whack rappers/ played out ones?

This thread has a lot of different topics, I know, but bear in mind, it is semi related, I didnt want to make multiple threads and clog the boards:

Why cant there a rapper who keeps the good stuff coming time and time again AND who gets play on the radio?
Jeezy went away, Jay went away, even Em fell off (he brought it back though and is just as good as ever, though his old stuff is classic, I liked Recovery and I like his "newer" stuff as well, I am unsure if it is on an album, songs like GOAT, The Apple etc)? Why does the radio keep changing so frequently?  Drake hardly puts out !+% anymore, even non radio !+%, he's never on DD (digitaldripped.com, a site that has a lot of new music the day it leaks). I can understand people not having !+% to drop on the radio every month, but its not even that, it seems like they fell off when imo they didnt. I can also understand people wanting fresh !+% and new sounds, but imo some of the people that have "fallen off" are still good and i'm sure a lot of you would agree.

And whats with groups like OFWGKTA being the 3rd best seller in the country with 50k sales? How does such a whack group blow up so hard and receive so many breaks (Fallon, Billboard, coverage in New Yorker/ NY Times, message board hype, HB hype, praises from Kanye/Soulja Boy (not saying Soulja Boy is anyone, but people pay attention to him)) when there are SO many rappers who are not known and who not receive the attention do? I assume some of these underground rappers dont want the attention that OF is receiving, but still you know?

Here's another question I have; who do you consider to represent "hip-hop" out of the following (you can pick more than one, and I chose the whack ones on purpose just to see what your opinion of em is): Eminem, Jay-Z, Jeezy, Boosie, Webbie, Gucci, Philthy Rich, J Stalin,  OF, J Cole, T-Pain, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bishop Lamont, Ya Boy, San Quinn, OFWGKTA, or Black Eyed Peas?

AND what is your opinion on people not knowing what the word "hip-hop" truly means (MC, DJ, Graff, B-boy, and in some circles Beatboxing though I am unsure if 70s NY b-boys (Ken Swift, Bobbito ,Roc Steady, Bambaataa as well and guys like that) accept this as the "fifth" element) and calling it a synonym for "rap" (even though it is commonly associated with it) and totally forgetting about the other elements? And what do you call "rap", do you call it "hip-hop" or what? and does it bother you that people forget the other elements?

thanks for your time, I wanna see what you have to say.

This thread has a lot of different topics, I know, but bear in mind, it is semi related, I didnt want to make multiple threads and clog the boards:

Why cant there a rapper who keeps the good stuff coming time and time again AND who gets play on the radio?
Jeezy went away, Jay went away, even Em fell off (he brought it back though and is just as good as ever, though his old stuff is classic, I liked Recovery and I like his "newer" stuff as well, I am unsure if it is on an album, songs like GOAT, The Apple etc)? Why does the radio keep changing so frequently?  Drake hardly puts out !+% anymore, even non radio !+%, he's never on DD (digitaldripped.com, a site that has a lot of new music the day it leaks). I can understand people not having !+% to drop on the radio every month, but its not even that, it seems like they fell off when imo they didnt. I can also understand people wanting fresh !+% and new sounds, but imo some of the people that have "fallen off" are still good and i'm sure a lot of you would agree.

And whats with groups like OFWGKTA being the 3rd best seller in the country with 50k sales? How does such a whack group blow up so hard and receive so many breaks (Fallon, Billboard, coverage in New Yorker/ NY Times, message board hype, HB hype, praises from Kanye/Soulja Boy (not saying Soulja Boy is anyone, but people pay attention to him)) when there are SO many rappers who are not known and who not receive the attention do? I assume some of these underground rappers dont want the attention that OF is receiving, but still you know?

Here's another question I have; who do you consider to represent "hip-hop" out of the following (you can pick more than one, and I chose the whack ones on purpose just to see what your opinion of em is): Eminem, Jay-Z, Jeezy, Boosie, Webbie, Gucci, Philthy Rich, J Stalin,  OF, J Cole, T-Pain, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bishop Lamont, Ya Boy, San Quinn, OFWGKTA, or Black Eyed Peas?

AND what is your opinion on people not knowing what the word "hip-hop" truly means (MC, DJ, Graff, B-boy, and in some circles Beatboxing though I am unsure if 70s NY b-boys (Ken Swift, Bobbito ,Roc Steady, Bambaataa as well and guys like that) accept this as the "fifth" element) and calling it a synonym for "rap" (even though it is commonly associated with it) and totally forgetting about the other elements? And what do you call "rap", do you call it "hip-hop" or what? and does it bother you that people forget the other elements?

thanks for your time, I wanna see what you have to say.

You like Em but not OFWGKTA?

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

OF is intriguing because they are very DIFFERENT. While their artistic merit and actual talent is up for debate, they are not the same cookie-cutter rappers that myself and many others have grown immensely tired of. Yes, I would rather listen to a song about a triceratops and Bruno Mars crashing in a plane than hear Wiz Khalifa's 2,000th song about being really high and young and fresh.
And it's disgusting that you put J. Cole in the same category as Gucci Mane and Black Eyed Peas. If anything, Cole is part of the movement that will improve rap.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

OF is intriguing because they are very DIFFERENT. While their artistic merit and actual talent is up for debate, they are not the same cookie-cutter rappers that myself and many others have grown immensely tired of. Yes, I would rather listen to a song about a triceratops and Bruno Mars crashing in a plane than hear Wiz Khalifa's 2,000th song about being really high and young and fresh.
And it's disgusting that you put J. Cole in the same category as Gucci Mane and Black Eyed Peas. If anything, Cole is part of the movement that will improve rap.

laugh.gif
you like jeezy, jay and drake though...
seems like you just don't like anything thats different from the status quo.

laugh.gif
you like jeezy, jay and drake though...
seems like you just don't like anything thats different from the status quo.

1. Jay-Z never fell off. He has to keep people wanting more.
2. as far as OFWGKTA do you know what shock value is?
3. No one person represents hip hop. They all represent different aspects. Even odd future represents something about hiphop.
4.Our culture does a bad job of respecting its history so kids come up thinking wha they have now is the end all be all. I was born in 91 but I cared enough to figure out what the term Hip Hop really means.

3. No one person represents hip hop. They all represent different aspects. Even odd future represents something about hiphop.
4.Our culture does a bad job of respecting its history so kids come up thinking wha they have now is the end all be all. I was born in 91 but I cared enough to figure out what the term Hip Hop really means.

How are you gonna name Stalin, Quinn, Rich and Ya Boy like people outside the bay know them like that?
laugh.gif

How are you gonna name Stalin, Quinn, Rich and Ya Boy like people outside the bay know them like that?
laugh.gif

You seem really mad. This is like the 3rd different post I seen you hating on OF. It's cool NOT to like them but going around repeatedly spewing your hatred for them is lame.

You seem really mad. This is like the 3rd different post I seen you hating on OF. It's cool NOT to like them but going around repeatedly spewing your hatred for them is lame.

Hold up, the reason I put black eyed peas on the list was because they are on the radio and are being pushed a lot...NOT because I think they represent hip-hop....the list was just so I could show that some of those people (on the list) do not represent true hip-hop.

sonunox- sure OF is different and they arent as big as they could be (they arent on the radio around me, and I am from the Bay. (kmel would be the only station to play them imo, and I know they wouldnt because generally they dont play #%% like that you know? Sure they play SOME of the same #%% that 949, and those other poser stations play, but its not the same songs over and over again like those stations do).
Oh if you want Cole killin it, listen to "killers", "see it to believe it", and this one : http://hulkshare.com/z3glkattcbvp . the first two are on youtube. EVEN GUCCI'S "GANG BANGIN" IS real #%% imo, its on Youtube....cole is solid though...hiipower by kendrick as well.

ofenom- Jeezy seemed to me like a decent rapper (listen to put da whip on it, his first song, its on youtube), but where is he now? he rarely has any songs on DD (refer to first post for meaning) and thats all fresh leaks...I listen to local Bay stuff too, check out INFGANG when you have a chance as well as this (my friend who's trying to come up): he's rappin about real stuff just like philthy, stalin, Em, Jay, and J Cole....and sure even OF, but their songs seem amateurish and not real. Philthy and all the dudes I mentioned are saying inspirational #%% you know? where as OF are rappin bout weed, girls, and not going to school (aimed at kids their age and it seems like a publicity stunt more than really being in it like the dudes I mentioned)....Hell Jay came up selling and Em battled with bullys and moving and a rough home situation, not saying OF doesnt as well (I actually dont know), but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at. Plus the lyrical ability of the dudes I mentioned seems far above OF (tyler and earl and decent, but even em's infinite was better imo)...I'm kind of a big em fan if you couldnt tell by now.

HipHopdoc- I really appreciate you being the same age as me and taking the time to learn what came before you, if only more people did that instead of forgetting about the roots of hip-hop....True that Jay never fell off (I meant stopped having #%% on the radio, HE NEVER FELL OFF AND I DONT THINK HE EVER WILL)....what aspect of hip-hop does OF represent? (not hating, I just want a clarification because I dont quite understand)....

zube- I feel it man, I just brought them up because imo they are real with their #%%, at least some of their songs are you know? Stalin's Self Destruction is real as hell, as is Jacka's "callin my name" and even Mistah FAB (his new album has hella deep #%% on it, just check out lose everything....even his older stuff like teenage thug is deep for sure. you know?

Im Not You- the point of this thread wasnt to hate on OF, but to say how there are better rappers out there that never get heard and how people  are forgetting/ignoring the meaning of hip-hop. Some of their %+$ is good, cocainkeys for example, basically the opposite of what they say in the rest of their songs....I also like right here....but a lot of their rhymes are amateurish...."this track is peanut butter so we jam right here" that line from right here is kind of childish and corny imo...sure they are young, but come on. WHAT IS ELITIST ABOUT THIS STATEMENT? (RESPONSE TO BELOW POST)

also what is your OP on this one? (dropped like two days ago)
http://hulkshare.com/xxnch74z50no

What do you guys feel about dudes forgetting what the word hip-hop really means though?

Hold up, the reason I put black eyed peas on the list was because they are on the radio and are being pushed a lot...NOT because I think they represent hip-hop....the list was just so I could show that some of those people (on the list) do not represent true hip-hop.

sonunox- sure OF is different and they arent as big as they could be (they arent on the radio around me, and I am from the Bay. (kmel would be the only station to play them imo, and I know they wouldnt because generally they dont play #%% like that you know? Sure they play SOME of the same #%% that 949, and those other poser stations play, but its not the same songs over and over again like those stations do).
Oh if you want Cole killin it, listen to "killers", "see it to believe it", and this one : http://hulkshare.com/z3glkattcbvp . the first two are on youtube. EVEN GUCCI'S "GANG BANGIN" IS real #%% imo, its on Youtube....cole is solid though...hiipower by kendrick as well.

ofenom- Jeezy seemed to me like a decent rapper (listen to put da whip on it, his first song, its on youtube), but where is he now? he rarely has any songs on DD (refer to first post for meaning) and thats all fresh leaks...I listen to local Bay stuff too, check out INFGANG when you have a chance as well as this (my friend who's trying to come up): he's rappin about real stuff just like philthy, stalin, Em, Jay, and J Cole....and sure even OF, but their songs seem amateurish and not real. Philthy and all the dudes I mentioned are saying inspirational #%% you know? where as OF are rappin bout weed, girls, and not going to school (aimed at kids their age and it seems like a publicity stunt more than really being in it like the dudes I mentioned)....Hell Jay came up selling and Em battled with bullys and moving and a rough home situation, not saying OF doesnt as well (I actually dont know), but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at. Plus the lyrical ability of the dudes I mentioned seems far above OF (tyler and earl and decent, but even em's infinite was better imo)...I'm kind of a big em fan if you couldnt tell by now.

HipHopdoc- I really appreciate you being the same age as me and taking the time to learn what came before you, if only more people did that instead of forgetting about the roots of hip-hop....True that Jay never fell off (I meant stopped having #%% on the radio, HE NEVER FELL OFF AND I DONT THINK HE EVER WILL)....what aspect of hip-hop does OF represent? (not hating, I just want a clarification because I dont quite understand)....

zube- I feel it man, I just brought them up because imo they are real with their #%%, at least some of their songs are you know? Stalin's Self Destruction is real as hell, as is Jacka's "callin my name" and even Mistah FAB (his new album has hella deep #%% on it, just check out lose everything....even his older stuff like teenage thug is deep for sure. you know?

Im Not You- the point of this thread wasnt to hate on OF, but to say how there are better rappers out there that never get heard and how people  are forgetting/ignoring the meaning of hip-hop. Some of their %+$ is good, cocainkeys for example, basically the opposite of what they say in the rest of their songs....I also like right here....but a lot of their rhymes are amateurish...."this track is peanut butter so we jam right here" that line from right here is kind of childish and corny imo...sure they are young, but come on. WHAT IS ELITIST ABOUT THIS STATEMENT? (RESPONSE TO BELOW POST)

also what is your OP on this one? (dropped like two days ago)
http://hulkshare.com/xxnch74z50no

What do you guys feel about dudes forgetting what the word hip-hop really means though?

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

Def feel #4. The younger generation doesn't care about the past in any effect, whether it's Hip-Hop, American, etc. That goes for the younger generation of artists who have a tendency to be cocky and students. Everyone is a student at some point but most don't see it that way. But aey, can't really knock it. 
Now, the media is a major influence to this younger generation telling them what is hot and what is not. 80's babies (86 and older) respect lyricism and word play more. late 80's babies enjoy the heavy bass in a track, if it has it, they'll play it in their cars regardless of the context. The younger generation tends to like anything they can dance to or is catchy and is fed to em. 

Thats just a broad generalization so don't attack it like it's gospel (we know how yall like to attack the gospel
grin.gif

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

Def feel #4. The younger generation doesn't care about the past in any effect, whether it's Hip-Hop, American, etc. That goes for the younger generation of artists who have a tendency to be cocky and students. Everyone is a student at some point but most don't see it that way. But aey, can't really knock it. 
Now, the media is a major influence to this younger generation telling them what is hot and what is not. 80's babies (86 and older) respect lyricism and word play more. late 80's babies enjoy the heavy bass in a track, if it has it, they'll play it in their cars regardless of the context. The younger generation tends to like anything they can dance to or is catchy and is fed to em. 

Thats just a broad generalization so don't attack it like it's gospel (we know how yall like to attack the gospel
grin.gif

Bottom line, everybody and they mama wants to be a rapper for one reason or another, females, celebrity, get rich quick. In any other genre of music, you have to have some sort of actual talent (ability to sing, ability to play a musical instrument). Rap is the only form of music that any average Joe six-pack can do. All you need is a computer, headphones, a mic, a recording program and an instrumental and poof your a rapper. Not to mention every rapper is like a carbon copy of the next, same clothes same lyrics same song themes its all about trends. When 50 dropped, all the rappers started hittin the gym, now you gotta have tight clothes with tattoos from the neck down. Back in the day it was all about originality, it wasnt cool to bite somebody elses style or copy what somebody else did, and if you did you were called out for it.  

My opinion, they need to make like a retirement plan for rappers so they can go out with dignity, and preserve the history of hip hop. Too many great rappers and great songs and great albums are being forgotten about by the minute, rappers need to know when to hang it up and just face that they aint got it anymore, because they are ruining thier own legacy by putting out mediocre lack-luster releases, which in turn makes them has-beens or played out. 

What you have is the older generation of fans still wanting real hip hop but the fact is it will never be the same, the game is so saturated and watered down to ever be like it was, and its hard to accept that. You gotta be progressive and accept that the MC is a thing of the past, and stop fighting it. Just do what I do, enjoy the classics and listen to classic albums if you want to hear true lyricists. However I try to be progressive and keep up with new rappers but its hard because it seems like every new artist is hit and miss, nobody is consistant and everybody will potentially sell out with the drop of a hat! There is hope that rap will come back to its proper form but dont hold your breath.

All the older rappers are stuck in thier ways, they depend on major labels for everything; budget, marketing, production, magazine adds, video, radio play, and with the decline of major labels avoiding rap due to limited success rate, older rappers are always in and out of contracts and label hopping and projects getting pushed back hardly ever putting out new material. I always hear them complaining and talkin bout the label wont do this or the label pushed thier project back blah blah, they lazy and dont think they gotta stoop to that level to be in control of thier identity as an artist, they just blame the label.   

I cant speak about the whole OF because I only mess with Tyler and Earl right now, but they are the epitome of Rap, lyrically they arent crazy nice wit it but come on who is anymore? At least they are thinking outside the box and being proactive. I actually also support Lil B, which people kill me with the hate for him, I mean ok he is not the best lyrically, but neither was Nore and he was highly successful. Lil B is dedicated to his fans, he is ahead of his time, he does most of his own production, makes all his videos, drops mixtapes every month, he is controversial, and hella funny, he created his own loyal fanbase from scratch and has his destiny in his own hands, and its kinda like routing for the underdog, hes on the brink of something special or fumble and deflate, who knows? You dont see that anymore in rap, you just think rapper; rediculous jewelry, flashy cars, sex with multiple partners, liquor, drugs. Nowdays, hip hop is a dance/club type of music, where as in the 90's it was more rebellious, voice of our generation type of music. Rap is almost disco.

Bottom line, everybody and they mama wants to be a rapper for one reason or another, females, celebrity, get rich quick. In any other genre of music, you have to have some sort of actual talent (ability to sing, ability to play a musical instrument). Rap is the only form of music that any average Joe six-pack can do. All you need is a computer, headphones, a mic, a recording program and an instrumental and poof your a rapper. Not to mention every rapper is like a carbon copy of the next, same clothes same lyrics same song themes its all about trends. When 50 dropped, all the rappers started hittin the gym, now you gotta have tight clothes with tattoos from the neck down. Back in the day it was all about originality, it wasnt cool to bite somebody elses style or copy what somebody else did, and if you did you were called out for it.  

My opinion, they need to make like a retirement plan for rappers so they can go out with dignity, and preserve the history of hip hop. Too many great rappers and great songs and great albums are being forgotten about by the minute, rappers need to know when to hang it up and just face that they aint got it anymore, because they are ruining thier own legacy by putting out mediocre lack-luster releases, which in turn makes them has-beens or played out. 

What you have is the older generation of fans still wanting real hip hop but the fact is it will never be the same, the game is so saturated and watered down to ever be like it was, and its hard to accept that. You gotta be progressive and accept that the MC is a thing of the past, and stop fighting it. Just do what I do, enjoy the classics and listen to classic albums if you want to hear true lyricists. However I try to be progressive and keep up with new rappers but its hard because it seems like every new artist is hit and miss, nobody is consistant and everybody will potentially sell out with the drop of a hat! There is hope that rap will come back to its proper form but dont hold your breath.

All the older rappers are stuck in thier ways, they depend on major labels for everything; budget, marketing, production, magazine adds, video, radio play, and with the decline of major labels avoiding rap due to limited success rate, older rappers are always in and out of contracts and label hopping and projects getting pushed back hardly ever putting out new material. I always hear them complaining and talkin bout the label wont do this or the label pushed thier project back blah blah, they lazy and dont think they gotta stoop to that level to be in control of thier identity as an artist, they just blame the label.   

I cant speak about the whole OF because I only mess with Tyler and Earl right now, but they are the epitome of Rap, lyrically they arent crazy nice wit it but come on who is anymore? At least they are thinking outside the box and being proactive. I actually also support Lil B, which people kill me with the hate for him, I mean ok he is not the best lyrically, but neither was Nore and he was highly successful. Lil B is dedicated to his fans, he is ahead of his time, he does most of his own production, makes all his videos, drops mixtapes every month, he is controversial, and hella funny, he created his own loyal fanbase from scratch and has his destiny in his own hands, and its kinda like routing for the underdog, hes on the brink of something special or fumble and deflate, who knows? You dont see that anymore in rap, you just think rapper; rediculous jewelry, flashy cars, sex with multiple partners, liquor, drugs. Nowdays, hip hop is a dance/club type of music, where as in the 90's it was more rebellious, voice of our generation type of music. Rap is almost disco.

Originally Posted by yungdeadmike

Real %!@# 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by yungdeadmike

Real %!@# 
pimp.gif

I'll be the first to admit the Black Eyed Peas newer material is awful, but what's up with the hate? Go back and listen to their pre-Fergie stuff and get back to me. The A.T.B.A.N. Klann and BEP's first 2 albums were dope. Will.i.am was also a battle rapper back in the day and was known for beating Twista, if I'm not mistaken. If that isn't some kind of representation of hip-hop (whatever this means), I don't know what is.

Back
Top Bottom