU movies and have them watch "The Dark Knight" and "Endgame". Which film would they probably say is better, all things considered?

Probably TDK because they'd have no idea what was going in Endgame. That's where the buy-in factor comes into play. If you have to watch a bunch of other films beforehand in order to appreciate the most recent one,, it becomes less of a film and more a TV show.
This argument makes me want to punch you.

Just because a movie doesn't require a large buy in doesn't automatically make it good.

It's apples and oranges. Both have vastly different tones. The one thing they have in common is a great central villain.
I'll agree to that. The villians in both movies are what elevate them to the cream of the crop. Imo TDK is better because of the acting of Heath Ledger. I consider his portrayal of the Joker as one of the best acting performances ever. And while Josh Brolin was great as thanos he was still aided by cgi (not a knock on him).

Story is another area where I have to give a slight edge to TDK. It was coherent and precise. IW had a great story as well and the build up to it was masterfully done.

In the end I love both movies and I hate to play the comparrison game, but if forced to choose I will always go with TDK

Come on bro, we're all biased to a degree. Just like you're biased towards the MCU and I'm biased towards DC. Nothing wrong with that, it's just who we are.
I'm not biased towards the MCU. I just rank things according to quality and they happen to have released the most quality movies if we're confining this to comic book movies. I have the Dark Knight ranked ahead of a lot MCU movies. I just recognize it is no longer the best.
( a question for all)
Fundamentally speaking, what qualifies IW as a better movie than TDK?
What do you mean what qualifies it?

It's a great movie with great acting, plot, action, and pacing.

Im going to rewatch TDK tomorrow after having just rewatched Endgame tonight. The one thing that isn't really mentioned when talking TDK is its score. From the opening bank heist, to the envoy chase, to the monologue at the end....amazing. Didn't realize it won an Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom